Do you guys have no middle ground?

Prev1
Ig88isboss
1752 posts Member
edited April 2017
It's either cg releases completely useless, underpowered toons like gar, super trooper and Pao or god like characters like chaze and zaul. Is there no middle ground here? It's hard to get excited for characters that are utter garbage and offer no strategic advantage against these god-tier characters. It's just becoming disgustingly unbalanced.

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    The new mandalorians are the middle ground. Saxon lead sounds like a lot a fun. No, its not meta or arena viable, but im imagining EP putting shock on everyone.

Also, do you really want every new toon to be meta? People already complain about the quick meta turnover rate. If every new toon was arena viable, there would be a new meta every week.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    The new mandalorians are the middle ground. Saxon lead sounds like a lot a fun. No, its not meta or arena viable, but im imagining EP putting shock on everyone.

Also, do you really want every new toon to be meta? People already complain about the quick meta turnover rate. If every new toon was arena viable, there would be a new meta every week.

^^^

I would like a direct Zaul counter though, Bodhi is laughable and Rex is not a direct counter, despite being a good one.
  • Can they just release the 5th ewok instead of all those garbage toons?
  • I do like how certain characters like DN can work well as his own lead or as part of various squads. That was cool. I also like how support toons like Sith Assassin/Trooper can bond well with each other and bring out the best of other characters around them.
  • if you don't want them don't farm them. TBH I'm happy they won't shape the meta so I won't have to farm and gear them.
  • MoBlaq
    581 posts Member
    I am still waiting for the Meat Lump King
  • The real meta has been secondary speed mods ever since mods were released. Will that ever change?
  • I think what people miss is they release characters for more than just arena. Some look specifically made for raids given their kits. That's a huge part of the game and raids / arena do have very different skill needs. Tusken Shaman, Teebo, Dengar are all examples of pretty bad arena characters that can do great things in raids. Conversely, some great arena characters are kinda useless in raids. GK isn't bad necessarily, but I don't see where he's all that much of a difference maker in either raid really. I think you can say the same for DM - where's he really outstanding and special at in a raid?

Also, Gar's kit looks solid to me. Turning Empire in to counter attackers looks useful. His AOE skill also looks pretty imposing - 3rd highest AOE per GG in damage and it has a 2x multiplier for enemies <50% TM ... and for enemies over 50% TM it yanks 30% TM. That's pretty darn strong. Arguably he now has the best aoe skill in the game. His speed and health aren't terrible. I think he looks like a good balanced release.

• DatBoi wrote: »

^^^

I would like a direct Zaul counter though, Bodhi is laughable and Rex is not a direct counter, despite being a good one.

With multiple cleansers he very much is a direct counter with 90%+ win rates. Rex leader is now up to 32% on GG, Maul's is down to 43% - the #1 used team continues to increase in popularity and it's a Rex-led team. Now 31% of all #1 ranks on GG use a Rex led 3x cleanse team. Most common single team comp by far.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    it's the players who think in extremes, not the devs. There are quite a few "middle ground" characters, but players consider them garbage just because they aren't OP/meta.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Can they just release the 5th ewok instead of all those garbage toons?

I hope you're joking, because people want to see actual cool and known characters in this game, not just some random teddy bears that we see for like a half hour
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Soldier76 wrote: »
    Can they just release the 5th ewok instead of all those garbage toons?

I hope you're joking, because people want to see actual cool and known characters in this game, not just some random teddy bears that we see for like a half hour

you'd be suprised ;)
  • Monxie
    559 posts Member
    Soldier76 wrote: »

A fifth Ewok would make a lot of sense though, since the current 4 Ewok's can't really be used anywhere at the moment. Besides, Ewoks are always better than toons from a toddler's show.
  • Soldier76 wrote: »

And Wicket W. Warwick ain't known by most SW fans?
  • Monxie wrote: »
    Besides, Ewoks are always better than toons from a toddler's show.
    ::ahem:: Ewoks are literally toons from a toddler's show. It ran 35 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLt0GaIBMIs
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    It's either cg releases completely useless, underpowered toons like gar, super trooper and Pao or god like characters like chaze and zaul. Is there no middle ground here? It's hard to get excited for characters that are utter garbage and offer no strategic advantage against these god-tier characters. It's just becoming disgustingly unbalanced.

The middle ground is characters like Sabine, a good character but ultimately pointless because why invest in her when you can invest in Chaze or Zaul more easily for better payoff

Until they balance the meta/overpowered characters there will never be a middle ground because even the middle ground characters are a **** idea to use thanks to the meta characters
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    weren't there just a bunch of threads asking for new content?
  • leef wrote: »
    it's the players who think in extremes, not the devs. There are quite a few "middle ground" characters, but players consider them garbage just because they aren't OP/meta.

^^^ This

The middle ground is characters like Sabine, a good character but ultimately pointless because why invest in her when you can invest in Chaze or Zaul more easily for better payoff

Until they balance the meta/overpowered characters there will never be a middle ground because even the middle ground characters are a **** idea to use thanks to the meta characters

This!
  • Kivoku
    190 posts Member

+1 to this. I know current meta has a little more flexibility than some previous ones (Dooku/old ben evasion meta, Wiggando meta), but wouldn't it be wonderful to have 10+ viable teams for top 10. I know, I know... this is a ridiculous statement worthy only of scorn and derision.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

I can assure you that the devs have no intention of balancing the characters in a way that it wouldn't payoff to farm/gear/buy meta characters.
    I'd just accept that fact and move on, or you're gonna be disappointed all day every day.
  • The real meta has been secondary speed mods ever since mods were released. Will that ever change?

No, THIS^^^

There is no toon that can't be made better with Speed -- and as such -- made better then other toons with more speed. Well... okay, some toons won't be good even with +200 speed.... I give.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • DrewR
    272 posts Member
    Of course there are middle grounds. Look at all the new Rebels, they definitely not at the top or bottom. B)
  • WhackyFishi
    114 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    leef wrote: »

I can assure you that the devs have no intention of balancing the characters in a way that it wouldn't payoff to farm/gear/buy meta characters.
    I'd just accept that fact and move on, or you're gonna be disappointed all day every day.

I mean I obviously don't want a completely even playing field where you could go in with a nightsister team and beat for example a wiggsando-chaze but just a little diversity would be nice.

-New shards are completely ruled by wiggsando for the entire top 100 because every other better or even on-par combo needs either a higher level or much longer to farm

-Slightly older shards like mine are a mix of wiggsando, and nihilus leads with dooku, sith trooper, vader and misc 5th sith, and very recently some rex leads started appearing - this is the most variety there is and it's still stale as hell because the rexes are just replacing the nihiluses

-Established shards seem to be almost exclusively zaul and rex from what I read/see
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Garbage for what? Arena? Well Arena is only one aspect of the game and it's not CG's sole focus. If you only care about having characters to improve your arena squad, then focus on those.

There are many middle ground characters in this game, and there are many characters that can be either below average or they can be fantastic, depending on the team they're in, and there are many characters that are poor in the arena, but can do wonders in other areas of the game. Also, there are characters that are great on some shards and for low to mid lvl players, and other characters that matter more when you're lvl 85 and on an old shard.

You talk as if being no.1 in the arena is the only thing that matters in this game, and that lvl 85 players in old shards with zetaed characters are all this game is about. Characters like Talia, Chewie and jawa are indispensable for beginners. Luminara and Phasma are fantastic for mid lvl players. A character like tusken shaman is poor in most parts of the game, but can work wonders with a zetaed Vader in the HAAT raid. Clone sergeant is normally an average character, but can really shine on a clone team. Jedi Consular is a below average character for advanced players, but he has an awesome ship. The vast number of characters in this game have their uses in different stages and areas of the game.

I would agree though that there are some characters that should be improved, as they are below average in all stages of the game, and will inevitably end up disappointing people who have invested in them (i.e. stormtrooper, lobot, mob enforcer and possibly Pao as well). But I think it's good with almost OP characters that require a lot of time and effort to acquire (GK, Baze, zeta Maul), so there's always something to strive for.

PS. I don't understand why you'd call Gar underpowered. He seems to have some fascinating abilities, that could be amazing on a counter attack team, as he'll be assisting and slowing all the time, and he seems to have a great AOE attack that will constantly have its cooldown reduced. His leader ability will be interesting as well.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Gar lead looks extremely fun. He gives more counter chance than IGD does to Jedi, and some defense. Putting him with EP and Deathtrooper could be rather deadly. DT and EP stop enemies from gaining TM, DT can stun if they're already dazed. DT's biggest problem is he's too slow, giving him counter chance takes that out of the way (except for daze obviously). EP counter attacking is just lol. Spread shock, laugh maniacally, stun everyone for two turns with offense up. Deathmark someone, even if they get a turn you're likely to counter attack, and call Gar Saxon so they're basically dead no matter what. He's not underpowered, he's just not the anti-daze anti-stealth meta breaker that would put an end to zaul.
    518 posts Member
    I'll be honest, that's always good to see some new toons but we have to say it right : it does not bring content to the game and it will not bring back from the dead some factions/chars that are garbage because they're not evolving as the game is.

But thanks for new chars, I'm happy with it ! :)
    518 posts Member
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Gar lead looks extremely fun. He gives more counter chance than IGD does to Jedi, and some defense. Putting him with EP and Deathtrooper could be rather deadly. DT and EP stop enemies from gaining TM, DT can stun if they're already dazed. DT's biggest problem is he's too slow, giving him counter chance takes that out of the way (except for daze obviously). EP counter attacking is just lol. Spread shock, laugh maniacally, stun everyone for two turns with offense up. Deathmark someone, even if they get a turn you're likely to counter attack, and call Gar Saxon so they're basically dead no matter what. He's not underpowered, he's just not the anti-daze anti-stealth meta breaker that would put an end to zaul.

I won't be that sure about breaking the meta. Even though I deeply agree about the funny part of playing him. But 50% is not that much to call it a meta breaking, considering no DS chars are cleanser either way, especially not empire chars. Will we see more Magmatrooper, resisting to debuff easily ? Will RG be back in the meta, since he can reduce CD of Gar and bring what a counter team lack -> Defense and Health UP ?
  • I think what people miss is they release characters for more than just arena. Some look specifically made for raids given their kits. That's a huge part of the game and raids / arena do have very different skill needs. Tusken Shaman, Teebo, Dengar are all examples of pretty bad arena characters that can do great things in raids. Conversely, some great arena characters are kinda useless in raids. GK isn't bad necessarily, but I don't see where he's all that much of a difference maker in either raid really. I think you can say the same for DM - where's he really outstanding and special at in a raid?

Also, Gar's kit looks solid to me. Turning Empire in to counter attackers looks useful. His AOE skill also looks pretty imposing - 3rd highest AOE per GG in damage and it has a 2x multiplier for enemies <50% TM ... and for enemies over 50% TM it yanks 30% TM. That's pretty darn strong. Arguably he now has the best aoe skill in the game. His speed and health aren't terrible. I think he looks like a good balanced release.

^^ This guy right here. We need more reasonable heads like this.