Death Star Continuity question

So I was watching ROTJ today and the thought popped into my head: how did they build the Death Star so fast?

Here's my logic. We see the beginning of construction of the first DS at the end of ROTS 19 years later is the test on Jedha. The plans for the Death Star are destroyed on scarif. The Death Star is blown up. Am I supposed to believe that in a quarter of the time the Empire was able to construct a Death Star without the plans? It doesn't add up. I get that it wasn't complete but it was pretty close. Where'd they get the kyber crystals for the second Death Star? Ilum? Lothal maybe?

The only explanation I can come up with is that the Empire was constructing the second one simultaneously in secret. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Massive amounts of self replicating construction droids were used in an effort to speed up construction. This was a new thing whom the director of the project pushed for. Also Death Star 2 looked similar but was in fact quite different from Death Star. It also was no where near being completed, pretty much just a weapons platform with no motility.

No mention of where the kyber came from, that's new canon I think. It just says Dozens of worlds were stripped for materials but no specific worlds were named. Kyber can still be synthesized in new canon. Classic Sith Red Sabers are still synthetic kyber soooo.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Because George Lucas is a lazy hack and ripped off ANH before Disney made it cool
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Because George Lucas is a lazy hack and ripped off ANH before Disney made it cool

Wha..?

The real reason is this:
    Disney messed up by destroying that plans (that existed in AOTC). And they messed up by gaylen making them.
    They could have left any of those 2 alone, but NOO. They had to ruin Star Wars lore (unless you $$$ books)
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Also you should never apply logic to Star Wars, it will drive you mad. Despite the futuristic looking technology it is pretty much D&D in space.

Disney is embracing this aspect so buckle up. Powerful tech used to be dependent on Pseudo Sciencey Super Magnet Technology, now it's all because of Magic Space Crystals.
    518 posts Member
    The plans weren't destroyed, they stole the plan. But the thing is, they stole the plan which indicate the failure in the First one, the Empire still have the plan, but not the one showing the failure of it, so they don't know how to search for it.

That's why I think they are building the exact same DS and that's why Rebels succeed to blow it again, after the shield went down.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    lol

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

• OldDakaNewBarber
    233 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Death Star 2 wookieepedia answers: link
    How did they build the Death Star so fast?
    They made it more quickly due to a more efficient building technique. Instead of shipping the bulk of components to a single staging area and building it all at once like the first DS, the second death star was built along a secret hypserspace route, with a dozen planets being stripped bare along it to supply the massive raw material used in the project. I'm pretty sure the first DS was also made mostly from material mined from asteroids, which would have taken much longer. More importantly than HOW it was built quicker was WHY. The second death star was usable as a weapon, but it was much more useful as bait to lure the Rebel fleet to Endor. By building it at incredible speed and leaving large swaths unfinished, the Emperor successfully made a deadline that forced the Rebels into rushing a decision that should have been fatal.
    Am I supposed to believe that in a quarter of the time the Empire was able to construct a Death Star without the plans?
    As mentioned before, they still had the plans. Rebels only stole a copy.
    Where'd they get the kyber crystals for the second Death Star? Ilum? Lothal maybe?
    Probably leftover from the first Death Star. As a military craft, the Death Star undoubtedly came with a list of recommended replacement parts to have in stock in case repairs were required. It's not a difficult stretch of the imagination to believe they would have mined lots of extra ones for the first as spares.

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Carbonari wrote: »
    lol

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Everything is so dense, every frame has so much going on.
  • Supercat wrote: »

Wha..?

The real reason is this:
    Disney messed up by destroying that plans (that existed in AOTC). And they messed up by gaylen making them.
    They could have left any of those 2 alone, but NOO. They had to ruin Star Wars lore (unless you $$$ books)

Yup looked up some the old canon.

Death Star 2 was ordered created after the Death Star was completed & before it was destroyed at the Battle of Yavin. It was also 4 in universe years between ANH and RotJ (0ABY Battle of Yavin, 4ABY Battle of Endor) and it was still not close to being completed which is why Palpatine decided to use it to lure the Rebels out.

Death Star 1 did take longer to complete for several reasons.
    1. Slave Uprisings and Sabotage. Slaves were initially used to construct it. They resisted and sabotaged systems whenever the could similar to Jewish forced labor in WW2.
    2. Emperor Palpatine had several years of civil unrest after dissolving the Republic. Assassination attempts, secessions, coups, and warfare. The Death Star was a backburner plan mostly championed by Tarkin. Most people thought it was a dumb idea & highly impractical.
    3. Problems with the technology. Turns out creating a Moon Sized, Hyperdrive capable, battle station is tough. They had problems with the Death Laser and Hyperdrives. Large Bodies had gravitational Mass Shadows which made light speed travel near them dangerous. The Death Star had it's own Mass Shadow which was a huge problem.
  • So I was watching ROTJ today and the thought popped into my head: how did they build the Death Star so fast?

Here's my logic. We see the beginning of construction of the first DS at the end of ROTS 19 years later is the test on Jedha. The plans for the Death Star are destroyed on scarif. The Death Star is blown up. Am I supposed to believe that in a quarter of the time the Empire was able to construct a Death Star without the plans? It doesn't add up. I get that it wasn't complete but it was pretty close. Where'd they get the kyber crystals for the second Death Star? Ilum? Lothal maybe?

The only explanation I can come up with is that the Empire was constructing the second one simultaneously in secret. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

yes they started a 2nd one before the 1st blew up alot of this was explained in what is now legends. originally the Death star didn't even use kyber crystals to fire that was added in the new canon.

Also before the new canon it was revealed that Palps wasn't truly evil he had great foresight and saw an attack from beyond the outter rim that would destroy all life. So he wanted to unite the galaxy and prepare for the attack by building super weapons, we all know how that turned out and ultimately many years later the attack happened and everyone died thanks to the rebels.
  • Come on now, you know, you really can't be in the super villains club if you don't have your moon laser.
    giphy.gif

The first one was destroyed, plot theory requires they have another, or you won't take them serious.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • My question is why security was so relatively minimal on the forest moon of Endor. The Empire really should have done a better job defending the shield generator protecting the project into which they clearly sunk massive amounts of resources.

Maybe Disney will release Rogue II explaining this?
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • My question is why security was so relatively minimal on the forest moon of Endor. The Empire really should have done a better job defending the shield generator protecting the project into which they clearly sunk massive amounts of resources.

Maybe Disney will release Rogue II explaining this?

I think history has shown that imperialism tends to minimize the capability of colonized people. In this case, the Ewoks. You could also see the rebels as a colonizing ("liberating") force that organized the Ewoks to fight for them against the Empire while they disabled the shield generator. The Empire didn't see the natives as a threat, the Rebels recruited them and had them do the fighting for them on the ground.

Rogue II won't happen...but I would like to know why so many Bothans died to bring the information to the Alliance.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    So I was watching ROTJ today and the thought popped into my head: how did they build the Death Star so fast?

Despite the fact that the timelines do not make sense - took far too plong to build the first death star compared tot he second, which was apparently much bigger in size compared to the first.

The plans were not removed from scarrif - only copied and beamed off world, but the death star removed the scarrif base (including the original plans) from the face of the galaxy.

Perhaps there were additional plans of Eadu - being that was the base of operations for the engineers that created the working plans for the death star. Perhaps sidious had plans himself, as Dooku took the original design specs to Sidious a long time ago (design specs - not actual working designs). THis may also account for the "flaw" created by Galen to be missing in the construction of the second death star.

But, I'd agree that the second death star was likely being built almost immediately after the first "test" on Jedha.

This is likely why the imperial officer is stressed at the beginning of ROTJ as to why he needs more men and the emperor is asking the impossible.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited April 2017
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    CL_Chaos wrote: »

yes they started a 2nd one before the 1st blew up alot of this was explained in what is now legends. originally the Death star didn't even use kyber crystals to fire that was added in the new canon.

Also before the new canon it was revealed that Palps wasn't truly evil he had great foresight and saw an attack from beyond the outter rim that would destroy all life. So he wanted to unite the galaxy and prepare for the attack by building super weapons, we all know how that turned out and ultimately many years later the attack happened and everyone died thanks to the rebels.

This is why the EU is garbage - they took the story of Darth Revan and made it into Sidious who was truly evil and power hungry. And like you say - this ridiculous "theory/story" is not cannon.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Supercat wrote: »

Wha..?

The real reason is this:

The plans seen in attack of the clones was nothing more than Idea Plans for something - the death star.

Galen and his band of engineers were required (like all inventions made in the real world) to turn design ideas into a working battle station.
  • Tman
    257 posts Member

Wha..?

The real reason is this:

Wha..?

The real reason is this:

The death star plans in AOTC were like concept art for a game. Galen is like the game developers.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Tman wrote: »

Wha..?

The real reason is this:

Wha..?

The real reason is this:

The death star plans in AOTC were like concept art for a game. Galen is like the game developers.

Where do you get this information?
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    Its obvious when you piece together the parts of the movies. Also its the only way it makes sense.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Its obvious when you piece together the parts of the movies. Also its the only way it makes sense.

It's the only way it makes sense... AFTER Disney messed up with RO.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member

That's what Galen was hired for. He took the original plans from the prequels and made them better with his smarts, but also added a loophole in them.

Doesn't that make more sense than them just building the deathstar with a giant weak point?
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    Mullato wrote: »

That's what Galen was hired for. He took the original plans from the prequels and made them better with his smarts, but also added a loophole in them.

Doesn't that make more sense than them just building the deathstar with a giant weak point?

+1