Proposed Arena Changes: Add Your Ideas!

Palanthian
1262 posts Member
edited April 2017
Every night in my ship shard, this same guy on my payout takes #1 about 30 minutes before payout. Fair play to him.

Then every night, from #1, he starts another attack on my fleet with about 10 minutes to go and makes sure that it lasts the full 7 minutes 30 seconds. I like the way he does this, because he's not only trying to lock himself in #1 but he's also trying to lock me from getting any higher. :)

Now please note, this is not a whine post, I haven't missed #1 for weeks. My ships can beat his fleet on auto in under 90 seconds, so I either get him before he starts his attack (using the same sorry tactic) or I snipe him after.

But isn't this just a sad state of affairs?

I propose the following improvements to squad and fleet arenas:
  • If you attack BELOW your current position and lose, you swap positions in the same way as if that player was attacking you
  • If you start a match and then do nothing, a timeout kicks in and you lose your turn - I propose a 10 second time limit per turn to "make a move"

Please note, these suggestions are only for arena, not for PVE content. PVP should incur higher risk and players should be more pressurised to perform.

These changes would introduce more risk, more excitement, and a fairer playing field, as opposed to allowing players to sit at #1 and launch zero-risk time-wasting attacks on players below them to lock them out. Indeed, all you have to do is start an attack and walk away from your phone - it's got to change.

Along with these improvements, it's about time we had:
  • An attack log detailing attacks won/lost and defences won/lost
  • Replays for the most recent attacks and defences, enabling you to review battles and make adjustments
  • The ability to share replays with your guild

While I expect this post may be moved to the feature suggestions forum, I'd appreciate it if it could sit in General for a short while to see what the general populace thinks.

@CG_Kozispoon would any of these suggestions make sense for a long-overdue overhaul of the PVP system?

I'm sure I've missed a few other obvious enhancements, feel free to add them...

Replies

• Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Slider for opponent selection instead of refresh. I'm not actually down with the 10 second thing at all, especially with opponents so difficult to target at times.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    These problem would be overcome if we could just have a reward based on highest position reached for 24 hours.

I agree with you PvP should have some sort of overall, but the kick is annoying probably.

By the way your opponent do it wrong: he should lock a different player than you as you incur the risk of being targeted by someone else during the 7:30 minutes he is safe.
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Actually not good with losing your spot to someone when you attack from a higher rank. I use that from time to time to test out different squads. I'll get 1; and since I paid 50 crystals for refresh, have 2-4 attacks left, and try out different squads without affecting someone elses rank/payout.
  • Instead of bogus, misleading "power" ratings, list each character's speed below their portrait in the Squad Arena lobby. It would be a much more accurate representation of their power, and it would shift the intimidation factor where it really belongs.
  • Bhaalor wrote: »
    Actually not good with losing your spot to someone when you attack from a higher rank. I use that from time to time to test out different squads. I'll get 1; and since I paid 50 crystals for refresh, have 2-4 attacks left, and try out different squads without affecting someone elses rank/payout.

I disagree, you can do your testing in GW on the hard nodes. Arena should be for serious matches with risk every time, not for testing.

If anything, this post highlights the problem, your testing match locks that player out of playing a real match for progression.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    don't like the first part and i don't think it will solve the "lock-out" problem.
    Would love an att/def log! Replays and the ability to share replays with your guild are cool aswell, but alot lower on my wishlist.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Palanthian wrote: »
    Bhaalor wrote: »

I disagree, you can do your testing in GW on the hard nodes. Arena should be for serious matches with risk every time, not for testing.

If anything, this post highlights the problem, your testing match locks that player out of playing a real match for progression.

I disagree with your disagreement :wink: Arena is where you need to really "Test" your team. Hard nodes? Really? GW? Yeah, no. My opponents are what I care about, they are the real test. I switch my team several times depending on who I am fighting. I know when my opponents payout is, and I'm not hindering their progression.

I fight teams, record them, put them on youtube with different team comps, then analyze the results, less refreshes equal bigger payout.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Devs should bring a grand arena mode where we could do skirmish against all the team of everyone to test our theory.

I wish I could battle against the best Sith team.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    don't like the first part and i don't think it will solve the "lock-out" problem.
    Would love an att/def log! Replays and the ability to share replays with your guild are cool aswell, but alot lower on my wishlist.

I agree with this - for many of the reasons already stated:

1) I hate the idea of "timer within the timer" - mainly because I am not often able to fight arena battles at times when being interrupted for a minute or two isn't possible. There's already a timer.

2) Arena is really the only place you can get a true idea of "test" teams.

For better or worse, I honestly don't see a change too arena (or ship arena) simply because refreshes, sniping and "locking out" all require one thing (usually) - crystals.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • BhMojo
    50 posts Member
    Weekly reshuffle of all shards, let people of the same power level start from scratch at the beginning of every week, No #1, no #500. When it starts out everyone is at 0. You'd be surprised at the number of people who are hiding beyond the 50-20 mark. In fact, it could be a new type of arena all in all, at the end of the week people's scores are calculated according to wins, losses & draws & rewards are issued according to performance. That would force the top brass to compete with that guy stuck in #299 not because his/her team is weak but because the people ahead of him are not that easy to get through.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    BhMojo wrote: »
    Weekly reshuffle of all shards, let people of the same power level start from scratch at the beginning of every week, No #1, no #500. When it starts out everyone is at 0. You'd be surprised at the number of people who are hiding beyond the 50-20 mark. In fact, it could be a new type of arena all in all, at the end of the week people's scores are calculated according to wins, losses & draws & rewards are issued according to performance. That would force the top brass to compete with that guy stuck in #299 not because his/her team is weak but because the people ahead of him are not that easy to get through.

this plan lacks detail and probably has more than a few drawbacks. I'm also fairly certain that the "top brass" has no issues dealing with teams stuck in rank #299, offence is just too easy for any team, that potentially gets stuck at #299, to form a threat to the "top brass".
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Made a suggestion once that could help, instead of swapping ranks when defeated your team and every team imbetween the victor's previous rank is lowered by one
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    I'd live to see a system where there is a global payout at midnight and then you are shown 8 random players above you (up to 15% higher rank). You have the whole day to make up to 5 attacks, and your rank does not increase or decrease during this time.

At the next midnight payout your score is calculated based on who you beat, your rank gets adjusted, you get rewards, and get your 8 targets assigned for the next day.

This would get rid of the silliness at payout times and be based on your ability to build teams and pla6 rather than your ability to drop everything to log in at a specific time.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    edited April 2017

I disagree with your disagreement :wink: Arena is where you need to really "Test" your team. Hard nodes? Really? GW? Yeah, no. My opponents are what I care about, they are the real test. I switch my team several times depending on who I am fighting. I know when my opponents payout is, and I'm not hindering their progression.

I fight teams, record them, put them on youtube with different team comps, then analyze the results, less refreshes equal bigger payout.

I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. :tongue:

Seriously though, hear me out. Your argument is that you need to test, and you're not causing any issues because you know their payouts. That's fine, I accept that.

But why does my proposal impact that in any way? If you lose, you lose your #1 place, but how does that affect you negatively? You can either take it back, or not, it's your call. You wouldn't be testing just before your payout, so what's the problem?

Let me reiterate the central issue - players attacking DOWN and wasting the timer for the sole purpose of locking out everyone else. This should incur RISK. Other than your point regarding testing, the only other argument I've heard in favour of the current system is that players are doing it already and want to continue doing it!

Show me another game where you can attack and lose and stay #1.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

Seriously though, hear me out. Your argument is that you need to test, and you're not causing any issues because you know their payouts. That's fine, I accept that.

But why does my proposal impact that in any way? If you lose, you lose your #1 place, but how does that affect you negatively? You can either take it back, or not, it's your call. You wouldn't be testing just before your payout, so what's the problem?

Let me reiterate the central issue - players attacking DOWN and wasting the timer for the sole purpose of locking out everyone else. This should incur RISK. Other than your point regarding testing, the only other argument I've heard in favour of the current system is that players are doing it already and want to continue doing it!

The bigger issue here (which I don't think you've actually mentioned) - is that, by attacking someone at #2, they can, in effect, with a single attack, block not only the top reward, but the second highest as well. For a 50 crystal refresh, a single arena opponent can cost a player 100 crystals (difference between 1 and 3). If there are two guildies working in tandem, they can block the top 4 slots at payout.

Of course, the other aspect of this is they can (as in your arena case) attack the person they know is gunning for them, locking them out.

But, as I said, I don't think it will be changed because crystals.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Hi, Palanthian.
    I always appreciate your squads and thoughts.
    Totally agree.
    GW on the hard nodes isn't so strong as yours though. :p
  • Vodeux
    55 posts Member
    Haha its always a blast to read ur comments. Especially when drunk! Bring out the anger in me and i feel like zavage...must destroy all!!!!
  • Shard rotation every month, random shards dependent on average placement in the preceeding month
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Slider for opponent selection instead of refresh.

THIS!!!!!!
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • I love the idea of attack logs... It would give much needed info on the team defence...

Also I don't know if anyone suggested this... But maybe have a locked in defence team that people see and verse you with... That is also unaffected by the team u use to attack.
  • Each rank pays out at a certain rate. Arena winnings are then based on the length of time you held a position.
  • IdraRage
    259 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Those are nice changes (especially the replay & defence log features) but I think the ultimate goal should be to have a live PVP ladder. (Maybe like Summoners War where one player selects a character then the other player selects 2, etc. adding more strategy that way.)

Also 10 seconds would be too fast (some of it having to do with latency or whatever on cell phone networks).

Maybe a stop gap solution could be:
    -Make payout based on top rank over a 24 hr period (reducing rewards so the same number of crystals are given daily on average)
    -Merge leaderboards (5x), also multiply rewards brackets 5x (same rewards for top 50 as top 10) and the number of positions you can attack by 5. This would allow each leaderboard to have a better diversity of teams, rather than always fighting the same players.
    -if this still doesn't solve your problem, make it so you can only attack the same player once per day.
  • I'd like to see winners not swapping places with teams they beat, but only replacing them while the losing team drops ONE spot. E.g. If I'm ranked 20 and I beat someone ranked 15, I'll go to rank 15 and they'll drop to 16
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

The bigger issue here (which I don't think you've actually mentioned) - is that, by attacking someone at #2, they can, in effect, with a single attack, block not only the top reward, but the second highest as well. For a 50 crystal refresh, a single arena opponent can cost a player 100 crystals (difference between 1 and 3). If there are two guildies working in tandem, they can block the top 4 slots at payout.

Of course, the other aspect of this is they can (as in your arena case) attack the person they know is gunning for them, locking them out.

But, as I said, I don't think it will be changed because crystals.

Great points all around by most everyone here. I don't think the clock-blocking tactic is very sporting (admittedly, I've done it as a necessary counter to those who do it to me; but it doesn't feel like #winning to me as much as preservation/preventive measure.) And like you said, when the practice potentially freezes out the top FOUR ranks, that's a bit troublesome. Arena doesn't exactly bring out the best in the player base; likewise I'm starting to see some of this in Ships Arena now too, which is absolutely absurd as there's zero Crystals at stake (though I guess it can be argued that extra Fleet currency allows for additional gear/shard acquisition.) But the amounts from #1 to #5 are so nominal in Ships, I can't understand why the tactic is employed there.
  • Maybe I'm confused, but couldn't anyone who was about to lose a match on offense just let it go to a draw instead? Or just retreat?
  • You should be rewarded based on highest rank in a 24 hour period. The last minute sniping and deadline stuff is horrible.
    I would spend considerably more gems if I had unlimited time to tinker around.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I'd like to see winners not swapping places with teams they beat, but only replacing them while the losing team drops ONE spot. E.g. If I'm ranked 20 and I beat someone ranked 15, I'll go to rank 15 and they'll drop to 16

Anyone at the top would love this. Jump 5 to 1 and need there to be 5 battles before you drop back to 5...haha, this would be a super advantage.

The other problem is this punishes people you may not be able to beat, why should #2 or 3 move down because you can beat #1
  • Highest Rank in 24 hours would mean more in payout, and remove the requirement to be around at a set time. Both of which would be nice. The current system favors those with fast connections and ability to be online at payout.

Until the maul meta appeared the #1 spot in my arena was always claimed by the same player, who I could defeat in arena but he always had himself safe in combat at payout. He would use refreshes to keep himself in combat for the last 10min... I could never get an attack in.

Here is the issue... If you could finish Arena in the #1 spot every day, with only spend max 50 crystals, would you stop spending money on the game? If your working and the best you can finish is #3 because you keep getting snipped, your more likely to buy crystals to make up the difference?.

Also is there anything stopping someone from moving up in Arena to get #1 spot at 23:50. Then claim again at 0:05??