Shard Shop is stone useless for whales. Why?

Replies

• Maybe the bonus energy will help with the gear.
  • When you open a chromium it shouldn't pull characters that are already 7*. Even if you didn't promote them yet there is an exact amount of shards required to max to 7*. If you have the required amount it shouldn't award you more. Im sure it was designed this way so folks like the OP continue to drop money until they get what they want. However for me it's the reason why I stopped buying them and I'm sure that was part of the design too.

It takes 80 shards to unlock a 4* character but if I open a 4* in a chromium and I already own that character I only get 32 shards. That's less than half of the shards I would have received had I not owned that character. I always thought that was unfair but when I receive shards for a character that is 7* they are now worth less. I'm pretty sure there won't be a 1:1 conversion rate in the shard shop so the 32 shards I pulled are going to worth almost nothing. So why would I buy more?

I don't know what spending level qualifies you as a whale but i could have bought over 30 console games for what I have invested. However my spending has almost come to a complete stop because of these chromium packs. Unless they fix it so you don't receive shards for maxed out characters I will never buy another. Also if you pull a 4* character that you already have it should give you 80 shards not 32. I know that will never happen but something has to change with chromium packs to make folks buy them again. Even if they release new chromium only toons I won't buy them if I know I might get another 32 Jedi consular shards that could be worth 8 in the shard shop.

I'm looking forward to the shard shop though so I can do something with my extra shards.
  • Boxandthefuzz
    362 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I like the idea of the shard shop, but the trade in value is bogus. I had 36 Bobba Fett shards and I got the equivalent of 4 new shards when I choose to cash them in. I really think it should be 1 for 1.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Telaan wrote: »
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Capture.JPG
    Top 10% of spenders generate 64% of revenues.

The only problem I have with these graphs is it doesn't show what the amounts are that they're using to determine the top 10%.

Also, this game has poorly designed IAP that discourages Dolphins from purchasing. I've also noticed that dolphins in this game would be killer whales in many others. The cost and ROI is atrocious. I am in this category.

That's exactly right, in fact, I may actally be a whale in that graph yet some other guy spends another 2k more than me. I suspect that graphs top 10 percent includes dolphins. Many more folks spending 300 bucks than 3000. I've spent enough to be whale. If you spent 5x what I did.. Congrats. If I went solely on my server I would easily top 5 percent of spenders and I haven't dropped 3 grand. 300? Easy. We aren't talking about whales here we are talking about seas. Absolutely pointless graph. Meaningless, perhaps an attempt to give credit to the OP with no basis in reality.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    J7000 wrote: »
    Telaan wrote: »
    Capture.JPG

The only problem I have with these graphs is it doesn't show what the amounts are that they're using to determine the top 10%.

Also, this game has poorly designed IAP that discourages Dolphins from purchasing. I've also noticed that dolphins in this game would be killer whales in many others. The cost and ROI is atrocious. I am in this category.

That's exactly right, in fact, I may actally be a whale in that graph yet some other guy spends another 2k more than me. I suspect that graphs top 10 percent includes dolphins. Many more folks spending 300 bucks than 3000. I've spent enough to be whale. If you spent 5x what I did.. Congrats. If I went solely on my server I would easily top 5 percent of spenders and I haven't dropped 3 grand. 300? Easy. We aren't talking about whales here we are talking about seas. Absolutely pointless graph. Meaningless, perhaps an attempt to give credit to the OP with no basis in reality.
    While that's true, if we could see the graphic more granular, the first 1% of that 10% spend as much as the next 9%
  • Castaspella
    354 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    edited.

This post is perfect. 11/10. So good, it's worth quoting twice - it had nothing to do with phonr, promise.

Post edited by FashionFett on
  • The shard shop is only useful for obtaining exclusive char shards (very expensive). But given that the word "exclusive" might be a display bug after 3 months, it's not worth it.

"The char will remain exclusive until you unlock it" lol.
  • I'd say that uber whales (not including me, having personally opened about 800 Chromiums), the ones with all characters at 7*, or at least holding the shards to upgrade me to that point - probably the $10k+ crowd, make up an outsized, but not overwhelming percentage of revenue. Of the millions who have (Or will) pay into this game, it's probably less than 1,000 (maybe 500?) who have spent that much. These few hundred players, while already big contributors (that's a few million dollars there), aren't remotely as important as the millions who could pay into the game over time.

The top 0.001% is super good to have, but isn't the main audience.

All that said, as a top 1%'er, the shard shop is perfect!
  • Shard shop is not great. It will take 6 months to 7 star an exclusive shard shop character. Like I don't get it at all,they had a huge exchange rate AND it can't be refreshed?

It is mostly useless
  • Dario wrote: »
    It benefits everyone the shop cuz almost everyone had lumi maxed and can easily farm her for shards.

Who would spend 1600 GW tokens to get 2 shards of another toon? If you find someone please send them my way I have beachfront property in Antarctica to sell them.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    d3gauss wrote: »
    Shard shop is not great. It will take 6 months to 7 star an exclusive shard shop character. Like I don't get it at all,they had a huge exchange rate AND it can't be refreshed?

It is mostly useless

The Devs stated that the exclusive toon will be a faster farm than regular toons.
  • Telaan wrote: »
    d3gauss wrote: »
    Shard shop is not great. It will take 6 months to 7 star an exclusive shard shop character. Like I don't get it at all,they had a huge exchange rate AND it can't be refreshed?

It is mostly useless

The Devs stated that the exclusive toon will be a faster farm than regular toons.

@Telaan where?
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Someone posted a quote earlier from a Dev on Reddit. I don't remember which thread, sorry.
  • Found it, super freaking vague, also said he expects the shard shop to grow and change
  • Dario wrote: »
    It benefits everyone the shop cuz almost everyone had lumi maxed and can easily farm her for shards.

Who would spend 1600 GW tokens to get 2 shards of another toon? If you find someone please send them my way I have beachfront property in Antarctica to sell them.

What if u already have all the gw guys at 7*?
  • I am in no way a whale (spent around $30) and I can definitely see the point of view being expressed by the OP. A lot of you giving whales a hard time must be very young or don't work for what you have. Why would anyone, regardless of the amount they spend, want to get absolutely nothing in return for money they spent? How can anyone say that is fair?

Sure, the shard shop may very well be worth it still for whales if there are enough exclusive characters to be obtained. However, being able to buy other in game items is a really good idea. And something CG should stil consider.
  • There will be a lot of former whales after the shard shop.
    Team iNstinct -- teaminstinct.net
  • Psychor
    35 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Before those with a ton of spare shards go crazy crying up a storm why not wait until we see what new character CG adds to the shard shop at the end of Feb. CG has stated that they will be adding one.

Now, if the new character can only be purchased 2 shards at a time with the current shard shop time lock I expect whales to go crazy and rightfully so. That would be a sucker punch and would also slow down my willingness to spend additional money on this game.
  • Harmonica wrote: »
    There will be a lot of former whales after the shard shop.

I'm one of em. Looked back at my earlier post, and realized that I was stupid for expecting anything but fail out of an EA subsidiary when it comes to finding ways to screw the people that actually pay for their games.

It's OK though, I'm gonna force myself to play a bunch of cracked copies of bad EA games (I've always wanted to try a Madden game, just to see if I can find out why it's the sports game version of heroin). That way I can feel disappointed without paying a dime, too.
  • As £1000.00 spender. I will be unlikely to spend any more unless the shard shop is revised, or the chromium rewards are bias towards characters I do not have at 7*.

The current model is not a valuable return on my investment. Its as simple as that. It's not a moan, or otherwise, it's a simple calculated decision.

• Hey I'm back in this thread again. Yah you were right, the shard shop was lame, first day and they try to sell me back the characters I just sharded lol.
  • yeah I got the vader shards......but I still feel like they kicked me in the nuts. Nearly 20k in shop currency and i'm going to just sit on it because it's such a bad deal to try and make anything useful out of it I feel better seeing that somewhat big number just floating there taunting me with its meaninglessness.

seriously? to 7* an exclusive shard shop character will take 6+months IF it were to be put up every single day and cost an INSANE amount of money to fuel the purchase of all those shards. talk about a crappy exchange rate. Think i'll have to pass on chromium packs as they are a complete rip off as pretty much anything I get would end up being converted to super expensive currency. Before I spent a lot of money, not as much as super whales, so i'd consider myself at least a dolphin at 2500+ invested but even at that i'm only half way to being able to get a 7* shop exclusive......so CG's assertion is that a shard shop exlusive character is worth roughly $5000 and 6 months of waiting? seriously? that's bonkers. Gonna be converting to mostly f2p. yeah I'll get a few crystals to fuel a few more recharges but i'm done with chromiums as they are such a rip off. perhaps my last investment for some time coming in next couple days.

le sigh.
  • At the very least, characters that are available in Cantina, Arena, and GW should be removed from the shop.

No idea why it is not refreshable either, that's just more money for EA/CG.

It's just a total hash.
  • and who are we kidding shard shop exlcusive will be given to all new players for $5 in about 3 months, amriright? :)
  • lol I just checked the shard shop.
    traded 18 shards and got 245 credits, still cant get 2 stupid shards for 300 credits. this is a joke.
  • now if only they could remove the chance of getting shards for character we already have 7*'d? other then that I can't imagine why i'd want to waste money on chromiums...not until there are crap ton more characters to mimmize the chance of pulling 7*'d characters :(
  • yeah its only 15 currency per shard....so 10:1 conversion rate.
  • The shard shop was such a let down.
  • FashionFett
    891 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    klay wrote: »
    I am in no way a whale (spent around $30) and I can definitely see the point of view being expressed by the OP. A lot of you giving whales a hard time must be very young or don't work for what you have. Why would anyone, regardless of the amount they spend, want to get absolutely nothing in return for money they spent? How can anyone say that is fair?

Sure, the shard shop may very well be worth it still for whales if there are enough exclusive characters to be obtained. However, being able to buy other in game items is a really good idea. And something CG should stil consider.

Ok, good post. Let's get back on topic and be respectful to each other. No need to make this a p2p vs. f2p argument.

FashionFett.
  • Telaan wrote: »
    Capture.JPG

I'm guessing its $1500 for each player? If that's not enough, I would ask anyone here that unlocked every character to 7 stars and max out their material upgrade with their credit card.