Has the point of whaling and krakening come to an end?

vessaharja
585 posts Member
edited April 2017
BEFORE:
Spend money -> get OP stuff.

NOW:
Spend money -> get pretty much nothing except gear from gear packs.

Has the point of whaling and krakening come to an end? The rewards and advantages for spending are almost non-existent. Latest example are the mod packs. With Phoenix being utter poop and no valuable rewards being offered in exchange of money spent, what is the point in spending? The way I see it, after Chaze there is really no need to buy anything. And even the Chaze hype only lasted for what 3-4 weeks? Then there was Zaul. Now there is.... nothing.

Replies

• Options
    I love to see a whale crying. Poor little beast
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    mods have better value than characters imo. Having OP mods give you an advantage longer than having the latest OP character, specially since most of them are effective at low stars and given away for free. Unfortunately zMaul made players with lesser mods way more competative than they were before though. So there's that :-| I do agree that effectiveness of money spend goes down with leaderboards aging. I can probably drop 1k on the game currently and my leaderboard competitors wouldn't even notice it.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    Given people have 7 star Phoenix squads, it's evident that spending continues
  • vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ^ yeah so it seems. It's just more pointless. Glad Im broke and cant whale :D
    Post edited by RJ__Brando on
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    With all the new characters released... all yall whales need to wait awhile longer b4 you can buy your way to the top (if your not already there) if you could just buy it all it takes away all inventive for f2p to play... then you will no longer be a big whale in a sea of f2p... you'll be a little whale in a small pond of bigger whales that will cannibalize your blubber faster that you hit the "buy" button game will die and the world will end in fire.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Whales pay for a temporary advantage (although mods can be a more permanent one). That's the way it is and always has been. WAI.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    I know allot of big spenders who have stopped spending due to the greed being shown by CG lately...they took the old mod packs that were worth it and best price and turned then into a RNG cash grab.. And the 600 crystal mod packs were the only thing I would've spent money on but now I'm just quite disappointed
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    DeeRod12 wrote: »
    I know allot of big spenders who have stopped spending due to the greed being shown by CG lately...they took the old mod packs that were worth it and best price and turned then into a RNG cash grab.. And the 600 crystal mod packs were the only thing I would've spent money on but now I'm just quite disappointed

A lot of big spenders all let you know that they quit spending based on something that was released just a few hours ago? Wow, busy morning. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • DeeRod12
    386 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    DeeRod12 wrote: »

A lot of big spenders all let you know that they quit spending based on something that was released just a few hours ago? Wow, busy morning. ;)

Key word "lately" not all today, been like this for a few months now but nice try mate :p
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    There is a new shard still being created every week with whales in those. My level 40 alt has 2 major whales on the server already with most 7* characters. Still people whaling out on the game.
    For max level people it's all about buying shards for who you want individually and also finish the gear for rest of you're characters.
  • Refundus
    27 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Huh, I thought whales were in a never ending chase for ultra rare beastly mods and counter-meta formulations for holding unto coveted top spots in PvP? What is it you actually think the pay2pwn architecture should be? Unlocking new characters that are fairly grounded and not op should have whales and such rejoicing that they can now keep on fishing for mods/gear instead of needing to abandon everything for the hot new op toon that everyone who wants to compete has to pay out for immediately.

I'm admittedly only a few months old player and am a dolphin. But, an ever increasing power hike will ultimately wreck the average player's enthusiasm. Keeping everything balanced and methodically leveled in increments allows all to see a possible return for casual fun as well as for 'crunchy-the-serious' player types to have their own special type of fun.
  • hnewton
    492 posts Member
    Options
    A lot of people have stopped spending, but the krakens haven't. My guild had plenty of people who always got the 7* aurodium toons, but ever since these new packs, only one player has took a toon to 7* and that was inly for nihilus, none of the others
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Whales pay for a temporary advantage (although mods can be a more permanent one). That's the way it is and always has been. WAI.

This ^^

Pay = quick development. In the end everyone ends up "equal" to some extent. Then something is released or lvl cap change or new content and you start back at pay = quick development. Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    I hope so. Maybe it'll force prices back down.
This discussion has been closed.