How is releasing premium characters into one late game hard mode considered F2P?

Don't get me wrong, I love that we have a structure going forward when it comes to the premium characters moving into F2P. But how can that justify making them almost impossibly 7*able in under a year... just because they have a structure?

Leia, Jinn, Maul, Rex, Sun Fac - Examples of characters who were premium, then moved into fair positions for those who waited. Nihilus, Baze and Shoretrooper are almost impossible to farm in a fair amount of time while playing F2P...

What are people thoughts?

And no this isn't related to the update.. This is general discussion of a new feature we've had for months, so it shouldn't be thrown into the megathread.

Replies

• There's a chance at least some of them will eventually get rotated through guild/fleet store or wherever. For now, it allows them to give us the illusion of them being free to play while still keeping them premium (so people spend $$)
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    As a completely FTP player, I'm fine with it. It gives people something to work towards. These are very strong toons that shouldn't be made available to every joe shmoe who started playing a month ago. Yes, they take a long time to farm, and yes ptp players will have an advantage, but isn't that the point of paying?
  • HK47isLife wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I love that we have a structure going forward when it comes to the premium characters moving into F2P. But how can that justify making them almost impossibly 7*able in under a year... just because they have a structure?

Leia, Jinn, Maul, Rex, Sun Fac - Examples of characters who were premium, then moved into fair positions for those who waited. Nihilus, Baze and Shoretrooper are almost impossible to farm in a fair amount of time while playing F2P...

And no this isn't related to the update.. This is general discussion of a new feature we've had for months, so it shouldn't be thrown into the megathread.

Agreed. It'll be a year at least until I have Baze 7*. Heck, considering I've gotten exactly 2 shards in the past 7 days (all 3 battles every day), it may be a year until I have him unlocked!
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    As a completely FTP player, I'm fine with it. It gives people something to work towards. These are very strong toons that shouldn't be made available to every joe shmoe who started playing a month ago. Yes, they take a long time to farm, and yes ptp players will have an advantage, but isn't that the point of paying?

I agree, that playing FTP is the idea of working towards getting the best toons rather than getting them straight away for cash. But one late game hard node is a step too far in my eyes, it's unfair as it's not a fun grind, it's a ridiculous grind.
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    HK47isLife wrote: »

Agreed. It'll be a year at least until I have Baze 7*. Heck, considering I've gotten exactly 2 shards in the past 7 days (all 3 battles every day), it may be a year until I have him unlocked!

Exactly this! A year is wayyy too excessive. 6 months at best...
  • If you can get it without spending a dime, then IMO, it's f2p. If they hand them out like candy, then we need a new term line e2g... Easy to get. See Cassian.
  • jm21
    72 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »

I agree, that playing FTP is the idea of working towards getting the best toons rather than getting them straight away for cash. But one late game hard node is a step too far in my eyes, it's unfair as it's not a fun grind, it's a ridiculous grind.

Plus the fact how difficult it is to get to those late game hard nodes. I am not a FTP player, have spent some money just to have some more success. But it has been close to 5 months since I have started, and I am still a far away from being able to make it to level 9 hard nodes.
  • Veritasum wrote: »
    If you can get it without spending a dime, then IMO, it's f2p. If they hand them out like candy, then we need a new term line e2g... Easy to get. See Cassian.

Over a year of farming is candy? I agree we need to work for it as free to play, but this is way too much.
  • jm21 wrote: »

Plus the fact how difficult it is to get to those late game hard nodes. I am not a FTP player, have spent some money just to have some more success. But it has been close to 5 months since I have started, and I am still a far away from being able to make it to level 9 hard nodes.

Shoretroopers node is stupidly difficult xD
  • People are paying a premium price for these toons. If you make a toon easy to acquire a month after release, then you take away the incentive to buy these characters.
  • Im free to play i have 3 star all of them! Rebels and try to borrow a g.k!
  • you only need them at 4* to be top 5 arena viable
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    They're considered F2P because anyone can farm them if they choose to without spending a cent
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!

From initial release, to 7*, assuming no spending crystals in shipments, it took at least a year to get Rex and Maul 7* for a F2P.
  • StarwarsrawratS
    206 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I am getting tired of these threads and people whining and complaining. The characters are farmable!!! If you have a decent arena rank you can buy shards from shipments, depending on your arena rank, anywhere from 8 a day to 4 every other day. It's not fair to the whales/light spenders who buy the packs and crystals to farm them to flood the market with the best toons. If you are f2p and can take first you can 4* the toon in 10 days with out farming a hard node, and if you can get top 200 in 40 days.
  • I am getting tired of these threads and people whining and complaining. The characters are farmable!!! If you have a decent arena rank you can buy shards from shipments, depending on your arena rank, anywhere from 8 a day to 4 every other day. It's not fair to the whales/light spenders who buy the packs and crystals to farm them to flood the market with the best toons. If you are f2p and can take first you can 4* the toon in 10 days with out farming a hard node, and if you can get top 200 in 40 days.

I'm in a December 2015 shard, I'm lucky to get top 25.
    I am getting tired of these threads and people whining and complaining. The characters are farmable!!! If you have a decent arena rank you can buy shards from shipments, depending on your arena rank, anywhere from 8 a day to 4 every other day. It's not fair to the whales/light spenders who buy the packs and crystals to farm them to flood the market with the best toons. If you are f2p and can take first you can 4* the toon in 10 days with out farming a hard node, and if you can get top 200 in 40 days.

I'm in a December 2015 shard, I'm lucky to get top 25.

That's 300 crystals every other day with out the ones from daily's, GW, or your prize box. Like I said it's not hard to farm someone like baze if you really want to.
  • Y'know, while one character got one Hard Mode, two characters got Cantina Nodes.

You're not complaining that toons aren't moving to F2P. You're complaining that your favorite toon isn't easy enough to farm.

They can't all be in GW. One, late-game hard node is not really F2P. But if people want to, and they've got nothing better to do with their energy, they can burn some of it on that hard node every day. As long as the node provides opportunity for 2 different salvage that you need, the fact that it's double cost is okay: you're farming 2 gear at once. So you just take the gear and any shards you get are a bonus above and beyond the normal cost of gear farming.

Then, when it comes out as a rare character in the Guild Store or something, you've got 30 or shards already. Then, a couple months later, when the character gets a Cantina node or gets moved into another store, you've got 80-100 shards and you can quickly 5* the beast and move on to 6* and 7* much faster than those people who did nothing while waiting for the toon to move all the way into cantina nodes/ GW store.

I'm much more concerned with not giving enough gear to g7/g8 all the toons you need to participate in all the content. You have to get droids to get Jawas and you have to get Jawas to get mods, there's a whole cascade like that. And how many Mk3 Holo Projectors does that require?

If they are going to have faction-only play that is vital to progress (as in the Mod challenges), then the super-commonly required gear has to be more accessible.

But having 5-10 toons that are only P2P move really slowly into F2P instead of quickly into F2P? As long as none of those toons are the 5th toons in a faction of only 5 toons, it's not a problem.
  • Y'know, while one character got one Hard Mode, two characters got Cantina Nodes.

You're not complaining that toons aren't moving to F2P. You're complaining that your favorite toon isn't easy enough to farm.

They can't all be in GW. One, late-game hard node is not really F2P. But if people want to, and they've got nothing better to do with their energy, they can burn some of it on that hard node every day. As long as the node provides opportunity for 2 different salvage that you need, the fact that it's double cost is okay: you're farming 2 gear at once. So you just take the gear and any shards you get are a bonus above and beyond the normal cost of gear farming.

Then, when it comes out as a rare character in the Guild Store or something, you've got 30 or shards already. Then, a couple months later, when the character gets a Cantina node or gets moved into another store, you've got 80-100 shards and you can quickly 5* the beast and move on to 6* and 7* much faster than those people who did nothing while waiting for the toon to move all the way into cantina nodes/ GW store.

I'm much more concerned with not giving enough gear to g7/g8 all the toons you need to participate in all the content. You have to get droids to get Jawas and you have to get Jawas to get mods, there's a whole cascade like that. And how many Mk3 Holo Projectors does that require?

If they are going to have faction-only play that is vital to progress (as in the Mod challenges), then the super-commonly required gear has to be more accessible.

But having 5-10 toons that are only P2P move really slowly into F2P instead of quickly into F2P? As long as none of those toons are the 5th toons in a faction of only 5 toons, it's not a problem.

I thoroughly agree with you on the gear point!
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited April 2017

From initial release, to 7*, assuming no spending crystals in shipments, it took at least a year to get Rex and Maul 7* for a F2P.
    Huh? We're not talking about buying from shipments with crystals. We're talking about farming. Between Fleet shipments and guild shipments I had Rex done in 2 months, and Maul will be done after 3/4.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • DarkLord7
    241 posts Member

I agree. It is entirely fair, ESPECIALLY because they added so many of the old pay to acquire characters to the Fleet Store. Look at Rex, Zam, Maul, even Chirrut now. Just be patient and grow. Though the light side hard battles could use little nerfing... If I had characters half as strong, I would be immortal
    jm21 wrote: »

Shoretroopers node is **** difficult xD

Yeah ive got all other node 3* so i can farm but this one is so wrong i barelly can do 2* and this is when they kill the assisting leader instead of my characters cuz i loose at least guys like they are gears8 while they are 10/11.... that node is kinda lame... if u dont use like wiggs with lando GL!!!!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

I thought the same thing myself - cant access these nodes yet - certainly not without GK - which is yet another problem.