How good is darth maul in a team?

Recently I have been neglecting my darth maul because I know his chromium only units, but I have been pretty lucky in chromium and didn't realize I could star him up to 6 star.

Now my question is how viable is he in GW and Arena?

My current Arena team has
5 star Phasma L
5 star Poe
4 star Rey
6 star GS
4 Star Poggle

I'm lvl 54 currently and all of them are gear 6 or 7.

I'm thinking to revamp my Arena team and need suggestion on below composition.

Phasma L 5*
GS 7*
Poe 5*
Maul 6*
Rey 4*/ Sid 6*/ Lumi 6*/ Poggle 4*

My server is pretty new I'm always in top 5 and highest whale is only lvl 59. I'm open to more suggestion on how can I fit maul into my arena team although he has low health and currently only gear 5 and level 50 he could one shot most Jedi because of his high crit and damage against Jedi. Even on non jedi his damage is as high as my GS or Rey.

His high evasion, crit and damage really makes him a deadly character but I'm not sure how viable is he in the end game because I don't see many people use him even amongst whale.

At his gear and stat lvl 50 he could crit for 6k unbuffed from Poggle and Phasma on a non Jedi.

His biggest downside is his speed but it should be balanced somewhat with Phasma leader ability and also Poe buying some time for him.

Replies

• He is non existent at the end game if you want to know.

• He is non existent at the end game if you want to know.

May I know what's the reason? It's true that he don't really appears on top whale team because whale has access to more better damage dealer like Rey, Leia or even FOTP, but is there any other reason his not viable at all?
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Maul is amazeballs, king of burst damage vs Jedi, and an absolute must-have in my GW team. I've also used him efficiently in the arena where I'm consistently top 20.

Maul's AOE deals the heaviest damage in the game. But he truly shines a little ways into the battle when you've killed a toon and he starts lining up crit upon crit, gaining ATK up and 100% renewed turn meter every time he kills.

If I was asked to either shoot my best friend or forfeit my Maul, I'd shoot my friend twice.
  • Nonemo wrote: »
    Maul is amazeballs, king of burst damage vs Jedi, and an absolute must-have in my GW team. I've also used him efficiently in the arena where I'm consistently top 20.

Maul's AOE deals the heaviest damage in the game. But he truly shines a little ways into the battle when you've killed a toon and he starts lining up crit upon crit, gaining ATK up and 100% renewed turn meter every time he kills.

If I was asked to either shoot my best friend or forfeit my Maul, I'd shoot my friend twice.

Thanks and very nice way of putting him. I think his not that lacking behind other heavy dpser.
  • My 7* Maul is amazing,

...to look at on my bench. He's great to have for gw, but he's a easy target n will go down fast in arena.
    A great weapon to play with, but there are better farmable toons....n if ur a newer player don't get lost in his kool factor....you'll be disappointed as your other toons start to really shine, n he's still 4* getting picked on......

If you don't care n you throw $ like your at the club. .then enjoy your toy
  • Fighton wrote: »
    My 7* Maul is amazing,

...to look at on my bench. He's great to have for gw, but he's a easy target n will go down fast in arena.
    A great weapon to play with, but there are better farmable toons....n if ur a newer player don't get lost in his kool factor....you'll be disappointed as your other toons start to really shine, n he's still 4* getting picked on......

If you don't care n you throw $ like your at the club. .then enjoy your toy

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't focusing on him but I noticed I have him at 6 star already that is why I started playing with him again and so far his pretty amazing in mid 50s.

My only concern for him is how viable is he on arena end game and GW, as you say his still pretty viable as a damage dealer I will invest more time into his gear and level instead of my Rey which is still long way to 5 star.
  • M9silent
    821 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    @Yunne I run an all Jedi team. Consists of F2P heroes 7*(Ima Gun is 5*), lvl 68, including Mace and Ahsoka. I've heard that Maul will tear through Jedi teams because of his massive damage output. So he dies first. In 2 or less hits. I've faced plenty of 7* geared out Mauls, and they all died FAST. But I hear they wreck Jedi.

So, maybe Maul is amazing on offense, when you're in control. But sucks in def when AI has him and I can prioritize. Consider that. Great for offense, but you might not want him for your overnight defense.

I have a 4* geared Maul and love him for GW and missions, but to low for Arena.
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    A 6 star Maul should be amazing... On offense.

I'm using a 5*maul and he's great in arena if nothing else than wiping Lumi. He can one hit her more than not (esp. Since he goes last he is great at cleaning up).

However vs all droid team or on defense he will be a liability. A very great, balanced character (best off vs Jedi, worst def overall until he gets his bonuses juiced), and fun to play.

Also GW he is playable because he can heal himself as he goes and gets more powerful toward the end of each round if you can play RNG.

You should be stoked with 6*Maul and use him, but he's not going to be useful in all situations.
  • he's awesome on pve. i think he's great. one of the best AOEs like Lando. Good stuff, when meta gets to him, he will be a powerhouse.
  • Yunne
    17 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for sharing thought on him guys much appreciated.

Yes in arena I'm planning on using him as offense once I secure the spots I could just swap another more defense team like in like sidius and Lumi.

Currently I only have 4 star Rey in my main team and she is hard to star up, therefore I plan to get her replace for now with darth maul. She great with her damage and special but not having higher star level really hurt her quite bad.

• Maul is probably the funnest toon there is to play. One hitting jedi with a 100% turn meter only to do it again and again
  • I'd say go for him, under one condition: you run Poe. Maul is one of the slowest and squishiest attackers in the game (possibly the slowest and squishiest). If you won't have Poe to protect him turn 1, you'll have a problem.

But the meta will run more Jedi in the future, so he'll be even more dominant if. 6* is good enough. You're lucky with those packs lol, I've never dropped even a 3* character
  • Ilza
    67 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    While Maul deals really strong damage, he dies when someone breathes on him and gets outrun by snails.
    He's certainly not unplayable, but the effort needed to protect him is huge. Similar to FOTP he does well when assisting others so he could fit into a team with Stormtrooper Han, Poe, QGJ and Geonosian Soldier, but if you really want to optimize then you should probably look for other options.
  • Deimos
    326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I love Maul. I only have him at four stars though and I'm dreaming of the day I can have him on my meta arena team. The problem I see is that he takes strategy to use properly and shine. Yet the AI uses him so bad on challenges where I just hit "auto", it's not even funny.
  • Yes I am also thinking along the line of running him with Poe and Phasma lead.

Poe to buy him time so he doesn't get 1 or 2 shotted.

Phasma lead for the assist ability and also the turn meter and advantage buff.

I am also planning to start farming QGJ with GS so that he would get more assisted chance for killing blows.

He has very obvious weakness on his speed and hp but if his played with above setup I think he can be very viable for end game arena hopefully.