GG META Report Update - Highest Single Team Usage % on gg Ever?

Replies

• 7/30 unplanned mini bump - two notable benchmarks crossed on the report today -

1. Rex lead actually crossed 50% today and is at 51% leader usage - hadn't seen a lead go past 50% usage since I've been tracking. Expect this to creep up a bit as the Rex / GK / R2 / DN / FOST / DN team variants are just picking up steam across the general player base. The R2 version of this squad may even pass the Classic cleanse squad and is at 148 counts vs. 131.
    2. DN usage hit 80% - again, haven't seen someone hit 80% usage. GK is hot on his heels at 72%.

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/

Yeesh.

I wish I had something useful to add to the conversation but that's all I've got.

Dancing around GK and Nihilus gets so boring.
  • Davius7
    308 posts Member
    I hope the devs are watching this thread. Metas come and metas go, but Rex and Nihilus are dominant in a way that we've never seen before, with GK close on their heels. Their kits are versatile and powerful. Too versatile, really. Others have said it, but I agree that Rex's leadership should be clone-only (or at least lightside only) and that DN should have a timer penalty for teaming with lightside characters.
  • This unending meta is not going to go away unless the devs release a character that is so blatantly meant as a counter to this (passive that gives 1000% damage to GK, Rex, and DN) that it's hilarious, or JUST NERF THEM. This is so clearly an example of characters that are TOO GOOD. When something is too good, you don't just put your hands over your ears and sing 'la la la' until it goes away, because it wont! You have to nerf it, even if it means you lose a few whales.
  • Waez wrote: »
    I can't help but thinking about the balance team that's currently monitoring Arena.

They are literally witnessing teams made up of totally unrelated characters that should NOT have synergy together wreck everything, while most actual synergy-oriented factions (FO, Imperial Troopers, Clones, Ewoks, Resistance, Bounty Hunter, Jawas, Nightsisters, Phoenix) are burning in the depths of the sub-rank 200 hell.

And they are sitting there, sipping tea, repeating "This is fine." to themselves.

They want to fix it, but the only way they know how is to introduce more absurdly overpowered characters to counter the current ones. But then the new characters just get thrown into teams with all the old overpowered characters, and all that happens is one slot in the Triple-cleanse is replaced.

If they wanted to fix it they could easily do it. Simply introduce characters with mechanics that counteract the meta, but aren't overpowered in the a sense of those characters.

The example I like to use is introducing a character that gains TM when opponents gain TM. Picture a B2 that instead of having a chance to gain100% TM when an ally is damage, he gains it when an opponent gains TM. And instead of buff immunity on his AOE he inflicts Daze. That character could absolutely destroy a Rex lead. Or an empire team (lots of TM gain with Thrawn and ST). TM gain is a huge part of the meta, as there is little counter currently. But he would be pathetic against teams that don't use TM gain. Jedi for example. So putting him it can help you beat a specific team. But leaving him on defense could be a liability.

Problem is that they would release that character and they would just take someone else's spot in the triple cleanse set up.

That example was meant to counter TM gain. You can create counters to cleanse or tenacity up as well. I've thrown out a Bounty Hunter rework example to combat triple cleanse teams in the past. Create a new BH with a unique that reapplied TDs if they are cleansed + grants addition buffs, TM gain, or cooldown reduction to BH. Essentially make it so cleansing TDs is a bad idea.

Bottom line: if the devs wanted diversity in the arena they could easily create it. A counter can be created for anything without intoriding a new OP character. But they don't want counters. They want a meta, because a meta makes people scramble to buy into it.
    I can't help but thinking about the balance team that's currently monitoring Arena.

They are literally witnessing teams made up of totally unrelated characters that should NOT have synergy together wreck everything, while most actual synergy-oriented factions (FO, Imperial Troopers, Clones, Ewoks, Resistance, Bounty Hunter, Jawas, Nightsisters, Phoenix) are burning in the depths of the sub-rank 200 hell.

And they are sitting there, sipping tea, repeating "This is fine." to themselves.

They want to fix it, but the only way they know how is to introduce more absurdly overpowered characters to counter the current ones. But then the new characters just get thrown into teams with all the old overpowered characters, and all that happens is one slot in the Triple-cleanse is replaced.

If they wanted to fix it they could easily do it. Simply introduce characters with mechanics that counteract the meta, but aren't overpowered in the a sense of those characters.

The example I like to use is introducing a character that gains TM when opponents gain TM. Picture a B2 that instead of having a chance to gain100% TM when an ally is damage, he gains it when an opponent gains TM. And instead of buff immunity on his AOE he inflicts Daze. That character could absolutely destroy a Rex lead. Or an empire team (lots of TM gain with Thrawn and ST). TM gain is a huge part of the meta, as there is little counter currently. But he would be pathetic against teams that don't use TM gain. Jedi for example. So putting him it can help you beat a specific team. But leaving him on defense could be a liability.

Problem is that they would release that character and they would just take someone else's spot in the triple cleanse set up.

That example was meant to counter TM gain. You can create counters to cleanse or tenacity up as well. I've thrown out a Bounty Hunter rework example to combat triple cleanse teams in the past. Create a new BH with a unique that reapplied TDs if they are cleansed + grants addition buffs, TM gain, or cooldown reduction to BH. Essentially make it so cleansing TDs is a bad idea.

Bottom line: if the devs wanted diversity in the arena they could easily create it. A counter can be created for anything without intoriding a new OP character. But they don't want counters. They want a meta, because a meta makes people scramble to buy into it.

I disagree.

There isn't a meta at the moment. Any number of at least 20 different toons compete for #1 in arena. Sith, empire, Jedi, and Rex led mixed squads or many combinations of them. Any of them can win, and none can hold on 'D'.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • +1... this is the most wide ranging character comps I've seen to date... Rex is solid, but not a lot of people using him in my top 20 anymore... his # is a result of more people finally getting him to 7* especially on newer shards... he's good but not OP... DN is a great toon and hard not to use once g11 because he is one of a few toons viable at any * level... so no surprise on that. If I asked for any change from the devs it would be to go back to making any toon below 7* not good enough to put in on arena squad.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    @ImYourHuckleberry can you disagree that dn is disproportionately eating up arena squad space? Irrespective whether or not there is a de facto meta team, dn and Rex eat up 2 slots in too many teams. No one is arguing that they can be beat, the argument is they are are too good and they make decision making much less personal.

I have played many, many games where real money is impacted by adjustments or "nerfing" as we gamers call it. DN is a toon that definitely is on the nerf-potential side of the conversation. Dn is where I'd start with adjustments and then we can reinvestigate Rex after we tune down dn.
  • Nebulous wrote: »
    @ImYourHuckleberry can you disagree that dn is disproportionately eating up arena squad space? Irrespective whether or not there is a de facto meta team, dn and Rex eat up 2 slots in too many teams. No one is arguing that they can be beat, the argument is they are are too good and they make decision making much less personal.

I have played many, many games where real money is impacted by adjustments or "nerfing" as we gamers call it. DN is a toon that definitely is on the nerf-potential side of the conversation. Dn is where I'd start with adjustments and then we can reinvestigate Rex after we tune down dn.

@Nebulous hey there again.

The swgoh.gg meta report is more a "trend" report, than a "meta" report. So what if gamers copy each other. But I do find the trends interesting.
  • Well, everyone said Chaze will be meta forever. Now there are a lot of squads who are not using them. With new strong toons and rework of older toons, there will be a time when Rex, DN and GK aren't the best option anymore.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Nebulous wrote: »

The swgoh.gg meta report is more a "trend" report, than a "meta" report. So what if gamers copy each other. But I do find the trends interesting.

@ImYourHuckleberry hello good sir.

I understand swgoh.gg's archival merits. I know it tracks tends. And dn is trending up in squad usage.

My sole questions was, can it be argued against that dn is used in too many team? No matter the leader, DN can be splashed in. It's not a case of players coping one another, which does happen, it's a case of no other hero being an upgrade to him. I cringe to think about the powercreep required to displace dn.

Trending trackers are an amazing tool to shed light on what works and what doesn't work. To me, a beacon is shinning brightly on dn. Dn works too good in arena.

The best way to create diversity is to rework/buff the 90 other characters who are okay against each other but are terrible against the Kenobi/chaze/R2/Thrawns. Releasing kenobi and chaze was probably the worst thing the devs. They created a whole new level of power creep and almost a year later we're still lagging pretty far behind
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

I understand swgoh.gg's archival merits. I know it tracks tends. And dn is trending up in squad usage.

My sole questions was, can it be argued against that dn is used in too many team? No matter the leader, DN can be splashed in. It's not a case of players coping one another, which does happen, it's a case of no other hero being an upgrade to him. I cringe to think about the powercreep required to displace dn.

Trending trackers are an amazing tool to shed light on what works and what doesn't work. To me, a beacon is shinning brightly on dn. Dn works too good in arena.

i hope that he'll be replaced by synergy, not just a straight up better character, but a better character under the right conditions. I'm not seeying many nihilus's in Jedi teams for example. None of the characters used on jedi teams is actually better than nihilus, but they do perform better than nihilus in a jedi team.
    i was hoping it would be the same for empire teams, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nebulous wrote: »

@Nebulous

I like nihilus cause his annihilate is fun. But I have successfully performed well in arena using variations of thrawn(L), dk, DT, Tarkin, ShT all without nihilus. I've also had success with Jedi. Those are just 2 to name a few. People use nihilus cause he is fun and gamers copy each other; so. Doesn't mean he's the best. At this point of the game, there are easily 20 top toons that can play on an elite arena, and by far the biggest problem is the completely abysmal ai.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

i hope that he'll be replaced by synergy, not just a straight up better character, but a better character under the right conditions. I'm not seeying many nihilus's in Jedi teams for example. None of the characters used on jedi teams is actually better than nihilus, but they do perform better than nihilus in a jedi team.
    i was hoping it would be the same for empire teams, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I have seen dn used in a single Jedi squad. This was when thrawn wasn't messed up. Shore is hard to kill. But overall, dn is not an upgrade in Jedi but he doesn't ruin the team offensively, either.

I've also said if we exclude Jedi squads, how high would that 80% dn included figure jump?

Jedi are an arena competitive synergy team and I love them for that. Sith are decent but r2 helped show them the door.

So for competitive arena leaders, we have: dn, Vader, maul, Rex, gk, thrawn, tarkin, and qgj. Dn can splash into almost every top team and be an upgrade. Jedi are excluded as I'm not sure if he is a sidegrade or downgrade in that squad.

I wouldn't mind at all if synergy pushed dn out of most teams, so long as the synergy doesn't become the virus itself.
  • Sorry @JohnnySteelAlpha... I'll exit your thread to keep it on topic as the barometer of the meta, and I'll open another thread for those looking for intellectual stimulus.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member

@Nebulous

I like nihilus cause his annihilate is fun. But I have successfully performed well in arena using variations of thrawn(L), dk, DT, Tarkin, ShT all without nihilus. I've also had success with Jedi. Those are just 2 to name a few. People use nihilus cause he is fun and gamers copy each other; so. Doesn't mean he's the best. At this point of the game, there are easily 20 top toons that can play on an elite arena, and by far the biggest problem is the completely abysmal ai.

Outside Jedi, which I have already stated would inflate the 80% dn usage if they were excluded as outlier, and dn would be an upgrade in that Empire squad. I run empire also and I know that dt and dn are a great combination-dn will play better than dk on offense and defense. This doesn't mean you still can't win, with others. But I know, that you know, dk doesn't hold as well on defense as dn does.

I feel Annihilate is boring--not fun. Dn plays really well on ai since his kit is rather easy to use. His annihilate targeting may not be perfect, but it's still useful.

• Waez
    286 posts Member

@Nebulous

Outside Jedi, which I have already stated would inflate the 80% dn usage if they were excluded as outlier, and dn would be an upgrade in that Empire squad. I run empire also and I know that dt and dn are a great combination-dn will play better than dk on offense and defense. This doesn't mean you still can't win, with others. But I know, that you know, dk doesn't hold as well on defense as dn does.

I feel Annihilate is boring--not fun. Dn plays really well on ai since his kit is rather easy to use. His annihilate targeting may not be perfect, but it's still useful.

This.
    Nihilus is not only, powerful, he's also plug and play, and his AI can't possibly go wrong.

The power creep got so intense in the game that we now need a literal 1-hit-ko move to deal with enemies.

All this to avoid nerfing characters, even though it's entirely possible to nerf them while keeping their strengths while making room for other characters.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Waez wrote: »

@Nebulous

This.
    Nihilus is not only, powerful, he's also plug and play, and his AI can't possibly go wrong.

The power creep got so intense in the game that we now need a literal 1-hit-ko move to deal with enemies.

All this to avoid nerfing characters, even though it's entirely possible to nerf them while keeping their strengths while making room for other characters.

And to think now they have to come up with a more powerful toon than thrawn lol
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Probably have to come up with more cannot evade/resist characters which would make it at least as powerful as GAT then.
    I'm dreading the other side of the coin though, if they eventually have to design a souped up version of FAT's Unique Ability into some kind of complete Debuff Immunity.
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Probably have to come up with more cannot evade/resist characters which would make it at least as powerful as GAT then.
    I'm dreading the other side of the coin though, if they eventually have to design a souped up version of FAT's Unique Ability into some kind of complete Debuff Immunity.

It's already complete Debuff Immunity for FAT. At least I never managed to debuff her:)
  • 8/2/17 unplanned bump -

Rex / GK / R2 / DN / GAT squad just passed 3x classic cleans squad of Rex / GK / Chaze / DN - huge as that had been #1 most used squad for months. 173 counts to 132. Thrawn and R2 replaced Chaze!
  • Move over Rex lead triple cleanse! there's a new Sherrif in town...

erm, another Rex lead team.

• Move over Rex lead triple cleanse! there's a new Sherrif in town...

erm, another Rex lead team.

And this team has 4 cleansers, even if only 2 have aoe cleanse.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    The combination of Thrawn and Nihilus has finally pushed Chaze out of the meta.
  • Thx for the responses and good discussion. I'll bump this ever so often as this changes - I'm curious now to see how far this one specific config rises. Went from 35% to 39% already since I made the thread just 2 days ago :). Rex also now has closed the leader gap to under single digits....42% to 33%.

I just find this arena meta to be fairly interesting as I don't recall such a specific head to head bilateral leader situation. There's not even a clear leader on what is the 3rd best as the remaining 25% is split pretty well (though I actually would say zJinn and DN are capable of building elite teams).

It's not popular, and not bulletproof on defense, but I take #1 on a pretty competitive shard with zJyn. But I think she will be quickly replaced by Commander Luke lead when he comes out for rebel teams.
  • 8/14 Mini-bump -

- Huge change - DN has been passed by GK for most used in the game 73% for GK and 71% now for DN ... the CLS impact that has pushed more damage up earlier in matches has made the slower winding up DN a lesser option in newer comps. Han + CLS also permit targeted sniping of DN, thus limiting the effectiveness of the long-used Hide the Nihilius tactic as a D slot
    - R2D2 - along with GK - the new backbone of the game and the CLS squads in particular - is pushing toward elite Hall of Fame levels of usage now at 62% ... at least since I started tracking this in April no other toons beside GK and DN had crossed 60% usage and very few had crossed 50% (Rex and Chaze did as well) - my guess is this number continues to push up a bit and R2 approaches the 70% mark and eventually passes DN in usage
    - GAT at 52% and Rex at 48% round out the top 5 most used characters
    - Rex is still most used lead at 47%, but CLS is coming on very strong at 23% already - real possibility that he pushes Rex for the #1 most used lead in the near future. Rex isn't dead, but CLS led-teams can really present Rex squads with problems.
  • Good to hear there is some movement!
    I honestly never though DN and Rex would never budge...

My Empire squad doesn't seem to be having any trouble with CLS at the moment.

I'm sure that will chance one ROLO starts hitting then arena!
  • Every squad worth it's salt needs to have gk and nihilus.
  • Every squad worth it's salt needs to have gk and nihilus.

Pshaww! I don't use either and I do just fine :p
  • ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Whatever movement there is right now is going to settle soon with most teams having CLS (L) + zHan Solo + zR2D2 + 2 as nucleus.