Jedi Consular - when does he become good?

Prev1
I have mixed feelings for that guy: when I line him up in a GW battle, he usually dies half way through that one battle (still useful because he helps the rest of the team to get out in good shape). He does small heals (below 2000), and pathetic damage even with his special.

On the other hand, I face lots of teams with him and they are not cut from the same cloth: massive heal, and quite a hard hit with their special.

Mine is a modest level 56, level V gear almost complete, level 4 abilities... I don't expect the difference to come from just a few more levels, but maybe there's prime gear for him on level VI ? That one missing gear item I have is one made out of 20 salvage things, and... well, I didn't think it was worth the pain.
☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/

Replies

• My JC is now at 5* gear lvl 7 and he is shaping up well. He still gets targeted badly in GW occasionally but for his utility value I will be getting him to 7*
  • Vodo
    332 posts Member
    Work on his gear (gear always matters!) and upgrade his main to lvl5 (+15% damage) and his heal to lvl6 (-1 cooldown). He's not on my main team but overall he's far from beeing bad.
  • All characters are poor to average at that level. He gets better when you hit 5/6 stars and you want to get gear maxed on him asap. Get his Jedi healing to level 6 and his basic attack upgraded so he has a chance to lower his cool downs. Get him maxed as soon as possible as he will greatly help you on galactic war, his 3 turn cd heal is amazing. He will get outclassed as you get stronger but he is definitely worth your time. I would recommend you get lumi and old daka as well. 3 healers once geared and starred can make your life in galactic war much easier.
  • l3end3r
    895 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    He was my first 7* and was really good for my team in PVP and GW. He's lost a little value since then, as he wasn't able to acquire any extra gear in the jump from 60 - 70. I subbed him out in arena, but he is, and will likely always be an irreplaceable starter in GW. Solid character.

To answer your question, I'm not really sure. I always leveled and maxed his gear out before my other characters, and focused farming on him, so I feel like he was my mvp until Lumi got to 6*
  • JC is not abbreviated for no reason, he is a saviour at 6 stars. A real pain in the neck....can't wait to see him at 7 :)
  • SpeedWeed
    504 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    My JC at 4* 7 gear is a crucial piece of my team

He toughens up at gear 7 onwards

I am at lvl 56 now.
    • he starts becoming great at 5* G8 and just gets better from there
    • easy to farm both gear and shards
    • strictly a secondary healer, Lumi should be your primary
    • if you have Barriss, don't bother with JC
    • not good for high ranks of arena
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Tiggus wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings for that guy: when I line him up in a GW battle, he usually dies half way through that one battle (still useful because he helps the rest of the team to get out in good shape). He does small heals (below 2000), and pathetic damage even with his special.

On the other hand, I face lots of teams with him and they are not cut from the same cloth: massive heal, and quite a hard hit with their special.

Mine is a modest level 56, level V gear almost complete, level 4 abilities... I don't expect the difference to come from just a few more levels, but maybe there's prime gear for him on level VI ? That one missing gear item I have is one made out of 20 salvage things, and... well, I didn't think it was worth the pain.

How many *?
  • Jaqen_Hghar
    491 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    How many stars does ur JC have? I agree that he can be squishy and it is hard to see his potential earlier in the game when you hit that GW plateau of keeping enough toons upgraded to survive. If you have him at 4 stars, and gear VII or above, you will find that even when you are 70 and facing 65+ level opponents with 5*+, he will prove his use.

It's a matter of choosing his placement because until you have him at higher stars, his biggest use will be to provide a mandatory heal, or be in the match in-case things go awry and you know an extra heal will be needed mid-fight.
  • Mines 6* max gear and he's amazing for GW. That's about it though
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Hes always good and the best you start out with. Hes never a top notch toon if thats what your driving at but his upside is his basic heal is every 3 turns with a chance to reduce to every other turn so hes useable and great for GW
  • Don't ignore JC for Barriss unless you have her node unlocked. Two different healers and you can't farm her until you are lvl 69 I think it is. You could have JC at 7* by then lol.
  • He becomes good the moment you unlock him. Not only he's easy to star up, super cheap to gear to purple+ and a staple for your GW squad, he's also good in arena.
  • He is great in the early levels, and good for GW when you hit 60-70.
    I have not seen him in the arena in a long time.
  • He has been great at 5* Gear VIII for me, but I only use him as backup in GW now. With a maxed 7* Lumi he is not as useful anymore. I may get him to 7 eventually though.
    Ally Code: 253-747-318
  • Mine is 5* gear 8 like a lot of others and all the way through getting him to this point I haven't found him to be underwhelming. I use him for pretty much every aspect of the game. Love him.
  • He is very good for GW at 5* helping me finish it everyday along with lumi and daka . I m slowly farming him playing 3 hard modes games per day even you can play 9. You won't regret it.
  • Gear 5 at level 58 is your problem. Get him to gear 8 and he will be a staple to your team.
  • Been using him since I got him. Thought about ditching him recently around level 58 but then I got the heal level -1 cool down and he is solidly back on my GW team.
  • BentWookie wrote: »
    He is great in the early levels, and good for GW when you hit 60-70.
    I have not seen him in the arena in a long time.

The wookie is correct. GW would be a lot harder without him. But Arena...Havent seen or used him there since early December.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    I saw one in the arena the other day. It was him, or an unicorn, not sure.
  • 1AmYourFath3r
    3103 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    JC 5* almost 6* and level 9 gear. With Barriss as leader, those two are my must haves, and he's must have in Challenges and events, and pretty much anything really. And he's really easy to farm in Cantina and multiple other hard levels.
  • I have Lumi 7* gear VII who I think is just fantastic, especially in GW (and makes me need my JC less). My JC is 4* and I see that getting him starred is not hard, but that whatever gear equipment I needed 20 of discouraged me. I'll probably give him another go, I can use a second healer now and then on (or after) a particularly hard stage on GW.

Thanks for the replies.
  • JC was kinda a pain to get to gear 6, as there were a lot of little pieces. I was having a hard time beating gw consistently, so I invested some time in him, and was shocked at how easy gear 7 and gear 8 came for him once you get past 6. Since investing the time, I haven't lost GW since, and he is an integral part of it.
  • JC is better than Barris in GW .. more dmg, drain on special, and very very very oft heals .. cooldown is crazy, this the the most important thing in GW. With Barris if you face AOE teams you`re screwed, her heal is useless. Lumi+Jc and third healer helps a lot, i use Daka (stuns+revive). Add Sid and another DD (in my case is a 5* Dooku) and you win GW everyday.

My JC is lvl 70 .. 7* max gear with 5306 power.
    2100 dmg on main atk(non crit)
    3000 on crit,
    2700 dmg on special,
    4500 heal.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    JC heals 4500 every 3 turns at 70 7* VIII and skill 7. Barris heal 1920 to Jedis and 950 go non Jedi every turn without doing anything at all, just with his leadership aura, at 70 7* VIII skill 7. Plus also has his health equalization nd a proc when she attacks. JC does more damage, but Barris healing is massive if highly developed
  • Privatzel wrote: »
    JC is better than Barris in GW .. more dmg, drain on special, and very very very oft heals .. cooldown is crazy, this the the most important thing in GW. With Barris if you face AOE teams you`re screwed, her heal is useless. Lumi+Jc and third healer helps a lot, i use Daka (stuns+revive). Add Sid and another DD (in my case is a 5* Dooku) and you win GW everyday.

My JC is lvl 70 .. 7* max gear with 5306 power.
    2100 dmg on main atk(non crit)
    3000 on crit,
    2700 dmg on special,
    4500 heal.

this.
    to sum it up, take the blackest jedi in the galaxy to 6 - 7* asap because he's really good in GW (arguably the best source of shards of the game)
  • Mougish wrote: »
    JC was kinda a pain to get to gear 6, as there were a lot of little pieces. I was having a hard time beating gw consistently, so I invested some time in him, and was shocked at how easy gear 7 and gear 8 came for him once you get past 6. Since investing the time, I haven't lost GW since, and he is an integral part of it.

Yes, that's the trick. I also bit the bullet and made him gear VII and surprise, there are a lot of good things in there!

I use him now and then, when I have a fight that's too short for a full cycle of Lumi's cooldown, or I need a booster, usually in the battles 4-7. He still dies very quickly / often though (the AI really targets him a lot, same with Talia actually), but I'm happy if his sacrifice helps the other guys get out with full health.
  • Just my cents:
    I run GW with
    7* Lum
    6* JC
    6* Daka
    6* Gen Soldier (He did get 50 purple cuffs so that his speed can get to 149)
    6* Dooku
    All level 70, all maxed gear for their level (except /50 purple gear with one exception as noted above)

I have yet to fail finishing GW for the last 60+ days (of course I need to send in suicide squads against crazy QGJ/Dooku/GS/Rey/Leia teams). JC is worth starring, gearing up unless you can already do GW with ease. Definitely max his Heal cooldown and utilize his basic whenever the Heal cooldown says 2 because if it procs, you can heal on his next turn. He is not useful for Arena.