[Guide] Let's Do the Math: Farming 5 Jedi timetables and analysis

Prev1
Hey all. Hawk7915, though I go by Durrkon on my server. I'm a F2P player since December 27th, and with yesterday's announcement I crunched the numbers and have decided to try and focus on getting my 5-star Jedi team. Since I did the mental math, I thought I'd share it with all of you alongside commentary on who to go for and whether it's worth it at various starting points.

Part One: Counting Stars
To take a character from "0 stars" (locked" to 5 stars takes 145 shards (10 + 15 + 25 + 30 + 65). While the math should be extremely easy, below I summarize what it takes from each different starting point
0*->5*: 145 shards
1*->5*: 135 shards
2*->5*: 120 shards
3*->5*: 95 shards
4*-5*: 65 shards

If you have a Jedi hero with a random amount of shards (from Bronzium pulls or GW chests), simply subtract your count from the numbers above.

All of us have a 2* Jedi Consular, but if you are a new player and have no one else we're looking at 700 shards to farm. Mercifully, we have multiple avenues available to us for doing this so all is not lost, but keep in mind what we're looking at as we go forward.

Part Two: Time Is (not) On Our Side
Everyone seemed to initially panic, deciding that we have a scant 6 days to farm those 700 shards, but that's not true. In truth, we can't know how much time we have until the event starts. What we do know is that the event will run for one week (7 days), and will launch "sometime next week we hope, but it may slip by a few days".

In a best case scenario for us, the patch gets delayed to Wednesday the 17th, and they decide to let the event run until Server reset on Thursday the 25th. That gives us 21 days from today to farm Jedi.

The nightmare is that the patch drops Monday the 8th, but they decide to have the event end at reset on Sunday the 14th or even Saturday the 13th since it's a "business week". This leaves us 10 or 11 days to farm.

So we have between 11 and 21 days to obtain those 700 shards. For the remainder of this guide I will be assuming the shortest time frame, and then noting if it is worth pursuing the character(s) if you know you can't do it in that time frame but could do it in 21.

Part 3: Hit the tables
Now that we know what we need and how quickly we need it, we can break down the Jedi we're going to target by tables. Clearly focusing purely on Jedi from just one table is inefficient - we want to spend as diverse a base of resources as possible on these characters. The three big tables, with their own currency, are Galactic War, Squad Arena, and Squad Cantina. That's where we'll focus.

Light and Dark Side tables will be mentioned within each section, because farming them is by far the most inefficient route to unlocking a hero. Why? Because data shows that the drop rate for shards is roughly 33%, and you can take only three cracks at a hard mode per day. For a typical character that appears in two different nodes, you are looking at a crippling 73 days, on average, to obtain that character and promote them to 5* - that's long enough that you might still be struggling when this event rolls back around in four to six weeks! The inefficiency of this means that we are immediately discounting Anakin Skywalker and Ima Gun-di as options for a Jedi Squad, since it's unlikely you'll be able to farm them to 5* in time even if you already have them unlocked at 4. Like I said, though, I'll mention if L/D tables can accelerate a hero unlock and shave a few days off the completion.

So we'll start with...

Galactic War: Luminara Unduli
Galactic War pays out currency at every even battle. The key breakpoints, though, are wins 6, 10, and 12, as these are what give us enough currency to purchase 5 shards from the GW Shipment Shop.

If you can only win 4 battles/day, it will take an outrageous 58 days to obtain a 5* Luminara
If you can only win 6 battles/day, it will take 29 days to obtain a 5* Luminara.
If you can win 8/day, it will take 19 days to obtain a 5* Luminara
10/day, it will take 15 days to obtain Luminara
12/day, it will take 10 days to obtain Luminara

Overall, you need to be averaging 8 wins a day in GW to have any reasonable chance of unlocking a 5* Luminara before the event ends, under ideal circumstances. If you are averaging 12 wins a day, you will obtain Lumi even in the worst case scenario.

Light and Dark Side Boost
: Luminara appears in an impressive three Hard battles, the last of which requires level 58 to clear. If you do her battles every day, you can get an extra 5 shards every two days or so, and in our worst case scenario end up shaving 5 days off of the above targets.

Is she worth it? Luminara is one of the premier Lightside characters, with the most powerful heal in the game combined with a great passive leadership heal and powerful attacks that include a high-probability Ability Block. She will serve well in every table, and is usually the first hero recommended for any player to obtain. Most all of you reading this probably already have her or have started, but if not...get to work! You will not regret it, as she will make all other tables and any and all future Events significantly easier.

Squad Arena: Eeth Koth
Players receive 100 currency a day just for playing. Beyond that key points are being in the top 5,000 (so you can get enough currency to buy one shipment per day) and being in the top 200 (which grants enough currency to purchase two shipments). Top 50 and up grant a lot more currency but it is currently not possible to purchase three shipments a day.

If you are in the top 5,000, it will take 29 days to obtain Eeth Koth
If you are in the top 200, it will take 15 days to obtain Eeth Koth
If you are in the top 10, it will take 11 or 12 days to obtain Eeth Koth

As you can see, you will need to be a truly elite player to obtain Eeth Koth in a worst case scenario situation. If you are not in the top 200, it will not be possible to obtain Eeth Koth before the event ends and get him to 7*

Light and Dark Side Boost: Unfortunately, none. Eeth Koth is exclusive to Squad Arena, and his shards don't drop from Bronzium packs or any hard node.

Is He Worth It?: Eeth is sort of mediocre unless your leaderboard is nothing but droids - his stats are nothing to write home about, his leader skill is not nearly as handy as other Jedi or even vanilla Chewbacca's, and his stun is unreliable. If you already have a 5* or higher Darth Sidious, it may be worth unlocking Eeth to cover your bases for this event, but otherwise I wouldn't do it unless you are certain you'll have four other powerful 5* Jedi to join him within 11 days and you have no other options to get that 5th wheel.

Squad Cantina Shipments
: Qui-gon Jin, Jedi Guardian, Ahsoka Tano
Here's where it gets complicated, because unlike the first few tables we have to consider the ability to burn crystals to obtain more currency here. Generally speaking, the average player will get 200 currency a day here with 0 crystals spent, and more with crystals. I haven't considered leveling up and the bonus energy that comes from that, nor have I considered whether the new "daily energy boost" will also boost Squad Cantina energy, but the difference should be minuscule - a day or two shaved off, tops.

If you spend no crystals, it will take 58 days to get a 5* Jedi.
If you spend 100 crystals/day, it will take 29 days to get a 5* Jedi.
If you spend 300 crystals/day, it will take 19 days to get a 5* Jedi
If you spend 700 crystals/day, it will take 15 days to get a 5* Jedi

As you can see, this is by far the biggest barrier - in a worst case scenario, even ludicrous spending will not allow you to get a Jedi in time. 700 crystals/day is far outside the realm of most F2P players and even many P2P subscribers to afford unless you are always Rank #1 on your server AND always clear your GW AND had some banked up. If you haven't already started on one of these characters, it's a tough road.

Light/Dark Boost: Ahsoka appears in two battles and Jedi Guardian appears in one. You can shave two-three days off Guardian and five-six days off of Ahsoka by religiously completing their nodes. Both are also common pulls from Bronzium cards. As a previously Chromium-exclusive hero, Qui Jon cannot be obtained anywhere else.

Are They Worth It?: Qui-gon is a Tier 1 DPS and generally agreed upon to be the best "Leader" for jedi squads in a packed field and despite his skill not working turn 1 when it counts the most in Squad Arena. Ahsoka is mediocre - tons of HP thanks to her unique but mediocre, unreliable skills and a lousy leader talent make for a bland hero. The Guardian is currently awful, and while she'll be getting a buff in the next patch this buff still looks to make her little more than an expert speed-bump in Galactic War.

The issue is exacerbated by Squad Arena featuring several other great heroes, namely Poe Dameron. Poe did not get the nerfs we expected and is a must-have hero until they do finally nerf his speed, Taunt, and/or turn meter manipulation, which could be months away. If you don't have Poe Dameron, obtaining him has to be priority #1 now - with team preview coming, you'll find it extremely challenging to be able to stay in the top 200 without Mr. Dameron on your squad at at least 4*, and this will have serious consequences for your ability to farm other characters. If you do have a 4* Poe already...this is still a tough call, and I'd recommend avoiding it and seeing if you can work on a better Jedi elsewhere unless you already have someone at 2* or higher or know that you are comfortable enough that you can blow 300 crystals a day on energy here.

In terms of who to pick, all things being equal it ought to be Qui Gon - he's simply head and shoulders above the other two and in the top half of DPS heroes in the game in general. However, if this is the only barrier you are facing for an unlock of the mystery Jedi OR if you already have Guardian or Ahsoka from previous spending or Bronzium/Chromium pulls, and you cannot afford 700 crystals a day, it's likely better to stick with them since you can farm shards for them elsewhere to speed things along.

Squad Cantina Battles
: Plo Koon, Mace Windu, Jedi Consular, Barriss Offee
Your spending to get the currency above will also influence how quickly you obtain heroes here. I'm also speaking in averages - randomness is random, and while the chances are 33% per mission for a shard many players will be insanely lucky, and others still will be cursed and curse EA. On the one hand, our accumulation rate here can be really great if we spend a little crystals and/or have good luck, similar to Galactic War. On the other, we actually need to farm two heroes from here to get a team of 5 - likely Consular + one other. Thus, my math below is aiming at obtaining 265 shards of something here. That's enough to take someone from 0-5 and promote the Consular from 2-5.

If you spend no crystals, it will take 66 days on average to obtain the two Jedi.
If you spend 100/day, it will take 33 days on average to obtain the Jedi.
If you spend 300/day, it will take 22 days on average.
If you can afford 700/day, it will take 17 days on average

There's diminishing returns on spending 700 here, and even with 700 it's going to be impossible unless you have more of a head start OR you are also farming hard nodes from Light/Dark.

Light/Dark Boost: The consular appears in three extremely early hard battles, and farming them daily will greatly speed along your progress. Mace appears in one battle while the other two appear in two. All four characters can drop out of a Bronzium card (awarding shards in Consular's case). How much time you save depends on your spending and again has major diminishing returns - assuming we just do Mace and Consular and farm their nodes daily, and also assuming 10 days of farming...

0 Crystals: ~ 56 days
100 crystals: ~28 days
300 crystals: ~19 days
700 crystals: ~14 days

Are They Worth It? The consular is a solid healer who will be a workhorse on your lightside team for a long time and does good work as a "relief" pick on Galactic War. It's worth getting him to 5* eventually. Barriss is really good in GW and some of the toughest LS battles due to her ability to heal through Heal Immunity, but I'll note you need to be 69 to unlock her node and for many players she is not really an option. She's also a lot less useful post-nerf and somewhat dead weight in Squad Arena. Mace is pretty blah now, but he's getting a total redesign that makes him sound AWESOME when the patch drops. Plo Koon is really mediocre and will be until stealth becomes more prevalent or they release more powerful Clone Trooper heroes for him to lead into battle.

Overall, you have to farm someone to unlock Squad Cantina shipment currency, so even if you are focused on obtaining Poe or Old Daka there currently I recommend working on the Consular and getting him to 5*. If you can't commit to 300 crystals a day or you don't have a major head start on this, I might recommend avoiding investing in Mace or Barriss or Plo until we see what the mystery hero can do, and focusing instead on more generally useful heroes like Geo Soldier, Kylo Ren, or Count Dooku instead.

Replies

• Some of the farming times will change with the patch as they are adding energy refresh events as well.
  • With squad cantina battles, you should get 240 energy a day, which is a lot more than 240 currency. It should be right around 408 a day (if you're doing the 17 currency battles, ideally the counclor one).
  • Also, don't you need 7 star to get the final prize?
  • GOOD JOB <clap> <clap> <clap>
    Ingame name Daremo
    Player Ally Code: 631-533-975
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Got to give a +1000 for the effort on this one, I love to see the numbers crunched and players that were not as technical about this process can visualize the time needed in a general sense...

I just checked and I happen to have 5 Jedi, although they all are not at 5* so it would take me some time to get there regardless, but it's a start. I'll have to see what is offered before I put any effort into farming them up to the levels needed. I'd advise that everyone play it cool until the release so you don't waste time...
    Post edited by ioniancat21 on
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member
    @Hawk7915 Very well written and informative. To add my 2 cents though this guide shows what you will need to unlock the New Jedi Character level 5 when the event first starts. It is important to note the event will go away after the week but come back at a later time with progress saved. So if you can't make it by the first release don't panic it will come back and you will have time for work on you jedi team.
    If you don't have Poe Dameron, obtaining him has to be priority #1 now

This is an opinion, granted an opinion shared by most but I can honestly say I don't care about the Squad area. There is more to the game than the arena, and the addition of this event and coming events proves that. I only play the 3 arena battles a day needed to get the bonus and sometimes those time out because I get distracted by work.

Anyway happy farming!
  • Very informative post. Top nitch even if Cantina Currency is fewer days as 1 energy gets 1.9 currency there, just reduce length by about 40%. It is also uncertain as drop rates vary widely there.
  • for those that panic about getting them;

games like this are a grind, so even if you can't unlock the new char in the first try, you'll get another chance later on!

Just keep having fun :)
  • Pindasauskanon
    1803 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Joshuar56 wrote: »
    With squad cantina battles, you should get 240 energy a day, which is a lot more than 240 currency. It should be right around 408 a day (if you're doing the 17 currency battles, ideally the counclor one).

Cantina energy only refills once a day, so 120 energy without refills is correct.
    You need 7* to get a 7* hero. 5* is enough to unlock the new character
  • for those that panic about getting them;

games like this are a grind, so even if you can't unlock the new char in the first try, you'll get another chance later on!

Just keep having fun :)

exactly
  • Joshuar56 wrote: »
    With squad cantina battles, you should get 240 energy a day, which is a lot more than 240 currency. It should be right around 408 a day (if you're doing the 17 currency battles, ideally the counclor one).

Cantina energy only refills once a day, so 120 energy without refills is correct.

Is it the same character, just to 7*? Or is there a 5* character and a 7*?
  • Just dropped in to say, great job!
  • This is depressing,lol. Does anyone know if Jedi characters from gem pack have been increased?
  • Hawk7915 wrote: »
    Barriss is really good in GW and some of the toughest LS battles due to her ability to heal through Heal Immunity

Barriss doesn't "heal through immunity ".
    She has a health equalize across all living toons, then a small heal.
    The equalization portion isn't blocked by healing immunity, the heal portion of her action is.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Great post
  • While I appreciate the effort of the OP, and while is math on the ability to earn shards is technically correct, I need to splash a bit of cold water on this for new players with only 1 or 2 jedi in their library today.

The problem is that if you don't already basically have your team of 5 jedi ready now, you won't have it ready to fight by the time round 1 of the challenge goes live.

Even if you *could* successfully farm the new jedi you need from 0 to the 145 shards you need for 5*, you will still need to spend most of your energy and refreshes on grinding the gear, you will still need to have the droids and credits needed to train them up, and unless you want all of your abilities at 1, you'll need a massive pile of mats to make them strong.

And even though you can farm different jedi in parallel from different sources, then you're just doubling your requirements for gear, mats, etc. Unless you've been stockpiling your resources for a while, that's just not going to happen.

This *might* be possible for a few players, but if you're an average player excited about Yoda, and you're just starting to try an farm an Eeth or a Mace or a QGJ in the hopes of getting them to 5* in time for the challenge, fair warning: you may be disappointed.
  • Joshuar56 wrote: »
    Joshuar56 wrote: »

Is it the same character, just to 7*? Or is there a 5* character and a 7*?

We can't say for 100% sure until we see it, but the impression is that it is one character. I sort of assume Tier 1 of the challenge grants 10 shards, Tier 2 grants 15, Tier 3 grants 25, Tier 4 grants 30, Tier 5 grants 65, Tier 6 grants 85, and Tier 7 grants 100. The character, unlike every other heroes, requires 145 shards to unlock. So at Tier 5, you will have 145 shards and the hero will unlock. Clear tier 6 and you can promote to 6*. Clear tier 7 and you can promote to 7*. Their shards can't be obtained anywhere else, so you will need to clear all 7 tiers eventually to get a 7* mystery hero.
    Hawk7915 wrote: »
    Barriss is really good in GW and some of the toughest LS battles due to her ability to heal through Heal Immunity

Barriss doesn't "heal through immunity ".
    She has a health equalize across all living toons, then a small heal.
    The equalization portion isn't blocked by healing immunity, the heal portion of her action is.
    Fair point although quibbling a bit. I'll edit it when I clean up the OP though.
    scuba wrote: »
    @Hawk7915 Very well written and informative. To add my 2 cents though this guide shows what you will need to unlock the New Jedi Character level 5 when the event first starts. It is important to note the event will go away after the week but come back at a later time with progress saved. So if you can't make it by the first release don't panic it will come back and you will have time for work on you jedi team.
    If you don't have Poe Dameron, obtaining him has to be priority #1 now

This is an opinion, granted an opinion shared by most but I can honestly say I don't care about the Squad area. There is more to the game than the arena, and the addition of this event and coming events proves that. I only play the 3 arena battles a day needed to get the bonus and sometimes those time out because I get distracted by work.

Anyway happy farming!

It is just my opinion, of course, but if you want to maximize success on all tables I think Poe is crucial. But your mileage and server may vary. Also good point on the return of the event; I'll add it to the OP

Glad this has helped some folks. Thanks for all the feedback!
  • awesome info, thanks much. +
  • Mate thanks for the maths, you´ve done a great job here.

Shame that Ima-Gun Die and Anakin cannot be farmed a bit faster...they are one the best jedi in the game along with Lumi and finally (after the much needed buff) Mace Windu!!
  • This post is helpful but makes me think that we are missing something... The Devs have to realize this is going to be almost impossible to do, right?
  • Mate thanks for the maths, you´ve done a great job here.

Shame that Ima-Gun Die and Anakin cannot be farmed a bit faster...they are one the best jedi in the game along with Lumi and finally (after the much needed buff) Mace Windu!!

Ima Gun Di my favourite Jedi by far . Wish he was added to GW shipments

• Ima Gun Di my favourite Jedi by far . Wish he was added to GW shipments

Word, I´ve been saving up GW tokens after getting Lumi to 7* in the hope for something just like that.

Although maybe is that saved currency that has turned GW so hard for the last few days?
  • Great job @Hawk7915
    One thing newish players (myself included) need to consider when reading this guide: Level requirements. You do need to get to the nodes in order to farm them and that will take time and energy.

Moreover, and most crucial, while we do not have confirmation of this, if the event if part of the Magnet/Keycard battles table, you need to be level 52 to unlock it. Hence, there is little to no chance for a new pplayer now to be able to participate in the event.
  • Even getting 5 jedi at less than 5 stars is a good thing. Atleast that way you can participate and bank some progress for when they rerun it.
  • JayBeefed wrote: »
    While I appreciate the effort of the OP, and while is math on the ability to earn shards is technically correct, I need to splash a bit of cold water on this for new players with only 1 or 2 jedi in their library today.

The problem is that if you don't already basically have your team of 5 jedi ready now, you won't have it ready to fight by the time round 1 of the challenge goes live.

Even if you *could* successfully farm the new jedi you need from 0 to the 145 shards you need for 5*, you will still need to spend most of your energy and refreshes on grinding the gear, you will still need to have the droids and credits needed to train them up, and unless you want all of your abilities at 1, you'll need a massive pile of mats to make them strong.

And even though you can farm different jedi in parallel from different sources, then you're just doubling your requirements for gear, mats, etc. Unless you've been stockpiling your resources for a while, that's just not going to happen.

This *might* be possible for a few players, but if you're an average player excited about Yoda, and you're just starting to try an farm an Eeth or a Mace or a QGJ in the hopes of getting them to 5* in time for the challenge, fair warning: you may be disappointed.

I do try to stress that without a head start, most players simply can't get five 5* Jedi even if we do end up with three weeks, and any farming will be playing the long game. Maybe I should hit that harder?

I'll give my own account as an example: I'm clearing my GW with something like a 95% success rate, and am usually in my servers top 20, occasionally top 10, and once top 3. In terms of Jedi I have a 7* Luminara, 3* Consular, and 2* Guardian ("lucky" bronzium pull), and due to hard modes, Bronzium, and GW I already had 8 Mace Windu Shards. I spend crystals conservatively so I had over 1,000 banked. I also already have a 3* Dooku, 5* Poe, 4* Poggle, 5* Geo Soldier, and 7* Sid. I made the decision last night to aim for the Jedi (Even though it means farming for the frankly terrible Guardian) and spend 300 a day on Squad Cantina refills to try and make it happen.

Despite being in a better position than many players, if the patch drops Monday I'll not be able to get to 5*s on Eeth Koth and probably not on both Windu AND the Consular before the event is over. I accepted that as something I could live with since I'll want the mystery hero eventually, but everyone should really sit down, analyze where they are at now, and make an informed choice. That's what I'm hoping this guide facilitates. I can afford to put starring up Poe and Geo on hold and to scrap my plans for a Droid team, because I'm making progress and at a place I am happy with on all tables.

But that's the wrong choice for some people. As another case study, my wife is in a similar boat to me - also F2P, playing for the same amount of time, also level 60. But her server is tougher and she struggles to stay in the top 50. She also doesn't clear GW nearly as often (even though I play it for her) despite also having a 7* Lumi and a 6* Sid. Part of this is that while I went with Poe, she went with Boba Fett and then recently QGJ (who is still 2*). Her Consular is also only 2* since she's been focused on farming for Rey and Kylo Ren, and she's at 60/80 for both now. For her, it doesn't make sense to drop everything and go for Jedi when she's so close to assembling her "A-team" and when she clearly needs Poe to make her Phasma/Rey/Ren/Lumi team complete and powerful. So she'll work on Eeth Koth once she finishes getting Sid to 7* tonight, but she's going to wait to work on Mace, Barriss, Consular, QGJ, or any other Jedi until she unlocks Kylo Ren and Poe Dameron and gets them both to a usable star level.
  • Gurley30 wrote: »
    This post is helpful but makes me think that we are missing something... The Devs have to realize this is going to be almost impossible to do, right?

I think what EVERYONE is missing is that this is not something you win on first try. This is going to take time maybe months for some to acquire.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Gurley30 wrote: »
    This post is helpful but makes me think that we are missing something... The Devs have to realize this is going to be almost impossible to do, right?

No, just like Vader, they don't want everyone having 7* reward character two days after the patch is released. They want this to be an ongoing goal for people.
  • Your analysis of Eeth Koth is wrong
  • Your analysis of Eeth Koth is wrong

Care to explain?
  • I have 2 jedi, this whole event is skewed, I will NEVER be able to compete in this event., Thanks CG