So PS toons flopped pretty hard.

With this Phoenix Squad event we got to see a maxed out gear and level PS squad against meta squads like Nihilus lead, EP lead, and several others. In every run of this event I leave it completely up to the AI to beat the team to see how well they will perform on defence. They are terrible and 100% not worth investing in based on what I saw. A full maxed out PS squad versus an EP lead, with ShoreTroopet, TP, Tarkin, and DT completely wiped them with ease. Ok maybe that was just a fluke. Next round, a Nihilus lead with Maul, Savage, Vader, and I can't remember the 5th. Big shocker, they got wiped again because of Maul. Now none of the teams you fight in that event are high tier meta teams and no Zeta leads were used to my knowledge. They should be able to beat them with realative ease considering the price you would have to pay to acquire that team, but it requires your full attention and full strategy to even beat a terrible Empire team. What gives? They are some of the biggest benchwarmers in this game and some of the most expensive. Interesting idea for squad synergy but it doesn't work even in a 6v5 fight because that's the cherry on top of my findings. You have all 6 PS toons against terrible meta squads and you can still lose easily with the AI taking control. I can't understand why anybody would invest in these toons other than the fact that they just want to waste some money on some cool looking trophy toons.

Replies

• Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    They are actually pretty good on offense once you play around with them. Arena isn't the only portion of the game as they do decent in haat as well. Geared and modded right I think they could win offensively against just about any squad, but yes the will flop on defense, and probably worse than other teams will. I'm sure they ate excellent for gw, ls and cantina battles but that being said, it's not enough to make me spend the money to star and gear them atm and I'm sure some are disappointed that they did. I think once they get some zetas added they could be very viable.
  • Drax_77 wrote: »
    They are actually pretty good on offense once you play around with them. Arena isn't the only portion of the game as they do decent in haat as well. Geared and modded right I think they could win offensively against just about any squad, but yes the will flop on defense, and probably worse than other teams will. I'm sure they ate excellent for gw, ls and cantina battles but that being said, it's not enough to make me spend the money to star and gear them atm and I'm sure some are disappointed that they did. I think once they get some zetas added they could be very viable.

Well duh, sorry but the point that with some zetas they will be good doesn't make any sense. You could say that about literally any toon in the game including CUP and Mob Enforcer. They are terrible and considering the price you have to pay to get them, they better be able to solo HAAT and not just deal decent damage. While for the large part I agree with you, I don't think that we can base anything on the hypothetical situation that they get a meta shifting Zeta ability.
  • With this Phoenix Squad event we got to see a maxed out gear and level PS squad against meta squads like Nihilus lead, EP lead, and several others. In every run of this event I leave it completely up to the AI to beat the team to see how well they will perform on defence. They are terrible and 100% not worth investing in based on what I saw. A full maxed out PS squad versus an EP lead, with ShoreTroopet, TP, Tarkin, and DT completely wiped them with ease. Ok maybe that was just a fluke. Next round, a Nihilus lead with Maul, Savage, Vader, and I can't remember the 5th. Big shocker, they got wiped again because of Maul. Now none of the teams you fight in that event are high tier meta teams and no Zeta leads were used to my knowledge. They should be able to beat them with realative ease considering the price you would have to pay to acquire that team, but it requires your full attention and full strategy to even beat a terrible Empire team. What gives? They are some of the biggest benchwarmers in this game and some of the most expensive. Interesting idea for squad synergy but it doesn't work even in a 6v5 fight because that's the cherry on top of my findings. You have all 6 PS toons against terrible meta squads and you can still lose easily with the AI taking control. I can't understand why anybody would invest in these toons other than the fact that they just want to waste some money on some cool looking trophy toons.

v
    > mods <
    ^
  • Well cg released chaze and zaul, then they realized they **** up, so they release phoneix which is actually balanced but feels completely underpowered in comparison. In other words cg messed up big time.
  • With this Phoenix Squad event we got to see a maxed out gear and level PS squad against meta squads like Nihilus lead, EP lead, and several others. In every run of this event I leave it completely up to the AI to beat the team to see how well they will perform on defence. They are terrible and 100% not worth investing in based on what I saw. A full maxed out PS squad versus an EP lead, with ShoreTroopet, TP, Tarkin, and DT completely wiped them with ease. Ok maybe that was just a fluke. Next round, a Nihilus lead with Maul, Savage, Vader, and I can't remember the 5th. Big shocker, they got wiped again because of Maul. Now none of the teams you fight in that event are high tier meta teams and no Zeta leads were used to my knowledge. They should be able to beat them with realative ease considering the price you would have to pay to acquire that team, but it requires your full attention and full strategy to even beat a terrible Empire team. What gives? They are some of the biggest benchwarmers in this game and some of the most expensive. Interesting idea for squad synergy but it doesn't work even in a 6v5 fight because that's the cherry on top of my findings. You have all 6 PS toons against terrible meta squads and you can still lose easily with the AI taking control. I can't understand why anybody would invest in these toons other than the fact that they just want to waste some money on some cool looking trophy toons.

v
    > mods <
    ^

I'm not sure mods would be able to fix them. Even if they were loaded with speed or whatever their synergy just doesn't work because it's too versatile. It relies too heavily on user input to be playable by the AI
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Well cg released chaze and zaul, then they realized they **** up, so they release phoneix which is actually balanced but feels completely underpowered in comparison. In other words cg messed up big time.

If I'm being honest, Chaze and Zaul aren't the problem, mods are. The only reason Zaul and Chaze are a problem is because you can mod them to beat teams that theoretically should be able to beat them or counter them. Theoretically EP should be able to counter Chaze easily with the stuns and shock, but because you can mod Chaze to be fast and tanks those counters don't work as well as they should. PS toons theoretically should be able to counter teams with retribution and counter teams like GK, 5s, Aayla, and Dooku with ease because they all call assists which can't be countered, but because those teams have insane mods on them it doesn't work well in the current meta.
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Well cg released chaze and zaul, then they realized they **** up, so they release phoneix which is actually balanced but feels completely underpowered in comparison. In other words cg messed up big time.

If I'm being honest, Chaze and Zaul aren't the problem, mods are. The only reason Zaul and Chaze are a problem is because you can mod them to beat teams that theoretically should be able to beat them or counter them. Theoretically EP should be able to counter Chaze easily with the stuns and shock, but because you can mod Chaze to be fast and tanks those counters don't work as well as they should. PS toons theoretically should be able to counter teams with retribution and counter teams like GK, 5s, Aayla, and Dooku with ease because they all call assists which can't be countered, but because those teams have insane mods on them it doesn't work well in the current meta.

Well if both teams are running insane mods it kind of cancels each other out. The problem with Phoenix is rather then countering a zaul team they do the exact opposite. A strange move by cg and I'm sure it hurt them financially.
  • To me it seems that Phoenix toons are best paired with other Rebels. Like you said, their synergies vary too far from each other to be a tier 1 arena squad.
    -- Qui-Lun Taeren --
    Jedi Speed is a Thing!
  • Since Chaze were so OP every toon that came after them seems weak in comparison,maybe with the exception of DN. How good were really Krennic and DT? Going by swgoh.gg this toons are virtually unused by players ranked in top 100. How good are Gar Saxon and his ISC ? I do not think that Phoenix squad is weaker than this toons, and I hope that Chazelike OPness will be avoided in the future.
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

Well if both teams are running insane mods it kind of cancels each other out. The problem with Phoenix is rather then countering a zaul team they do the exact opposite. A strange move by cg and I'm sure it hurt them financially.

Not always, a TFP with +100 speed in secondaries will always go after a Sassy with +100 speed under a Zaul lead
    518 posts Member
    There not anymore meta squads. The one you fight are not relevant to it, and against EP you may loose a lot because he's stunning everyone and then the other step on you and he's not meta leader anymore.
    So I'll say they're not even worth it.
    Plus, you don't know the stats of the opponent, they might be underrated to let you think PS is a good squad either way.
  • They are pretty cool though! ;) ... won't replace my Jedi team, but mix well with my Rebels in GW... Not going to pay for them though... well, no more than I have... they will be farmable soon enough! :)
  • Guest wrote: »
    There not anymore meta squads. The one you fight are not relevant to it, and against EP you may loose a lot because he's stunning everyone and then the other step on you and he's not meta leader anymore.
    So I'll say they're not even worth it.
    Plus, you don't know the stats of the opponent, they might be underrated to let you think PS is a good squad either way.

Nobody has mods and they are around gear 9-10. That's exactly what I'm saying, the squads you fight aren't anywhere close to the current meta and you still lose to them if you leave it up to the AI.