Glactic War Algorithm Suggestion

So I'm sure almost everyone on here has been frustrated by Galactic War at some point. The two challenges I have are when you:

1. Run into one of the stronger squads than yours (nodes 6, 9, 11, 12) that also has a high team synergy.
2. Run into a squad that has one toon that is significantly stronger than the rest of their squad, and yours too.

I'm sure CG can recognize both of these via algorithm. It would be great if that could be taken into account when building out the opponent list. I don't mind fighting a team that's stronger than mine even though I no longer have protection and they do. It's entirely un-fun to get completely smoked by a team whose five ranks ahead of mine AND is either a Nihilist / Sith or Wedge / Rebel roster (especially when leveling up Wedge seems like a complete luck-of-the-draw thing - I've bought every Wedge shard I can find and still haven't unlocked him - into the mid 70s).

And that one guy that for whatever reason has a Level 64 Tier VIII Boba Fett while the rest of my team is still in the 50s - I really can't do much against that regardless of how many level 55 toons I throw at him.

Please make Galactic War great again. I realize the intent isn't to have players win it every day, but not being able to get past node 6 or 9, and having no chance on 12 really doesn't make me want to buy crystals with real money.

Thank you for your consideration.

Replies

• 1. 6, 9, 11 and 12 are supposed to be the harder nodes.
    2. In that case, the rest of the squad should be easy to pick off.
    If you can't get past at least node 8, you're doing something very wrong. In fact, I'd be surprised if most players couldn't get past node 11.
  • GW has made me lost my cool on several occasions since the rework. I'm level 81 and I now have to face on several nods the same day several high synergy teams level 85. Royal Guard is almost always there to make matters worse.

I know the devs have tried to increase the difficulty to compensate for the better rewards we get but this is getting out of hand. I don't see why, given my level, I should face max gear, max level, zeta'ed, great mods teams with high synergies (e.g. Empire teams are very common just to give an example) on several nods.
  • 1. 6, 9, 11 and 12 are supposed to be the harder nodes.
    If you can't get past at least node 8, you're doing something very wrong. In fact, I'd be surprised if most players couldn't get past node 11.

@Dooku_for_days The rest of the squad is 'easy' to pick off but still takes some effort, and while I'm busy doing that, the opponent's strongest toon is one or two turning the rest of my team. Leaving me with little left for the remainder of the war. (I've focused on keeping a small number of toons geared up just so Galactic War is easier to finish, so if I lose one...).

How many fully leveled toons do you need to complete GW regularly, and how does the presence of a strong 'middle class' impact things? For example, I started strengthening my B team and noticed that my A team started getting it's butt kicked more.
  • Dooku_for_days
    2907 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    1. 6, 9, 11 and 12 are supposed to be the harder nodes.

@Dooku_for_days The rest of the squad is 'easy' to pick off but still takes some effort, and while I'm busy doing that, the opponent's strongest toon is one or two turning the rest of my team. Leaving me with little left for the remainder of the war. (I've focused on keeping a small number of toons geared up just so Galactic War is easier to finish, so if I lose one...).

How many fully leveled toons do you need to complete GW regularly, and how does the presence of a strong 'middle class' impact things? For example, I started strengthening my B team and noticed that my A team started getting it's butt kicked more.
    1 team: Nihilus lead (no Zeta), maul, EP, gk, boba. I could do it with just the 3 sith if I didn't want to auto it everyday. 1 good, well built team at your level would definitely carry you to node 11 at least.
    Edit: What team do you use?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Ultimately - I agree with the OP

Yes the OP I believe has a lot of room to grow in obtaining a deep roster that is also viable.

I run 8 teams, 3 teams of which are a little weak, but certainly strong where I use them, being after node 6. I use these 3 teams to pass nodes 7 and 8.

Anyway, I usually have anywhere from 6-4 strong teams left to tackle the last 3 nodes (11 and certainly 12 being the hardest).

Node 12 is where I see the OP's point - especially faced with gear 11 GK, Chaze, Barris (with Zeta) and EP or Nihilus - where I am at, that last node is impossible and somedays I don't even bother trying to fight it.

But as I believe GW should be challenging but generally geared to my difficulty - so should it be with lower level players at level 55.

Should a level 55 player be up against one of my strongest squads??? Absolutely not.

No one has an issue with a challenging GW - it can be a lot of fun, but when faced with an impossible team to beat, that is not only disheartening and frustrating but also poor programming in my opinion.
  • @Dooku_for_days Thanks for asking! I'm against the Nihilist lead because it feels overpowered and basically unfair. Every time I see them in arena they have 75%-80% less power than everyone around them, and it's getting to be all you see in arena. If you start seeing a lack of diversity, it might be a sign of something being OP.

I'm level 59 and wanted to try something different than chasing the meta. Currently use Dooku Lead, Cad Bane, JC, RG and Geo Soldier. I've spent everything I can to upgrade Dooku and RG (both only 4 star right now, and not close to five). But the star/power shouldn't matter since it's relative, right?

I recognize the lack of synergy in the team, but it's a fun squad to play with even if it can't defend itself (I'll easily drop 300 spots overnight in Arena - usually in the 300s which is fine with me). I just tried again and cannot get past this level 64 boba fett - he can easily two turn everyone on that team with the exception of RG, but the team also has Dooku, Palps, and Tuscan Raider so between the stuns, healing immunity, turn meter, and overall raw power of the BF, it's a hard pull. It would be easy if they were all level 60 and the team had the same power rating. Hence my point about the algorithm. It takes my entire squad three full turns to get rid of one of BF's lives. One 8000 power character is a lot more dangerous than 2 4000 power characters. The GW team picking algorithm should accommodate for this.
  • Dooku_for_days
    2907 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    @Dooku_for_days Thanks for asking! I'm against the Nihilist lead because it feels overpowered and basically unfair. Every time I see them in arena they have 75%-80% less power than everyone around them, and it's getting to be all you see in arena. If you start seeing a lack of diversity, it might be a sign of something being OP.

I'm level 59 and wanted to try something different than chasing the meta. Currently use Dooku Lead, Cad Bane, JC, RG and Geo Soldier. I've spent everything I can to upgrade Dooku and RG (both only 4 star right now, and not close to five). But the star/power shouldn't matter since it's relative, right?

I recognize the lack of synergy in the team, but it's a fun squad to play with even if it can't defend itself (I'll easily drop 300 spots overnight in Arena - usually in the 300s which is fine with me). I just tried again and cannot get past this level 64 boba fett - he can easily two turn everyone on that team with the exception of RG, but the team also has Dooku, Palps, and Tuscan Raider so between the stuns, healing immunity, turn meter, and overall raw power of the BF, it's a hard pull. It would be easy if they were all level 60 and the team had the same power rating. Hence my point about the algorithm. It takes my entire squad three full turns to get rid of one of BF's lives. One 8000 power character is a lot more dangerous than 2 4000 power characters. The GW team picking algorithm should accommodate for this.
    That's your problem. You have terrible characters with no synergy. If you build up a solid team with synergy, you'll wonder why you ever complained.
    If GW was easy for you and that team, it would be a 3 minute job for everyone else who has even some sort of synergy in their team, and so would be pointless.
  • @Dooku_for_days Ha. True there might not seem like a lot of synergy, but what high synergy team can you put together at level 59? I have a mid-70s account I also play with and I still haven't unlocked Wedge despite buying every shard from fleet I can find.

This low synergy level 59 team generally waltzes through GW. There are only a few other developed toons on the entire roster. Maybe seven total viable characters. It's 21-0 in finishing GW. With all the stuns, Geo and Bane's attacks, and the Dooku leadership skill I can sometimes get through node 5 with protection intact and only having taken a few hits.

The point is, the 'total power' algorithm of galactic war may lead to scenarios in which there is essentially a very, very small chance of success - scenarios where the power we are dealing with is immeasurable.

Those scenarios appear to be an opponent with 120% of your best team's power and better synergy or a team with a single toon that is substantially more powerful than your best but whose excess power is offset by under-powered yet synergistic squad mates.

The unfortunate part is that if you've spent your resources 'unwisely', the inability to finish GW keeps you behind, keeping those extra shards, mats, and credits away from you, preventing you from correcting your past mistakes.

• Juex777
    968 posts Member
    IME, the mid levels were the most challenging in galactic war as you just don't have enough developed toons to always be able to finish all the nodes. They get beat up and throwing lower level guys to weaken teams or make them use their specials didn't airways cut it.

Once you get a few more developed toons/teams like a wedge led rebels (which makes sense anyway to unlock EP) they can cruise through a lot of nodes saving your arena team plus a few other strong characters for the end of the virtual tournament. With more stong characters who aren't beat up, as well as having at least three strong taunters in your roster, you'll be fine. Even after the slight rework, if there really was one. You may have just got that awkward stage where what your are doing in the lower levels busy doesn't work anymore.

I've learned a lot by watching galaxy of heroes YouTube videos. It takes so much time and energy to build. Best to have a concise understanding and learn from other more experienced players knowledge base.

I remember when I was pleasantly surprised that I actually beat all the nodes for a time in the mid levels. I'm in the 80's now and it's been a long time since I didn't finish it. There has been a few tight ones but it seems like just the right amount of challenge.

This is a game of patience and planning. Steady effort and slow blooming rewards.

• @Dooku_for_days Ha. True there might not seem like a lot of synergy, but what high synergy team can you put together at level 59? I have a mid-70s account I also play with and I still haven't unlocked Wedge despite buying every shard from fleet I can find.

This low synergy level 59 team generally waltzes through GW. There are only a few other developed toons on the entire roster. Maybe seven total viable characters. It's 21-0 in finishing GW. With all the stuns, Geo and Bane's attacks, and the Dooku leadership skill I can sometimes get through node 5 with protection intact and only having taken a few hits.

The point is, the 'total power' algorithm of galactic war may lead to scenarios in which there is essentially a very, very small chance of success - scenarios where the power we are dealing with is immeasurable.

Those scenarios appear to be an opponent with 120% of your best team's power and better synergy or a team with a single toon that is substantially more powerful than your best but whose excess power is offset by under-powered yet synergistic squad mates.

The unfortunate part is that if you've spent your resources 'unwisely', the inability to finish GW keeps you behind, keeping those extra shards, mats, and credits away from you, preventing you from correcting your past mistakes.

Unlock his cantina node. It is second last in tier 6 I think. You need atleast 2 fully modded and arena ready teams. I have a sith and a rebel team and that is enough for me. With lvl 76 toons I easily beat any team GW throws at me. Also have few lvl 65-70 toons to help out if any toon dies. U just need some synergy and strategy. I always try not to use any abilities is I can so I easily destroy any hard team when it comes. Any Jedi or rebel team gets my sith and any non synergy team is fodder for my rebels. Work on your team's instead of whining.
  • I've been playing since close to the launch and I've been beating GW most of the time until the last few days. Now I'm seeing Chase and Wiggs teams on the last few nodes every day. Today's node 10 was a Wiggs/Chase team with Fett. There's no way for me to beat that without a few suicide squads. Even worse is facing Zeta teams. I have no Zetas yet I face these teams a lot. Surely the devs can take the TRUE power of Zetas into account when matching teams. Zaul lead Sith teams are insane. Pretty much any team with Zarriss is insane. I want a challenge not a disaster.
  • @juex777 How do people unlock Wedge when they're in the 60s? I've gotten two fleet arena awards and haven't seen him in the shipment yet. Nevermind the 20 times I'll need to unlock him. 'Get Wiggs' is all well and good, but it's not viable until the mid-70s or later based on the frequency with which he shows up. Heck, I'm still waiting for my last GG from Guild Shipments and I'm level 61 - pretty much bought him every time he was there!
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    He'll open up soon in cantina battles too. 6F
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I was looking and can't find the level required to unlock tier 6 in cantina battles. What level tier have you unlocked so far? If you've unlocked tier 5, click on tier 6 and check what level you need to be to unlock it.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    You'll get him fairly quickly once you unlock him in cantina
  • @Juex777 Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it's 66 or 68 to unlock and the node is a level 74 omega. So, still awhile for Wedge. Agree that a Wedge led rebel team and a jedi team make sense for EP and Yoda. I'm trying to go for synergy around abilities, like a group that can stun (largely the one I've put together, but you need someone that can deal heavy damage like GS - BF would be better). Also thinking about a counter-strike team to take away AoE abilities (Dooku, Kylo). Just thoughts - the metas are so boring, especially the Nihilus stuff IMO. I'm ok with not ranking high in squad, as long as I'm having fun.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    Boba is good end game. GS not so much.... He has a ship but it's not one of the better ones. Boba works on so many different teams. EP is important to get. No joke. And the Wedge led rebels can help you as part of your GW rotation endgame. Keep Luminara in maybe, build the rest of the rebels up till you get Wedge. Lando and STHan are also essential for credit heist and training droid smuggling events which you'll need desperately for credits and training droids.

Get a jump on them now and it'll keep you doing well in arena till you can build a team you're more pleased with.
  • @Juex777 I can see credit heist becoming very important. I haven't started working on rebels yet but I'll get there. For whatever reason, this team of Dooku, Cad Bane, GS, RG and JC have been plowing through GW lately. All of the lost turns from the stuns (especially dooku with the counter stuns...)

I started working on Kylo and Fives (to play around with a team of counters + Speed Down + Stun) with clones to support my guild, and might think about Aayla, who looks like a beast, when the time comes. But I have yet to lose a GW. Arena ranking is only in the 200s, which is ok with me - it seems like teams are basically all the same from 500 - 100 and a lot of where you finish has to do with how much you're targeted and whether or not you have time when the pools close. I'm level 63 now and I have no idea how people close to my rank have unlocked Wedge yet. He's not farmable in Cantina yet and unless you're buying refreshes on fleet shipments over and over, he just doesn't show up enough.

I wish they told you how many defenses you had and who you lost to when you lost rank.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I've been in the top 50 in arena pretty much since I've played (often top 20) and the crystals earned have helped my development tremendously. What works in the 60's stops working by the 70's when synergy starts to become much more important. Cad bane, GS and JC quickly become sub par in GW as well. JC is only relevant later because he has a ship.

Kylo is a worthwhile character, quite a good one actually. Fives is definitely decent but not a high priority. If you don't course correct now, you'll find yourself slipping even further in the arena and by the 70's GW also becomes much more difficult.

Another good squad option would be the R1 characters now that they've became farmable, but if you go that route you'll have to spring for Baze from the shipment store. Though the good news is, he is quite viable at 3 stars. Gear is essential especially in arena....as are really decent mods. You'll be hard pressed to unlock Palpatine using R1 toons as you'll need 5 7 star characters to unlock him at 7 stars.

I'd start watching YouTube tutorial videos to stay competitive. 70's and 80's are not nearly as forgiving as 50's and 60's and development takes considerable time and planning.

Best of luck and may the force be with you.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Once you unlock wedges cantina node which will take a week or two (or considerably less time) with some energy refreshes, you'll be able to farm wedge fairly quickly.
  • Zolaz
    392 posts Member
    Not sure why I am fighting teams with Zeta's when I dont have a single one. Not sure why I am fighting a bunch of meta teams with the teams I am fielding. Not sure why EA hasnt factored in zeta's and meta team synergy into their equations.
  • @Juex777 Thanks for the feedback! Synergy is definitely starting to find it's way into where I've been facing off in arena. I just ran across a full rebel team with Ackbar Lead / Wiggs / Lando / ST Han. My JC was gone after the first turn (still trying to figure out how Wedge went from being stunned to being able to go before anyone else on my team, but hey). But I beat them with three left on the board (JC and RG gone, Kylo, Dooku and GS left). I'm wondering if a healer is useful, and if so I'll swap out with Lumi (already five star just haven't geared up).

I can't exactly figure out which way to go with this team yet, but I'm not one for chasing the meta. For me, there's something wrong with a Nihilus led Dooku being able to solo a team if you don't have a daze / stun or the craziness that is Baze + Chirrut and the endless stack of HoT (especially when combined with Wiggs...)

As a result, I'll probably never get too far out of my current low 300 / mid 200 spot. I have noticed that a lot of the teams I'm up against are in the high 60s now, so I guess I'm doing ok (just hit 64).

There is something about this mix that usually doesn't get bad GW match-ups, but I still have yet to fail a GW. They can't kill you if they can't go!! Of course, I need more speed mods to make this thing work.
  • Biggs gains 100% TM whenever he is crit hit. It can be super frustrating.
    I'd recommend gearing Lumi, she's got a slower cool down than JC, but otherwise, she's superior in every way.