Death Mark + Counter Attacks

Vertigo
4497 posts Member
Just a quick question. Curious how Death Mark functions when someone counter attacks.

Say you Death Mark someone on the enemy team, but then someone on their team gets the next turn. What happens if they attack a character with Retribution/Counter Attack unique? Does the counter attack hit the enemy that attacked them, or does the counter attack hit the Death Marked target? I know Death Mark functions as a taunt in that we have to target them when selecting who to attack, but does it also draw fire from counter attacks?

Just curious how it would work if anyone's seen it or able to test it.

Replies

• Cesium
    230 posts Member
    Now that is an interesting question, I would love to know the answer as well. I would guess it does, since it is quite similar to a taunt.
    F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Edit: I just looked at a video I have and counter went to the attacker not death marked opponent. But this video was before the 2-16 update where they fixed some taunt issue with deathmark.

I believe @Nebulous uses deathtrooper so he may be able to give a better answer.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »
    Edit: I just looked at a video I have and counter went to the attacker not death marked opponent. But this video was before the 2-16 update where they fixed some taunt issue with deathmark.

I believe @Nebulous uses deathtrooper so he may be able to give a better answer.

Ok cool, thanks for the response, I don't have Death Trooper ready to test this so I was just curious as I was hoping to plug him into some fun team combos with some counter attacking characters so I don't have to switch mods around to speed up attacks as it'd be all GW.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Hey there. Using death trooper and 5s in gw, I was able to test this for you.

I killed sid first then I applied death mark onto obi. There are no other taunts on the board. Yoda hit my 5s and my 5s counter attacked the death marked obi.

Hope this helps.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Nebulous wrote: »

I killed sid first then I applied death mark onto obi. There are no other taunts on the board. Yoda hit my 5s and my 5s counter attacked the death marked obi.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks for the info @Nebulous! Just to clarify, no other taunts means that obi wasn't taunting either? (Was it old ben or GK?). And do you think it's safe to assume if there was a taunt up on a different character from the death marked enemy that it would be RNG as to who got targeted with the counter attack just like a normal double taunt situation?
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    Yo! I use deathtrooper a lot. All counter attacks will go to deathmarked opponent, DT and chaze is pretty sweet. If the deathmarked character is stealthed, or there is a taunt that comes up after you've deathmarked someone, you will not counter and hit the person deathmarked.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Mazurka wrote: »
    Yo! I use deathtrooper a lot. All counter attacks will go to deathmarked opponent, DT and chaze is pretty sweet. If the deathmarked character is stealthed, or there is a taunt that comes up after you've deathmarked someone, you will not counter and hit the person deathmarked.

So a regular taunt takes precedence over the death marked enemy? (I haven't used it yet so just trying to figure out how it works as my DT is far from being geared up and won't level and omega him until I can make him useable, but hopefully that will be soon)
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Vertigo wrote: »

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks for the info @Nebulous! Just to clarify, no other taunts means that obi wasn't taunting either? (Was it old ben or GK?). And do you think it's safe to assume if there was a taunt up on a different character from the death marked enemy that it would be RNG as to who got targeted with the counter attack just like a normal double taunt situation?

I know when my opponent has a hard taunt and I have desthmarked someone, I have to target the taunt. It usually why I apply it to gk or baze since I'll have to hit them anyway. And when counter attack occurs, it will go to the taunt and not the death make. Just confirmed this.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    edited March 2017

So a regular taunt takes precedence over the death marked enemy? (I haven't used it yet so just trying to figure out how it works as my DT is far from being geared up and won't level and omega him until I can make him useable, but hopefully that will be soon)

Yes regular taunt takes precedence. Stealth also makes the deathmark "taunt" go away
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member

Hope this helps.

I know when my opponent has a hard taunt and I have desthmarked someone, I have to target the taunt. It usually why I apply it to gk or baze since I'll have to hit them anyway. And when counter attack occurs, it will go to the taunt and not the death make. Just confirmed this.

Yes regular taunt takes precedence. Stealth also makes the deathmark "taunt" go away

Ah, alright, thanks for the responses. I knew stealth made the taunt function of Death Mark go away, but didn't know how it interacted with regular taunts. Thanks again!