Do we need a power calculation change?

I am no expert on the subject, but it seems well known that hp/prot is weighed more heavily towards a characters power than other stats. While this has been mentioned before, I haven't seen many ask for a change.

This impacts us in several ways, although the level of impact varies:
1. In GW, by the teams you are matched against.
2. Arena, when viewing another teams power.
3. The perception of ones own roster due to the way they sort.

If they could change this system, I think the result would be great for everyone. Hp/prot could still weigh heavily towards power for tanks & healers. For attackers though they could make other stats like speed, crit chance/damage, & offense more valuable.

I know not all tanks are the exact same (you may stack speed on han but wouldnt on chewie for example), but just making attackers as a group weigh stats differently would be a positive change imo. Although, it would be great if they could set them individually for each character.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The biggest problem with power calculations is that skills, especially zetas, have little to no effect on it.

That minor change will should help with GW.

The other 2 points you make are just visual, and with the addition of the favorites tab, you can get around #3.

Just like ship arena you can't judge a team by the power, because it doesn't account for synergy (or abilities as I mentioned). That's always going to be "tribal" knowledge that helps you make those decisions.
  • Maybe if they didnt change much just let ability levels impact the power of characters?
    I think damage changes power a bit too
  • AnonymousMeh
    357 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    That would be great if they could take zetas into account. And I agree the 2nd point isn't as big of a deal because they can't take team synergy into account.

I think the 3rd would help newer players more than the ones with more knowledge though. When you have two characters with the same gear/star level but one has more power, it may make you think that the one with more power is better. Which is probably why people run such weird combos as the arena ranks drop (some random chewie, phasma, lumi, & a couple others that are more damage sponges or utility than attackers).

I do agree just using ability levels/zetas as a factor would be a huge improvement by itself. The other change would be cool but probably alot more work than it would be worth.
  • Wait. everytime they change the calculation everyone flips out because their power changes, and then they change it back.
  • I think everyone freaks out more because they think their toons were nerfed somehow & just don't realize it was just a change to the way the number was calculated. Making sure that the community was informed of the changes before they occurred (and being specific to what they were) would help prevent people from freaking out...actually it probably wouldn't, lol.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    MBL_66 wrote: »
    Power means nothing

I will give you that, but one benefit would be if they fix it to account for ability lvl's then we might see less complaints about GW.

I would literally pay money to see that...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    MBL_66 wrote: »
    Power means nothing

I will give you that, but one benefit would be if they fix it to account for ability lvl's then we might see less complaints about GW.

I would literally pay money to see that...

to see less complaints, or to have abilities influence powerrating?
    if it's to see less complaints, for only 5 bucks a month i won't complain about GW on the forum ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!