Where's The Optimism?

ThalosKirano
728 posts Member
edited February 2016
90% of posts on this forum are either: a) nerf Poe, b) the devs are crazy for not nerfing Poe, c) GW is unbalanced and this game hates me or d) complaints about 100 other elements of the game. Where has the optimism gone? I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have no issue with people expressing said opinion, but it'd be nice to read something positive on here for once. Sure, the game isn't perfect and has balancing issues, but what game doesn't? The same people who complain time after time will quite happily continue to play the game, so it can't be that bad.

Have patience, have faith in the devs and let's see where this game takes us in the next few months. Above all just try to enjoy it for what it is; a game.

Replies

  • Options
    +1
  • Options
    Why do you think balance discussion is pessimistic?
    The same people who complain time after time will quite happily continue to play the game, so it can't be that bad.
    If people didn't like the game they wouldn't be here at all. When people enjoy something they like to discuss it. To criticise it's weaknesses. To suggest how it may be improved. That's not the same as saying the game is bad and it is not inherently negative.

    I get that if you interpret all this criticism as something that is horrible this forums must seem horrendous. But the only real solution to that is not in changing the forums but in changing your own perspective on the discussion.
  • Options
    Findec wrote: »
    Why do you think balance discussion is pessimistic?
    The same people who complain time after time will quite happily continue to play the game, so it can't be that bad.
    If people didn't like the game they wouldn't be here at all. When people enjoy something they like to discuss it. To criticise it's weaknesses. To suggest how it may be improved. That's not the same as saying the game is bad and it is not inherently negative.

    I get that if you interpret all this criticism as something that is horrible this forums must seem horrendous. But the only real solution to that is not in changing the forums but in changing your own perspective on the discussion.

    I'm fine with my perspective. Why would I view negative posts berating the devs as negative? Hmm, let me think on that one for a minute...
  • Options
    I'm fine with my perspective. Why would I view negative posts berating the devs as negative? Hmm, let me think on that one for a minute...
    Probably because you have convinced yourself that the criticism is somehow equal to "berating the devs".

    I am not saying that no one does berate the devs but actually the majority of the criticism is civil and interesting.
  • Options
    There is a difference between constructive criticism and berating the devs. Some absolutely do berate the devs and cross lines in my opinion. Others talk about a game they enjoy and are passionate about, and want things changed according to their view (maybe not correct view). The second group is not hostile, and should not be viewed as such
  • Options
    I'm pretty optimistic about this game except for breaking into the top 100 in arena.
  • Options
    Findec wrote: »
    I'm fine with my perspective. Why would I view negative posts berating the devs as negative? Hmm, let me think on that one for a minute...
    Probably because you have convinced yourself that the criticism is somehow equal to "berating the devs".

    I am not saying that no one does berate the devs but actually the majority of the criticism is civil and interesting.

    Well, given the fact that a) I can read, and b) I am not dumb, I haven't "convinced myself" of anything, I know what I read and most of it is berating the devs. Maybe you need to read them more closely rather than telling others to do so.
  • Options
    There is a difference between constructive criticism and berating the devs. Some absolutely do berate the devs and cross lines in my opinion. Others talk about a game they enjoy and are passionate about, and want things changed according to their view (maybe not correct view). The second group is not hostile, and should not be viewed as such

    Not everyone berates the devs, and I never said they did. But most of the posts on here are pessimistic and very few posts on here offer praise for the game or optimism.
  • aeonaxx
    57 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Post removed due to ToS violation.
    Post edited by nidkotorious on
  • Options
    Not everyone berates the devs, and I never said they did. But most of the posts on here are pessimistic and very few posts on here offer praise for the game or optimism.
    The reason so few of the posts praise the game is that quite frankly praising the game is boring. It's boring in that it doesn't really elicit much of a response.

    You can talk at length about the intricacies of balance. You can go into detail into how the speed stat effects the game. How defense is insufficient. How certain characters are overpowered or underpowered and what part of their stats and abilities makes them so.

    You can talk about how a character has potential that is unrealised due to some element of that character. You can speculate on how effective a character change might be or how game modes might be improved. However All of these subjects can be seen as "pessimistic" and "negative" discussion.

    What you are asking for is discussion about what people like. Discussion that begins with deep intellectual phrases like "thanks devs" and elicits thrilling responses like "I agree", "well said" and my all time favorite "+1". And if you like those threads. That's fine, start one. Just don't complain while other people talk about the state of the game.
  • Options
    @Findec You're blinded by this forum. Whenever anybody tries to post anything positive, they get shot down and called deluded for supporting the game and the devs. It's happened just this week to people like @DarthMasterShawn. Yet if you make a post complaining about the game everybody joins in, it's ridiculous. I'd you genuinely think an intellectual discussion can't be had about the games positive points then I pity your mind.
  • Options
    @Findec You're blinded by this forum. Whenever anybody tries to post anything positive, they get shot down and called deluded for supporting the game and the devs. It's happened just this week to people like @DarthMasterShawn. Yet if you make a post complaining about the game everybody joins in, it's ridiculous. I'd you genuinely think an intellectual discussion can't be had about the games positive points then I pity your mind.
    It's funny I commented in one of his discussions earlier this week. I criticised not the devs and not him but some of the logic of his post. In response he called me entitled, called me a spoiled brat, called me a troll and told me to shut up. It's funny that he made a thread about being positive. But at the first sign of even mild-mannered criticism he responded with one of the most negative and most rude posts I have seen on this forum.

    It's like there is a bait and switch going on here. All these (in my opinion reasonable) balance discussions are being called negative and pessimistic. Meanwhile people are using insults and strawmen to shut down reasonable discussion and calling for people to do nothing but praise the game.
  • Options
    So let me ask you. If they gave us gum.
    Would that make things better?
  • Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    So let me ask you. If they gave us gum.
    Would that make things better?

    Must be a cookie or it is not enough. Chocolate chip too. Whose Poe will bake the cookie though?
  • Options
    Findec wrote: »
    @Findec You're blinded by this forum. Whenever anybody tries to post anything positive, they get shot down and called deluded for supporting the game and the devs. It's happened just this week to people like @DarthMasterShawn. Yet if you make a post complaining about the game everybody joins in, it's ridiculous. I'd you genuinely think an intellectual discussion can't be had about the games positive points then I pity your mind.
    It's funny I commented in one of his discussions earlier this week. I criticised not the devs and not him but some of the logic of his post. In response he called me entitled, called me a spoiled brat, called me a troll and told me to shut up. It's funny that he made a thread about being positive. But at the first sign of even mild-mannered criticism he responded with one of the most negative and most rude posts I have seen on this forum.

    It's like there is a bait and switch going on here. All these (in my opinion reasonable) balance discussions are being called negative and pessimistic. Meanwhile people are using insults and strawmen to shut down reasonable discussion and calling for people to do nothing but praise the game.

    See this is where you're wrong, I never said people should do nothing but praise the game, I'm asking for some positivity and your reaction is prime example. I post asking for positivity and all you've done is try to argue and make my post seem invalid. You've made my point for me.
  • Options
    Findec wrote: »
    @Findec You're blinded by this forum. Whenever anybody tries to post anything positive, they get shot down and called deluded for supporting the game and the devs. It's happened just this week to people like @DarthMasterShawn. Yet if you make a post complaining about the game everybody joins in, it's ridiculous. I'd you genuinely think an intellectual discussion can't be had about the games positive points then I pity your mind.
    It's funny I commented in one of his discussions earlier this week. I criticised not the devs and not him but some of the logic of his post. In response he called me entitled, called me a spoiled brat, called me a troll and told me to shut up. It's funny that he made a thread about being positive. But at the first sign of even mild-mannered criticism he responded with one of the most negative and most rude posts I have seen on this forum.

    It's like there is a bait and switch going on here. All these (in my opinion reasonable) balance discussions are being called negative and pessimistic. Meanwhile people are using insults and strawmen to shut down reasonable discussion and calling for people to do nothing but praise the game.

    Call it as I see it mate. No need to come bring negative to a positive post. I posted a thank you for steps taken, yet you had to murk it up with your negativity because it is not enough for you. Good for you. Make your own thread. Don't come and murk my genuine thank you up. You are entitled. If they gave you a free 4* toon you'd complain it was not 5,lol.

    My points were all val;id based on observation. Did the Red card solve the cred shortage, no, did it help a bit, yes. I'm happy that I got 125k in 2 days for simply clicking the red card. It was something they did not have to do, but did, I showed appreciation, and you brought negativity.

    It would be like you going to an appreciation event for someone and stating their flaws and how they did not do enough. It is rude and disrespectful, and I'm sorry but I give those who behave that way that treatment back.

    I'm done on that topic. I had the thread closed because of people like you. Move on. I had already forgotten about it.
  • Options
    Findec wrote: »
    @Findec You're blinded by this forum. Whenever anybody tries to post anything positive, they get shot down and called deluded for supporting the game and the devs. It's happened just this week to people like @DarthMasterShawn. Yet if you make a post complaining about the game everybody joins in, it's ridiculous. I'd you genuinely think an intellectual discussion can't be had about the games positive points then I pity your mind.
    It's funny I commented in one of his discussions earlier this week. I criticised not the devs and not him but some of the logic of his post. In response he called me entitled, called me a spoiled brat, called me a troll and told me to shut up. It's funny that he made a thread about being positive. But at the first sign of even mild-mannered criticism he responded with one of the most negative and most rude posts I have seen on this forum.

    It's like there is a bait and switch going on here. All these (in my opinion reasonable) balance discussions are being called negative and pessimistic. Meanwhile people are using insults and strawmen to shut down reasonable discussion and calling for people to do nothing but praise the game.

    See this is where you're wrong, I never said people should do nothing but praise the game, I'm asking for some positivity and your reaction is prime example. I post asking for positivity and all you've done is try to argue and make my post seem invalid. You've made my point for me.

    Trolls will be trolls, brats will be brats. Best to just ignore them. They will sit and argue all day because they lack anything better to do and it makes them feel special.

    Just offer them gum and a cookie and a pat on the back and move on is my advice,lol.

    I'm optimistic he will reply negatively again,lol.

    Cheers I'm out of this as I prefer other activities than arguing with a negative person.
  • Options
    I tried eating gum and a cookie and it made my gum feel like I was chewing on cellulite. :/
  • Options
    @DarthMasterShawn True. I'm off to bed now anyway so I'll no doubt see further negativity from him in the morning.

    @BentWookie Can I have a gun instead of gum?
  • Options
    @DarthMasterShawn True. I'm off to bed now anyway so I'll no doubt see further negativity from him in the morning.

    @BentWookie Can I have a gun instead of gum?

    Sure, it's your right!

    Good night..

  • Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    @DarthMasterShawn True. I'm off to bed now anyway so I'll no doubt see further negativity from him in the morning.

    @BentWookie Can I have a gun instead of gum?

    Sure, it's your right!

    Good night..

    Good man.

    Good night to you too, Sir.
  • Options
    wrote: »
    Call it as I see it mate. No need to come bring negative to a positive post. I posted a thank you for steps taken, yet you had to murk it up with your negativity because it is not enough for you. Good for you. Make your own thread. Don't come and murk my genuine thank you up. You are entitled. If they gave you a free 4* toon you'd complain it was not 5,lol.
    @DarthMasterShawn I never said that the event wasn't good enough or that they did not do enough. In fact I didn't criticise the event at all. I merely pointed out that it wasn't what you were saying ti was and your response was to strawman me and insult my character.

    The only person who brought negativity to that thread was you and now you bring yet more negativity in the form of outright lies about what I wrote.
    It would be like you going to an appreciation event for someone and stating their flaws and how they did not do enough. It is rude and disrespectful, and I'm sorry but I give those who behave that way that treatment back.
    I didn't lie about you. I didn't strawman you or insult you. You were not treating me as I treated you. You were acting like a petulant child.

    Legitimately you have been the author of the most negative posts I have seen on this forum. You are in no position to talk about positivity.
    I'm optimistic he will reply negatively again,lol.
    Of course I am going to reply when you lie. Am I supposed to not respond to that?
  • Options
    To answer the original question, the patch notes killed my optimism. In your words, 90% of the posts on this forum are about nerfing Poe. The fact that EA made no significant changes to him shows that they don't really listen to the player base. If a company doesn't listen to player input, there's no reason for optimism.
Sign In or Register to comment.