Buff Lock

Some buffs cannot be dispelled. Recently, we saw the addition of little padlocks onto these buff icons. How about a new character with an ability to add these locks to existing buffs?

Dispellers, once rare, are not very hard to come by anymore. We now have a few that dispel with their basic attacks. As a result, some taunters such as St Han have lost all viability. Seems to me that some of our lost heroes could be restored by introducing a buff lock ability.

Enter General Rieekan with his Unwavering Resolve special ability, which cleanses all debuffs and locks existing buffs. For each debuff cleansed, reduce cooldown by 1. St Han makes his way back to the front line. Rebels come charging back to the meta. Palpatine is relegated to the shadows ... until he gets his zeta which applies debuff locks!

Then somewhere along the line, buff/debuff locks get added to a unique ability (General Hux!), so zPhasma teams start every encounter with locked Advantage and zKylo Retribution cannot be dispelled or even stunned because FOO gave him locked Tenacity Up and you just cannot ever stop him without Nihilus.

Yeah, sounds good to me.

Replies

• Seems like a stealth "put Rebels back on top" thread. They still are on top on new shards. If you put them back on top for all shards, then the new shards will never even see a single day where Rebels are not on top.
  • I can't decide if I think this would be great or horrible
  • Seems like a stealth "put Rebels back on top" thread. They still are on top on new shards. If you put them back on top for all shards, then the new shards will never even see a single day where Rebels are not on top.

It's really a way to buff First Order teams. You didn't see the part about Kylo?
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Seems like a stealth "put Rebels back on top" thread. They still are on top on new shards. If you put them back on top for all shards, then the new shards will never even see a single day where Rebels are not on top.

It's really a way to buff First Order teams. You didn't see the part about Kylo?
    Okay, so living to see a day when they can fight somebody that isn't wearing orange pajamas is a carrot on a stick for new players, and we just need to make the stick a lot longer in order to satisfy the players who have already invested a lot into orange pajamas. Still sounds terrible.

Look, another way of saying this is: the thread sounds like you want to run a team without any dispellers and you think everybody else's dispels should be neutered because of your squad choice. How selfish and shortsighted is that?
    Post edited by lisztophobia on
  • Lol that you think being able to lock a taunt is a good idea. Funny.
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Yes! When can I lock my foresight buff???!?!!!??
  • AnnerDoon wrote: »
    Yes! When can I lock my foresight buff???!?!!!??

Oh man, that would be sweeeeet!

Okay, so living to see a day when they can fight somebody that isn't wearing orange pajamas is a carrot on a stick for new players, and we just need to make the stick a lot longer in order to satisfy the players who have already invested a lot into orange pajamas. Still sounds terrible.

Look, another way of saying this is: the thread sounds like you want to run a team without any dispellers and you think everybody else's dispels should be neutered because of your squad choice. How selfish and shortsighted is that?

Relax bro. What do you have against orange pajamas?
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Lock a taunter with foresight. Sounds fair.
  • I want chirrut to lock on Hot's
  • Fellas, look. I did not intend to imply that the buffs would never expire, simply that they could not be dispelled. Similar to Bounty Hunter's Resolve. It is locked, and cannot be dispelled. However, if Boba's health is reduced to zero, BHR expires and revives him. I simply proposed an ability to apply locks to other buffs so they could not be dispelled. But they could still expire.
    Can you not see the possibilities? This would open the door for a Buff Unlock ability, making it once again susceptible to dispel. It's an arms race!
    Still, I would hate to go up against Baze with 13 locked HoTs over his head. But stick him with Buff Block so he can't get more and you would have room to work, after they expire.

By the way, Phoenix squadron now has a permanent effect that looks and acts like a debuff in Sabine's Armor Shred ability. It cannot be dispelled. Permanent effects have already arrived.
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    What do you offer as compensation to dispellers so that this doesn't end up being a "nerf them through the floor and make their abilities stop doing anything" deal? Can't just write them an I.O.U. that doesn't come due till August.
  • I offer them the bench. They can sit right next to Old Daka, Geonosian Soldier, and IG-100.

• By the way, Phoenix squadron now has a permanent effect that looks and acts like a debuff in Sabine's Armor Shred ability. It cannot be dispelled. Permanent effects have already arrived.

This is where you're wrong, padawan. Armor shred doesn't count as a debuff, it's clarified in the description

• By the way, Phoenix squadron now has a permanent effect that looks and acts like a debuff in Sabine's Armor Shred ability. It cannot be dispelled. Permanent effects have already arrived.

This is where you're wrong, padawan. Armor shred doesn't count as a debuff, it's clarified in the description

Yes, that's why I said looks and acts like a debuff. They call it a "unique effect." It doesn't "count" as a debuff, but it is. If it walks and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I can't decide if I think this would be great or horrible

Horrible, unfortunately the OPs example is one of the main reasons, lock sth with taunt up and he keeps granting tm, give him some hots and maybe retribution....

There would also need to be list of buffs this wouldn't work on such as foresight, tenacity up, and maybe others.
  • Good idea. Personally I'd prefer if they reworked older characters to do this kinda thing. Maybe veers since he's supposedly getting a rework
  • Kyno wrote: »

Horrible, unfortunately the OPs example is one of the main reasons, lock sth with taunt up and he keeps granting tm, give him some hots and maybe retribution....

There would also need to be list of buffs this wouldn't work on such as foresight, tenacity up, and maybe others.

Again, I did not suggest permanent buffs, just locked buffs. They could still expire due to time (Taunt) or after performing their designated function (Foresight).

St Han with locked Taunt would not be that bad, what with all the Mauls out there Dazing everybody and preventing TM gain effects. And how would St Han with Taunt and Retribution be any worse than Fives with Taunt and Retribution? You can do that right now with the right team, no buff locks required. Sun Fac does the same thing only worse with his Dispel. Kanan is another taunter that counters, not to mention FOST.

It isn't such a bad idea. You guys can be very hard to please.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Again, I did not suggest permanent buffs, just locked buffs. They could still expire due to time (Taunt) or after performing their designated function (Foresight).

St Han with locked Taunt would not be that bad, what with all the Mauls out there Dazing everybody and preventing TM gain effects. And how would St Han with Taunt and Retribution be any worse than Fives with Taunt and Retribution? You can do that right now with the right team, no buff locks required. Sun Fac does the same thing only worse with his Dispel. Kanan is another taunter that counters, not to mention FOST.

It isn't such a bad idea. You guys can be very hard to please.

Because sth grants tm that's how it's worse. And with an ability like you suggest and the (possible ) bug where sth grants tm if he has buff immunity he would basically be able to grant tm under any circumstance. The current way around him is to remove his buff after he uses his ability or ability block him first.

Just not sure having a blanket lock in buff and anything associated with it, even for a time limit seems like a bad idea. Especially adding in a cleanse before hand.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Ironically enough debuffs that can't be dispelled would have anti-synergy with Vader since culling blade needs to dispel them for bonus damage
  • K_mett1
    299 posts Member
    Some rewriting of characters would have to happen if this were to happen. It would be a pretty awesome ability for a character to have... of course any character with that ability would not be easily obtainable nor easy to farm to ensure a balance of power.