Old Ben can finally be 'Sacrificed'

With R2's 'smoke screen's ability, we can finally offer up Old Ben as a sacrifice. Not sure if this would actually make him worth a slot on a real team, but could make for some fun teams.

Replies

• Speedokillz
    575 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Special 1: Smoke Screen - Base: Target ally gains Foresight for 2 turns and all other allies have a 70-100% chance to gain Stealth for 2 turns. R2-D2 gains 10-40% Turn Meter. (Cooldown 5-4)

So you're thinking Old Ben would be the target to receive Foresight? Doesn't Foresight make the player immune to the next attack? Trying to understand the sacrifice...
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
    518 posts Member
    Special 1: Smoke Screen - Base: Target ally gains Foresight for 2 turns and all other allies have a 70-100% chance to gain Stealth for 2 turns. R2-D2 gains 10-40% Turn Meter. (Cooldown 5-4)

So you're thinking Old Ben would be the target to receive Foresight? Doesn't Foresight make the player immune to the next attack? Trying to understand the sacrifice...

If your squad is stealthed for 2 turns, he'll be the only target if there's no dispeller. But with foresight on them, they can avoid a AoE dispell. So yes, he'll be sacrificed.
  • Old Ben is a terrific tank. He would have Foresight on him the first attack and the second attack would rarely one shot him. Because this is a 2-turn effect with a 4-5 turn cooldown, I doubt the "sacrifice" would ever happen the way you would want it to.

• Assuming the stealth isn't dispelled, he would likely get hit 4-9 times before allies lose stealth. And we're talking about fighting AI here - they're going to use every special they can on the only target available. And if maul/zaul is present, there's a lot of damage going into Ben too.

I definitely don't think it's an arena tactic or anything. Just closest thing we've had to making Old Ben's unique useful. Maybe a fun tactic in GW to make it a little less monotonous.
  • Again, he's a tank. A good Old Ben is going to have a combined 40,000 health and protection... a great one is probably going to have 60k+.

So while I agree that opponents will be forced to attack him, you are still counting on no dispellers, AI to only use the highest damage attack instead of various other abilities that do not damage, and capable of of killing him in a very short window.

To make Old Ben really useful, he would need a kit similar to K-2SO.... Taunts when he attacks and counters when damaged. If you get a chance to put that team together and are successful, then nice work!

• evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Why don't you just put him in with low gear/level? He could be killed by an accidental AoE then as well, and wouldn't need the stealth.

I'm not a big fan of putting someone on my Arena team for them to die quickly to buff everyone else. I think Ol Ben's zeta needs to be that he starts the battle with decreased health/protection, and once he is struck down, he comes back more powerful than you could ever imagine. After giving everyone else the buffs, of course.
  • It would be nice to be able to remove all the gear/upgrades from him to try this... It would take a little more forethought to plan this approach! But agreed @evanbio that having a character on your team that you are trying to kill of is not a strong play...

The problem is that teams with Baze, who can mass dispel would have no problem with this team. I have seen "locked" buffs like Boba's and "locked" debuffs like in AAT raid so unless Old Ben going down and locking in the buffs he provides, he is basically a crappy, non-taunting tank, who does not do a lot of damage. His mind tricks ability is nice, but not game changing anymore.

• Broulan
    374 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Assuming the stealth isn't dispelled, he would likely get hit 4-9 times before allies lose stealth. And we're talking about fighting AI here - they're going to use every special they can on the only target available. And if maul/zaul is present, there's a lot of damage going into Ben too.
    Wouldn't that be great though? He'd take the first wave or two of attacks and you'd probably have 1-3 heroes down by the time he goes down, and when he does go down you gain "Evasion, Defense, Speed, Offense, +15% Health, and Defense Penetration, and Critical Damage for 2 Turns." It is, quite literally, sacrificing Old Ben....but is that really such a bad thing considering his health/protection pool and the resources your team gains when he falls?
  • You mean Zaul?

There are a few people who run Zaul with a low geared old Ben so that he gets targeted first most likely