CG do you have a plan for the Vader problem?

What I mean by "Vader problem":

1. He is presented as the ultimate reward, being restricted only through achievements. For such a long road, he comes off as very disappointing once unlocked.
2. He is very weak at 4-5* compared to the top toons of the average account at the moment of Vader's unlocking.
3. Do you have a way yet to identify WHO have him at above 5* or does the game's structure keep you from seeing what's going on in our clients?
4. Do you have a plan to ever fix #3 or will this game be forever open season for cheaters?

I'm afraid fixing #3 is too much trouble so CG will prefer to see how long they can manage as is. Which means, tough luck for Vader. He was a mistake which takes too many resources to fix.

What I would like to see:

1. Cheaters identified and banned.
2. Vader being available through the shard shop's new currency with an appropriate exchange rate PROVIDED...
3. ...he becomes USEFUL for starters and awesome afterwards, accordingly to how tough it is to get him, star him up. Specifically I would see his force crush aoe applying a taunt as well. That would turn him to a competent tank, and also would mean he would have to survive the following round in order to throw his one shot culling blade. Besides, a sith team needs a tank and it's getting old seeing Poe in EVERY end game team.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Darth Vader is not bad even at 4 star. I find plenty of uses for him in Galactic Warfare and in the harder Dar Side battles.
  • Big 4* Vader fan... Stack on the negative buffs and watch culling blade hit for 5k damage..
  • Darth Vader is not bad even at 4 star. I find plenty of uses for him in Galactic Warfare and in the harder Dar Side battles.

Exactly, but he has no place in our meta arena team. I would love to replace Poe with Vader.
  • Simsurf wrote: »
    Big 4* Vader fan... Stack on the negative buffs and watch culling blade hit for 5k damage..

5k? Try 10k with 5 or 6 negative buffs and a crit. And then a follow-up Basic after someone dies.

He's strong at 5*, even with lower power.

Also, there's a whole thread devoted to how they are dealing with cheaters/exploiters.
  • Please add "arena in op or else everything about "weak "is totally off. We were told exploiters were identified and lost Vader, no idea if any other punishment, hope so!
  • Deimos wrote: »
    Darth Vader is not bad even at 4 star. I find plenty of uses for him in Galactic Warfare and in the harder Dar Side battles.

Exactly, but he has no place in our meta arena team. I would love to replace Poe with Vader.

Every character isn't going to be viable in the current meta, but they are buffing DOTS so you may see more of him after the patch.
  • In game vader is an attacker, hence his skillset
  • Wazlinski wrote: »
    Please add "arena in op or else everything about "weak "is totally off. We were told exploiters were identified and lost Vader, no idea if any other punishment, hope so!

The exploiters did not lose Vader. All 6 and 7 star Vaders have been automatically been weakened to 5 stars. The problem is that they can't tell what's going on in our clients, so they can't punish the cheaters. They can only put out a universal nerf that negates their ilegitimate bonus.
    Wazlinski wrote: »
    Please add "arena in op or else everything about "weak "is totally off. We were told exploiters were identified and lost Vader, no idea if any other punishment, hope so!

The exploiters did not lose Vader. All 6 and 7 star Vaders have been automatically been weakened to 5 stars. The problem is that they can't tell what's going on in our clients, so they can't punish the cheaters. They can only put out a universal nerf that negates their ilegitimate bonus.

They also said they're systematically going through accounts that have 6 or 7* Vader.

Which is probably why you haven't seen more achievements yet. I would bet they're checking accounts individually, removing those MAD GAINZ, and then marking them for server transfer or account deletion.

Hopefully when that's done they'll add achievements for more shards and lift the star restriction.

• Aluxendr wrote: »
    Deimos wrote: »

They also said they're systematically going through accounts that have 6 or 7* Vader.

Which is probably why you haven't seen more achievements yet. I would bet they're checking accounts individually, removing those MAD GAINZ, and then marking them for server transfer or account deletion.

Hopefully when that's done they'll add achievements for more shards and lift the star restriction.

I honestly hope that's the case. But the manpower needed to check accounts INDIVIDUALLY is prohibiting salary-wise. The problem is there isn't apparently the database to do it all with a few clicks. It's a programming set up fault.
  • Simsurf wrote: »
    Big 4* Vader fan... Stack on the negative buffs and watch culling blade hit for 5k damage..

Work him with Sid and IG88 and watch the enemies melt away... :)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Jaqen_Hghar
    491 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    What I mean by "Vader problem":

1. He is presented as the ultimate reward, being restricted only through achievements. For such a long road, he comes off as very disappointing once unlocked.
    2. He is very weak at 4-5* compared to the top toons of the average account at the moment of Vader's unlocking.
    3. Do you have a way yet to identify WHO have him at above 5* or does the game's structure keep you from seeing what's going on in our clients?
    4. Do you have a plan to ever fix #3 or will this game be forever open season for cheaters?

I'm afraid fixing #3 is too much trouble so CG will prefer to see how long they can manage as is. Which means, tough luck for Vader. He was a mistake which takes too many resources to fix.

What I would like to see:

1. Cheaters identified and banned.
    2. Vader being available through the shard shop's new currency with an appropriate exchange rate PROVIDED...
    3. ...he becomes USEFUL for starters and awesome afterwards, accordingly to how tough it is to get him, star him up. Specifically I would see his force crush aoe applying a taunt as well. That would turn him to a competent tank, and also would mean he would have to survive the following round in order to throw his one shot culling blade. Besides, a sith team needs a tank and it's getting old seeing Poe in EVERY end game team.

Thanks for reading.

Even though he isn't useful regarding sticking him into the current meta for competitive arena, he is useful for many situations and fun to use:

1). DS battles - Even if you have multiple 7* toons, I use vader in high-end DS battles and save his abilities for the boss round.
    2). GW - He's one of my main secret weapons. Pulling off his combo in a hard fight against 6-7 star level 68+ opponents is fun as hell
    3). Regular/casual arena - I'm on one of the original servers and still stick Vader into my team for random battles because I find him very useful and fun.

Notice the many uses of the word "I". At the end of the day, many posts are subjective. I understand your frustration and the fact that you want to be able to use him as part of the competitive meta for arena, but you have to appreciate his usefulness in other aspects of the game :)
    Aluxendr wrote: »

I honestly hope that's the case. But the manpower needed to check accounts INDIVIDUALLY is prohibiting salary-wise. The problem is there isn't apparently the database to do it all with a few clicks. It's a programming set up fault.

I mean, that's what interns are for.

Also, if a system wasn't in place before to check player accounts, it really shouldn't be too hard for them to program one(It would be a really easy series of If statements, at a minimum). That might be what we're waiting on, an update through Google+/IOS (which can take months to get approval) for them to implement a system.
  • Jaqen_Hghar
    491 posts Member
    edited February 2016

Also, if a system wasn't in place before to check player accounts, it really shouldn't be too hard for them to program one(It would be a really easy series of If statements, at a minimum). That might be what we're waiting on, an update through Google+/IOS (which can take months to get approval) for them to implement a system.

Yep. It could be a real-time monitoring system that is programmed to search for specific queries. Another possibility could be a sort of access control type system where players clients are scanned as they connect. The scan allows the servers to see player data and look for potential anomalies.

We know nothing of EA/CG's IT infrastructure and associated resources, so we can only speculate from the outside and offer very general input. Either way, I do agree that programming will need to be involved to create a custom solution from scratch, or acquire an already made solution and tailor it to the companies needs. Perfect scenario for EA/CG to implement some CMMI Agile processes, unless they already do :)

Yep. It could be a real-time monitoring system that is programmed to search for specific queries. Another possibility could be a sort of access control type system where players clients are scanned as they connect. The scan allows the servers to see player data and look for potential anomalies.

We know nothing of EA/CG's IT infrastructure and associated resources, so we can only speculate from the outside and offer very general input. Either way, I do agree that programming will need to be involved to create a custom solution from scratch, or acquire an already made solution and tailor it to the companies needs.

It seems like right now there isn't any real-time monitoring, and they probably don't want to expend the resources to monitor that since hacking isn't so prevalent as to destroy the game community.

They probably didn't have code in place to track and record shard gain metrics by player, and that's what they need to put in (which I would imagine requires G+/iOS approval, since it's tracking data from your phone).

We know nothing of EA/CG's IT infrastructure and associated resources, so we can only speculate from the outside and offer very general input. Either way, I do agree that programming will need to be involved to create a custom solution from scratch, or acquire an already made solution and tailor it to the companies needs.

It seems like right now there isn't any real-time monitoring, and they probably don't want to expend the resources to monitor that since hacking isn't so prevalent as to destroy the game community.

They probably didn't have code in place to track and record shard gain metrics by player, and that's what they need to put in (which I would imagine requires G+/iOS approval, since it's tracking data from your phone).

Yep. All of the above sound plausible.
  • I doubt CG will provide additional methods for Vader Shards (i.e. more achievements, shard exchange) until they can downgrade 6* and 7* Vaders, which doesn't seem to be currently possible. Granted, they were able to identify the exploiters and sent out an automated message which means there could still be hope. Until then the rest of us are stuck with a 4*/5* Vader.

I believe this was the message:

12510439_656971341112466_6346693382365073770_n.jpg?oh=f549e95fa48f9fa7c471615e109d22df&oe=574994A1
  • I doubt CG will provide additional methods for Vader Shards (i.e. more achievements, shard exchange) until they can downgrade 6* and 7* Vaders, which doesn't seem to be currently possible. Granted, they were able to identify the exploiters and sent out an automated message which means there could still be hope. Until then the rest of us are stuck with a 4*/5* Vader.

I believe this was the message:

12510439_656971341112466_6346693382365073770_n.jpg?oh=f549e95fa48f9fa7c471615e109d22df&oe=574994A1

How did get that??

That's very promising for sure! Even though it reads as "stay cool from now and on and you're cool"
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Vader is a great toon. He's great even at 4* in everything but arena. Most toons are not viable in that setting because of the meta.

How did get that??

That's very promising for sure! Even though it reads as "stay cool from now and on and you're cool"

I believe the screenshot was posted on reddit. Hopefully there will be further action taken.

Character progression (stars, shards, gear, level/xp, etc) are certainly stored server side. Otherwise the game would be hopelessly insecure.

• Jugilismaani
    64 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    -
    Post edited by Jugilismaani on
  • I think Vader is perfect. He is the only character atm that can be only obtained by achiements and cannot be bought. Starring Vader will be a very slow project, it will probably take 1-3 years to get him to 7* depending on how many shards we get from achievements after the current ones. And I like it.

Same! I just hope he isn't obsolete due to power creep by that time.
  • I like the idea of vader being able to taunt with his aoe.
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Vader is an attacker, not a tank.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Vader is an attacker, not a tank.

So is Luminara...
  • Vader may not have a place in the maxed out Arenas, but I use him and I have been top 10 in Arena for more than a month. I have him at 4*, GL 8(4/6), Abilities 6663, power 4247. Im level 69 and I am just starting to see level 70 players on my server. I use him with Sid, Kylo, Poe, and Phasma lead. Vader has a 70% potency to lay down 3 DOT attacks with his AoE. Sid's AoE can inflict 2 more. Kylo's base attack can inflict another. Sprinkle in Vader's basic attack ability block, Sid and Kylo's basic attack heal immunity, and this becomes a beast of a team to take down. The DOT effects are FATAL now. This team is tanky and hard to take down fast especially with your own health being eaten away with DOT acid. Add in Poe's taunt, nerfed or not, and you got 1st place. Never let it be said that Vader is no good for Arena.
    Character Name: Nofaultius
  • Some people are getting close to a 5* Vader legitimately. Maybe we will see him more.
  • Slightly off topic, but, doe any one the cheaters have 7* stats of vader? lol