Does Gar Saxon look any good?

Prev13
Thoughts?

Replies

• Maul food.
  • Add about 10 to 15 more base speed (pre-mods), give the Empire a cleanser, and yeah they look solid. Otherwise, no they don't look good. Keep in-mind we don't know what Empire are coming still and that could change things, but if I had to make a judgement call based on what we know today then I would say "no."
  • He seems pretty decent, given the fact that he has 100% assist chance. If this is used with Wiggs, you basically call 4 total attacks which is ridiculous. Aside from that, every time you use a basic attack, you will call him to help you. Seems pretty decent in a Zader team, as he will also remove turn meter. So technically each time you attack someone in a Zader team there is a change you will remove the total of 50% tm instead of just 25%.
  • He seems pretty decent, given the fact that he has 100% assist chance. If this is used with Wiggs, you basically call 4 total attacks which is ridiculous. Aside from that, every time you use a basic attack, you will call him to help you. Seems pretty decent in a Zader team, as he will also remove turn meter. So technically each time you attack someone in a Zader team there is a change you will remove the total of 50% tm instead of just 25%.

It only happens on a enemies turn... So only assists on counters.
  • TM king on Zader team I think.
  • Does he look any good? Depends which side of the Helmet Civil War you're on, because helmets are more important then Character abilities.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Does he look any good? Depends which side of the Helmet Civil War you're on, because helmets are more important then Character abilities.

He looks good because he has a helmet. Wait, you mean his abilities? Well, they're ok, but his helmet is awesome.
  • Arena viability? Nope. P3 HAAT as lead in an empire team? Maybe.
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    He seems pretty decent, given the fact that he has 100% assist chance. If this is used with Wiggs, you basically call 4 total attacks which is ridiculous. Aside from that, every time you use a basic attack, you will call him to help you. Seems pretty decent in a Zader team, as he will also remove turn meter. So technically each time you attack someone in a Zader team there is a change you will remove the total of 50% tm instead of just 25%.

It only happens on a enemies turn... So only assists on counters.

You're right, I had missed that part out. Perhaps in a team with Kylo or Chaze.
  • Cogito
    94 posts Member
    Thing is he got less health and protection than ISC who isn't a tank ... so I don't know if he will be tanky enough. Empire needs a cleanser for sure
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I could see good synergy with dooku (especially under zader)
  • I'm just not sure that his leadership ability is good enough to replace Zader or Palp.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I'm just not sure that his leadership ability is good enough to replace Zader or Palp.

But can you imagine palpatine with counter chance? He would be putting shock on everybody and gaining tons of turn meter
    518 posts Member
    50% counter is not that good, hope to see a DS cleanser asap too.
    Can be quite good with other speed down chars who have counter (Hi Fives ;) ) !
    Full of assists so you might need people a bit tanky to see it work (Vader, Shore, RG, DT).
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Guest wrote: »
    Full of assists so you might need people a bit tanky to see it work (Vader, Shore, RG, DT).

I don't know - 50% counter with all of the AoEs flying around in arena might be solid. Especially since many Empire toons have some very nice debuffs on their basic (Vader, DT, Palp, TFP and even RG) - TFP's is sheer damage. Obviously you have to pick just 4 (or less if you want to run something else in there) - but there are some solid choices.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

I don't know - 50% counter with all of the AoEs flying around in arena might be solid. Especially since many Empire toons have some very nice debuffs on their basic (Vader, DT, Palp, TFP and even RG) - TFP's is sheer damage. Obviously you have to pick just 4 (or less if you want to run something else in there) - but there are some solid choices.

Yea too bad mauls daze makes his leader ability unviable.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

That's why I suggested running one less - Rex or GK to cleanse that daze! ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help

Too late, nihilus drained your cool downs :worried:
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

Arena battles last more than one round. I beat whale teams who have SA and Nihilus (who both go before mine) almost every day - and they're both 7*. Sometimes RNG works in your favor, sometimes it doesn't.

Honestly, to have this discussion fairly, we'd have to construct both teams in a realistic and maximized way. For example, with EP's shock & stun, Vader's basic and DT, you could conceivably keep Nihilus from ever annihilating - even if he gets first drop. And keep in mind, Gar himself can throw speed down with his basic (which also assists a counter).

There is a lot more there than I think you are taking into account.

Only Sith think in absolutes.

• Cesium
    230 posts Member

Perfect :D
    F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • Thinking of running him on my Rex lead with kylo and chaze. Every time baze gets attacked they'll be an extra assist. Any mass attacks will trigger a triple from baze, kylo, and gar.

Arena battles last more than one round. I beat whale teams who have SA and Nihilus (who both go before mine) almost every day - and they're both 7*. Sometimes RNG works in your favor, sometimes it doesn't.

Honestly, to have this discussion fairly, we'd have to construct both teams in a realistic and maximized way. For example, with EP's shock & stun, Vader's basic and DT, you could conceivably keep Nihilus from ever annihilating - even if he gets first drop. And keep in mind, Gar himself can throw speed down with his basic (which also assists a counter).

There is a lot more there than I think you are taking into account.

I think the only way to run them is with a Rex lead. You can cleanse them and what not for sure, but they are so **** slow; they need a ton of bonus speed from Mods to really be viable. Rex will help with that at least. Rex plus those two and Chaze could be pretty crazy. Or maybe Rex, 2 new guys, GK, and Deathtrooper? Dunno... it's all theoretical at this point. But what we do know is they're sub-130 speed before mods and the current meta can really hurt them without a good cleanse or two.
  • He doesn't look like he's going to be the best Empire leader, but he could be an exceptionally funny one.
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member

Battles last more than 2 turns.

Maul daze is normally the first attack done followed by dn CD reduction. A high speed cleanser can easily get a second turn to cleanse daze and let the counter attacking happen

Your have been one of the ones claiming Chaze is OP because of the constant counter attacks yet another counter ability comes along and you answer to it is immediately:

C'mon man. I bet if they had a droid lead with 50% counter chance you would be coming up with all kinds of theories why Maul daze wouldn't stop them.
  • Does he look any good? Depends which side of the Helmet Civil War you're on, because helmets are more important then Character abilities.

+1
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »

Battles last more than 2 turns.

Maul daze is normally the first attack done followed by dn CD reduction. A high speed cleanser can easily get a second turn to cleanse daze and let the counter attacking happen

Your have been one of the ones claiming Chaze is OP because of the constant counter attacks yet another counter ability comes along and you answer to it is immediately:

C'mon man. I bet if they had a droid lead with 50% counter chance you would be coming up with all kinds of theories why Maul daze wouldn't stop them.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I just don't see this working better than zader. We will only know when someone actually puts it to the test. But my personal prediction is it won't be viable.

Fair enough. I am hoping it beats the snot out of zeta Maul and his non rule of 2 hiding companions.
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    Under a Zader Zooku, with Zylo, his assist on counter would be dealing tons of speed down. Folks... we might have the Rebel killer. Add sith Trooper or RG to protect .
  • REX (L) Fives Chaze GAR SAXON
  • Leader looks more raid beneficial - especially the zeta. 5% heal idk what that's doing in arena. EP / DM would really make that leader skill in rd 1 weak. 50% isn't even particularly high for countering. His AOE skill though looks like an elite level skill - the trick is how do you get that off early in the match? That would be pretty potent behind a zDV leader. DV puts speed down, you could get some nice cooldowns on that aoe from Saxy's basic and get the aoe off a few times. If you could fit Dooku behind the zDV leader he'd also 100% assist on all Dooku counters. After zDV speed down is applied that's insta CD reduction on a dooku counter. I think you'll need to pay attention to the potential rework that's being teased to get a feel for how strong he can be in arena.
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    He doesn't look terrible, but I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that he might be great.