What's a good squad against the counter-meta (Rex)?

Tiggus
766 posts Member
After a very short-lived wave of Siths (under Maul), my Arena is now infested with Rex squads (triple cleanse + Baze +1). I still run my old Vader/Boba team, who was taking a beating against the Mauls, but not so much against the Rexes, strangely (Vader sometimes needs to wait 3 or 4 turns for Force crush, but fortunately the one thing those teams don't do much is actual damage, so I can just wait), but I'm itching to try Maul (I have him levelled, and 20 zeta materials).

So the question is: Since Rex is the scissors to Maul's paper, do Maul teams have a hard time against the Rexes? Is it still useful to invest in Maul now that its counter is so widespread? Or is there a better usage for that Zeta, including perhaps wait for that second Empire pass (Tarkin?)?

--Thanks
☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/

Replies

• Bomroll
    399 posts Member
    Rex can win vs Maul but it's still not as good. Maul lead vs rex will win on offense. Maul nihilus sithsin Ep + tank is a better team than rex for me.
  • I run zaul and only lose on offense to another zaul due to RNG maybe 1 out of 20 attacks. Rex is easy and zQGJ I can just auto and have most of my protection still at the end.

Unless you have insane speed, Zader is dead in the water against all other zeta teams. We have only 2 die hard zaders left and they drop to the 30s and have a hard time getting top 5at payout.
  • A Nihilus lead is the perfect counter to a Rex lead. You will win on offence against Rex every time (assuming parity in gear/mods). However, you will also sink like a stone on defence.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Bomroll wrote: »
    Rex can win vs Maul but it's still not as good. Maul lead vs rex will win on offense. Maul nihilus sithsin Ep + tank is a better team than rex for me.

B2 is nice against the triple cleanse/Rex teams. Zylo is also excellent as the 5th. If you're Palp is fast enough, you don't even need SA.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    I run a Nihilus lead with Sith Trooper against Rex lead teams, and it also works against Zaul teams very well. If you speed your sith well, Nihilus lead is a good counter.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Rex drops overnight. Bad defense.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    dad2my3 wrote: »

Honestly, most teams drop pretty far over night. The AI is **** of defense for almost any team.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    dad2my3 wrote: »

Honestly, most teams drop pretty far over night. The AI is **** of defense for almost any team.

Except zaul, cuz RNG :smiley:

The easiest way to beat these triple cleansing rex teams is with a zfinn team. It's comical how badly I can beat these teams, more often then not my Poe doesn't even die. From what I hear fo and jedi can also dominate these Rex teams.
  • Zader and boba can wreck a rex lead team. Cleanse doesn't do anything and culling blade will one shot anyone. And execute ignores taunt so peace out rex or chirrut.
  • Tatebomb wrote: »
    Zader and boba can wreck a rex lead team. Cleanse doesn't do anything and culling blade will one shot anyone. And execute ignores taunt so peace out rex or chirrut.

:lol: This team gets dominated by soo many comps. They just have the ability to hide in a sea of zauls and can't be reached by the people running these other comps....
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Triple clense team? Instead of my 5 Siths I run usually, I'll take out one(usually zDooku)and run B2 with them. Any other Rex team I will run a full zMaul/Sith squad.