Rogue One has thrown a wrench in my plans.

Kevern_Zaksor
894 posts Member
edited April 2017
As I've grown older I've always been grateful for the fact that I saw the original trilogy in theaters in the 90's before the prequels ever came out. By the time I had seen all the prequels I was firmly set on showing my future children the OT before the PT, if only to preserve one of the greatest reveals in film history ("No. I am your father."). I'm still planning to not show them the PT until they specifically ask to watch them because.... Well, you know.

But now I've seen Rogue One and think it's such a great segue into ANH that I'm wondering if I should show my kids it first. I do worry that all the high-tech CG and flashy explosions will make them lose interest in the slower-paced OT. Thoughts? (Oh, and let's please not turn this into a Rogue-One-is-terrible-what-are-you-thinking bash fest, although maybe that's inevitable.)
The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
-Sun Tzu

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Rogue one ain't exactly kid friendly. Show them in the order they were released. Thats the order in which the story has been told.
  • Good point, which raises another concern: if I wait too long, they're going to discover that Vader is Luke's father and have the whole reveal ruined. It's part of our culture. I mean, I found out who Tyler Durden was in Fight Club before I ever saw the movie and that kind of ruined it for me.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Oh, and ANH ain't kid friendly either- one of the main heroes shoots an innocent bounty hunter in cold blood!
    </s>
    -Sun Tzu
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Good point, which raises another concern: if I wait too long, they're going to discover that Vader is Luke's father and have the whole reveal ruined. It's part of our culture. I mean, I found out who Tyler Durden was in Fight Club before I ever saw the movie and that kind of ruined it for me.

True dat. On the flip side of you watch em from ep1-6 there's an alternate twist. This nice little boy you first see grows up and becomes the villain. Also this supposedly nice chancellor guy becomes the ultimate puppet master lol.
  • Oh god, now my mind is blown!

Oh Mullato did you change your avatar?
    -Sun Tzu
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Haha, it was time for a change.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    The prequels are confusing and boring, especially a kid. They won't understand the politics of the war or palpatines rise to power. Sure, they might be entertained by the bright flashing lights, but thats not what star wars is (or should be) about.

Kids connect to the OT like no other movies. The characters and story are fun, simple, and engaging. The prequels lack this.

Ultimately its up to you, but i strongly advise showing them the movies the way you saw them. Your kids dont care about the "right" way to see Star Wars, only what engages and interests them.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    The prequels are confusing and boring, especially a kid. They won't understand the politics of the war or palpatines rise to power. Sure, they might be entertained by the bright flashing lights, but thats not what star wars is (or should be) about.

Kids connect to the OT like no other movies. The characters and story are fun, simple, and engaging. The prequels lack this.

Ultimately its up to you, but i strongly advise showing them the movies the way you saw them. Your kids dont care about the "right" way to see Star Wars, only what engages and interests them.

I dont think there's much to understand as a kid tbh...Funny guy jar jar travels on an adventure with 2 strong Jedi. They get stuck on a planet. Cool podrace, boy goes with them to train to be a Jedi. Big battle happens on another planet. The 2 Jedi go to the planet to help. They fight the villain, the end.

Yeah, there's politics talk, but alot of the beginning of ANH was boring too.

Basically what im saying is, what you like is purely opinion-based. I'd let them watch it however they want.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Whatever you decide, MTFBWY. I had my own moment when my now 8 year old Padawan to be asked.."What's a Jedi?". I answered, "A long time ago...". And yes she plays SWGOH. I have multiple accts and gave her the newest, smallest acct.

That said, Rogue one gives away too much, better to let them see EP 4, 5, 6. Then ask them if they would like to see the story of Luke and Leia's Father..
  • SlabRankle
    285 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    How is anymore or less kid friendly than any star wars? Phoenix Squad has a huge body count. Those blasters ain't set to stun....
  • show them in order from 1, 2, 3, r1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...
    it will be most enjoyable and they will enjoy the experience of the plot twists without knowing what happens next, let them be shocked at what anakin becomes, or be surprised to know who darth sidious is, (something i never had). if they dont enjoy OT then so be it. don't force them to like a movie for reasons they dont care about. when they grow older they will learn to appreciate the OT.
  • SirLotsaLocks
    91 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    and the younger they are the less they will notice that anakin is the father of luke and leia. I didn't notice fr forever. until I saw vaders scene of course
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Oh, and ANH ain't kid friendly either- one of the main heroes shoots an innocent bounty hunter in cold blood!
    </s>

Just show him the remakes instead
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Have fun and you what you want, it's cool either way. I've seen people do it both ways.... It's funny to see people freak out when the cute kid turns to Vader or when people find out Vader is the father.

Episode 1,2 clone wars, episode3 rebels r1 anh esb rotj tfa tLj
    Is newest timeline
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    I hate to necro this thread, but show your kids in episode order 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Ep 1 is completely optional. Not sure where R1 and TFA will fit into this, but I'd imagine release order would be fine.

This viewing order maintains the Vader/Luke reveal, proves Vader to not be lying, separates the Luke/Leia thing by 2 movies, doesn't highlight the 10 year age difference between Anakin and Padme (since now they appear to be approximately the same age), makes the story of Vader feel more tragic and his redemption more triumphant, and just plain flows better.

Just Google "star wars machete order" others have said it better than me.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    As I've grown older I've always been grateful for the fact that I saw the original trilogy in theaters in the 90's before the prequels ever came out. By the time I had seen all the prequels I was firmly set on showing my future children the OT before the PT, if only to preserve one of the greatest reveals in film history ("No. I am your father."). I'm still planning to not show them the PT until they specifically ask to watch them because.... Well, you know.

But now I've seen Rogue One and think it's such a great segue into ANH that I'm wondering if I should show my kids it first. I do worry that all the high-tech CG and flashy explosions will make them lose interest in the slower-paced OT. Thoughts? (Oh, and let's please not turn this into a Rogue-One-is-terrible-what-are-you-thinking bash fest, although maybe that's inevitable.)

I hear you and your right.

The thing I have noticed is that we (older generation star wars fans) grew up with the OT and base everything off that and love them. However, although re-worked, they are older films - in my opinion still the best.

But, with newer generation/younger people they tend to be bored by the build up of a new hope etc. They want to see lightsabers, colour, action etc etc. So many of the younger generation (without ever seeing star wars before) tend to enjoy the PT more - its a mystery to me for sure, but that's what I have found. Other younger star wars fans grew up with the PT rather than the OT, which was more of an after thought to them.

Personally I don't get it.

But for introducing new people to star wars (depending on their personality - patience and level of focus/attention) its better to play them through in chronological order. That way they can become attached to Anakin as their hero and see him fall and become redeemed. They get to see the story unfold of all the major characters.

But you are right, the reveal is lost, such as little hermit Yoda being the great jedi master, and of course, as you say...Vader's reveal to Luke.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Klocko wrote: »
    I hate to necro this thread, but show your kids in episode order 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Ep 1 is completely optional. Not sure where R1 and TFA will fit into this, but I'd imagine release order would be fine.

Never seen this order of watching them before and makes total sense - Love it!!!

Makes me wanna watch them all over again in this order (save and except EP1 - which was all so terrible)
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

The thing I have noticed is that we (older generation star wars fans) grew up with the OT and base everything off that and love them. However, although re-worked, they are older films - in my opinion still the best.

But, with newer generation/younger people they tend to be bored by the build up of a new hope etc. They want to see lightsabers, colour, action etc etc. So many of the younger generation (without ever seeing star wars before) tend to enjoy the PT more - its a mystery to me for sure, but that's what I have found. Other younger star wars fans grew up with the PT rather than the OT, which was more of an after thought to them.

But for introducing new people to star wars (depending on their personality - patience and level of focus/attention) its better to play them through in chronological order. That way they can become attached to Anakin as their hero and see him fall and become redeemed. They get to see the story unfold of all the major characters.

But you are right, the reveal is lost, such as little hermit Yoda being the great jedi master, and of course, as you say...Vader's reveal to Luke.

I dont think you're giving kids enough credit. Sure, many are only looking for visual stimulation, but most kids still recognize the passion and "realness" behind the original movies. The PT might make some kids ooh and ahh because of the flashy cartoons, but they're bored for the other half the movie. A New Hope engages kids the whole time.
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    The only issue I can think of if you watch Rogue One first is that Rogue One established Jyn Erso as the main character. So when your kids move on to ANH hope, and there are all completely new characters, it will be a little confusing.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Honestly? Just show them all the movies in release order. Don't overthink it :p

Most of the emotional impact of Rogue One comes from the fact that we, as viewers, are already familiar with the somewhat sanitized Star Wars universe--The Battle of Endor was, like, a dozen guys in camoflage and some teddy bears, only one of which (Nanta!) gets killed. So seeing a massive battle like Scariff and seeing characters we've grown fond of get killed is really moving. I don't think it'd have the same impact if that was your first introduction.

Also, just my two cents here, but whatever order you show them the movies in, I recommend showing Episodes 1-3 when they're young. Before 10, for sure. Kids love the new trilogy, by and large, because they're unencumbered by nostalgia and because those movies were aimed at getting them into the Star Wars canon. They're GOOD MOVIES, for what they were trying to accomplish--but those of us who were teens and adults when they were released resented that we weren't the target audience. So give your kids the chance to watch them as they were intended and form their own nostalgia! :D
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Boo wrote: »

I dont think you're giving kids enough credit. Sure, many are only looking for visual stimulation, but most kids still recognize the passion and "realness" behind the original movies. The PT might make some kids ooh and ahh because of the flashy cartoons, but they're bored for the other half the movie. A New Hope engages kids the whole time.

Like I said re: kids - depending on their personality - patience and level of focus/attention

Most kids today sadly lack a lot of patience, attention/focus.

Just saying.

Most kids and even adults I know being introduced to star wars for the first time actually found A New Hope to be the most boring. That's not me at all - love that movie!! It's just what I have noticed over a bunch of different people and age groups.

I love always introducing new people to star wars - its like I can live vicariously through them, like I'm watching it for the first time again. So I show star wars to lots of people who haven't given it a try before - adults and kids.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    I can safely say that it isn't a problem with people not having enough attention span--a lot of old movies (though I agree that Star Wars isn't one of them) are straight up boring and plodding and could easily benefit from a modern edit.

That isn't to say all old movies--and again, specifically not Star Wars--are slow. It's also not to say that a movie has to be action-packed to keep entertaining folks. But it's not a generational thing.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Good feedback and discussion everyone, this is what I was hoping for!

Luckily, I have like 8 years to figure this out lol
    -Sun Tzu
  • Good feedback and discussion everyone, this is what I was hoping for!

Luckily, I have like 8 years to figure this out lol
    No you don't, and technically, yes you do.

Bare in mind in 8 years, we would have another 3 or 4 movies to add to the list we have today.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Ha, that thought did occur to me as I posted that.
    -Sun Tzu
  • 3Cheers4Tyranny
    2084 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Mullato wrote: »

Basically what im saying is, what you like is purely opinion-based. I'd let them watch it however they want.

So much this^^^