What are R2's potential weaknesses?

I'm definitely going to get him in the event .. but I'm also pondering whether to do a huge makeover of my roster to build around R2. I toyed around the idea of Jedi, Rebels or a mix team of sorts.

Either way it seemed like at least on paper R2 seems quite OP, but did anyone notice any potential weaknesses that might make him vulnerable? Just trying to map out pros and cons before I start moving stuff around.

Replies

• Stairs
  • He needs 2 zeta upgrades. That's his weakness.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Decent Speed, Decent health pool, Decent Protection pool. Honestly it looks like most of issues will stem from ability blocks at inopportune times, Tenacity Up, Ima Gun Di and Annihilate/Execute.

Try and pair him with GK or Chaze depending on what road you want to go down Rebels or Jedi/Republic. You'll want a cleanse on him so you can make more use of his utility (His unique only adds the cleanse once you Zeta it). I think he looks very nice in a Resistance team honestly with Zeta Finn, Poe, RT, Rey and R2. I'm not sure how he'd fit in a Jedi team as he doesn't get the Jedi synergy, but he could work well in a solid Rebel team. Just try and make use of his synergies and make sure he's protected and he should be very well off.

I think R2 facing Rex teams might be a bit harder as well, he gives a little extra crit chance and he will fit best into LS squads that don't really have Daze/Shock. Plus Rex will be able to dispel his burning DoTs and remove the bonus damage potential from R2's basic. B2 and TFP's mass buff immunity might also get in the way of his Stealth skill.
  • Ion blasters
  • Vertigo wrote: »
    Decent Speed, Decent health pool, Decent Protection pool. Honestly it looks like most of issues will stem from ability blocks at inopportune times, Tenacity Up, Ima Gun Di and Annihilate/Execute.

Try and pair him with GK or Chaze depending on what road you want to go down Rebels or Jedi/Republic. You'll want a cleanse on him so you can make more use of his utility. I think he looks very nice in a Resistance team honestly with Zeta Finn, Poe, RT, Rey and R2. I'm not sure how he'd fit in a Jedi team as he doesn't get the Jedi synergy, but he could work well in a solid Rebel team. Just try and make use of his synergies and make sure he's protected and he should be very well off.

'galactic republic' All relevant Jedi have this tag.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Vertigo wrote: »

Try and pair him with GK or Chaze depending on what road you want to go down Rebels or Jedi/Republic. You'll want a cleanse on him so you can make more use of his utility. I think he looks very nice in a Resistance team honestly with Zeta Finn, Poe, RT, Rey and R2. I'm not sure how he'd fit in a Jedi team as he doesn't get the Jedi synergy, but he could work well in a solid Rebel team. Just try and make use of his synergies and make sure he's protected and he should be very well off.

Yeah, but all relevant Jedi leader abilities give bonuses to Jedi. They don't give bonuses to Galactic republic and R2 is republic, but not Jedi.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Empire toons that have bonuses against Rebels.
  • Vertigo wrote: »

Yeah, but all relevant Jedi leader abilities give bonuses to Jedi. They don't give bonuses to Galactic republic and R2 is republic, but not Jedi.

Well he gives them a second cleanser and neuters zauls evasion so he might be pretty good in a Jedi squad. Idk.
  • Oxidation
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    Empire toons that have bonuses against Rebels.

Ya, just like all the Vader and Maul and Krennick squads crushing Chaze because they're Rebels. :|
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member

Well he gives them a second cleanser and neuters zauls evasion so he might be pretty good in a Jedi squad. Idk.

Yeah he might be, it's just harder to tell without the direct synergy. He's still a solid looking toon, I just don't want to say he'll perform amazing there if his lack of direct Jedi-ness brings him a little short.
  • Dreislao
    380 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Stairs .. someone beat me to it lol
    I fight the good fight
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member

He will make jedi hit harder with his unique,
    Give them another cleanse,
    And help vs Maul teams, jedi squads biggest weakness.
  • Stairs

Give this men a medal please
  • His biggest weakness is the uniques die when he dies - so any squad with him in it that depends on his uniques will have to make protecting him a priority...now that's a bit of an issue in that usually moderate to low damage units (tanks, taunts, zBarriss, etc.) are what protect things. R2 doesn't fit the role of a high damage unit that you could protect and have him win the match killing things. If protecting him requires lower damage units, you may end up with a hard time putting enough overall damage on the battlefield...and then it really goes to heck when R2 is killed and his stat buffs leave the 4 remaining allies.

Think of the 3x cleanse DN teams or teams that hide zKylo - you couldn't put R2 in that DN role, then there would be no one to actually kill stuff.

My concern a bit with R2 for arena is we may end up seeing some really tanky timeout teams in arena. 3x cleanse teams take a while to kill now - how's that going to look when they also get all those extra stat buffs from R2 and the unique? Most of the groups he buffs form the core of those super tank / heal / taunt spam type teams: zBarriss, GK, Chaze, 5s, etc. Feels to me like we need more DN annihilate / Boba execute / DT deathmark type big kill skills.
  • His biggest weakness is the uniques die when he dies - so any squad with him in it that depends on his uniques will have to make protecting him a priority...now that's a bit of an issue in that usually moderate to low damage units (tanks, taunts, zBarriss, etc.) are what protect things. R2 doesn't fit the role of a high damage unit that you could protect and have him win the match killing things. If protecting him requires lower damage units, you may end up with a hard time putting enough overall damage on the battlefield...and then it really goes to heck when R2 is killed and his stat buffs leave the 4 remaining allies.

Think of the 3x cleanse DN teams or teams that hide zKylo - you couldn't put R2 in that DN role, then there would be no one to actually kill stuff.

My concern a bit with R2 for arena is we may end up seeing some really tanky timeout teams in arena. 3x cleanse teams take a while to kill now - how's that going to look when they also get all those extra stat buffs from R2 and the unique? Most of the groups he buffs form the core of those super tank / heal / taunt spam type teams: zBarriss, GK, Chaze, 5s, etc. Feels to me like we need more DN annihilate / Boba execute / DT deathmark type big kill skills.

No more annihilates...
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    His biggest weakness is the uniques die when he dies - so any squad with him in it that depends on his uniques will have to make protecting him a priority...now that's a bit of an issue in that usually moderate to low damage units (tanks, taunts, zBarriss, etc.) are what protect things. R2 doesn't fit the role of a high damage unit that you could protect and have him win the match killing things. If protecting him requires lower damage units, you may end up with a hard time putting enough overall damage on the battlefield...and then it really goes to heck when R2 is killed and his stat buffs leave the 4 remaining allies.

No more annihilates...

I don't care what it's called, but we need more big damage skills.
  • Ig88isboss wrote: »
    His biggest weakness is the uniques die when he dies - so any squad with him in it that depends on his uniques will have to make protecting him a priority...now that's a bit of an issue in that usually moderate to low damage units (tanks, taunts, zBarriss, etc.) are what protect things. R2 doesn't fit the role of a high damage unit that you could protect and have him win the match killing things. If protecting him requires lower damage units, you may end up with a hard time putting enough overall damage on the battlefield...and then it really goes to heck when R2 is killed and his stat buffs leave the 4 remaining allies.

No more annihilates...

I mean no more 'insta kills'. That's lazy and clearly over powered. More abilities like bobas and DTS would be fine tho.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member

No more annihilates...

I mean no more 'insta kills'. That's lazy and clearly over powered. More abilities like bobas and DTS would be fine tho.

I think the instakill has a spot in this game but should require more setup.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Spkoli
    43 posts Member
    Stairs

R2 got jet packs. He eats stairs for breakfast now:)
  • Arkham
    275 posts Member
    Little green swamp-dwellers with sticks.
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Given that the maul zeta is anti-dps by its very nature (due to dodge and stealth countering focus fire) giving rise to control teams like Rex, anything that lowers the amount of maul teams will make dps teams viable.

I think the very fact that R2 exists to scare maul users will create an increase in dps teams with boba lead, etc.

• My concern a bit with R2 for arena is we may end up seeing some really tanky timeout teams in arena. 3x cleanse teams take a while to kill now - how's that going to look when they also get all those extra stat buffs from R2 and the unique? Most of the groups he buffs form the core of those super tank / heal / taunt spam type teams: zBarriss, GK, Chaze, 5s, etc. Feels to me like we need more DN annihilate / Boba execute / DT deathmark type big kill skills.

+1, These timeout squads will be horrible. Quadruple cleanse squads will be a pain to deal with.
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].