Royal Guard Zeta?

ExarTheKun
2668 posts Member
I know he's already got an Omega on every ability, but really would like to see a rework.

- Unyielding Defender -
At the end of each turn, if any other ally took damage that turn, Royal Guard gains 20% Turn Meter (+5%) and recovers 10% Health (+4%). In addition, Royal Guard taunts for 1 turn whenever another ally falls below 65% Health (+15%). Remove all debuffs from Royal Guard whenever another ally is critically hit.

I think this might give Empire teams something they are missing.

Replies

• scuba
    14047 posts Member
    First update his description correctly for his taunt

Royal Guard taunts for 2 turns
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »

Haha, a bit greedy there :p
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    ExarTheKun wrote: »

Not greedy it is what he is currently doing. His description just doesn't match.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member

Not greedy it is what he is currently doing. His description just doesn't match.

I see what you are saying. The way his taunt pops is a little weird. But no different than Baze taunt after you kill someone on the enemy team. Since it doesn't start at the beginning of their turn, it carries through to the next turn.
  • sjkerhfgdjhd
    1009 posts Member
    edited April 2017

His taunt pops in the middle of a turn on average, so 1.5 turns, except that he also gets 15% turn meter with his taunt unless he is dazed, so usually he would average more like 1.35 turns. If he could taunt and gain tm, then immediately take a turn and lose taunt he would be terrible, and a lot of people would complain about it.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member

I see what you are saying. The way his taunt pops is a little weird. But no different than Baze taunt after you kill someone on the enemy team. Since it doesn't start at the beginning of their turn, it carries through to the next turn.

Baze and GK who have 1 turn auto taunts end at the end of their first turn after they gain taunt. RG auto taunt ends at start of his second turn after gaining taunt.
    They are different even though they all 3 say 1 turn.
    So Baze and GK could gain taunt at 99% tm and when they take their turn it goes away.
    Just more inconsistencies.

Oh well back to the discussion.
    I think his threshold should be upped to 100% Health for auto taunt. Especially with protection and all the heals and protection ignore happening now.
    Maybe make the debuff removal a chance to happen on a critical hit.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member

His taunt pops in the middle of a turn on average, so 1.5 turns, except that he also gets 20% turn meter with his taunt unless he is dazed, so usually he would average more like 1.3 turns. If he could taunt and gain tm, then immediately take a turn and lose taunt he would be terrible, and a lot of people would complain about it.

Agreed. Realistically, I don't see this being an issue. It will be the same duration as before, ideally.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    edited April 2017

His taunt pops in the middle of a turn on average, so 1.5 turns, except that he also gets 15% turn meter with his taunt unless he is dazed, so usually he would average more like 1.35 turns. If he could taunt and gain tm, then immediately take a turn and lose taunt he would be terrible, and a lot of people would complain about it.

I have no issues with the actual duration of his taunt for the reasons you stated. Just update the description to correctly reflect that it is a 2 turn taunt. I mean Baze and GK could actually taunt for 99% to 1% of a turn so calling it a 1 turn taunt is close enough to accurate because it could be 1 full turn.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member

Baze and GK who have 1 turn auto taunts end at the end of their first turn after they gain taunt. RG auto taunt ends at start of his second turn after gaining taunt.
    So Baze and GK could gain taunt at 99% tm and when they take their turn it goes away.

I think his threshold should be upped to 100% Health for auto taunt. Especially with protection and all the heals and protection ignore happening now.

Taunting below 100% would be interesting as well. I wish I could see it in action before making an opinion on whether it's very reliable, without being too outrageous. I just felt like with a little more than 65%, there would still be a good chance to incinerate low health attackers without popping taunt. Gives room for working around RG.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member

I have no issues with the actual duration of his taunt for the reasons you stated. Just update the description to correctly reflect that it is a 2 turn taunt. I mean Baze and GK could actually taunt for 99% to 1% of a turn so calling it a 1 turn taunt is close enough to accurate because it could be 1 full turn.

Updating the description to clarify exact taunt duration would be a nice addition to a rework.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member

Taunting below 100% would be interesting as well. I wish I could see it in action before making an opinion on whether it's very reliable, without being too outrageous. I just felt like with a little more than 65%, there would still be a good chance to incinerate low health attackers without popping taunt. Gives room for working around RG.

Image it with a ep lead, Vader or some other constant healing. RG would be constantly taunting.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member

Image it with a ep lead, Vader or some other constant healing. RG would be constantly taunting.

Not if you kill him.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Idea behind a tank is to force your hand, and cause you to focus an individual target before the rest of the group. RG did just that in the past. And might do so again with a decent rework.
  • War
    932 posts Member

Like Baze when Chirrut takes damage, then heals to full with his full bar of HoT's on his turn. Baze is always taunting when with Chirrut.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    War wrote: »

Like Baze when Chirrut takes damage, then heals to full with his full bar of HoT's on his turn. Baze is always taunting when with Chirrut.

Yes. I was just thinking of a reasonable alternative to Baze, that gained the benefits from Empire Synergy. Not that shoretrooper is useless. I just think he doesnt have the utility that Baze has. ShT seems so one and done next to a Baze who constantly taunts.

Plus RG looks way cooler next to Palpatine.
  • Don't like the 100% HP.

Sometimes you can play around with the 50% Hp for back to back taunts.
  • stumpoman
    442 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    How about zeta on his buff? Add in tenacity up and 100% TM
  • War
    932 posts Member
    This topic is fun, but ultimately doesn't matter. All of his abilities have been omega'd, so he's not getting a Zeta. Maybe with the attention of Empire soon, they'll change his unique to taunt on bellow 100% for Empire allies, to match Baze's auto taunt. But not seeing much else changing or getting buffed.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I haven't omega'd any of his abilities, they all seem garbage.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Seems like rg would just get toasted, stat. His huge health pool is now average. And he doesnt have health regen and counter attacks and whatnot. More tm gain would be nice. I use speed modded rg on my squad, currently, and it is good to have speed. But against current meta it is often wasted poking the same tank ober and over.

Here is an idea. Make it so he cant crit. Or give him some actual damage. Or maybe plus 30 potency on his zeta.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    LastJedi wrote: »
    Here is an idea. Make it so he cant crit. Or give him some actual damage. Or maybe plus 30 potency on his zeta.

I don't understand the can't crit part, how is that useful? He'll never be a good damage dealer, so need for them to bother there, but should increase Snowtrooper's damage during Empire buffs. Again no zeta, not that I understand adding +30% Potency. His potency isn't that low, and it does nothing for him other than landing his stun, which he does.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Anti crit abilities, like rex lead and zaul lead and GK and zarisse and chirrut. it is a bit of a cheapshot that rg will land a crit that might as well not do any damage.

Rg potency is not that good, imo. Even under ep lead, he could use some more. Higher potency means u could spend more on his other attributes. Fact that rg has high rate of wiffing completely avainst zaul, or crit5ing but not landing a stun against anti crit toons, and he ends up doing more damage to his team than if he didnt even go... that not good. Even when he does stun, cleanse is so huge in current meta.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Anti crit abilities, like rex lead and zaul lead and GK and zarisse and chirrut. it is a bit of a cheapshot that rg will land a crit that might as well not do any damage.

But under Krennic lead crits ability block debuffed targets, and have him recover 10% Protection. Kind of double edged sword with removing his ability to crit.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited April 2017

But under Krennic lead crits ability block debuffed targets, and have him recover 10% Protection. Kind of double edged sword with removing his ability to crit.

Ironically, rg uses a double edged sword... i havent used krennic. But obviously, stun trumps ability block, anyhow. (Unless ability block is multiturn duration? Otherwise, landing ability block with stun is redundant other than for an execute, maybe.) IF his potency is high enough to make stun reliable. It is really not that good in current meta when combined with prevalence of tenacity up, cleanse, and evade. His failures to land a stun are that much more painful and way too often, imo.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    This topic is fun, but ultimately doesn't matter. All of his abilities have been omega'd, so he's not getting a Zeta. Maybe with the attention of Empire soon, they'll change his unique to taunt on bellow 100% for Empire allies, to match Baze's auto taunt. But not seeing much else changing or getting buffed.

This could be bad with chaze and zarisse. Often, u are running on between 50 and 100% health. Rg would stop taunting. Somewhere between 60 and 70 might be more useful, imo. Just to make oneshots a little harder.
  • Olga wrote: »
    I haven't omega'd any of his abilities, they all seem garbage.

Same.
  • War
    932 posts Member

This could be bad with chaze and zarisse. Often, u are running on between 50 and 100% health. Rg would stop taunting. Somewhere between 60 and 70 might be more useful, imo.

This wouldn't change his auto taunt when any ally falls below 50%, it would add when an Empire ally falls below 100% he'd auto taunt. Probably could have been more clear. This would let him taunt twice when it's an Empire ally in need of protecting. Give him some extra Empire synergy while retaining the rest of his kit.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member

This could be bad with chaze and zarisse. Often, u are running on between 50 and 100% health. Rg would stop taunting. Somewhere between 60 and 70 might be more useful, imo.

This wouldn't change his auto taunt when any ally falls below 50%, it would add when an Empire ally falls below 100% he'd auto taunt. Probably could have been more clear. This would let him taunt twice when it's an Empire ally in need of protecting. Give him some extra Empire synergy while retaining the rest of his kit.

I like that. 2 auto taunt points for Empire allies