Would anyone Invest in a PHonix Squad with the Zaul Meta so overpowered.

Prev1
Vice_torn
599 posts Member
edited April 2017
To be honest I have not fully looked at the squad but I have been told that it would be ripped apart by a Zaul squad. So it is not a counter to the current Meta.

Silver Lining it does give a reason for EA to claw back some of the overbuff they gave to Maul et. al.

Replies

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    There's more to the game than Arena.
  • No, but I like them releasing an entire team that's strong but not meta. I'm tired of every new character release being even more absurdly powerful than the last, and I think they did a good job with Phoenix. The entire squad is strong, if not meta, and at least one individual toon can be used in a top-tier squad elsewhere (Ezra with QGZ). Releasing an entire meta squad that could only be starred up through packs would be an absolute disaster.
  • What's Phonix?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    What's Phonix?

Hooked on?
  • I'll invest in them eventually but not right now. I was impressed with the way a maxed Phoenix works together. Im glad EA allows us to test them out so we can understand the way it works and everything. For me what is holding me back from investing in them is the star farm. I've already geared Nihilus, Chirrut, Baze and Shoretrooper and they are all only 4*.

I hated to spend so much materials on those 4 characters and I can't use them in raids because of them not being 7*.

Now once Phoenix squads become farmable..then yes I will invest more into them. Like I said they did seem rather impressive to me.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Olga wrote: »
    There's more to the game than Arena.

I asked if anyone had used them successfully in HAAT, but none of the whales responded, I'll take that as a no then.

Pray tell what do you refer to here when the context is the Phoenix squad?

If they are not relevant to HAAT (because other super combos), Rancor (well, doh, it goes down in 15 minutes anyway), Arena (because Maul, EP & others destroy them) and GW (who doesn't complete with their toons already, Phoenix squad is not your answer)..?

We can't live without their ships?

It's a good sign that they aren't p2w though and when they become farmable I intend to get them then.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Naw wrote: »
    I mean not everyone's lives revolve around Arena. The whole game doesn't revolve around arena. Arena viability isn't the only important aspect for characters in this game. This game is not an e-sport. No-one cares if you are in the top 10 on your shard.

This game is for fun, and this might shock you, some people play it for fun. Some people collect characters, simply because they like those characters. Some people collect characters just because they get bored of the same playstyle and like to mix things up. Some people might want them for ships, some people might want them for GW. Some people might even want them for running tier 1 LS battles for the rest of the future of the entire game.

Not everyone cares about chasing top arena spots so they can gear faster so they can keep chasing top arena spots.

Just because you don't like a character, doesn't mean everyone else hates it too. If you don't like it, don't invest in it.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    when they become farmable i'll probably farm/gear ezra and maybe sabine. But anything can happen before they'll become farmable, so i''l have to reconsider once they actually are farmable. It obviously also depends on where they're gonna be farmable. If they get the shore, baze, krennic threatment the decision becomes rather easy ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    I mean not everyone's lives revolve around Arena. The whole game doesn't revolve around arena. Arena viability isn't the only important aspect for characters in this game. This game is not an e-sport. No-one cares if you are in the top 10 on your shard.

This game is for fun, and this might shock you, some people play it for fun. Some people collect characters, simply because they like those characters. Some people collect characters just because they get bored of the same playstyle and like to mix things up. Some people might want them for ships, some people might want them for GW. Some people might even want them for running tier 1 LS battles for the rest of the future of the entire game.

Not everyone cares about chasing top arena spots so they can gear faster so they can keep chasing top arena spots.

Just because you don't like a character, doesn't mean everyone else hates it too. If you don't like it, don't invest in it.

Yeah yeah, even if you aren't investing in them for arena. There are tons of toons most people already have that do anything they can do but better. What's the point in spending money on them if you already have squads for free that can complete gw, rancor, hAAt, arena, ls/ds battles etc.

Maybe some people like to spend money on pixels because they like how they look, but clearly OP is not one those people.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    I think I already addressed your questions in my previous post.
  • The top 4 of my shard is composed only by Rex leadership. (maul user speaking: Zaul can be countered).
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    I think I already addressed your questions in my previous post.
    Mullato wrote: »

Maybe some people like to spend money on pixels because they like how they look, but clearly OP is not one those people.

And i addressed that here.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Okay, sweet.
  • You have to remember not everyone is starting at the same time. This could be a solid P1 Haat team in place of full Jedi or a great GW team for newer players to invest in.

Also,.... this is a card / character collection game - as we've seen with the forum wars about the rebels show - there are a good number of hard core fans that just want to own the character no matter if they are OP or not.
  • Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    I think they were decent on p2 haat, over 1 or 2m I can remember but there's a video on youtube, of course there's better squads bit they aren't too bad, not worth it to me to spend money on but I may star and gear them up once they are farmable, I like the way they play.
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    What's Phonix?

Hooked on?

Couldn't have written that better lol
  • DrewR
    272 posts Member
    Only for their ships. B)
  • I really enjoy the sandbox mode for the whole team. It's very fun getting to see how they actually work together before having to invest big $ in them and make new farming/gearing plans. I'm not personally attached to these toons, but this was a great addition to the game.

Now.... mod presets.... for the love of all that is holy. Please.
  • I really enjoy the sandbox mode for the whole team. It's very fun getting to see how they actually work together before having to invest big $ in them and make new farming/gearing plans. I'm not personally attached to these toons, but this was a great addition to the game.

Now.... mod presets.... for the love of all that is holy. Please.

Now if we could just have a sandbox to play with any of our own toons against our guild mates teams that would be nice.

to the OP (original poster not overpowered) just wait about a month. The real overpowered team is already out there on the older arena shards.

Rex, GK, Chaze insert whatever level 1 gear 1 toon you want as the fifth.

As Chiruit (no idea if that is the correct spelling) gets farmed, top ten of arena will all be the same team, and sorry to all of those (me included) not in a guild doing HAAT to get GK.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    I'm so sorry every team that's released has to become meta (rolls eyes)
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member

As Chiruit (no idea if that is the correct spelling) gets farmed, top ten of arena will all be the same team, and sorry to all of those (me included) not in a guild doing HAAT to get GK.
    DN squads kinda wreck that squad tbh.
  • Just so you know, as someone from a very old shard, the meta is changing from zaul. Triple cleanse team. Rex lead gk chaze and nihilus. If you can, get that team and you'll be ahead of the game.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Check_It wrote: »
    Just so you know, as someone from a very old shard, the meta is changing from zaul. Triple cleanse team. Rex lead gk chaze and nihilus. If you can, get that team and you'll be ahead of the game.

The only problem with that is that it's only there because maul is the meta.

Triple cleanse can stop maul, but other teams can step all over the triple cleanse squad.
  • Tromedlov13
    1559 posts Member
    edited April 2017

You may be right, never used DN as lead but the no crit extra health steal might do it. But against zMaul, they crush especially if they get potency up before DN can use force drain. He never gets to annihilate. And the auto crit for zMaul lead gives ridiculous tm (especially when you have SithTrooper and he crits on retribution).

The taunt juggling is ridiculous as well.

Edit: who do you use in your DN team. I am close to having an extra zeta that I might use on him. If this works I was thinking of just juggling his lead for my zMaul and going DN, DM, ZSavage, ST, SA.

If that a good DN team or should I be working on getting Dooku to a higher gear level.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member

If they are not relevant to HAAT (because other super combos), Rancor (well, doh, it goes down in 15 minutes anyway), Arena (because Maul, EP & others destroy them) and GW (who doesn't complete with their toons already, Phoenix squad is not your answer)..?

They really aren't relevant to the HAAT in any case. GK is everywhere now and anyone who would buy the Phoenix squad would already have a roster that crushes the HAAT. Raid rewards are very weak on top of that.

You are correct in that there is really no good reason to buy them. Especially just to have them sit for a few weeks until they pop up in shipments. If arena was better balanced I might see a reason for fans to get them, but not the way it is now. It does look like they deliberately made the ships OP to force players to get them, but ships will always be second fiddle to arena.

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    who do you use in your DN team. I am close to having an extra zeta that I might use on him. If this works I was thinking of just juggling his lead for my zMaul and going DN, DM, ZSavage, ST, SA.

If that a good DN team or should I be working on getting Dooku to a higher gear level.

I use Maul in arena, but I had the squad you mentioned on GW12 earlier (obviously not the same as an arena battle). It was pretty easy to beat tbh all I needed was;
    DN 4* G8 messed up mods
    SA 4* G8 No mods at all
    Then the usual stuff;
    EP 7* G10
    DV 7* G10
    Maul 7* G10
    Only zeta is maul, but kind of irrelevant in this case.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    edited April 2017

You may be right, never used DN as lead but the no crit extra health steal might do it. But against zMaul, they crush especially if they get potency up before DN can use force drain. He never gets to annihilate. And the auto crit for zMaul lead gives ridiculous tm (especially when you have SithTrooper and he crits on retribution).

The taunt juggling is ridiculous as well.

Edit: who do you use in your DN team. I am close to having an extra zeta that I might use on him. If this works I was thinking of just juggling his lead for my zMaul and going DN, DM, ZSavage, ST, SA.

Not true at all

DN lead has had the most consistent win ratio I've ever had.

It crushes Rex triple cleanse and even zaul.

I have never lost a match on offense with my DN lead against any single team

If I can get hit with this RNG at the start and come back and win like my end result I'm pretty sure you got that all wrong.

bAZ6VVM.jpg

ySXXnSC.jpg

Edit: nvm misunderstood what you're getting at.

Anyways DN is most consistent team on offense I've seen
  • The current meta is not overpowered in the least. We are actually back to the point where winning on offense is very easy so long as you have the right counters. I've actually gone from rank 1 to 30 overnight because of this. It's a boring meta, sure, but in no way overpowered
  • Mullato wrote: »
    Check_It wrote: »
    Just so you know, as someone from a very old shard, the meta is changing from zaul. Triple cleanse team. Rex lead gk chaze and nihilus. If you can, get that team and you'll be ahead of the game.

The only problem with that is that it's only there because maul is the meta.

Triple cleanse can stop maul, but other teams can step all over the triple cleanse squad.

Even Zaul steps all over triple cleanse. Launch shard, I tried triple cleanse because I was sick of Zaul RNG dodgefest. Super on offense, dropped much harder than Zaul. I'm back with Zaul and we have only one Rex/ Chaze/ GK/ DN squad in the top.
  • Monxie
    559 posts Member
    The answer is short and simple: Because they have great ships!
    Honestly, ships is the content I enjoy the most in the game - and Ghost & Phantom II are fantastic ships. That's why I'll take all members of the Phoenix squad to at least G10.
    (I'm not a whale btw) :)