Seriously are we in the dark ages...

Prev1
Ok now I am no crusader by any means, but I just typed the word 'gay' in igc and it got censored.

I find that completely unacceptable. Can this be sorted out please.

Replies

• Ok now I am no crusader by any means, but I just typed the word 'gay' in igc and it got censored.

Thank the PC "my feelings get easily hurt" millennial people of today for the censorship we are now seeing everywhere.

When I was growing up my mother told me a story about sticks and stones and how words can't hurt me. I'm guessing their parents didn't. So they banded together to make the world as they see it "a better place". Basically you can't say nothing anymore without some sort of backlash or phobic added to whatever word they wanna describe you as.

It's so pathetic its sickening.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I typed in something and it also was censored. Even here. Wow. That's pathetic!
    Post edited by Mageduckey on
  • Can someone with greater technological skill than me tag one of the ea team in this thread pls? I think it's probably an oversight, but imo it needs rectifying. I cant imagine that it would get past legal in a lot of places. Including the UK. But I'm no expert
  • Can someone with greater technological skill than me tag one of the ea team in this thread pls? I think it's probably an oversight, but imo it needs rectifying. I cant imagine that it would get past legal in a lot of places. Including the UK. But I'm no expert

It isn't getting censored because they are discriminating against it, it is getting censored because people use it as an insult. All the standard childish insults are censored on the forums and in game.
  • Not quite the point, but I see where you're coming from. It's the fact that it's censored when its a term that is relevant to a protected characteristic (in the UK) that's the issue. Not sure how it relates to other areas, as I say I'm not an expert.
  • I tried to type 69 as in the level i could farm wedge in game and it was censored. . . .

How far will they go?
  • Well look it seems that noone else seems to think this is a problem, I was just hoping to flag it up to ea so they could check it wasn't a potentially problematic oversight, I think it is. If noone can help flag it up then I appreciate i'm out on a limb here.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Because people are more likely to use it as an insult than a reference to their sexuality
  • Co me is also censored.
  • HorishBathens
    631 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Edit because I don't care, but yes, this chat system was designed by a 10 year old for 5 year olds.
  • jm21
    72 posts Member
    While there may be some disagreements on what is enough, overall you are on their forum. If you don't like how they censor things then well *shrugs*. I assume somewhere deep in the terms and conditions is a clause that says this forum has the right to censor and delete anything they deem to be ____.
  • I am very glad you asked that question...
    I wasn't. I started off saying that bodhi rook reminded me of maria vidal, then that gar saxon reminded me of pirate Steve from dodgeball, then that UK prime minister Theresa may reminded me of the song enola gay by omd.
  • Han_Brolo81
    518 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I see censoring use of the word 'gay' because I don't really see any use of it in game other than to be insulting. While I don't think there should be any censorship, if some exists that makes sense. That being said some of their censorship is definitely too far. I remember back in the day assist was censored ign despite being a feature of the game. Stupid should definitely not be censored in my opinion. Some other things I'm sure but that's the first example that comes to mind. If I'm not mistaken there are content advisories as with any game. If parents are concerned about their kids seeing the f word in an online game then they need to be a parent for a change and tell their kids that's not appropriate or not let them play instead of expecting EA to raise their kids for them.

Edit: the opposite of smart was the blurred word. That's pathetic that I have to do this
  • i'm glad they censor words. those kinds of words shouldn't be used and do hurt peoples feelings.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I don't think reddit censors stuff, since it advertises to users to pay for the website hosting. I can't really complain about censorship on this site since it is free to use
  • Personally I can't see a valid reason to use the word 'gay' in game unless you are wanting to express your own sexuality. Otherwise it is used as an insult to other people or to describe something being 'stupid'. And when doing that you are also insulting other people's sexuality. Either way there is actually no need to swear in this game -at a function of the game, an outcome of an action or at other players. Most games seem to have some sort of filtering system. If people don't like that they just need to find other language to use to describe their feelings.

Like it or not this game is not R rated. It is marketed at all ages and as such it has pretty strong filters. It also does not have an in game social aspect either e.g. world chat etc. I believe this is intentional to stop the harassment of other players which has marred many other games.

I am no angel myself. I do swear, among other things, but I try to avoid doing so in front of my children. In many ways the world has gone PC mad, but I don't think filtering out insulting language in this game is an example of this.
  • The worst one is when it stars part of a word out because it contains certain letters in a certain order.

I can't think of any of the top of my head but have been replying to guild mates and have stars in my reply more than once.

Then you have people who post words they shouldn't by replacing letters with something similar.
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm just LMFAO cause you actually use the in-game chat, much less to swear. :D
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • As I said, I'm no crusader. Also I am not against all censorship. And I don't like the idea of people being bullied. In UK law, there are certain characteristics that are protected, which meant that discrimination against people based on those things is illegal. Sexuality is one as is gender, race, age and some others. I don't know but if a UK business were to censor the word gay then they may be at risk of behaving illegally. Idk if that's the same anywhere else in the world.

Maybe its just a consequence of what I am used to, but it just doesn't seem right.

I am not trying to cause trouble, and I can see I am in the minority here. I am also big and ugly enough to accept that my view may not be right. So I'm going to shut up now.

Except to say I have explained why I used the word gay in the first place, above
    I wasn't. I started off saying that bodhi rook reminded me of maria vidal, then that gar saxon reminded me of pirate Steve from dodgeball, then that UK prime minister Theresa may reminded me of the song enola gay by omd.

I'm going to try and take your word for that: I just have a hard time believing you were really using in-game chat for such a lengthy conversation.

On the other hand, isn't it odd you can say words here on the forums that you can't in-game?
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • My only real complaint about the in-game chat filter is that it is way too hardcore for who can see it. Minors can't even see the in-game chat so words are being censored that aren't even considered swear words... so that adults can't see them.

I'm going to try and take your word for that: I just have a hard time believing you were really using in-game chat for such a lengthy conversation.

On the other hand, isn't it odd you can say words here on the forums that you can't in-game?

It's true, I can screenshot it if you really need the proof, but I would have thought that the randomness of it would ring true! We have discord too but not everyone is on it
  • Why not just a toggle for the censor?
  • Noizeman
    57 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    As an ex-moderator for a couple of popular online games, I can attest that chat filtering cuts down on a HUGE amount of complaints (and, admittedly, moderation work!). In an ideal world it wouldn't be necessary of course, but people on the internet have a depressing tendency to let go and come up with some of the nastiest trash talk that they can, just because it's anonymous. I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and be swamped in pseudo-macho posturing fools trying to make one another cry.
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Noizeman wrote: »
    As an ex-moderator for a couple of popular online games, I can attest that chat filtering cuts down on a HUGE amount of complaints (and, admittedly, moderation work!). In an ideal world it wouldn't be necessary of course, but people on the internet have a depressing tendency to let go and come up with some of the nastiest trash talk that they can, just because it's anonymous. I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and be swamped in pseudo-macho posturing fools trying to make one another cry.

That argument would hold true for this game IF we were allowed to chat outside our guilds.

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Serrera88
    61 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Thank God you still can write *g*a*y*

The chat can just be used if you are in a guild. If someone insults another kick him, problem solved. Kids under the age of 13 or 14 don't have an ingame chat, so where is the problem.

Edit: use polish and spanish, the are not censored yet
    Post edited by Mageduckey on
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Personally I can't see a valid reason to use the word 'gay' in game unless you are wanting to express your own sexuality. Otherwise it is used as an insult to other people or to describe something being '****'. And when doing that you are also insulting other people's sexuality. Either way there is actually no need to swear in this game -at a function of the game, an outcome of an action or at other players. Most games seem to have some sort of filtering system. If people don't like that they just need to find other language to use to describe their feelings.

Like it or not this game is not R rated. It is marketed at all ages and as such it has pretty strong filters. It also does not have an in game social aspect either e.g. world chat etc. I believe this is intentional to stop the harassment of other players which has marred many other games.

I am no angel myself. I do swear, among other things, but I try to avoid doing so in front of my children. In many ways the world has gone PC mad, but I don't think filtering out insulting language in this game is an example of this.

This guy gets it
  • Ok now I am no crusader by any means, but I just typed the word 'gay' in igc and it got censored.

Thank the PC "my feelings get easily hurt" millennial people of today for the censorship we are now seeing everywhere.

When I was growing up my mother told me a story about sticks and stones and how words can't hurt me. I'm guessing their parents didn't. So they banded together to make the world as they see it "a better place". Basically you can't say nothing anymore without some sort of backlash or phobic added to whatever word they wanna describe you as.

Al Gore did a study on words, and with using his science, words CAN hurt you.
  • ABNRAS
    564 posts Member
    Ok now I am no crusader by any means, but I just typed the word 'gay' in igc and it got censored.

Al Gore did a study on words, and with using his science, words CAN hurt you.

Was that after he invented the Internet? LOL