Arena help

First off, thanks in advance to anyone who reads and responds, I'm gonna be wordy.

I am just about to hit level 78, but will probably need a few weeks to star up my ships for the zeta challenge. It's safe to say with good luck I am probably two months away from my first one.

Currently in arena I run G9 EP(l), G9 DV, G9 BF, G8 SF, and G8 RG. Top 10 in my shard is going to be impossible as they are all level 80+. I sit uncomfortably in top 50 with a number 20 finish(yay 50 crystals) here and there.

In my opinion, if you are not able to consistently(and I won't spend enough to ensure it) the top 20, then GW is as important as arena. That being said, I want to maintain top 50. GW gives important ship shards, some crystals, and many more credits now. I have some decent mods I cannot afford to upgrade and have passed on a few great ones in the shop because I didn't have the credits. The reason for this is I have been spending it leveling up my bench for GW. It has served me well and I feel I am bein smart doing so. I am also trying to level/gear raid toons as I will be approaching being able to contribute there soon.

Now my shard is still mostly Wiggs, Chaze, DN, and even a few B2's are showing up. DV
is a must in my squad and I will never take him out. Today noticed that both my RG and DN need the same two pieces to get to G9. Do you guys think I should swap RG for DN? I have RG's potency really high and he does a great job stunning whoever on their team is going next or is the biggest threat. DN dispels, but SF does that for me too. DN receives a bonus from EP, SF doesn't. I've also thought about a DN lead and dropping RG as he wouldn't benefit from a DN lead. I'm working on TFP and he will replace SF/RG when ready. I still have a three weeks or so work to do on him.

To give even more info, I plan on giving my first zeta to Bariss because I think it will be more useful to me as a player, but Vader is next. Where they sit right now, RG and DN have similar health/protection. They both bring different important things to my arena team. Maybe I should use both and ditch SF?

I will try to get better mods on my startin lineup...I have been switching out one great one for a bad one each of the last 4 weeks, but I know I need to ramp that up. As I look at the other top 50, my mods are falling very short of theirs. As I stated before tho, I will continue to value GW as much as arena so I will not spend all my resources on those 5.

I'm not trying to have my cake and eat it too, I just want to ensure a top 50 finish and right now I feel I get it just do to decent RNG. I think my team is very beatable without great RNG by those in my shard around me.

Replies

• I'm also lvl 78, so take my advice for what it's worth, but I'm in the same shoes as you as far as ships go.

Personally, I would run Nihilus over Sun Fac, but the AI tends to target Nihilus, so if you can't hide him behind a tank all the time, he dies pretty quickly. Nihikus benefits from your EP lead, Sun Fac doesn't. I wouldn't run Nihilus as a lead unless you have him at a high health/protection, and fast. I FEAST on Nihilus leads because they are slow and the only real threat is Dooku, unless they throw Kylo in there. And dooku is easy to take out of the game until I can kill him with Annihilate.

I use Nihilus in my arena team (running an odd ball group), and he comes in handy. I finish anywhere from 10 to 30 in my arena, and haven't been below 50 in 2 months...and facing a lot of the same squads you are.

As for some of your other issues, one of my giild officers suggested this to me. If you are struggling with credits, those credit heists are extremely important. Get your scoundrels leveled and geared, or you are missing out. They are useful in many aspects of the game, especially toons like Lando, Boba, Han, and IG-88.

How do you use the crystals you get from daily activities, GW, and Arena? I use mine on one or 2 refreshes to get my 600 guild tickets, and that is it usually. I feel like once you get into the higher gear levels, purchasing the gear is a lot easier than trying to farm the hell out of it, and getting 5 pieces on 20 or 30 attempts. I also save my Arena tokens for credits, and my GW tokens for ships. None of those toons are of much interest to me to farm them right now.

Mods are important, but you can get around grest mods to get to the top. I've seen teams in the Top 20 of my shard with a Wedge with no mods. But the other characters were great and had good mods.

What does your lineup look like for GW. I have probably 20 toons and 3 squads that I use consistently, and a 4th (jedi) that I can use in a pinch. So probably more like 20-25 toons. But I only work on about 10 or 15 toons: my arena team, my sith (B team in GW, and Maul will likely be in my arena team soon), and some miscellaneous toons like Lando, Baze, and pilots for Fleet arena. Any more than that, and I feel I am spread too thin. And I prioritize my gear, depending on what it is and who needs it.

So, there are days that I can do all of GW with 2 teams, and there are days that I may actually lose 20 to complete it. But the depth is there without me spreading too thin, and normally, my Arena Squad, Sith, and a few fill-ins are enough to complete it.
  • I use about 20 toons for GW, depending on the opponent. I have bought two furnaces so that really hurt my crystal situation. I get my 600 daily and always do 50/50 yellow, 100 orange. I do complete the credit heist at the highest level available to me, but I have always gotten on the low end of the drops. 6 starring more characters for raids(my guild doesn't do heroic yet) has been taking a lot lately as I have been trying to contribute more damage to get them over quicker. Between stars, mods, and leveling, credits are tough to come by.

I have to finish 7 starring Leia for the next EP, and then I have to farm IG 88 from arena so I can complete the over 80 credit heist. I run BF, Lando, STH, chewy, and greedo. I won't level/gear up those last two, I'd rather start from scratch on IG 88 since he can help me elsewhere.

I may have to give DN a try tonight in place of SF. Unfortunately SF is my beefiest guy. But I think the health steal will keep DN in for awhile. I hope the AI focuses on him. That will let BF, EP, and Vader destroy their team.
  • Well I stripped my SF mods and put them on DN and won all 5 of my arena fights fairly easily. One guy attacked me right back and beat me so I only jumped from 44 to 27. I will have to see how far I fall over night. Since replacing Lando with EP, I haven't fell more than 20 places over night. So far so good with DN.
  • I was #10 at payout yesterday (7 pm CT), and fell to #42 by 5 pm today. I almost expect to fall a good ways down, but I can normally climb back into the Top 20, at worst Top 25.

Unless you Whale and Collude to be in the Top 5 or 10, it's inevitable to have that fall. I see guys in my shard, just like me, that can bounce all the way up to 10, and fall into the 30s and 40s in a 24 hour period. For me, it's about how high up that leader board I can climb.

The AI does not control my team the way I do, so I don't expect to hold at the same spot over a 24 hour period. But I know, by picking my spots, I can beat just about anyone if I can get to them.
  • someonesolddude
    187 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    First off, thanks in advance to anyone who reads and responds, I'm gonna be wordy.

I am just about to hit level 78, but will probably need a few weeks to star up my ships for the zeta challenge. It's safe to say with good luck I am probably two months away from my first one.

Currently in arena I run G9 EP(l), G9 DV, G9 BF, G8 SF, and G8 RG. Top 10 in my shard is going to be impossible as they are all level 80+. I sit uncomfortably in top 50 with a number 20 finish(yay 50 crystals) here and there.

In my opinion, if you are not able to consistently(and I won't spend enough to ensure it) the top 20, then GW is as important as arena. That being said, I want to maintain top 50. GW gives important ship shards, some crystals, and many more credits now. I have some decent mods I cannot afford to upgrade and have passed on a few great ones in the shop because I didn't have the credits. The reason for this is I have been spending it leveling up my bench for GW. It has served me well and I feel I am bein smart doing so. I am also trying to level/gear raid toons as I will be approaching being able to contribute there soon.

Now my shard is still mostly Wiggs, Chaze, DN, and even a few B2's are showing up. DV
    is a must in my squad and I will never take him out. Today noticed that both my RG and DN need the same two pieces to get to G9. Do you guys think I should swap RG for DN? I have RG's potency really high and he does a great job stunning whoever on their team is going next or is the biggest threat. DN dispels, but SF does that for me too. DN receives a bonus from EP, SF doesn't. I've also thought about a DN lead and dropping RG as he wouldn't benefit from a DN lead. I'm working on TFP and he will replace SF/RG when ready. I still have a three weeks or so work to do on him.

To give even more info, I plan on giving my first zeta to Bariss because I think it will be more useful to me as a player, but Vader is next. Where they sit right now, RG and DN have similar health/protection. They both bring different important things to my arena team. Maybe I should use both and ditch SF?

I will try to get better mods on my startin lineup...I have been switching out one great one for a bad one each of the last 4 weeks, but I know I need to ramp that up. As I look at the other top 50, my mods are falling very short of theirs. As I stated before tho, I will continue to value GW as much as arena so I will not spend all my resources on those 5.

I'm not trying to have my cake and eat it too, I just want to ensure a top 50 finish and right now I feel I get it just do to decent RNG. I think my team is very beatable without great RNG by those in my shard around me.

Look how much you wrote please don't abbreviate the ******* characters. Take 3 extra seconds to write out their ******* names. Use my knowledge I beg you!
  • Yea Inyan, I don't want to spread myself so thin, but now i am also trying to gear up pilots. I just unlocked Wedge and am using him in GW. I am also using First Order Pilot in GW too. I've only failed GW two times in the last month, and it's helped my ships tremendously. I've been seeing sporadic Zetas in my GW so I am going to stay diligent in keeping the 20 or so toons geared up. I run it so my arena team gets turn meter on battle one, and then the other 15 handle nodes 2-11 mixing and matching them depending on the opponent and spreading the turn meter as much as possible. I end up losing 4-5 regularly on the harder nodes, but I handle node 12 much easier this way. I'm too afraid of losing it to try to run only two teams.

The other part that is getting trickier is maintaining top 20 in fleet. I got one more try tonight as I am currently 24 and I don't think I can do it. I'm 5/5 in arena, but 0/4 in fleet today. The only pilot on my arena team is Boba so I have been trying to gear up pilots as well. I'll let my arena rank fall as long as I stay top 50. I need to keep finishing GW and hold as high of a fleet position as possible. But so far your suggestion to take out SunFac has been good. Even if I fall a lot, I won my 5 matches way easier than the ones I've been winning with Sun fac.
  • Oh trust me, I'm not saying to limit yourself to 2 teams. More or less just limiting your gear at higher gear tiers to certain toons. Once those are geared, then another group. But I have seen so many different strategies in GW, no one is the correct way. I can't even remember the last time I lost a GW.

Awesome with Fleet arena too. I wish I could have maintained that early on, but I fell into the 100s and am lucky to work up to the 70s. But I let my ships lag and am just now working on getting them up. But, I have gotten 3 of them to 4 star in the last week, unlocked Sun Fac and his ship, and have 3 or 4 more around 3 stars and working to 4.
  • I wish more of my arena squad during my time would have been pilots. I didn't gamble for Vader's ship. Him and Boba are the only two pilots I have ever used in arena . Another big plus to all the Wiggs users. They geared up two pilots and got regular arena use out of them as well. Being the giant Darth Vader fan that I am, I will always use him in arena. I almost wish it had taken me the year to unlock him that the first year players had because then I probably would have went the Wiggs route. Once Vader's ship becomes farmable I will get that. My Vader is one piece away from G10 and my Palp has the two pieces to get to G10, but he can't equip them until level 78 and 80.
  • I run Boba, Phasma, Kylo, Nihilus, and ST Han in arena, so 3 of my 5 are crew members (neither ship unlocked). Also have Vader, Fives, and Maul at G8 or G9, but none of those ships unlocked either...lmao!

It's quite sad really. If I had those 5 ships, I'd have a pretty good fleet. My fleet isn't horrible, but not great either. My best pilots are Ahsoka and Geo Soldier (both 5*, G7 and G8). Biggs and Sarge are both 5*, G6. After that, it's pretty meh. I have ships that aren't even unlocked yet that are stronger than my unlocked ships because of the pilots.