Shard Shop is stone useless for whales. Why?

Prev1345
Disclaimer: I'm a high spender and this entire post is geared towards the opinion of other like minded high spenders.

I've been eagerly awaiting the Shard Shop to "spend" bonus shards that have been sitting in my stash for a while now, as I'd opened a lot of packs in the beginning and I have many extra. I knew this when buying packs (they've said for a while now a shop was coming) and I was content on sitting on them in the meantime because I believed CG would inevitably incorporate something in to the game that I could spend them on.

Well, as I'd feared, the Shard Shop seemingly only sells more character shards.

My issue with this is simply that the shop does not offer any real utility to high spenders. If we have a lot of extra shards, it will be almost impossible to spend them now. I probably have more than I'll ever be able to use. Which means I still cannot warrant purchasing more packs - if there are new characters I'd like to collect some day, and I wanted to open some packs to try to get shards for them, the amount of surplus shards I would be collecting would be too high of a ratio to warrant making that purchase.

Without actually giving us ANYTHING else to spend our Shard Shop currency on, we are now locked in to only being able to stare at more shards for characters we already own.

Why is this shop only Character Shards? Why couldn't there be ANYTHING else for us to spend it on? Energy recharges? Credits? Gear? Ability Ups? AAAAAANYTHING else to use this on would give it some utility whatsoever.

As it is, this shop is basically useless for your high spenders. While it's GREAT for F2P and I'm really excited for them, it's a real disappointment that this feature only appeals to one demographic, and does not contain something everyone can be excited for, regardless of your spending bracket.

Replies

• I am f2p and I 100% agree with you. There should be something for you to purchase. Having only character shards is silly considering there is a high likelihood you have all characters already.

I hope they add gear or ability ups or shard only toons for players like you to utilize the shop. This feature should target as many demographics as possible.
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    I have spent a lot and have spare shards and I disagree with you.. We have spent hundreds/thousands to rush development of our heros and progress it is not EAs fault we essentially completed the game within weeks of the game being released, the packs are a lottery I buy them tying to get all heros to 7* not to collect shards, and obviously the more you spend the rewards are smaller because you have all heros, I knew nothing of shard shop before I piled money into the game so anything they offer me if just fine with me.
  • I do believe they said certain toons will only be obtainable through the shard shop.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    @Naecabon - I think you're jumping the gun here. There could be unique characters only available through this mechanism. Also, it's nearly useless for F2P, they can't afford to get extra shards past 7*, they can barely get enough 7* to remain competitive as it is.
    The devil is in the details. We need the details here.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Kaat
    41 posts Member
    I thought/think the purple ability mats would be good for the shard shop. It is something I would imagine all whales need a lot of.

Agree energy, gear, credits, training droids would all be useful too, but they might be worried about losing crystal sales.

Also it really doesn't effect f2p, unless the trade in rate is something ridiculously low to the point it is worth buying GW/arena shipments for characters you already have 7*. As it stands right now it will help the big spenders that aren't quite whales, that have 7* some of the chromium, but not all yet.
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    It benefits everyone the shop cuz almost everyone had lumi maxed and can easily farm her for shards.
  • TheaPevahr
    14 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Dario wrote: »
    I have spent a lot and have spare shards and I disagree with you.. We have spent hundreds/thousands to rush development of our heros and progress it is not EAs fault we essentially completed the game within weeks of the game being released, the packs are a lottery I buy them tying to get all heros to 7* not to collect shards, and obviously the more you spend the rewards are smaller because you have all heros, I knew nothing of shard shop before I piled money into the game so anything they offer me if just fine with me.

Are you trying to say that you are happy with the system because you have several 7* characters with some extra shards, but not all 7* characters? The shard shop is best for people in your case where you do have some extra shards, but not all toons maxed. From a F2P standpoint, generating tons of excess shards at 7* is going to be difficult and the shard shop will moderately impact that player base. From the whale standpoint, it's useless. From your playerbase standpoint, you and others have spent possibly $1k-$2k but that doesn't give you all toons at 7* is the happiest group as they can actually use it the most. I'd say his post is still 100% valid and I hope to see a small revamp of the shop for players like himself, who are literally begging the devs to give them a reason to spend money but are getting none.
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    I am saying I am a whale and Iam not crying about the shop because I've spent a fortune and demand extra stuff, Iam glad rewards might be naff because it makes it fair for everyone which is great.
  • I mean, I'm a whale and I look forward to it. I've got plenty of characters I want to 7* and try out that I didn't get through Chromium due to bad drops, and it makes it so the ridiculous amount of money I've already spent gets additional value (Lookin at you, Lando).
  • in the update preview i thought @EA_Jesse stated that there would be an exclusive character that the community had been asking for in the shard shop. maybe i misread it, the post was taken down so i cant view it. i guess they moved it over to the events table. makes sense, making the exclusive character require 5x7* jedi to complete could lead to more sales for them. guess we'll find out, kinda dissapointed there was only one new secret identity character added. =(
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    My best guess is shard shop will have pay only heros in it.
  • I'm hoping for shard shop only characters. And Lando.
  • The shard shop cannot be refreshed and only fills once a day, meaning exclusive shards for "shop only" characters will be easily obtainable. I could probably keep up with a once a day purchase there from just buying shipments from GW/Squad, nevermind from packs.
    I am saying I am a whale and Iam not crying about the shop because I've spent a fortune and demand extra stuff, Iam glad rewards might be naff because it makes it fair for everyone which is great.

You are clearly, obviously, not even close to a whale. There's nothing to be excited for here.

Rushing development doesn't excuse the fact that we are allowed to open "blanks" by purchasing packs once we have 7* characters. Making us limited in refreshes, and only selling things we can already max out of, means we're still "capped" in what we're purchasing.

Gear is, for the most part, a more never-ending thing to be buying. It IS finite, of course, but the reality of that is very broad. Obviously, we aren't at a place where we have every single character fully geared up, so gear will have purpose for a long, long time.

I have every single character at 7*. What am I supposed to do with the Shard Shop? Nothing? So that's it? Has CG truly designed a game where I'm now sitting on a currency I can never use by over supporting their game?
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    dude.. I am not overly excited for shard shop Iam happy for it but Iam not going to cry because I have millions of shards left over, it was your choice to spend X-amount of cash to get every hero 7* ( probs talking crap ) the game isn't designed to get every hero 7* within a week... Pay heros will get rotated giving everyone equal opportunity as for opening blanks that was your choice to do it! You willingly bought and opened them packs not knowing about the shard shop. So because you spent thousands on the game you expect what? I agree it's frustrating have spent a fortune and have shards left over but that's the price we pay for wanting all heros.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Dario wrote: »
    dude.. I am not overly excited for shard shop Iam happy for it but Iam not going to cry because I have millions of shards left over, it was your choice to spend X-amount of cash to get every hero 7* ( probs talking crap ) the game isn't designed to get every hero 7* within a week... Pay heros will get rotated giving everyone equal opportunity as for opening blanks that was your choice to do it! You willingly bought and opened them packs not knowing about the shard shop. So because you spent thousands on the game you expect what? I agree it's frustrating have spent a fortune and have shards left over but that's the price we pay for wanting all heros.

It's really frustrating dealing with people like you, so I'm going to do my best and keep this simple because the more I dwell on responding to ludicrously blind comments like this, the more this post will lose focus.

1. Offering something for sale that is essentially giving us nothing is, in a sense, a rip off. If they're going to sell something to us, we should be able to use it for something. Anything. Allowing us to open blanks is unacceptable business practice. They know this, and they've implemented the Shard Shop as a way to "fix" this clear scam in place. CG may be making the game, but they're bought and paid for by EA, and make no mistake - EA is one of the biggest craziest freemium scammers out there. They have no remorse, create bonkers pay models and if this wasn't Star Wars I wouldn't be paying a cent. And they know this.

2. No one is crying. Pointing out a flaw in a business model is not crying. This IS a flaw in the business model. I am currently able to buy something for real dollars in a game they've designed that nets me nothing in return. Saying "this seems like a bad business practice" is not crying about anything, it's pointing out a bad business practice. Childish terminology such as "crying" should be left to posts about things like buffs or nerfs or PvP. This is about money, a freemium model and the lack of cost-to-reward.

3. ALL FREEMIUM GAMES ARE DESIGNED TO HAVE 7* IN A WEEK IF YOU'RE A SPENDER. WAKE UP. THIS IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF FREEMIUM MODELS. Is this your first app game?! They're literally ALL DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU SPEND MONEY TO HAVE IT RIGHT AWAY. To say "This game isn't designed to get every hero 7* within a week" is a F2P statement. I put a disclaimer right at the top that said I was a spender. You even tried to claim you are also a spender. Making comments like this proves you are not a spender.

4. Because I spent THOUSANDS in a VIDEO GAME I actually expect to RECEIVE SOMETHING for that money. Can someone actually say the following sentence: "So because you spent thousands on the game you expect what?" and seriously stare at it and not have brain matter leak out of their ears? Can you just repeat that to yourself out loud a few times and really hear what you're saying? You think it's acceptable practice that someone can spend THOUSANDS, in a VIDEO GAME, and actually think they're going to just shrug at occasionally receiving NOTHING for some of that money? How is this real life...
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    If this comes out and there's some cool new character only in this shop, you're going to feel a bit silly.
    And weren't they saying from the start that this would be for trading character shards for other character shards? I'm not sure why you were expecting something else.
    Anyway I understand your frustration and if it really is only for shards for existing characters I am with you. But I don't think it will be. Because they know what you are saying here is true also, and they do want to give you a reason to keep whaling away. :)
  • Naecabon wrote: »

I have every single character at 7*. What am I supposed to do with the Shard Shop? Nothing? So that's it? Has CG truly designed a game where I'm now sitting on a currency I can never use by over supporting their game?

1 Person spending a couple thousand or a couple thousand spending $10-$50 bucks. Do the math, your happiness is nothing, if not the problem. Gratz on beating the game though.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Naecabon wrote: »

1 Person spending a couple thousand or a couple thousand spending $10-$50 bucks. Do the math, your happiness is nothing, if not the problem. Gratz on beating the game though.

But how does modifying the Shop in place hurt anyone? I don't understand ridiculously salty comments like this. Why is this me vs you? Why do you care? I certainly don't care about you at all, so why the spitting of fire? Why can't we all win?

Why do low spenders give a crap about what we spend? I could not care less about what you spend, so why is vice versa so evil? Why can't we all just want a system that benefits everyone?

Seriously guys, what the hell is wrong with some of you... one person asks for a system that gives everyone something to look forward to and not just specific demographics and you all act like I'm asking for free stuff here... No one loses in a system where everyone wins.
  • It seems like the shard shop will likely have new characters as they are released as well as some unique characters not otherwise available (as Qeltar said, the devil is in the details). In the beginning there may only be one or two new characters, but I suspect that will increase over time.

Assuming this is correct, you will now be able to turn in previously useless excess shards for these new and possibly shard shop unique toons, without having to spend extra money on packs.

Now is it possible that you have enough shards that you can convert them all and buy every new shard shop toon and still have left over currency from the conversion? Sure, but you still converted a portion of previously useless shards into new toons without paying more money.

Now, if they open the shop and it only has ewok scout and JK Guardian shards, I can see how that would be disappointing, but that seems unlikely.

I would encourage people to wait and see what the shop offers before passing judgement.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    If this comes out and there's some cool new character only in this shop, you're going to feel a bit silly.
    And weren't they saying from the start that this would be for trading character shards for other character shards? I'm not sure why you were expecting something else.
    Anyway I understand your frustration and if it really is only for shards for existing characters I am with you. But I don't think it will be. Because they know what you are saying here is true also, and they do want to give you a reason to keep whaling away. :)

But one character in the shop isn't a big deal. That means nothing to me. They've already stated you cannot refresh the shop more than once a day. Isn't it obvious what this means? It means everyone will be able to get that one purchase of the one exclusive guy each day, and whales can't just 7* it in a day so f2p don't scream about it. The Shard Shop exclusive is basically a free gimme to everyone on an equal footing so we all have the unique guy.

The point is, one guy isn't tipping the scales in any way on having a large surplus of shards.

And I was expecting something else because for months now, the devs have responded on Reddit talking about how we'd be able to use our extra shards and how we'd be "very pleased" with how it would be implemented. This was a direct response to a post by me about how some of us have all of the characters and extra shards and nothing to do with it. So if they say that, in response to that, I guess I have higher expectations.

• Dario
    326 posts Member
    I have spend a grand on the game maybe not as much as you but still it's a lot all Iam saying is we made a choice to buy packs knowing the risks and rewards, your not getting scammed or ripped off buying packs... Use that logic on a lotto ticket.. I won nothing ive been scammed! It's a rip off! NO.. It's blind luck.. We have a shard shop with exclusive heros and who knows what will be added in the future! This is enough for me Iam happy with this because it's better than nothing! So my original question still stands what do you expect ? the update hasn't even arrived yet and your assuming you know what's going to be in the shop and complaining you want this.. And that.. Chill out relax play the game and wait Iam pretty sure In the future updates these extra shards will be used for something.
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Qeltar wrote: »

But one character in the shop isn't a big deal. That means nothing to me. They've already stated you cannot refresh the shop more than once a day. Isn't it obvious what this means? It means everyone will be able to get that one purchase of the one exclusive guy each day, and whales can't just 7* it in a day so f2p don't scream about it. The Shard Shop exclusive is basically a free gimme to everyone on an equal footing so we all have the unique guy.

The point is, one guy isn't tipping the scales in any way on having a large surplus of shards.

And I was expecting something else because for months now, the devs have responded on Reddit talking about how we'd be able to use our extra shards and how we'd be "very pleased" with how it would be implemented. This was a direct response to a post by me about how some of us have all of the characters and extra shards and nothing to do with it. So if they say that, in response to that, I guess I have higher expectations.
    Maybe there's 5 heros in the shop, f2p can't buy 5 a day.. Maybe it's 20 shards for 5 exclusive shards, f2p cannot but that daily... Wait for it to go live because you have no clue, voice your disappointment after you have seen it until then it's speculation.

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    That's not how I'm reading it. I am reading it as you would still need lots of shards, but you just wouldn't be able to spend them all immediately with lots of refreshes. Also, I'm not sure it's only one character.
    Suppose for example it's a 10:1 trade-in on Yoda or Grievous or whatever. You need 3,300 shards to get him to 7*. And suppose you can only trade in 50 shards per day. So it's going to take you 2 months to get him fully.
    Do you REALLY think that F2Pers are going to EVER be able to get this guy? Most players of this game don't even have 3,300 total shards after 2 months of solid play.
    What I am saying is.. this could still very much be for whales, we really don't know, and you should wait. If it's as you say I will support your rants after the update drops 100%. :)
    Eh, that dev on Reddit tends to shoot his mouth off and make lots of vague promises, unfortunately.
    P.S. You need to remember that you are, as you put it, "the whaliest of whales". It is not always possible to tailor a game to the extremes. There are many whales who have spent a lot and don't have everything at 7* and 10,000 extras left over. They would be very happy to have a chance to get those last 2 shards for Old Ben without having to spend another $n00 on chrome packs. I'm sure they want to keep you spending, but they may not be able to design a feature that would make you optimally happy while still appealing to the 99.99% below you.
  • Crying about something that isn't even released yet.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • LoveLoveRice
    182 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Let me make this simple. People like you ruin the game for the majority (where the actual money comes from.) Stop acting entitled to everything. Everyone knows if people can just buy the best at the start, those games never last. I applaud CG for keeping it healthy and long lasting. Don't get me wrong I spent enough to 7*/6* every toon and finish them up at my convenience, to keep the game lively for me.

edited
    Post edited by FashionFett on
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Let me make this simple. People like you ruin the game for the majority (where the actual money comes from.)
    You've said this twice now, but you're mistaken. The majority of income for these games comes from the big spenders, not the $10 or $20 ones. There are countless studies. That's why they design them the way they do.
  • Hey, Papa John? It's me Whale.

How you doing buddy?

Good good. I just finished the pizza you sent over earlier. Fantastic as always.

Great to hear, Whale.

Love you guys. That's why I spent $10,000 on your pizza last month and will probably spend $10,000 more next month.

We Love your business, Whale.

But here's the problem. I'm still hungry. Can you send over a free pizza right now?

You know, you buy so much, we always give you a 30% discount already.

Yeah but I spend so much, I feel like I deserve a free one right now.

Technically you've gotten $3,000 in free pizza by spending $10,000, Whale.

Yeah but what have you done for me lately, Papa John?

Well that last order, we gave you 5 pizzas for the price of 3...

That hardly counts as a free gift, Pops.

I'm mean, well, technically--

Technically smechnically. Either you value my business with a free pizza right now or you can kiss me goodbye.

Whale, calm down, man. You are receiving every pizza you pay for plus some every time. You have tried every single possible combination of our millions of possibilities.

And now I wanna try something new. For free. How do you not get this. Send over 5 free pizzas now or else, John.

5..? A second so it was 1.

Well times have changed, Papa. Keep stalling and I'll make it 10.

No one should eat this much pizza, Whale.

Don't tell me how to eat! Just send the free pizza.

I'd be happy to send you 3 free, Whale, if you buy 5--

Buy more? MOAR?!?! Do I look like a clown?

No, you look like a whale.

Exactly. Now give me what I deserve, John.

I am not entirely sure you get the core concept of business.

What's not to get? I pay for some stuff, you give me *everything* else free. This is 'Murica!

Well Whale, "Murica" also has CiCi's all you can eat buffet for $4.99.

Give me that then.

We aren't CiCi's, Whale.

Well you better get your act together and rabble rabble rabble... *click* Wait... Hello?....Hello? Papa John did you hang up on me?.... Grrrrr rabble rabble rabble.....

This script brought to you by Nationwide, proud sponsor of Peyton Mannings everywhere. Papa John's is on your side.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Let me make this simple. People like you ruin the game for the majority (where the actual money comes from.)
    You've said this twice now, but you're mistaken. The majority of income for these games comes from the big spenders, not the $10 or $20 ones. There are countless studies. That's why they design them the way they do.

How many actual big spenders are their vs all the micro transactions. I will concede the point, if I saw evidence, It is simple math. How many total players in the game split into big and non big spenders. I could very well be wrong, I just want to see the data. If that is in fact the case, the big spenders got the shaft and it still makes it all that more funny.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Capture.JPG
    Top 10% of spenders generate 64% of revenues.
  • I like it, as a heavy spender myself
    You don't buy chromium packs to get ability mats, gear, droids or money. You buy chromium packs for SHARDS and only shards. I would have been extremely disappointed if I couldn't swap my extra shards for more shards