The death of Zaul just means the rise of Nihilus (and Zader)

Prev1
Zooey
1607 posts Member
From R2's abilities, it seems like he (or she) will be the chosen one and singlehandedly restore balance to the force. R2 stops them from evading AND provides a free cleanse for your toons provided they can crit the enemy team, which eliminates most of what makes Zaul great.

Neverthless, anyone who thinks that this means that the dark side is dead and Rex will rule arena needs to re-evaluate the purpose of a cleanse team. Cleanse only works if there are debuffs to purge, and Nihilus works without needing them. Moreover, cleanse teams - especially the Rex, Chaze, GK, DN variation - lack for damage. Chirrut is the only one on that team capable of hitting for more than 10k a pop, and annihilate is a 8 cd wonder that relies on being sped up by the other team critting you, which a Nihilus lead team won't do.

If Nihilus becomes the meta, what then is the anti-Nihilus? Given their reliance on health steal and health pools, Zader Zidious becomes the natural choice. Both of these toons are also fairly solid versus Rex teams, especially in combination with a Boba.

Otherwise, Resistance gets a boost with the introduction of R2 to cleanse them, and Phoenix toons might actually become usable. Overall, however, I don't think it will be nearly as light side oriented of a meta as people have been suggesting.

Replies

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    My DN crits for 11-12k every basic. Just saying
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Zylo is the one true meta.

All hail the Zylo

HAIL
  • SubzeeeDon wrote: »
    Zylo is the one true meta.

All hail the Zylo

HAIL

zylo is overrated as is nihilus.
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    zidious and anyone that can block healing like EP. The meta is moving toward Rock Paper Scissors. Or Rex Zaul Nihilus. Until Luke comes, then they're all in trouble.
  • unit900000 wrote: »
    SubzeeeDon wrote: »
    Zylo is the one true meta.

All hail the Zylo

HAIL

zylo is overrated as is nihilus.

Lol Nihilus overrated... ha ha ha
  • Resistance has Finn to cleanse. Zaul is great because of stealth...not always being able to take out nihilus in time for example. Rng has to be in favor sometimes with that **** annihilate
  • R2 only adds accuracy at 10% so that'll put Sith evasion at 10% which still isn't bad. Also Sith will still stealth, gain turn meter on evades or crits and get the first turn speed bump. So Maul leads are not dead. Also, my Sith team doesn't rely on debuffs to win and most Sith teams are used to playing cleanse tenacity teams where they don't inflict debuffs anyway. In all R2 helps yeah but isn't the answer to completely shutting down Sith. Maybe he'll help bring other faction/comps to compete higher though. He certainly looks like a good jack of all trades kinda toon where he can fit on multiple teams. I don't think he's OP though, pretty well balanced.
  • DarthApok wrote: »
    R2 only adds accuracy at 10% so that'll put Sith evasion at 10% which still isn't bad. Also Sith will still stealth, gain turn meter on evades or crits and get the first turn speed bump. So Maul leads are not dead. Also, my Sith team doesn't rely on debuffs to win and most Sith teams are used to playing cleanse tenacity teams where they don't inflict debuffs anyway. In all R2 helps yeah but isn't the answer to completely shutting down Sith. Maybe he'll help bring other faction/comps to compete higher though. He certainly looks like a good jack of all trades kinda toon where he can fit on multiple teams. I don't think he's OP though, pretty well balanced.

+1 agreed
  • Zaul will still be meta.
  • I do think this hurts Sith Trooper though. It will be tough for him to keep his taunt.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    I love you.
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Zaul will still be meta.

Actually, not that I think about it, the new meta will probably be rexL, chaze,gk,r2. No more zaul teams.
  • Any
    428 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    DarthApok wrote: »
    R2 only adds accuracy at 10% so that'll put Sith evasion at 10% which still isn't bad. Also Sith will still stealth, gain turn meter on evades or crits and get the first turn speed bump. So Maul leads are not dead. Also, my Sith team doesn't rely on debuffs to win and most Sith teams are used to playing cleanse tenacity teams where they don't inflict debuffs anyway. In all R2 helps yeah but isn't the answer to completely shutting down Sith. Maybe he'll help bring other faction/comps to compete higher though. He certainly looks like a good jack of all trades kinda toon where he can fit on multiple teams. I don't think he's OP though, pretty well balanced.

+1 agreed

IMO, nahhh R2D2 is sucks10% is very less, this will be most disappoint toons release for Iconic one.

Just IMO, I may be very wrong , hope so.
  • Khelsa
    20 posts Member
    Its not only +%10 accuracy. He has a special that inflicts burning which minimizes evade chances
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    R2 is defined to balance arena. We'll maybe see less zMaul, but they still will be competitive. But some other leader will come back as zVader, DN, zQG and GK.

A GK's lead with Fives, Rex, Cody and R2 can be good imo. More variety in arena is coming.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    3767011-maul+hurls+obi+wan.gif
  • R2 will be a nice addition for several arena squads. I Hope we will see more variety in the future. :)
    Winstar wrote: »

Don't live in the Past. ^^

Zaul Meta has ended with Rebels S3Ep20 xD
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    Arena is going to get a shake up. Quite a few F2P zMaul players that took advantage of the meta--going to tumble without alternate squads.
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    Also R2 don't really do squat for zMaul teams
  • Maul meta isn't over it's just going to be more balanced now. Btw I hope your profile pic is a joke.
  • honestly people just might start using chaze and zavage for zaul to cleanse his burning ability. there is all ready people using zavage with zaul on my server and he is a pain to deal with im really not looking forward to more of this guy lol.
  • Loken
    12 posts Member
    Don't be too proud of this new meta you've constructed. The ability to win in arena is insignificant next to the power of the Force...
  • I just like how he will buff my droid team personally.

Auto cleanse, bonus accuracy, protection. and health. He can make everyone go stealth except K2S0 who will give R2 double buffs being a Rebel Droid and everyone else by default. He seems like he'll shore up all their weaknesses. Going to be fun finding the ideal comp with him in it.
  • Winstar wrote: »

Ahh, Maul, you are half the man you used to be.
  • Jimbob
    62 posts Member
    Khelsa wrote: »
    Its not only +%10 accuracy. He has a special that inflicts burning which minimizes evade chances

+ 1
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Zaul will still be meta.

Actually, not that I think about it, the new meta will probably be rexL, chaze,gk,r2. No more zaul teams.

That team does no damage and would be hard pressed to even beat a Nihilus team on offense. Again, mass cleanse was a counter to Zaul teams but it's not effective towards everything else.
  • Zooey wrote: »
    Zaul will still be meta.

That team does no damage and would be hard pressed to even beat a Nihilus team on offense. Again, mass cleanse was a counter to Zaul teams but it's not effective towards everything else.

Something tells me you don't play with a Rex team.

Granted, I don't think loading that team with an R2 AND a GK would be a good idea, but that's not the only available configuration.

The Rex team is not just about max cleanse, it's about tenacity up and other tricks. I don't have a GK yet, so I can't say whether my team would be better or worse with GK in it, but here's my team:

Rex (Lead), Chirrut, Baze, Palp, Nihilus

Rex and Chirrut's cleanse both add tenacity up; Chirrut if there weren't any debuffs on the team already. This helps against Zader, as well as Zaul, to protect against getting the DOTs Zader so loves. The other half of a great Zader team is that they reduce TM 50% of the time, which doesn't bother Rex because Zader teams will crit and give a Rex team TM. It evens out to the point that I wish there were more Zader teams on my shard because they are so easy to beat!

But something tells me you are more advocating for a Nihilus lead as the new meta. You may be right. However, to completely nullify a Rex lead (which people often forget also gives 10% max health to the team), you would need an entire team of sith. However, while Rex's leadership ability may no longer be as strong as it used to, the cleanses and tenacity up are still helpful against: Palp, Dooku, Nihilus' unique, Vader, Maul, Savage, Sidious. In other words, most of your sith. Baze and Nihilus help take care of Sith Trooper's taunt, and without Maul's stealth and evade, I'm free to pick off whoever I feel is most dangerous on your team, whether that be Nihilus, Sith Assassin, or the weakling Palp.

At least on a Chaze team, Baze is almost 100% taunting the entire time. People seem to forget Chirrut isn't just a cleanse, it's also a heal move that takes health off of him to redistribute, which makes Baze taunt. Palp's self-heal does the same, making Baze taunt and giving the team offense up. Or if it was GK instead of Palp, the team gets counter attack as well as another taunter, which means more damage.

No power? Have you seen Rex's Subdue in action when it's not dodged? Except for Kylo, it can rip a character apart. It gives halfway decent damage, plus bonus damage based on 25% of the enemy's max health. A Nihilus lead turns their protection into health, which means now instead of doing 5,000 extra damage, it does about 12,000 extra damage on top of the 6,000 it already did. Let's add Palp's offense up to the team and the only person not really doing damage is Baze. Oh, wait, Baze's AOE does an extra 25% damage to empire enemies and enemies not buffed. Since a Nihilus lead won't stealth the whole team, and they don't get advantage coming out of stealth, they get to do that 12,000 extra damage just like Rex's Subdue.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=g-uUDVM0QPQ

Courtesy of @Josh_K. A tanky Nihilus team like this one can easily outlast a standard Rex team. Rex's special does do extra damage versus them sure but it's not nearly enough.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Zooey wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=g-uUDVM0QPQ

Courtesy of @Josh_K. A tanky Nihilus team like this one can easily outlast a standard Rex team. Rex's special does do extra damage versus them sure but it's not nearly enough.

nice vid, but
    that dude has insane mods. just checked his Sass out of curiousity, 291 speed (that's +140). With those mods alot of teams can make the triple cleanse combo look like noobs.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    BulYwif wrote: »
    R2 is defined to balance arena. We'll maybe see less zMaul, but they still will be competitive. But some other leader will come back as zVader, DN, zQG and GK.

A GK's lead with Fives, Rex, Cody and R2 can be good imo. More variety in arena is coming.

Agreed. They needed to reign in zMaul. No one is interested in the latest new characters (Phoenix and Gar, IT) because they are ineffective against him right out of the gate. They must have been epic flops in terms of money made.