Returning player - zetas!? Ships and sith. What to do

I played this game relentlessly for months, then stopped in June last year and returned about 2/3 weeks ago. So much has changed. My arena shard is ruined, I can't even hold top 200 anymore. Also my ships suck, I can't get top 500. So what ships should I work on? And rebels or sith? Thanks

Replies

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Work on DS ships right away, you need them for the Zeta challenge. Sith are meta atm but who knows how long it will last.
  • I'm not clued up on the current phrases, meta? And can it only be dark side ships to get zetas? I have ackbar at 7* and geared a bit, do I need to do the other capital ship crew members too? And thanks
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Yeah, you need Executrix which you can only get with dark side ships.
    Meta means... well probably just easier to explain it as FOTM.
  • **** ok. I was doing Biggs and wedge ships as I'm working on there characters too. As in requirements it doesn't state that clearly, CG need to fix that. Gonna have to start to level and gear Tarkin though, is he good enough to put in a team?
  • Ross, meta simply refers to the leading standard in the game. Sith are meta right now means they rule the arena, specifically a zeta'd Maul lead.

As for ships, some like them just for the fun of them, others only use them for zeta mats.

Ship Ability Materials

Tier 1 – 5 ships and Executrix 1* – Reward: Ship Ability Mat Mk 1
    Tier 2 – 6 ships and Executrix 3* – Reward: Ship Ability Mat Mk 1-2
    Tier 3 – 8 ships and Executrix 5* – Reward: Ship Ability Mat Mk 1-3, Zeta

That's your goal, 8 five star ships and Tarkin's command ship at 5* also. Theoretically, this could be any 8 ships, but, to get Tarkin to 5* you need:

Capital Ship Upgrades – Grand Moff Tarkin

Tier 1 – 5 ships 1* – Reward: Enhance Executrix to 2*
    Tier 2 – 6 ships 2* – Reward: Enhance Executrix to 3*
    Tier 3 – 7 ships 3* – Reward: Enhance Executrix to 4*
    Tier 4 – 5 ships 4* Dark Side Only – Reward: Enhance Executrix to 5*
    Tier 5 – 6 ships 5* Dark Side Only – Reward: Enhance Executrix to 6*

So, it makes a lot of sense to have at least 5 dark side ships.

You can also use your fleet arena rewards to buy zeta mats. I've never done that, because I like buying shards for ships and toons, but it's a choice you can make.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Well you'll need light side ships too so it's no problem, just don't only focus on LS because you will need DS too. I think you need 4 of them or 5. Tarkin isn't all that great, he's decent for regular stuff but you won't see anyone using him in higher level arena.
  • Kissycat
    410 posts Member
    I was in the same boat as you, I quit July and returned in January. First off: get a good scoundrel squad together. They aren't as stingy with credits as they used to be. Second: boba fett got a rework and is pretty awesome. Get him as he counts as a scoundrel. Third: tarkin is still junk. You only need him for the ship ability mats challenge. Work on your dark side ships (to include boba, tie pilot, etc). There's a good ships guide in the guide section of this forum to help understand ships and what to do.
  • Thanks, that's a bit clearer. I've been using the fleet store for Vader maul and on the odd occasion chirrut. So I'll just have to grind the ships for a while until I've got them, more than likely months.

Out of interest what should I be spending my crystals on? I probably buy about 600 a week, and I use them and my daily rewards to mainly repeat cantina energy to farm wedge.
  • Kissycat
    410 posts Member
    To explain the scoundrel thing: they do a credit heist and training droid heist event frequently that requires scoundrels.
  • To farm zetas through challenge, you need five star dark side ships to finish tarkin's 5 star ship promotion.
    Recommended evil ship farm: slave 1, scimitar, sun fac, tfp, fotfp.
  • Kissycat wrote: »
    To explain the scoundrel thing: they do a credit heist and training droid heist event frequently that requires scoundrels.

Yea scoundrels were pointless before. I had IG and CB but that was it. I've got lando and BF since, still need work but the credit crunch event helps a lot. My mods still need levelling and most of the roster is 10-15 levels off where i need them but I'll get there.... using my credit card lol
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    **** ok. I was doing Biggs and wedge ships as I'm working on there characters too. As in requirements it doesn't state that clearly, CG need to fix that. Gonna have to start to level and gear Tarkin though, is he good enough to put in a team?
    Tarkin may be good enough for a full Empire raid team or whatever. He's not great for Squad Arena.

Tarkin's ship is only necessary for the ship challenges that lead to zeta ability materials. IMO your chance to defeat those challenges won't depend that much on Tarkin's gear if your fighter ships are piloted by well geared characters.

So if you like Mace's ship or Ackbar's ship better, or you'd rather have those characters geared up for squad purposes, you can probably scrape through the challenges with a mediocre Tarkin and continue using Mace or Ackbar in Fleet Arena.

Some people will say that you need to need to need to go all out with Tarkin since you're raising five Dark Side fighter ships anyway for the preliminary challenge, but by the time you're eligible for the zeta challenge you'll have at least three other fighter ships built up which may or may not be Dark Side, which may or may not lend themselves to the debuff-heavy play style that Tarkin's ship supports. So investing heavily in Tarkin is more optional than not, IMO.
  • Thanks lisz. Since I've returned there's so many new "must have characters" like wedge Biggs maul lando and sith and rebel in general. I can't gear mod and level all of them. I use ackbar because of P1 pit raid to remove death mark so I use his capital ship. By sounds of it ships in general and dark side ships are the way forward for now
  • R1 toons are good in pretty much any part of the game except for ships. The problem with them is they are hard to collect.
    Sith are also very good, but they will need a strong Zeta leader like Vader, Maul, DN.
    If you don't have Palpatine yet, you need 5 rebels upgraded to 7 stars, so you can upgrade him to 7 stars too.
    From ships focus on Dark side ships: Boba, Scimitar, Tie FP, Sun fac is also decent and possibly First Order TFP. Your heroes gear/level/stars/ability levels/mods are far more important than the ships level itself. They give you a ton of power. Once you get Boba/Scimitar and 3 other ships and you have the corresponding characters to a decent gear and level, you should be strong enough to beat the Tarkin challenge and unlock him at 5 stars.
    For Light Side Ships you need to work on Biggs. He is a monster, every time you inflict a target lock on someone, he gets Taunts and receives protection. Aside from him Fives is also a good ship, Ahsoka can dispel buffs on the enemies. For capital ships focus on either Ackbar's or Windu's. It's usually up to your preference, the majority of people I know go for Ackbar as he is a bit more interesting.

You should spend you crystals either on cantina refreshes(to farm characters both from nodes and shop) or gear. I do not recommend spending them on normal energy. You get plenty if you are farming someone and you shouldn't really be farming purple gear from there.

Get in a guild as soon as possible. Look for one that requires from you to spend 600 energy everyday instead of one that's accepting only newbies. If the guild can beat T7 rancor easily, all you need is to deal minimal damage and you're set. The rewards would be more than benefiting. From the guild shop you can buy shards for different characters, including Maul, Rey(not recommended anymore), Jyn(which is extremely helpful on the rancor if you don't have zeta Vader), Clones and other characters.

For mods, you should pay attention to the shop. If you see a mod that has decent speed on it (3,4,5) as secondary then be sure to get it. Arrow mods are good ONLY WITH SPEED primary. Don't buy anything else.
    In order for you to unlock 4* and 5* mods in the shop you need to complete tier 2 and 3 on the Health mod challenge and Defence mod challenge. For the first one you can use any heroes, for the second one you need Jedi.

I think this sums most of the things you should know.
  • R1 toons are good in pretty much any part of the game except for ships. The problem with them is they are hard to collect.
    Sith are also very good, but they will need a strong Zeta leader like Vader, Maul, DN.
    If you don't have Palpatine yet, you need 5 rebels upgraded to 7 stars, so you can upgrade him to 7 stars too.
    From ships focus on Dark side ships: Boba, Scimitar, Tie FP, Sun fac is also decent and possibly First Order TFP. Your heroes gear/level/stars/ability levels/mods are far more important than the ships level itself. They give you a ton of power. Once you get Boba/Scimitar and 3 other ships and you have the corresponding characters to a decent gear and level, you should be strong enough to beat the Tarkin challenge and unlock him at 5 stars.
    For Light Side Ships you need to work on Biggs. He is a monster, every time you inflict a target lock on someone, he gets Taunts and receives protection. Aside from him Fives is also a good ship, Ahsoka can dispel buffs on the enemies. For capital ships focus on either Ackbar's or Windu's. It's usually up to your preference, the majority of people I know go for Ackbar as he is a bit more interesting.

You should spend you crystals either on cantina refreshes(to farm characters both from nodes and shop) or gear. I do not recommend spending them on normal energy. You get plenty if you are farming someone and you shouldn't really be farming purple gear from there.

Get in a guild as soon as possible. Look for one that requires from you to spend 600 energy everyday instead of one that's accepting only newbies. If the guild can beat T7 rancor easily, all you need is to deal minimal damage and you're set. The rewards would be more than benefiting. From the guild shop you can buy shards for different characters, including Maul, Rey(not recommended anymore), Jyn(which is extremely helpful on the rancor if you don't have zeta Vader), Clones and other characters.

For mods, you should pay attention to the shop. If you see a mod that has decent speed on it (3,4,5) as secondary then be sure to get it. Arrow mods are good ONLY WITH SPEED primary. Don't buy anything else.
    In order for you to unlock 4* and 5* mods in the shop you need to complete tier 2 and 3 on the Health mod challenge and Defence mod challenge. For the first one you can use any heroes, for the second one you need Jedi.

I think this sums most of the things you should know.

Thanks all for your comments. How do I share my roster here? So can get advice on what characters to pursue with and who to ditch?
  • Make a profile on swgoh.gg and post the link here
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Work on 5 dark side ships immediately to get them to 4 stars. This unlocks the final ability mat challenge that drops zetas.

You will then need any (light or dark) 8 ships to be at 5 stars to do the zeta mat challenge.

This took me about 2.5 months to complete with a lot of patience as I went for the exact ships I wanted (slave 1 and scrimitar took the full 2.5 months to get from zero to five stars).

Good luck and welcome back.
  • Just to reply to Tarkin not being viable in high level fleet arena, that's false. FTP level 85 here, from a Nov. 2015 shard. So, paired up with strong opponents for ships, also. I run Tarkin as commander and never finish outside the top 20, and snag top 10 a few times a week. Best has been 6, but can't play at payout.

Pick the commander you like best and figure out which ships work best with him. For me running Tarkin, it's Biggs, the three tie fighters (I don't have Vader's, so only two for me), with Sun Fac, Boba, and bringing Maul off the bench. I can beat anyone and have had the 1 spot for a few hours a couple different times.
    Make a profile on swgoh.gg and post the link here

https://swgoh.gg/u/rosstheboss89/
    Make a profile on swgoh.gg and post the link here

https://swgoh.gg/u/rosstheboss89/

You have baze unlocked. Spare some of your fleet currency for chirrut until you unlock him too. Those two are beasts even at 3 stars, all you need is to gear them up. They go perfectly with any team. Aside from them I'd star up Leia, Lando and Wedge(for sure) and complete the Emperor's Demise challenge. I managed to star him up to 7 with Wedge/Biggs/Lando at gear 8, Leia at gear 7 and Ackbar at gear 6. Extremely weak team, so it's not too hard, you will need some 5 star mods though, in order for them to survive. I worked with Health mods on most of them and crit chance on Lando.

But the most important thing is Baze and Chirrut, you should begin gearing Baze immediately and unlock Chirrut as soon as possible. You can make a strong rebel team with those 2 + Wiggs(Wedge + Biggs) + Lando.
  • Yea I'm working on leia and rebels mainly. EP should help my sith team. I'll start working on baze. I got 30 shards for chirrut so nearly got him too. Thanks for the tips
  • Any tips on what I should be spending my cantina credits on? I've got boba qui and ahsoka to 7*.
  • Any tips on what I should be spending my cantina credits on? I've got boba qui and ahsoka to 7*.
    Unless you see anything that would be a good fit for your existing squads or help you to complete events, then Fives is a pretty obvious choice. A very decent character for squads, and his ship is awesome.