GG META Report Update - Highest Single Team Usage % on gg Ever?

Replies

• KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Thanks for the update on the Meta report. Pretty amazing how quickly R2 has made his way on to top teams in Arena shards.

I run zzR2 myself and I am finding he is a very good support toon. Not OP, just very good.

He is also very versatile for me since I have quite a few light side team comps (ie. Rex/GK/Chaze, Rogue One, zQGJ Jedi, Wiggs/Chaze).
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    5/22 bump -

Trends from the past few weeks are holding pretty steady, but there's some interesting movement within the trends...

Headlines & Hot Takes:
    - R2MFD2....this bullet header is a repeat from last week...but absolutely deserves to remain the same. I mentioned last week I expected R2, riding the Chaze craze, to eventually get to #6 most used and pass DM / EP / Savage / EP...but I didn't think it would be in just one week! Yes, R2 is now the SIXTH most used character for rank 1 usage. Let me list of few of the incredibly strong characters R2 has passed already: Dooku, Vader, Wedge, Boba, Sith Assassin, Savage Opress, Kylo, EP and.....yes yes...he's even passed Maul! R2's usage # is now up to 27% and there's plenty of upside - R2 should push in to that elite 40%+ usage bracket. Huge gamechanger handed out for free. Impressive!
    - The Gaping Chasm: There's a huge gap opening up from the top 5 most used characters. The 5th most used character, Chirrut, has 45% usage. The 6th drops all the way to 27% - which is R2. Now, R2 is tied to Chaze / GK, etc. and is definitely going up - so if you exclude R2 the next character is EP at 26%. EP and all the DS characters immediately below him are trending down - so this gap will only widen over time. Right now, with all the characters we have in the game, arena is honing in on a core 6 with everyone else getting pushed to the side: DN, Chaze, R2, GK, and Rex. It's interesting because while R2 has allowed more comps to get wins and be viable - increasing variety along with Rex by removing Maul - at the very upper elite portion of the game R2 has actually helped create this gap by making GK / Rex / Chaze / lightside that much stronger.
    - GK has actually made a sizable move in the last week - the unlocks / build rates obviously are still happening on this noble Jedi. There may be substantial upside for GK still - he was 51% usage last week and is now up to 56%, opening up some distance now from the #3 Rex. I figured GK was fairly universally owned / built for rank 1s at this point, but apparently that's not the case. He will push in to historically elite territory by getting over 60% if that happens.
    - Rex leader - this guy should be the first member in the Arena Hall of Fame right? Rex leader is now up to 46% usage - that's increased from 42% last week - so a very sizable move. Does Rex, even as old as he is ... still have ownership / usage upside? Are some still unlocking him in the rank 1 realm? Didn't expect him to keep pushing upward after Maul declined. Hard to argue that Rex's leader isn't the greatest arena leader created in the history of GoH. Doesn't even seem close.
    - Pure dark side teams look to be in lots of trouble. The gap that's opening up is coming at the expense of the better DS characters and DN is largely there just because of GK / Chaze and hide the Nihilis, which is really mainly possible through the LS spam taunters Baze & GK. Let's see exactly how Tarkin's kit plays out, but pure DS teams are on the ropes. Will they fall like Frazier or bounce off Rope-A-Dope Ali-style?

Arena Leaders:
    - zDM continues his hard slide, now down to 25% usage from 28% last week - still think this goes <10% at some point in the near future
    - Rex! As noted above - still gaining share! Nothing can stop the Rex train!
    - Wedge is still your #3 most used leader, but has stalled on the 8% number for the past week. He's fighting for best leader on the R2 / GK / Chaze squads with Jyn, GK, and DN among others, so maybe he parks around this 8% number for some time. QGJ, DN, and GK have all at least hit the 5% mark.

Rank 1 Squad Comp
    - 3x Cleanse + DN is still far and away the #1 overall comp at 305 counts / 75%...the counts are down from last week, but the % is up? :) I'm paying more attention to the relative counts and the change in counts vs. the percent as it seems to make little sense. So counts are actually down on this comp from last week, but it's still far out and ahead of #2 squad with just 80 counts
    - REX-led squads make up all of the top 3 builds
    - First Maul squad is 4th at 65 counts - that's down from 85 counts last week - a 24% drop in one week! Ouch.
    - R2 impact: 5 of the 10 most popular individual builds have R2 in the team - huge impact from R2

Character Usage
    - DN still far and away #1 used character at 75% - his support has held above 75% for months now
    - GK is actually trending up - didn't expect that - moving from 51 to 56% usage. There must be a material amount of folks that didn't have him built / unlocked - maybe this continues to go up? Not sure.
    - CHAZE - as expected, the dynamic duo continue to gain usage and are up to 46/45% compared to 44/43% last week. Very consistently they are gaining 2 percentage points in usage per week. This number has potential to go much higher, but is just restrained to the extent more players can readily farm / build the duo, but this usage rate I would expect to get over 50% easily with legit upside even after 50%.
    - Rex is 3rd highest usage at 48%
    - Your top 5 is DN / GK / Rex / Chaze
    - Your 6-10 are R2!!!!! (27%), EP (26%), Maul (26%), Kylo (25%), Savage (20%)
  • 6/3 bump -

Two weeks since last update - trends have continued as expected without much change, so I'll be a bit more brief

Headlines & Hot Takes:
    - R2D2....Still think R2's impact is pretty amazing - who knew R2 would be THAT good? Before hitting the game even seeing skills on paper, I thought a B+ kinda toon - but no question he's solid A character and truly elite. Arena and Raid viability combined - gamechanger for sure. Let's look at some of R2's impact: 6th most used character, up to 35% from 27% two weeks ago with upside to climb - is now in the 2nd most frequently used squad for #1 rank - also is used in 5 of the top 8 overall squads. His zeta uniques are better than most leader skills!
    - The Gaping Chasm: No change here. DN still holds #1 usage at 75% (unchanged from 2 weeks ago), GK now is at 60%! (up from 56%), Rex (up from 46%) and Baze (up from 46%) are now at 50% for the first time that I can recall and Chirrut rounds out the top 5 at 48% usage (up from 45%). Chaze continues to gain 2 percentage points per week roughly. As noted above, R2 is at 35% and gaining usage share fast. There's no reason to think that these trends and the core 6 will see any meaningful reduction in usage anytime soon. Ahsoka may nibble some usage away from DN, but her own rate won't be high enough to register anything noticeable. After this core 6, the next highest usage character is Kylo at 24%.
    - Rex leader - Still the champ - up to 48% usage from 46% two weeks ago - he's still climbing

Arena Leaders:
    - zDM is now down to 23% usage from 25% two weeks ago
    - Rex! As noted above - still gaining share! Nothing can stop the Rex train!
    - Wedge is still your #3 most used leader and is up to 12% - very impressive for an older toon - your top 3 leaders are all pretty darned old heroes - Jinn (7%), GK (6%), DN and DV (5%) are all over the 5% usage mark for leaders.

Rank 1 Squad Comp
    - 3x Cleanse + DN is still far and away the #1 overall comp at 283 counts. That's down from 305 counts two weeks ago however. This squad's counts have been slowly trending downward, but it is still holds a >4 fold advantage over the #2 squad of Rex / Chaze / DN / R2 at 68 counts
    - REX-led squads make up all of the top 3 builds
    - First Maul squad is 4th at 50 counts - that's down from 65 counts two weeks ago

Character Usage
    - DN still far and away #1 used character at 75% - his support has held above 75% for months now
    - GK is still trending up - moving from 56% to 60% usage. He's hit the magical 60% usage mark!
    - CHAZE - as expected, the dynamic duo continue to gain usage and are up to 50/48% compared to 46/45% last week. Very consistently they are gaining 2 percentage points in usage per week.
    - Rex is 3rd highest usage at 50%, tied with Baze who is also at 50%
    - Your 6-10 are R2 (35%), Kylo (24%), EP (24%), Maul (23%), Savage (19%)
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    You failed to mention that Grand Moff Tarkin is up to 1% useage in number 1 squads at 21 hits!

Honestly, what kind of reporting is this?! ;)
  • So basically DS teams are about a third and continue falling. Yeah, it makes a lot of sense the need to release R2 and FATz.
  • You failed to mention that Grand Moff Tarkin is up to 1% useage in number 1 squads at 21 hits!

Honestly, what kind of reporting is this?! ;)

I'll do better next time! :)
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    June 11 Bump...

My plan is to bump this every 2 weeks and then down the road as we sink deep in this meta maybe just once per month...but hit some big milestones on the meta report today that I thought were worth memorializing.

- Rex lead is now at 50% usage! Has any lead ever hit 50%? I don't recall Maul making it there - he was in the mid to high 40s at his peak I believe (someone can correct me here though) - that's up from 48% usage last week...there's no stopping the Rex train!
    - Maul's leader usage is now sub-20% and sits at 19%...
    - ....with Wedge!!! gaining fast at 15%! How's that for a meta shakeup from R2? So good he brought back Wedge as a lead and made Biggs viable again. Wedge is the 3rd most used lead now. Looks like it's inevitable that Wedge passes Maul in the next few weeks. Maul's usage likely is headed in the <10% range
    - The Great Chasm of 2017 is in full swing with no signs of slowing...DN character usage is at 75%, GK is at 63%, Baze is 53%, Rex / Chirrut at 51%...and R2 has finally cracked 40% as expected and sits at 41%...the next highest usage character is Kylo at just 23%, then EP and DM at 20% each and sinking weekly

Now, unless Thrawn is really nasty The Great Chasm is only going to widen. We need to know more on his kit, but assuming Thrawn is good but not a gamechanger in arena like DN / Chaze / GK / Rex / R2 (so Tarkin-level arena), I think by the middle of July you'll likely see DN and GK both in the 70%+ usage range, Chaze will be 60%+, and R2 will be 50%+ ... Rex will hover in the 50% range and all except a handful of the rest of the roster will check in below 20% usage ... and nothing will slow this build's usage rate down unless a specific counter is released to address it. Drop in a jedi / rebel Luke in Aug with a great Jedi / LS / Rebel leader skill and you'll almost assuredly be looking at a locked-in meta of Luke/Chaze/R2/GK for 4-6 months after Luke's release. Quite possible we don't see any meaningful meta shift for another 6+ months until TLJ is released. Will be interesting to watch the numbers as always :)
  • That seems strange since posters were countinously claiming that the meta is perpetually shifting. Well for almost a year the meta hasn't shifted, rebel is still the word.
  • Sad
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Does anyone keep an eye on the historical usage of a single team on the gg website or have access to historical data? Just curious if the current Rex 3x cleanse + DN squad is getting close at 35% of all #1 squads. Not asking about leaders by the way - I see Maul is still at 42% and ahead of Rex at 32% - but a single specific configuration of the exact same 5 characters used under the exact same leader.

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/

It's been interesting to watch this squad climb up from 12% usage a few weeks ago to now representing over 1/3 of all #1 teams on the site. That's pretty high.

EDIT: This is not intended to be a nerf DM / who's really meta regurgitated thread. Just curious where things currently lie in relation to the history of the game for perspective.
    That seems strange since posters were countinously claiming that the meta is perpetually shifting. Well for almost a year the meta hasn't shifted, rebel is still the word.

But but maul was sooooooo bad
  • I've definitely noticed the resurrection of Wiggs in my shard (Nov-16) - often thanks to Chaze or R2.

The rebels are back - during an Empire faction pass. What a joke
  • Sorry if this has been asked already... there's too much on this thread to sift through.

How do the % in swgoh.gg work? How come the percentages don't add up to 100%? It says 86% of rank 1 squads is Rex GK DN Chaze, and 24% is Rex R2 DN Chaze!?
  • NicolBolas wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already... there's too much on this thread to sift through.

How do the % in swgoh.gg work? How come the percentages don't add up to 100%? It says 86% of rank 1 squads is Rex GK DN Chaze, and 24% is Rex R2 DN Chaze!?

Not sure how the squad rank %s work, they don't add up - just pay attention to the counts and compare the counts across various squads.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    NicolBolas wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already... there's too much on this thread to sift through.

I think it's because there are many different rank 1 squads per shard.
  • I've definitely noticed the resurrection of Wiggs in my shard (Nov-16) - often thanks to Chaze or R2.

Back would imply they left. They didn't.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    I've definitely noticed the resurrection of Wiggs in my shard (Nov-16) - often thanks to Chaze or R2.

+1000000

I'm so sick of people that wanted to complain about maul but are all of a sudden ok with the continued domination of the same toons that have been meta forever
  • xReDeMpx wrote: »
    I've definitely noticed the resurrection of Wiggs in my shard (Nov-16) - often thanks to Chaze or R2.

+1000000

I'm so sick of people that wanted to complain about maul but are all of a sudden ok with the continued domination of the same toons that have been meta forever

Well this is the good kind of lack of diversity.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    xReDeMpx wrote: »

+1000000

Well this is the good kind of lack of diversity.

That kind of diversity that makes it ok cause it benefits them ;)

+1000000

If I had to guess why the Maul meta was hated so much more ... evasion. People hate that as a skill - I have to admit I do as well. Losing cause you miss something 5 times in a row is frustrating...but you're point is valid. We are approaching Threat Level Midnight for lack of diversity and aside from nerf Chaze posts here and there, it doesn't seem to be as big of a concern as when Maul was heavy at the top of leaderboards. Rex is also probably part of the reason - he's the anti-mod / anti-whale solution, so the masses that don't spend tremendous amounts of cash to have +110 speed mods on all 5 arena toons love Rex due to his anti-speed kit and aren't going to try to fight against their meal ticket. This is a very safe and conformist meta.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member

+1000000

If I had to guess why the Maul meta was hated so much more ... evasion. People hate that as a skill - I have to admit I do as well. Losing cause you miss something 5 times in a row is frustrating...but you're point is valid. We are approaching Threat Level Midnight for lack of diversity and aside from nerf Chaze posts here and there, it doesn't seem to be as big of a concern as when Maul was heavy at the top of leaderboards. Rex is also probably part of the reason - he's the anti-mod / anti-whale solution, so the masses that don't spend tremendous amounts of cash to have +110 speed mods on all 5 arena toons love Rex due to his anti-speed kit and aren't going to try to fight against their meal ticket. This is a very safe and conformist meta.

Ohhh and I agree evasion is a pain and just pure frustrating at times, but no one should have merit to complain about maul meta but are totally fine with the same darn toons running the meta like they have since release months and months and months ago

+1000000

Which I personally have an issue with. It's nullifying a lot of things -- Chaze and Rex, the only trio in the game that don't need good mods or the best gear or even level cap (check the thread I posted) to compete with decked out, well-modded teams. Nute was gutted for similar reasons and yet we see the problem arising from these three. Mainly two; Chaze, the only duo I know that is capable of surpassing hard limits and still coming out on top.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

+1000000

Ohhh and I agree evasion is a pain and just pure frustrating at times, but no one should have merit to complain about maul meta but are totally fine with the same darn toons running the meta like they have since release months and months and months ago

man, if no one was allowed to be a bit hypocritical, then the forum would be empty.
    Save water, drink champagne!

+1000000

+1000000

Which I personally have an issue with. It's nullifying a lot of things -- Chaze and Rex, the only trio in the game that don't need good mods or the best gear or even level cap (check the thread I posted) to compete with decked out, well-modded teams. Nute was gutted for similar reasons and yet we see the problem arising from these three. Mainly two; Chaze, the only duo I know that is capable of surpassing hard limits and still coming out on top.

Just wait till they get zetas :)
  • Will thrawn be the first 100% toon?
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Will thrawn be the first 100% toon?

Not requiring Phoenix, he won't.
  • 5* thawn. Max speed fracture other thrawn. Game over.

Poe meta all over again
  • July 22 bump (last update was 6/11 - so about 6 weeks). As noted before, I'll update this every 30-60 days for a living record of the game's meta. So what's changed in 6 weeks? Not much at a high level, but Thrawn has help shuffle the deck a bit.

Leads:
    - Rex was 50% usage lead on 6/11, he's at 49% today. There's no stopping Rex 1 year + in to the game.
    - Maul is next at 13% (down from 19%), followed by Wedge (12%), Jinn (11%), and Thrawn (9%)

Character Usage:
    - DN is still most used at 78% - which is actually up from 75%
    - GK is now at 70%!!! That's also up from before when he stood at 63%... people still unlocking / building GK
    - Rex is 3rd at 50% - down a tad from 51% 6 weeks ago
    - R2D2 - 4th at 46% ... very impressive
    - Baze - 5th at 46%
    - Of note - the 6th most used is Chirrut (40% down from 51%) - one half of the Chaze duo is lagging behind a bit, due greatly to the 7th highest usage toon...Grand Admiral Thrawn (not available before, at 39% currently)

Teams:
    - Your #1 most used comp is....still the classic cleanse team (Rex, Chaze, GK, DN) and it's not very close as its 169 counts are more than double the next highest team which is...
    - Rex, GK, R2, GAT, and DN at 82 counts.
    - Overall, your top 3 individual team leads are all Rex, followed by a Wedge comp, 2 QGJ teams, another Rex, a GK comp, GAT with a dark side-based hide the Nihilius with GK strategy, and Maul rounding out the top 10.

Big Winners:
    - QGJ - Jedi teams are strong, can take #1 against all sorts of teams, and are among the game's better arena teams due to their reliability to win and versatility. R2 + more GK unlocks has resulted in Jedi comps popping up at a pretty good rate
    - R2! Solidly in the top 5 - 4th ranked toon and closing in on that rare 50% usage mark - helping to set the 2nd most used individual team comp WITHOUT Chaze ... R2 is truly elite.
    - G.A. Thrawn - obviously he wasn't in the last update, but clearly another huge release. Close to passing Chirrut in usage overall, key part of the 2nd most used team, and even has a top 5 leader usage. Breaker of all raids. Thrawn is a beast. (He's my lead, double zeta'd and couldn't be happier)

Big Losers:
    - Chirrut - his usage dropped pretty far from 51% to 40% and now out of the top 5 with Thrawn breathing down his neck ....he's nowhere near "done" in the way that Maul is, but it's clear that GAT has stolen, at least for now, some of the thunder from Chaze
    - Maul - his slide continues and lead usage dropped from 19% to 13% - after being well represented in top 10 individual team comps, there's just 1 Maul squad in the top 10 and it has just 25 counts

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has some losers / winners over that time period.
  • Waez
    286 posts Member
    I can't help but thinking about the balance team that's currently monitoring Arena.

They are literally witnessing teams made up of totally unrelated characters that should NOT have synergy together wreck everything, while most actual synergy-oriented factions (FO, Imperial Troopers, Clones, Ewoks, Resistance, Bounty Hunter, Jawas, Nightsisters, Phoenix) are burning in the depths of the sub-rank 200 hell.

And they are sitting there, sipping tea, repeating "This is fine." to themselves.
  • theHejiN
    659 posts Member
    Thanks for the report.

Where is Ezra? How many QGJ teams are using him?
    Also, how many counts does HK47 have?
    What about Tarkin? Rise of shoretrooper?
  • theHejiN wrote: »
    Thanks for the report.

Where is Ezra? How many QGJ teams are using him?
    Also, how many counts does HK47 have?
    What about Tarkin? Rise of shoretrooper?

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/

Here's the source from the data - for the Jedi teams you can see that the 3 staples are Jinn lead, GK, and R2 - then Yoda / Ezra / JKA can be used in the other 2 spots.

Tarkin's lead is great, but still very underutilized at just 3% - I think the Empire teams are maybe too hard to build and farm and since Rex teams still work you may not see any real Empire surge. People are just lazily sticking Thrawn in the same Rex teams.

HK's lead is hardly used at all - 4 counts - rounds down to 0% usage.