Warning: GW is about to get more difficult so you may want to conserve tokens

Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited February 2016
Buried in the patch notes is this line:
- Fixed an issue where manual targeting could affect the randomness in an encounter.
Some of you may already know how this impacts GW. So the future may mean more retreats/frustration/failures. If you have GW tokens saved up, you may want to be more conservative with them.. many folks will no longer be getting 1200 a day.
(Before anyone bothers, no, this is not a complaint, this doesn't really bother me, I am just warning people who may be burning down stockpiles of tokens.)
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Options
    Can you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand it's implication and how it's different than it is now. Thanks.
  • Options
    Yep, I noticed this as well :/

However if i'm not mistaken, you can still manually adjust you squad/leader position, which will also change the RNG seed.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    - Fixed an issue where manual targeting could affect the randomness in an encounter.
    Some of you may already know how this impacts GW. So the future may mean more retreats/frustration/failures. If you have GW tokens saved up, you may want to be more conservative with them.. many folks will no longer be getting 1200 a day.
    (Before anyone bothers, no, this is not a complaint, this doesn't really bother me, I am just warning people who may be burning down stockpiles of tokens.)

I think what people do not realize (and correct me if I am wrong please), but there are multiple ways to refresh seeds that are outside of who you are manually targeting.

What I do sometimes is just use a different skill, attack a different character, and if that still doesn't work then I will change the order of my lineup prior to starting the match.
  • Options
    I've noticed it already....sometimes even using the exact same team without switching positions after a retreat the enemy won't make the same moves. For example, first time the enemy Sid will aoe. I retreat, and enemy Sid attack with his basic. Both times in this example enemy Sid goes first.
  • Options
    HamZolo wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand it's implication and how it's different than it is now. Thanks.

Once you hit the higher levels, you will face teams that would win/lose based on one toon using one ability or another or the order in which toons go. You can change who you are targeting (even when it isn't your turn) to possibly change what order toons go in or whether or not Poe uses his taunt or his primary attack.
  • Options
    What's the use of saving gw tokens now since the refresh cost is going to be reverted to cost crystals again soon.The fact that they said it was a bug fix is even more wierd.
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    Options
    To beat GW the first 6 battles must have no casualty. You can win perfectly if you fight few time since you know what the enemy's attack will be like.

If you face more than three teams full of 7stars then it will be a slim chance to win GW.

I recommend daka , lumi , Sid , jc , Dooku

• Jaqen_Hghar
    491 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Waiting to see how this applies to the few observations I have made about GW so far. I have 3k tokens so far and ain't spending a single one until the new patch comes and I do some testing. Ty for the heads up.
  • Options
    I have over 10k..I'm farming resistance pilot because the new event pushed me to farming Jedi instead of GS. Don't care about refresh now....I'll simply use them for Lumi and 86 shards for shard shop if I have to. If a cool new toon is added...excellent
  • Options
    Never worry about what may come, live in the moment!

Carpe Diem!
  • Options
    @Queltar can you share your thiugh at what do you think that note implies in practice? Most logical thing is that I addresses one's try to develop an "opening book" by repeating same battle with just ine critical path where you like the previous step results and don't change them.

In other words, anything could be changed, from getting a new seed after each restart (woukd still allow you to be lucky - but you cannot search the best branch anymore) to doing more questionable logic like a failed stun on first attemp results in a failed stun regardless of where you aim (would go against game rules as targets have different stats and there are faction-dependant %).

If it goes for a new random seed every time, it will help for those hirrible scenarios where the Enemy seems to lock into a high damage rate, or extremely high dodge, or extreme crit rate (not consistent with enemy stats).

I think it can be good or bad, but definitely bad for critical path "search" warriors.
  • Options
    BentWookie wrote: »

Carpe Diem!

Ah, but a penny saved is a penny earned...
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

You're doing it again, dude: providing great information but throwing tons of drama queen on top. This is actually a big deal for convenience in GW but I doubt it will mean we won't be completing the things significantly more or less (particularly because most folks won't even know what you're referring to)--it'll just take slightly more time for the hard ones.

• Options
    BentWookie wrote: »

Carpe Diem!

yolo
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options
    @Queltar can you share your thiugh at what do you think that note implies in practice? Most logical thing is that I addresses one's try to develop an "opening book" by repeating same battle with just ine critical path where you like the previous step results and don't change them.

In other words, anything could be changed, from getting a new seed after each restart (woukd still allow you to be lucky - but you cannot search the best branch anymore) to doing more questionable logic like a failed stun on first attemp results in a failed stun regardless of where you aim (would go against game rules as targets have different stats and there are faction-dependant %).

If it goes for a new random seed every time, it will help for those hirrible scenarios where the Enemy seems to lock into a high damage rate, or extremely high dodge, or extreme crit rate (not consistent with enemy stats).

I think it can be good or bad, but definitely bad for critical path "search" warriors.

All it means is that you used to (currently) be able to tap on different targets before the opposing team does their leader power to randomize the seed. If you don't press anything and let it sit there then all else being equal the same thing will happen each time, with the same team (eg Sid hits you for 1024 damage each start then next guy dodges). It's a very handy trick but little more than a time saver and not really game changing imo.

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    LHzEHzU.jpg

got no reason to use em. maybe dathcha if I get really bored
    mighty chlorians
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    Options
    There was mention of it being patched at some point when they changed retreat. It's not unexpected but is unwelcomed.
  • Options
    I never really used or relied on that method anyway. Shouldn't change much unless you relied on it.
  • Options
    Didn't even know you could do that. Huh. I just switch my leader, move some guys around, retreat and switch back. Seems to work.

Might have to try the targeting thing tomorrow, just to see it before it goes
  • Options
    Is it possible that you aren't changing the seed when you change target? It's possible that you force the AI to change THEIR target, or change their basic to a special attack? The AI must have a protocol they follow in battle. Maybe if you target their healer they change their tactic?
  • Options
    @Widget_gaget Not trying to be offensive, but isn't that the same thing as changing seed? If the click on another target, and the AI does something else, seed changed? If you swap leaders, and the AI does something different, seed changed?

Or is the seed still the same? So if you start, target Lumi, seed 1. Start, click target Dooku, different actions because new target, but still seed 1? Kinda confusing.
  • Options
    The seed stays the same the "value" attached to that seed is used to attack a different toon. You are basically making the AI use that seed number on a different action.
  • Options
    Your second comment was more the direction I was thinking.
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    Options
    It can change action order and the outcome tenacity rolls.
  • Options
    All right, that makes sense. Interesting. Gonna have to see what it's about tomorrow.
  • Options
    BTW I suggested this last night and people acted like I was the dumbest shortbusser they had ever met.
  • Options
    @Widget_gaget Sorry to hear that. People are very toxic, aggressive and annoying here. And I don't mean the ones passing out or discussing useful information. Constructive criticism isn't whining.
  • President_Scroob
    1802 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Part of the issue I have with GW is AI is too effing smart. They always, always target healers. Stopped on battle 6 tonight. Didn't lose everyone. I quit out of frustration over every team having a purple dooku and every team exclusively targeting my healers. Not worth the effort. CG....FIX THIS POS GAME MODE.

I've beaten it 3 times. I still effing hate its guts.