Conjecture about Guild vs. Guild

JacenRoe
3016 posts Member
By now many have heard the rumors that the new game mode announced will be Guild vs. Guild. This is total guesswork, but based on what Jesse has said about the coming game mode, and other games with GvG I've played, and what this game already has this is my best guess on how it will work.

An officer will start a GvG. This may be limited to a certain numbers of times per week, or require the accumulation of tickets like raids do. The game will search for a random opponent that is also trying to start a GvG, and it will match us up as quickly as it can find two guilds based on some formula related to our collection scores, or arena rank, or something similar.

Once a match is made, there will be a certain period of time for all members to set a defensive squad for both regular toons (possibly multiple squads per person for regular toons), and one for ships. Then it would have a somewhat similar scoring system to tournaments. We have to "use our whole rosters" (Jesse's words) to beat the opposing guild's defense teams. We would likely get points based on killing their characters, and how many of ours survive the match. There might be a bonus for beating all the defense teams at least once. Maybe diminishing points for beating the same team multiple times so nobody just picks on the weaker squads repeatedly. Each toon on your roster could be used ONCE, so no just plowing through with your arena team. You'd have to use your toons carefully.

This would probably take place over a fixed period of time. As in we have 24 hours to try to score as many points as possible against the other guild. If it lasts multiple days it might refresh characters each day, but I see it more as a 'use every toon on your roster up over the course of a day' kind of thing. Then at the end, rewards are handed out with higher rewards going to the winning guild, and higher rewards within each guild to the higher scoring members. A special character could be acquired this way, but primarily lots of needed gear.

This kind of game mode or something similar to it would indeed test the depth of our rosters. If I had to set 2-5 defensive squads I'd need to gear up some additional characters, and it would mean fighting more than just the current arena meta. I could right now field a Rex mixed meta squad, a Jedi squad, an Empire squad, a droid squad, and another decent squad of old meta toons I have left over with everyone at gear 10-11 and no overlap. Only using your toons once would mean attacking some creative teams with some creative teams.

It might also lend itself to a choice of what GvG level the guild wants to run. As in a lower lever that requires every member of your guild to field 2 defense teams, but gives lower rewards. Then a higher tier GvG with bigger rewards, but requiring a bigger roster for maybe 4-5 defensive squads.

I think the devs are looking for something to fill the niche left by tournaments. This would be similar in some respects, except it wouldn't require 24 hrs straight tied to your phone. I could do an attack or two whenever I get on for bonus energy, or burn through my whole roster in the evening fairly quickly. You wouldn't get past a certain point and face nothing but identical meta squads. But you would get to use your whole roster, and work together with your guild mates to see who can most efficiently beat which opponents defensive squads. It wouldn't be perfect, and matching guilds against eachother fairy would be a constant complaint, but it would definitely be fun, get guilds working together, and push people to expand their rosters. Any thought from people who actually had the patience to read that whole novel?

Replies

• I had the patience and I think this is a pretty good suggestion overall.
    My biggest concern is that GvG becomes something that is on a timer. Like you can attack every 30 minutes. Your point about "I could do an attack or two whenever I get on for bonus energy, or burn through my whole roster in the evening fairly quickly." is EXACTLY what I want to see. Otherwise, you'll see guilds split again into "people who have nothing better to do but be attached to their phone all day" and "people who have jobs/lives/kids/other meaningful relationships."
    I burned out on another game when they introduced GvG that was on a timer and ALL guilds could attack ALL other guilds at any time (fastest players could go every 36 minutes, baseline was an hour). It was exhausting. I checked in on my old guildmates after 6 months away, most weren't playing any longer and the leader said he was burnt out. It looked on the forums like they'd lost half or more of their user base in my time away.
    GvG can be great. It can also kill a game. I'm nervous.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    I see gvg as a big cheat/exploit feast coming along. I hope I am wrong.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »

Totally agree- god mode sleepers will be very hard to identify
  • This might surely be cute. I see some scary issues though depending on how the system would work.
    Guilds might just kick out players with weaker rosters.
    Guilds with some inactive members or incomplete guilds may suffer.
    The officers or leaders of each guild could be required to do all the timing and coordinating.

And then, what about the reward tiers?
    If my rewards are matched with my guild, I'm forced into the most powerful guild I can find and my roster won't matter - I'm just one in fifty after all. Feels like a newbie on a heroic raid guild.
    If they're tied to my personal score and rewarding my roster... that would be more in-guild competition. Guildies have always been fighting each other over the better raid reward tiers. I wouldn't want to compete with an opposing guild and my own guild mates all at once. If it's GvG, I want them to be my allies and co-workers.
  • DarthBrobdignagian
    122 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    I hope the game doesn't go this route. I don't want a situation where I have to be on every half hour to contribute. My last game was horrible for that the top guilds literally couldnt sleep or had to turn over their logins to officers. That just isn't fun.

I would like to see us post squads on defense as the OP recommended, but I think it would be cool if it were a sort of survival battle royal mode:

The toons are all sorted from strongest to weakest, strongest 5 start and then in offense, any damage or TM will carry over to the next fight.

As one toon falls, another appears as reinforcement on the next turn. When the 5 on offense fall or retreat (like raids), you get kicked from the battle and those toons are out for good.

The whole guild brings their squads and whoever gets further down the list wins. Say 10 toons on defense per member, or 5 and give them a good defense boost buff.

Rewards for progress and overall rarity (say your average 4.6* and the other guild is avg 5.8) then that gets weighed for the prizes.

24 hours to place defense, 24 to attack.

...success?
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Or people will start guild hopping like they did when AAT first came out.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    This might surely be cute. I see some scary issues though depending on how the system would work.
    The officers or leaders of each guild could be required to do all the timing and coordinating.

If my rewards are matched with my guild, I'm forced into the most powerful guild I can find and my roster won't matter - I'm just one in fifty after all. Feels like a newbie on a heroic raid guild.
    If they're tied to my personal score and rewarding my roster... that would be more in-guild competition. Guildies have always been fighting each other over the better raid reward tiers. I wouldn't want to compete with an opposing guild and my own guild mates all at once. If it's GvG, I want them to be my allies and co-workers.

Guilds in this game are just a way to set another 50 person leaderboard.
    GvG will do the same most likely. You will be battling against other guild and your guild for better rewards.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    I hope the game doesn't go this route. I don't want a situation where I have to be on every half hour to contribute. My last game was horrible for that the top guilds literally couldnt sleep or had to turn over their logins to officers. That just isn't fun.

How many gear 11s do you have? I could burn through my whole roster of usable toons in 20-30 minutes if I was REALLY taking my time. In the type structure I suggested I'd need to do 5-6 regular battles, and 1-2 fleet battles max for a GvG. And if it was a once a week thing I don't see how that's as bad as tournaments which required 100 battles just to start getting warmed up.

This might surely be cute. I see some scary issues though depending on how the system would work.

If the formula used to match guilds is good then this shouldn't be a problem. Similar power guilds should be paired up. Kicking weaker members for stronger ones just gets you paired against stronger opponents. As for total inactivity, if you don't play you'll suffer. Can't help with that.
  • Where have they actually said the new game mode would be guild vs guild? I heard the announcement from Jesse that it would use your whole roster and have"a social aspect" to it, but since then all I've seen is players guessing that it must be guild vs guild for no other reason than other games have a guild v guild.

Did they actually say it? Or is it still just rumor? To me guild vs guild would be way more than "a social aspect"
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    GvG can become a new "tournament-type" game mode... That's the closer i can think of it...
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Dretzle wrote: »
    Where have they actually said the new game mode would be guild vs guild? I heard the announcement from Jesse that it would use your whole roster and have"a social aspect" to it, but since then all I've seen is players guessing that it must be guild vs guild for no other reason than other games have a guild v guild.

Did they actually say it? Or is it still just rumor? To me guild vs guild would be way more than "a social aspect"

It is absolutely just rumor, but it's multiple top whale guilds that we keep hearing it from. This is just my speculation about what GvG could look like if it's the new game mode. If the new mode coming is something different then maybe we could generate good ideas for the devs about how GvG could work in the future.
  • Uragon
    25 posts Member
    Open to exploit of using an alt guild and just pummel it to death. Repeatedly...
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Asic wrote: »

Until EA fixes the exploits that can be had, ones without jailbreaking/rooting (yes, sadly), then GvG would be an absolute horrid idea. I'm a bit perturbed they don't already have better balances/checks that can identify users of such hacks. It would only require a small packet sent along with the outcome of each match to determine such. If said specific encrypted packet isn't being delivered/decoded, then an individual is using a mod.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    Uragon wrote: »
    Open to exploit of using an alt guild and just pummel it to death. Repeatedly...

Exactly!
  • Another reason it's great being an intergalactic wanderer. Who won guild vs guild? Who cares......lol
  • I haven't played any mobile game with GvG. I'm wondering how they would do match ups here. And I totally agree if GvG it should be something that unites guilds and not have them compete against eachother. Same rewards throughout guild shard wise and different/random gear throughout.
    I'm thinking star level like rancor or a gear level that allows a toon entry into that certain tier. I'm guessing this is where Jedi Luke shards would come into play.
  • What if by GvG they mean it's a GW-like setting where you face a random guild (or one similar in rank) and you take out each opposing member's Arena teams. Once you beat a team then your remaining characters are able to move on with the same cool downs, health, and Protection as when you finished your first battle then you have to work together and take down other teams that your guildmates couldn't beat. So everyone in your guild can only use their Arena teams and by the end of the 24-hour limit, or whatever the limit may be, you get rewards based on if your guild beat more or less of the opposing Guild's teammates?
  • The GvG games I've played they've matched by either points or member strength w rewards based on beating that guild only. Stronger guilds will have it easy at first but will eventually be paired to someone near their abilities.

If guilds either get to choose matchmaking or if rewards are based on a type of global rank, it's going to be a complete and utter mess. Guilds will break up, people will get kicked and weaker guilds will just be punching bags for spenders.

It has the potential to add a fun element to the game for all to enjoy or be worse than tournaments.
  • RancorPackGuild
    1363 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Worst idea ever.

Not at OP

This looks like it will be a nightmare.

:s

Too many ways it could be exploited and if you think guild hopping was bad before when tank hit... It will be a nightmare. It will ruin guilds finally recovering from that!!!

We have guild leader board's to tell us who is best.

@EA_Jesse I honestly hope this post and idea was a joke.
  • We can't throw out names and so I will just say there are many multiple guilds run by the same people. For instance Team "Stinky Black Animal With a Stripe"

What would stop them from equalization of power structure to get eachother and let eachother win?

What about guild alliances?

Do we have to go down this path again?

Similar nightmare sound to what we learned with tournaments!

• I think gvg is a horrible idea. Especially if you have to "use your entire roster" all of those game modes are stupid for the average person. I barely have the mods I need for PvP and raids. GvG would mean swapping more mods than I already do for raids IF I even get a chance. The toon grading system in this game is horrible, anyone that runs gw on a daily knows this, and would match you to guild you have no hope of beating in the first place. No one wants to play if you can't win. No one is going to want to play anything that requires using "your whole roster" because only a very few have a "whole roster" that doesn't suck.

A game mode like this will never work until ftp and guppies can field full modded rosters. Maybe 3 or 4 more years given the abysmal drop rates in this game.
  • Johntra_Volta
    47 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Warmonger wrote: »
    I think gvg is a horrible idea. Especially if you have to "use your entire roster" all of those game modes are **** for the average person. I barely have the mods I need for PvP and raids. GvG would mean swapping more mods than I already do for raids IF I even get a chance. The toon grading system in this game is horrible, anyone that runs gw on a daily knows this, and would match you to guild you have no hope of beating in the first place. No one wants to play if you can't win. No one is going to want to play anything that requires using "your whole roster" because only a very few have a "whole roster" that doesn't suck.

A game mode like this will never work until ftp and guppies can field full modded rosters. Maybe 3 or 4 more years given the abysmal drop rates in this game.

Ofc it can work. If you are a liability for your guild you'll get booted or relegated to a weaker guild where your roster is more fiting. Or you can go and look for a better fitting guild that will get the lowest rewards from the gvg.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

GvG in other games match you randomly with an opponent of similar strength. So not remotely possible for this to be a problem.

We can't throw out names and so I will just say there are many multiple guilds run by the same people. For instance Team "Stinky Black Animal With a Stripe"

What would stop them from equalization of power structure to get eachother and let eachother win?

LOSING is what would prevent them from making equal guilds, and letting the other win. Are you suggesting that they take turns letting eachother win so that they only win about 50% of the time which is what they would probably average over time against equal strength opponents anyhow?

Guild alliance are not unique to this game. Sometimes allied guilds get matched up. Then they have to fight, because someone will lose. Those battles are actually pretty fun, but not much of an exploit. Unless TI wants to spend several hundred thousand dollars on an alt guild of equal strength that they might occasionally get paired against so that they can let their real guild win, and collect a few dollars worth of extra rewards. Not a solid plan.

Sewpot wrote: »

Which is impossible now. Only people in a raid from the start get anything. Other games I've played were similar. The members in the guild at the start of a GvG are locked in. Nobody added later could participate.

That could be an issue, but it's currently an issue in arena already. The difference is that in arena you can get familiar with your opponents, figure out who's cheating, and get them banned. In tournaments you were by yourself against thousands of brand new opponents for a day. Cheaters were harder to discover, and nobody who finished below a cheater ever got compensation, at least not that I ever heard.

GvG could obviously be exploited in the same way, but if it was added the one thing I'd like to see with it (which would be nice for arena too) is a win/loss record. I've played GvG where you get a very simple screen showing who attacked who, and the results of the battle. After a day of fighting the guild you should have a good idea of their strength. That plus a few min seeing the results screen will be enough to set off your **** detector. Then you can report them, and the devs can have their accounts thrown into a lava flow on Mustafar, and compensate the guild that made the report.
  • I'd rather that each guild member nominate a team and they're ranked by arena score/power level etc into 1-50. Then find a guild that's matched via the method written above, who've done the same and it becomes a play-off. Maybe best of 3 for each player against their opposite number and winner gets 10 points, draws 5 and loser 0. Then most points wins the GvG battle.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »

GvG in other games match you randomly with an opponent of similar strength. So not remotely possible for this to be a problem.

We can't throw out names and so I will just say there are many multiple guilds run by the same people. For instance Team "Stinky Black Animal With a Stripe"

LOSING is what would prevent them from making equal guilds, and letting the other win. Are you suggesting that they take turns letting eachother win so that they only win about 50% of the time which is what they would probably average over time against equal strength opponents anyhow?

Guild alliance are not unique to this game. Sometimes allied guilds get matched up. Then they have to fight, because someone will lose. Those battles are actually pretty fun, but not much of an exploit. Unless TI wants to spend several hundred thousand dollars on an alt guild of equal strength that they might occasionally get paired against so that they can let their real guild win, and collect a few dollars worth of extra rewards. Not a solid plan.

Which is impossible now. Only people in a raid from the start get anything. Other games I've played were similar. The members in the guild at the start of a GvG are locked in. Nobody added later could participate.

That could be an issue, but it's currently an issue in arena already. The difference is that in arena you can get familiar with your opponents, figure out who's cheating, and get them banned. In tournaments you were by yourself against thousands of brand new opponents for a day. Cheaters were harder to discover, and nobody who finished below a cheater ever got compensation, at least not that I ever heard.

GvG could obviously be exploited in the same way, but if it was added the one thing I'd like to see with it (which would be nice for arena too) is a win/loss record. I've played GvG where you get a very simple screen showing who attacked who, and the results of the battle. After a day of fighting the guild you should have a good idea of their strength. That plus a few min seeing the results screen will be enough to set off your **** detector. Then you can report them, and the devs can have their accounts thrown into a lava flow on Mustafar, and compensate the guild that made the report.

you mean temp ban them for 2 weeks.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

People who exploit a bug, or get the most out of the game as it is in an unintended way get temp bans... sometimes. People who hack the game, and straight up cheat can/should/do get frozen out permanently. I have guildmates that have reported cheaters, and they were never seen, or heard from again.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member

People who exploit a bug, or get the most out of the game as it is in an unintended way get temp bans... sometimes. People who hack the game, and straight up cheat can/should/do get frozen out permanently. I have guildmates that have reported cheaters, and they were never seen, or heard from again.

I hope so.. I have heard otherwise.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »

That's not always reality. I know someone who was cheating on a primary and alt account. Both accounts were busted and his alt is no longer while his primary is. EA has a soft spot for those who sweet talk (and spend money).
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    At this point I would mind if tourneys come back. If we have no cheaters.. short tourneys and we always have 1 running. We could even have more than 1 at a time. It could like a GvG tourney. Have 2 guilds face of vs each other and have it fight to the death tourney style. Each character in your roster is able to be used 3 times. Use everybody you have. Some scoring as how tourneys were.
    Best guild wins.
    Sounds like fun IMO
  • scuba wrote: »

Guilds in this game are just a way to set another 50 person leaderboard.
    GvG will do the same most likely. You will be battling against other guild and your guild for better rewards.

Mostly this. There is more cooperation on most Arena leaderboards then on Guilds. Guilds are absolutely just another leaderboard with each person fighting for top spot.

Until the raids look more like a cooperative effort, and guilds actually have to WORK TOGETHER. Then i find the idea of GvG ridiculous, there is no guild, really, so why even discuss something like GvG.

Further - the idea in general could work eventually, SO LONG as they don't lock the next level of gear advancement behind it. That really has ruined many a game. Lock a toon, sure, no problem, but not gear....
    #AcolyteShootsTwice