Poe speed/meter-reduction intact + visible teams = Poe problem actually gets worse with the update

Prev1345
Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited February 2016
This came up in another thread but is worth its own thread so CG and players realize what is about to happen.
Poe was nerfed, but barely, and in the wrong place. Lower tenacity slightly increases the chance of stunning him before he taunts, but that was a low chance to begin with. Even the expose reduction is besides the point. Poe is used to speed up teams and protect glass cannons. He can still do this. So he will still provide an enormous advantage.
Now combine this with another change: everyone will be able to see your entire team. Poe was rarely used as a leader, so you didn't know for sure he'd be there on a team you attacked. Now? Everyone has to lift their skirts, so to speak. So people will be able to "bully" teams that look weaker, and at the top of the list will be... any team without Poe.
Alternative or unusual teams will also get "picked on" because they will look easy. Try to build a healer team? Or anything else weird? Everyone will fight you and knock you down. No longer can you try something different with a common leader like Lumi and give someone a surprise.
We are now heading into an arms race where Poe (or maybe ST Han) will need to be on every team just to be competitive. And the rest of the characters will usually be high DPS / AoE.
Somehow after making us wait for weeks to deal with Poe, CG has managed to put out an update that -- while great in many other respects -- will actually reduce PvP build diversity.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Yeah seeing the team before the match destroys defense teams only advantage, the unknown.
  • I really don't understand it. Surely CG wants us to invest in more, different heroes, therefore spending more resources, therefore having to spend more money.

If the game was more balanced then people would invest in more than just Poe, Sidious, Luminara, Phasma etc.

It's a sad day for me. I'm pretty disappointed.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • I am so disppointed as well. The game went backwards.
  • Poe for the foreseeable future will never leave my group. Without him in top tier pvp you will be handicapping yourself and giving away first turn to Assist attack toons (GS, Jinn, 86) and have a tough match.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    I think the developers see a lot of things we don't see. Because, well, they do. They have access to levels of testing and running teams, simulating thousands of battles, that we as players don't. John Salera has stated that there are a lot of synergies out there that haven't been found and exploited yet.

It may just be that they aren't fixing Poe because there are already solutions in place, if players would look more carefully, try new strategies and not just jump on the bandwagon.

The teams we see today are incredibly streamlined, and I honestly don't see much experimentation going on. Damage maximization is the same kind of lazy quick route that makes people decide to always roll a Barbarian with a big axe in D&D. It's standard model 1A for fighting, and it's enchanting because people like big numbers popping up on the screen. They're much easier to understand than the finer points about how skills and synergies can be set up to harmonize.

I refuse to believe that we as a community have already emptied the game and its huge character roster of possible synergies and combos in just a few months. I can easily name 20-30 characters that I NEVER see in play. And don't tell me it's because "they suck". In the beginning nobody wanted Poe either. They just regarded him as another tank toon with weak attack power and too little HP to survive his own taunt. Then somebody discovered a usage.

Often enough, that's all a "meta" really is. At least in a well balanced game. All players running the same team, because they've learned "this is the best". Until somebody figures out the counter.

So that's why I'm building experimental teams and focusing on the fun, while y'all keep whining about this one Poe.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Uh, I've been building and trying experimental teams since the start. Ask anyone, I've been mocked mercilessly for trying weird teams.
    There's one problem with them: they get destroyed by the meta teams. The DPS teams are not there because people are dumb and want to see "big numbers popping". They are there because damage is too high relative to health and the best way to win is to kill the other guy before he can do anything.
    You DO understand that they have just made it exponentially more difficult to try unusual builds because now everyone can see the build before they decide if they want to attack you or not? Go ahead, put up a team with 4 oddballs. You'll find yourself down 100 ranks overnight.
    And sorry, not buying the "Great and Powerful Oz" routine with respect to the developers. The stagnation in builds is a real problem right now. They have not only not addressed it, they've made it worse.
  • @Qeltar @cosmicturtle333

Guys, I share your sense of anxiety, but lets let it setttle for a minute.

Just basic logic:

(a) Poe got weakened, not strengthened
    (b) People have beaten Poe teams with non-poe teams (the FOTP/Poe thread running around is super interesting)
    Just by virtue of adding (a) and (b) above, there will be more ways to beat Poe teams. Lower tenacity means more susceptible to a Dooku stun, who always goes before Poe. Lower expose means more of your team survives the first round.

Let it settle.

The lifted skirt effect will cause more churn in the top levels. Basically it will be easier to win if you're attacking and lose if you're defending. That means more movement in ranks. I think that's good.
    It'll force players to think about what tools you have to beat a certain opposing team. It will also incentivize diversification in toons, so that you have more options to beat other players. Obviously, you will also lose your rank faster and more often, incentivizing you to get back in there and fight back!

I think it's net positive, but let's see it next week...
  • My biggest issue with Poe was the expose. Everything else is pretty easy to overcome. I just use QGJ to remove it. This isn't a guaranteed win but it's totally workable. I think they should still drop his speed a touch but as we get other heroes maxed out and we move towards the next cap change this whole problem may resolve.

It's not the change I felt was best but at least I won't hesitate when going against a Poe. 7* Rey will still make me cringe a bit though.
  • Poe wins me lots of crystals. Sure some killer undiscovered combo is out there, but why fix what works and is already invested in. I will ride the Poe gravy train till it stops working. I wish I didn't have to, a rebalance would have forced me to invest in new chars, as it stands now I have no need to.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    @Relish_Yoda - We'll see. I admire your optimism.
    @Cpt_Dan - I am not sure what Poe teams you are facing, and admittedly I don't have Jinn yet. But right now when I face a Poe team with FOTP and droids and such, my guys are all dead before I can really do anything, expose or not.
  • It isn't about whether or not Poe can be beaten now.

Who would you rather verse?
    Phasma Sidious Luminara Dooku Poe
    Or
    Phasma Sidious Luminara Dooku Anyone else.

Poe will be actively avoided if at all possible. People will notice this and then everyone will have him. Then Poe will be a problem again.

Non-Poe teams will fall in rank which will leave the top 100 completely full of 7* Poes one month after the update.

Mark my words.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    It's even worse with the hard hitters.
    Poggle / IG-86 / IG-88 / GS / Poe
    vs.
    Poggle / IG-86 / IG-88 / GS / anyone else
    It's a no-brainer, sadly.
    Maybe some new characters will change things. Right now though.. bleh.
  • I'm a salty turtle today.

But don't google that.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    @Qeltar You alone have NOT experimented through even a fraction of the combinations available with 71 possible toons.

Game developers ALWAYS have resources at hand for game tearing that players can never hope to get unless they start hacking. They MADE the dang game. Of course they know stuff we don't. Why are you even contending this point?

I never suggested putting "4 oddballs" in a team just to see how it goes. You're clearly just trying to downplay what I'm saying here to make it sound feeble. But you're actually illustrating my point: Meta is at least as much about mass psychology as it is about what actually works. Any one who sticks out from the norm a little gets pounded. So they get punished for experimenting. Which means the meta is consolidated - entirely unrelated to whether it is in fact the "strongest" possible present build or not.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    I use Poe and I have not lost to a non-Poe team since I got him to max gear 143 speed. I don't even think it's possible to lose. I don't even have a max DPS squad yet. GS 5* and poggle 4*. Once he fires his taunt and my poggle waves his magic wand the other teams dreams are over with in 2-3 touches of the screen.

Even if other team has stun characters that get Poe right away....no big deal. I still 1 shot 1-2 toons. And then he still fires it next turn and game is over after that.

• Skye
    795 posts Member
    I'm a salty turtle today.

But don't google that.

Funnily enough I was watching an Episode of Elementary yesterday in which Sherlock threatened to eat a Tortoise he had found. Now I have that image in my head!!! :p
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    ...Maybe that's because 80% of the teams you face that don't use Poe are Phasma builds, and even more teams than that use Squishy Sid, and less than 10% of the teams have decent tanks or turn sequence breakers? This is what I'm talking about. Poe seems OP because it's all glass cannons firing at each other, and of course the cannons that go first will win.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Yep. I've already (for the past few weeks) been writing down all the names of Poe-users in my arena rank range so I know who not to target. Guess that project is done now, but it's exactly how everyone's going to be picking targets now. Guess I better get my Poe up to speed.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Nonemo wrote: »
    @Qeltar You alone have NOT experimented through even a fraction of the combinations available with 71 possible toons.
    No, I haven't. So what? There are teams of whales, guys with 7* everything, and they struggle to find counters to Poe that are reliable without using Poe. There's a smart guy named @JohnnySteelAlpha who has made progress with this. But really, having to design your whole team around one guy?
    You are engaging in a lot of faithful hand-waving here. Go look at the leaderboards. Everyone is using Poe because his taunt basically guarantees victory. Nobody needs to work their way through every combination.
    Game developers ALWAYS have resources at hand for game tearing that players can never hope to get unless they start hacking. They MADE the dang game. Of course they know stuff we don't. Why are you even contending this point?
    Because I have years of experience in watching game developers make obvious and ridiculous mistakes, despite the "resources" they supposedly have. I work in software QA. I know how this goes down.
    If the devs know so much, why was the massive nerf of Barriss required? Just one example.
    I never suggested putting "4 oddballs" in a team just to see how it goes. You're clearly just trying to downplay what I'm saying here to make it sound feeble. But you're actually illustrating my point: Meta is at least as much about mass psychology as it is about what actually works. Any one who sticks out from the norm a little gets pounded. So they get punished for experimenting. Which means the meta is consolidated - entirely unrelated to whether it is in fact the "strongest" possible present build or not.
    What difference does this academic exercise make? The point is that what little experimenting there was before becomes impossible when all the guys running meta powerhouses can spot any unusual team and hammer it down the leaderboard. Even if the meta changes, the problem will persist because after the shift once again you will get hammered if you have anything not as powerful as the new meta.
  • Phipps wrote: »
    I use Poe and I have not lost to a non-Poe team since I got him to max gear 143 speed. I don't even think it's possible to lose. I don't even have a max DPS squad yet. GS 5* and poggle 4*. Once he fires his taunt and my poggle waves his magic wand the other teams dreams are over with in 2-3 touches of the screen.

Even if other team has stun characters that get Poe right away....no big deal. I still 1 shot 1-2 toons. And then he still fires it next turn and game is over after that.

Once Poe and poggle are activated in 1st turn. It's a tough match. Assist toons start Killing effortlessly. Sid lead for added punch and its GG.
  • Nonemo wrote: »
    I think the developers see a lot of things we don't see. Because, well, they do. They have access to levels of testing and running teams, simulating thousands of battles, that we as players don't. John Salera has stated that there are a lot of synergies out there that haven't been found and exploited yet.

It may just be that they aren't fixing Poe because there are already solutions in place, if players would look more carefully, try new strategies and not just jump on the bandwagon.

@Nonemo I don't think this is true. Because of the sheer number of players, and the amount of time invested by those players, gameplay, especially at the meta, ends up being far different from what developers expect.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    @Qeltar I made my point and I'm not gonna go into further discussion about it. You disagree, that's fine. Time will tell who's right. Until then I'll keep building and having fun playing. As opposed to crying on the forums.
  • Nonemo wrote: »

I think you are underestimating the collective intelligence of a large playerbase. Believe me, people are trying all sorts of things and eventually people will find things that developers often don't. The playerbase is like a living monte-carlo simulation so to speak.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Tanks/counter teams can't do enough damage to DPS teams though. That's why lumi/Poe/DPS is unstoppable. Even if I can't 1 shot a tank a GS special plus 1 other hit they are gone. Lumi heal does enough of a job to save any of them for 1 more round and another heal. I've faced multiple teams like that and have never lost. It just takes 3 minutes to win instead of 1.

I wish it weren't the case.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Until then I'll keep building and having fun playing. As opposed to crying on the forums.
    Well, have fun playing. And thanks for the parting cheap shot, because of course, everyone knows that a rationally-argued hypothesis = "crying on the forums". I'll be sure to take your posts less seriously in the future.
  • @Qeltar I don't have a droid team at all so I don't know how they fare against him. I primarily use a cookie cutter team of Sid(7*), Lumi(7*), Dooku(6*), QGJ(6*)and Leia(5*) Sometimes I swap in a 5* Poe but Poe for the most part isn't that hard to beat. The times when I got totally destroyed were due to too many exposes hitting my team and then Lumi can't keep them alive through the onslaught.

What gets nuts is when I lose an entire speed battle and Poe, Rey and leia go before even my maxed Dooku. Then I may as well just push retreat cuz it's over and that arena battle is lost.

In GW I don't hit many Poe teams for some reason. Maybe 1:6 or less.
  • Weh, weh, weh. Don't wanna troll you in your own thread but give it a break, he isn't getting nerfed, atleast not in the way you want.
  • Cpt_Dan wrote: »
    @Qeltar I don't have a droid team at all so I don't know how they fare against him. I primarily use a cookie cutter team of Sid(7*), Lumi(7*), Dooku(6*), QGJ(6*)and Leia(5*) Sometimes I swap in a 5* Poe but Poe for the most part isn't that hard to beat. The times when I got totally destroyed were due to too many exposes hitting my team and then Lumi can't keep them alive through the onslaught.

What gets nuts is when I lose an entire speed battle and Poe, Rey and leia go before even my maxed Dooku. Then I may as well just push retreat cuz it's over and that arena battle is lost.

In GW I don't hit many Poe teams for some reason. Maybe 1:6 or less.

I think your last team is used to populate others GW. Trolls use Poe on node 12 with their 7* jinn, Leia, FOTP and GS. At least I do :D
  • Wifi
    36 posts Member

The teams we see today are incredibly streamlined, and I honestly don't see much experimentation going on. Damage maximization is the same kind of lazy quick route that makes people decide to always roll a Barbarian with a big axe in D&D. It's standard model 1A for fighting, and it's enchanting because people like big numbers popping up on the screen. They're much easier to understand than the finer points about how skills and synergies can be set up to harmonize.

I refuse to believe that we as a community have already emptied the game and its huge character roster of possible synergies and combos in just a few months. I can easily name 20-30 characters that I NEVER see in play. And don't tell me it's because "they suck". In the beginning nobody wanted Poe either. They just regarded him as another tank toon with weak attack power and too little HP to survive his own taunt. Then somebody discovered a usage.

Often enough, that's all a "meta" really is. At least in a well balanced game. All players running the same team, because they've learned "this is the best". Until somebody figures out the counter.

So that's why I'm building experimental teams and focusing on the fun, while y'all keep whining about this one Poe.

There is no team synergies that defend against a team that reduces your turn meter right off the bat and then 1 shots 3-4 of your team. Doesn't matter what you throw at it.. I use Poe, Rey, Qgj, GS and FOTP or lately Poggle for Qgj and I have never, EVER lost to any team, let alone 27k plus teams, unless they have a Poe that goes before mine. Our guild [instinct] has dozens of people that experiment with different synergies and character abilities which we discuss all day every day in a live chat. Believe me, most of us have every char unlocked and several even have every character at 7*. Poe and the heavy hitters I mentioned above is the meta and nothing they have done in this patch changes that. Sorry but this is common knowledge amongst the players that really know this game well.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    meh. i'll continue to use my non poe team and maintain top 10. it'll be tougher to hit top 5 without refreshes, but i'll see how it goes in the next month. who knows....maybe i'll even have to drop to 20-50 range due to my choice in not farming poe, but using him is not fun for me. i like the team i have and will continue to evolve it if possible. if i'm to believe in data mining (which i shouldn't), at 80, my team will outspeed poe teams
    mighty chlorians