Is Rex the real META?

Prev1
MoBlaq
582 posts Member
Looking at SWGOH.GG the META Report shows that a particular Rex team is the most used for ranks 1-10 (I know it only counts people who register to the website), but it probably is a decent enough sample to get a relatively accurate state of the game. This one team also has risen in popularity to 23% (it was 21% yesterday)

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/10/#squads

So is...
Rex (L)
Chaze
DN
GK

The real META?

Replies

• WompWompRat
    1833 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't know. I know he's effective, but also keep in mind there's a lot more variation in that meta list in terms of Zaul teams vs Rex teams (e.g. add up all the Zaul leads vs the Rex leads). I do think a well put together Rex lead can have plenty of success with Zaul.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Options
    Zaul is used more than Rex.
    That particular team comp is just used the most
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    I use a Rex lead, but don't have Kenobi. Nihilus and Chirrut aren't leveled/geared up enough to be useful. If that's the real meta, I'm way behind.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Rex is meta, yes. Not sure what you mean by 'real' meta. Also, popularity =/= meta.
  • Options
    That's just the cookie cutter rex comp. Zaul teams have more options. Rex is just up there as a result of the zaul meta.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    That's just the cookie cutter rex comp. Zaul teams have more options. Rex is just up there as a result of the zaul meta.

I'm not sure that's true, zaul teams are 3 or more sith and there are not too many of those. And the other 2 when not sith are not that random.

Rex comps seem to be more random because his leader ability covers everyone.

I will agree rex is a counter to the meta not the lead in this case.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i'm not sure everyone on this forum has the same definition of "meta".
    Also, zMaul is just a counter to the rebel meta ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    i'm not sure everyone on this forum has the same definition of "meta".
    Also, zMaul is just a counter to the rebel meta ;)

True we don't really talk about it in the same context.

I would say zaul is a reaction to the rebel meta, you don't see many rebels toe to toe with zaul.

I call rex a counter because it makes some of the advantage of zaul meta work for your team. IMO.

I'm sure we all could go back and forth all day on the semantics
    :smile:
  • Options
    Rex teams have fewer options. Overall #1 zMaul teams double Rex.

Rex is also much worse on defense. zMaul RNG is ridiculous even if the AI is mediocre.
  • MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Rex is also much worse on defense. zMaul RNG is ridiculous even if the AI is mediocre.

I find that funny because with my Maul team I drop to the late teens to mid 20s, but with my Rex team, so far, I only feel to 9th

I will add I am using the Rex team with GK, Chaze, and DN
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options

I don't agree with any of this at all. I drop less with Rex than Maul and I think Maul teams I face on offense are easier than the Rex ones. (I do mean Zaul, I just think it's been long enough that enough people have Zaul and we can move on from calling him that).
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    Options
    Rex is only meta because Zaul is meta and there are no other counters to it. Once the rng dodge debuff meta goes away, so will Rex.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Availability plays a big part. Even now, far easier to 7* Maul than Rex. Also, EP and Savage r easier to acquire than Chirrut and Baze.

The masses will follow and will take the easiest path.

Nihilus was given away at 3* and very playable w/ no further investment.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The funny thing is, as a Maul user, I target Rex teams. They are so much easier to beat than other Maul teams. They are not a counter.
  • Options
    Yes, that is the most dominant team arrangement on most shards. It holds better on defense than Zaul arrangements, and easily handles on offense (if you lose on offense, you're doing something wrong).
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    The funny thing is, as a Maul user, I target Rex teams. They are so much easier to beat than other Maul teams. They are not a counter.

On offense it is. Barely anything holds on defense. I haven't seen a Maul team I can't beat on offense with Rex yet.
  • MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    Options

Are you targeting the specific team I mentioned? The double taunt, triple cleanse Rex teams with GK as the 2nd tank?

• Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sying wrote: »

On offense it is. Barely anything holds on defense. I haven't seen a Maul team I can't beat on offense with Rex yet.

Rex lead is a good team. It can win because the AI sucks and you control the matchups. It's not a better team or a counter to a Maul team.
    MoBlaq wrote: »

Are you targeting the specific team I mentioned? The double taunt, triple cleanse Rex teams with GK as the 2nd tank?

Rex, GK, Chaze part is the same, yes. None of them use DN though. Set Maul to attack first, he uses AOE Daze, and then DN follows it up with TM down, and the Rex lead is useless and it's 2 turns until cleanse can be used. It's pretty much over at that point, as I've killed off GK already (if I didn't bring a dispel) and Nihilus is closing in on his instakill. Even a human controlling the other side wouldn't stand a chance without a timely resist.

• vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

This unless they run chaze. I get beaten by slower maul teams on offence, despite being significantly faster and having SA give that additional TM at the get-go. Haven't had time to really pay attention to zaul TM logic but I clearly must miss something, losing to slower zauls on offence.
  • Options

Rex lead is a good team. It can win because the AI sucks and you control the matchups. It's not a better team or a counter to a Maul team.

Rex, GK, Chaze part is the same, yes. None of them use DN though. Set Maul to attack first, he uses AOE Daze, and then DN follows it up with TM down, and the Rex lead is useless and it's 2 turns until cleanse can be used. It's pretty much over at that point, as I've killed off GK already (if I didn't bring a dispel) and Nihilus is closing in on his instakill. Even a human controlling the other side wouldn't stand a chance without a timely resist.

That's the thing most zaul users arent smart enough to run this setup and don't realize that rex is hardly a zaul 'counter'.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    Options
    Yes it is. Can we nerf Rex already
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

you make it sound like rex teams can't beat zmaul teams as long as DN is present and maul himself goes first, wich is utter nonsense. Even if maul dazes and DN increases CD's of all 5 it still isn't a sure loss.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Options

Agree Rex is not a hard counter but rather just a counter which you have to be on par or exceed the power/mods of the other team (and then some rng in some cases).

IMO a true hard counter is a team that specifically is strong against the opposing team. Sort of like how Zaul is a hard counter to the rebel wiggs/lando fast glass canon crit teams it replaced.

• Options
    vessaharja wrote: »

This unless they run chaze. I get beaten by slower maul teams on offence, despite being significantly faster and having SA give that additional TM at the get-go. Haven't had time to really pay attention to zaul TM logic but I clearly must miss something, losing to slower zauls on offence.

Assassin randomizes your turn order unless you run your Sith very slow. If the opponents are fast enough, the 20% tm gain from evasion can put them into the same RNG bucket cor deciding the next turn. At that point, it's all about limiting the effect RNG can have on a match.
  • Options
    Rex and chaze are the real meta. Add two to these (GK is a good option) and you can get the #1 without a sweat
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

This is totally false information - not if you're running 3x cleanse + DN and Rex is the leader. That squad is now up to 26% usage on GG. It's steadily risen over the past few weeks.

zDM squads even struggle vs. well-built DN-lead squads. The 2 other main meta leaders, Rex and DN, Maul is not a great match for.
    Post edited by JohnnySteelAlpha on
  • Options

That's the thing most zaul users arent smart enough to run this setup and don't realize that rex is hardly a zaul 'counter'.

Always a negative perspective. Maybe zDM users don't want to cripple DN / EP / other Sith in that comp with super slow speed mods and have to bother with swapping mods all the time when they want to use them in other arena comps / raids / GW. Also, nerfing the speed of your other Sith puts you in bad position vs. other zDM comps that are pushing max speed. Ever use EP or DN if they are at <130 speed? It's terrible how slow and ineffective they are.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

you make it sound like rex teams can't beat zmaul teams as long as DN is present and maul himself goes first, wich is utter nonsense. Even if maul dazes and DN increases CD's of all 5 it still isn't a sure loss.

If both of those happen, yes, it is essentially over, assuming near equal mods/gear/etc.
  • Options

Zaul vs Zaul is an RNG shitstorm. It's luck to see who dodges and who goes first with so many TM ties. I hate it.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Zaul vs Zaul is an RNG shitstorm. It's luck to see who dodges and who goes first with so many TM ties. I hate it.

I find facing zDM to be a pretty solid win scenario once you are using EP basic to shock and FF a specific Sith. Target DN specifically and the rest of the Sith don't have a lot of punching power to kill you. Just have a taunt or non-Sith for EP and load him up with protection. I often get 2-3 shocks to land successfully - that very effectively shuts down TM gain and the stealth.

Also, I'll say that if you're not facing the DN version of Rex 3x cleanse it's a big difference. Even with the DM daze land and the lockdown for the first part of the match, DN in a later round taking all of your CD is where the team can make a comeback, especially with ten up and chirrut's heal in place. Your specials will be on CD during that time and you aren't nearly as effective in that round - meanwhile they're unloading all the best stuff on you. It's especially deadly IF the enemy DN has his unique zeta'd, so even in that early round barrage he has a very potent health down on you that makes you pretty easy pickings once the protection is gone. Also, it practically guarantees the enemy DN will yank all 5 CD - which in rd 2 means he will likely be closing in on annihilate at a similar rate as your own DN.

Edit: There are now 3 clone rex 3x cleanse DN squads on my shard I've been fighting for weeks now. I haven't nerf modded my Sith, but even when DM goes first for the daze by grace of RNG it can still lose to the AI.