Chromium Mega-Pack Questions

Metroplex79
834 posts Member
edited March 2017
Level 55 noob here.

I have bought the single Chromium card, Chromium Data-Pack, and the 2-3 shards from the shipments before.This would be my biggest crystals purchase. But the list of potential rewards is soooo long.

I only have enough for the one purchase of 2520 crystals.

-since it's random, is the Mega-Pack worth it?

-are there simply too many characters to risk that many crystals?

-should the devs make Mega-Pack A and B, with the current line-up split into 2, so that the odds of getting what you want is still decent enough?

-or should go back to spending the crystals on shards for specific characters?

-other than the 10% crystals savings, are there any other benefits in this versus the single or the 4-pack?

How many here have frequently bought the Mega-Pack because it's good?

If it helps, my roster looks like:

26 toons

5 Star = 1
4 Star = 9
3 Star = 3
1 or 2 Star = 13

Level 50-54 = 12
Level 45-49 = 2
Level 40-44 = 11
Level 39 or less = 1

Thanks.
When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
Post edited by Metroplex79 on

Replies

• Taxman
    75 posts Member
    I would say only buy mega packs if you're prepared to buy several 100s of $ worth. Also is there a particular toon you're after? If so can you get them though cantina or other means as this will generally be better than all the random junk you can pick up in chromiums (CUP anyone?!?)

• BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I think it's only worth it if you have a lot of toons already unlocked and you want the R1 or ShT kind of toons. In that case, you have a better chance to get a viable toon.

In my case, I have 84 toons unocked, so remains almost good toons (except Urrororourururrrr and HRS), so if I buy one, I'm quite sure to have a toon that I could eventually use in a team. Now, grinding the rest of the shards is another problem...
  • Metroplex79
    834 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    First post updated.
    Post edited by Metroplex79 on

• ^^^ What he said. Chromiums are only worth getting if your prepared to spend a lot to 7* that toon or if you only care about unlocking toons. I find crystals to be best spent on refreshes or gear from shipments. If your gonna get a chrom, get the 8x. It guarantees a full drop.
  • I think if you're a low level player it's worth it. You're garaunteed an unlock, maybe 2 or 3. If your roster is small you may get a couple decent 4* unlocks that you can start farming up to 7* immediately. Or you might get URoRrorruror
  • Arkham
    275 posts Member
    Don't set your sights on a single character for Chromiums. If you're going to buy the Chromium mega pack, be prepared to build your entire SWGOH future around that single, random toon you're going to get.

If you're not prepared to do that, then spend your crystals elsewhere. Energy refreshes are surprisingly fantastic--lots of good toons in the cantina. Or, save your crystals to spend them on gear in shipments later.
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Metroplex79
    834 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    First post updated.

• MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    Youll most likely get more than one character. Chromium packs are actually more worth it for new people like you since you wont own any (probably) of the characters you get. For a new player, a 4* or 3* char especially like chirrut or something can be a really big deal.

People saying youd need to spend 100s of dollars are saying that because theyre assuming you want to 7* a character through chromiums. I dont think that's necessary for your level. 7* is much more important at lvl 85.

Overall,if youre using free crystals, not worth sacrificing refreshes for packs.But if you have EXTRA crystals, now is a better time than any to spend on chromiums... if you get a good char or two that could be a big deal... dont expect too much though.
  • Stop leveling everyone up, save your resources, and focus on an arena team and some scoundrels for now, and maybe a couple pilots. Try to overlap if possible
  • I really would advise against buying chromiums in your case. You're almost guaranteed to be disappointed with the outcome, it's like the lottery.
    I'd use those crystals for refreshes on energy and cantina energy, that will guarantee shards you actually want + speed up your leveling + gear.
    And as was said before: stop leveling everyone up, focus your resources on an arena team, that will guarantee a steady flow of crystals if you manage to rank well enough everyday.
    You can look up guides in the guide section for which toons to focus on.
  • In response to the people who said "stop leveling up everyone":

I did only focus on my main 5 before, but I found that it helped me Galactic War, as once my primary team is all dead, everyone else was useless. Now my 2nd team is decent enough to achieve 1 or 2 more Galactic nodes. The 3rd team might be able to kill 1 toon.

My Arena Rank goes up and down between 1700-1100 depending if I was having a good day or not. Technically, it's been a steady rate for the past 2-3 weeks.

All my crystals have been free. I have not paid anything for the game.

As for reading other threads about synergy, other than Jedi, and 4 Phoenix Squadron (like everyone else), I somehow got through the single Chromium, and Bronzium purchases, I have 2 Nightsisters and Assaj. I have bought shards from the various other locations but not with crystals.

• Arkham
    275 posts Member
    In response to the people who said "stop leveling up everyone":

I did only focus on my main 5 before, but I found that it helped me Galactic War, as once my primary team is all dead, everyone else was useless. Now my 2nd team is decent enough to achieve 1 or 2 more Galactic nodes. The 3rd team might be able to kill 1 toon.

Focusing on just 1 team isn't really realistic. You can't get the rebels, jedi, scoundrels, dark side, light side, pilots, and gw backups you need by just focusing on 1 team. However, it is good to focus on as few characters as possible.

You have jedi, so build up Mace so that you have an admiral when the time comes. You have phoenix, so don't worry too much about rebels. Nightsisters are terrible, so find a new dark side team-- Boba (he has a nice ship too) and a bunch of scoundrels maybe? That would also cover heists.

Focusing on 10 toons is a little more realistic than 5. Just put them in your favorites and ignore all the rest. And don't buy the chromium. Too random.
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Metroplex79
    834 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Mace is my most powerful Jedi and Light Side, as well as my only 5 Star.

My primary Dark Side team for those regular battles have been Talia, Assaj, Initiate, Tarkin and Imperial Guard. Outside of them, it's random, TIE Pilot, Snowtrooper, Geonosian Warrior, IG-86, and First Order TIE Pilot.

I don't think I have anyone that's uber special. I think I'm 9 shards away from unlocking Darth Vader though.

I personally hope to one day unlock everybody and get them to 7 Stars with max gear level, so that I can fun with various teams. I don't think it's realistic at this point to think I can ever reach #1 (or the top 100) unless I spend a lot of money, or if everyone else above me quits.

I only have 26 out of what, 120 toons in the entire game? I'm sure more on the way as time goes on.

It appears so far more people are NOT in favor of me buying the Chromium 8-pack, than for it.

• In addition, my supplementary question would be: Are those limited time squad packs worth it?

(reading the "Hit a Brick Wall" thread)
    Especially that Scoundrel Set.

I can't enter it because I only have 1 toon. But buying 1 of those packs for 1199 crystals doesn't guarantee unlocking a character.

Also, not too long ago I couldn't enter another event because I only had 1 Rebel toon at the time, but now I have 4 of 6 Phoenix Team, so I might be ok, but since they need to be higher levels to be effective, I'll need resources to level them up.

• You are heading for disaster. Nightsisters are ****, stop leveling them up. Buy the gears in shipment with credits every day. Get boba and landing from cantina first. Ig86 is good but focus on lumi first. U need healers for galactic war and she is one of the best. Windu will not help much later. Get st Han from arena. After getting a rebel and scoundrel team, get the siths, they will help in dark side and also serve as a good arena and war team. Also buy the sim tickets from the shipment as much as u can. Stop buying chromiums now. U are too high lvl for them. Also try and get to wedge's cantina node asap and farm him. Every rebel team needs wiggs. Farm gear everyday. Don't wasted any energy, it will haunt u later. Concentrate in the synergy between ur team mates. Ucaj also work on another team on the side but the r the essen
  • You are heading for disaster. Nightsisters are ****, stop leveling them up. Buy the gears in shipment with credits every day. Get boba and landing from cantina first. Ig86 is good but focus on lumi first. U need healers for galactic war and she is one of the best. Windu will not help much later. Get st Han from arena. After getting a rebel and scoundrel team, get the siths, they will help in dark side and also serve as a good arena and war team. Also buy the sim tickets from the shipment as much as u can. Stop buying chromiums now. U are too high lvl for them. Also try and get to wedge's cantina node asap and farm him. Every rebel team needs wiggs. Farm gear everyday. Don't wasted any energy, it will haunt u later. Concentrate in the synergy between ur team mates. Ucaj also work on another team on the side but the r the essen
    Could you elaborate a little more regarding the Nightsisters?

I do buy gear from shipments, some of them make great donation fodder in the Guild as well. I've bought shards a few time because it was too close to a promotion, and was too impatient to wait a day or 2.

I have over 300 SIM tickets at the moment, I don't actively hardcore use them. Probably 80-90 a week.

I do plan on getting every toon and ship eventually, unless I stop playing. There's so much to this game. I'm going to assume the devs are going to add more as year goes on.

As for "Don't wasted any energy, it will haunt u later.", I am doing a lot of the Hard Battles, as well as slowly pushing forward in the Easy. Same with the Cantina it's slowly pushing forward as well.

But if I don't get certain characters as some people above has suggested, does that mean I'll be useless?
    I thought the game is so diverse that you can take any route to get to the top?

Also, does the devs stop going back to existing characters and adjusting them once they're widely available? (reading the thread about droids), this would mean that getting the newest characters is the only way to make a player successful, and getting original characters would making playing difficult?

• Nightsisters are one of the weakest groups, stop gearing them up, your wasting valuable resources.
  • I disagree with everyone here. Chromiums aren't worth it end game. In the beginning it gives you access to toons of a calibre you couldn't get otherwise.

I started in dec 2016, bought 1 pack. Got a wedge. That one character kept me in the top 10-20 for months until everyone else got him too. Now I don't use him anymore, but he more than earned back the crystals I spent to get him.
  • With your roster it's definitely worth the crystals, you'll prob pick up 3 to 5 new toons... only 1 is guaranteed but you usually get more... I don't see the downside, except then you need to level and gear the toons but that is what it is
  • If you get a pre-taunter, a good R1, or otherwise high end toon in the packs, it was worth it. Once you hit lv 70 or so, don't buy packs anymore, at that point you can unlock good chars on your own. Better to spend your crystals on refreshes at that point.
  • Save the crystals for gear and mods.
  • save crystals for full gear pieces from shipments or energy/Cantina refreshes..... I suffered buyers remorse early on when I used that pack and got shards or full characters on random toons that I have never used.
  • Gavsta
    201 posts Member
    Metroplex, have a look at the farming guides on youtube from Mobilegamer, AhnaldT101, Warrior from Team Instinct.
    Also check out LordSkunk.com guides and top ten lists.
    You'll need to farm the core groups a viable Jedi team, Then rebel team (possibly can be farmed at the same time), Empire/dark side team, droids (with JE and Nebit).
    Farming most other toons will be cosmetic, and may get u some cannon fodder for Galactic War, but will end with a fragmented bunch and you'll have to end up farming the core groups anywats to get Yoda, Palpatine, ships going to get zeta materials... and so on.