I Miss Tournaments -- DEV RESPONSE

Prev1
gunff
287 posts Member
edited May 2017
No other mode of this game has come anywhere close to being able to use my full expansive roster like tournaments were. The rewards were really good when it came to credits and gear, the fighting, however monotonous was a lot of fun to try out the top ranked teams. Cheaters did knock some people down but playing for a couple hours against lots of teams and getting great rewards made up for it.

Is there any update on how the "re-work" or "fix" or blocking cheaters is going? or has the whole tournament idea been completely scrapped, for the rumored guild war?
Post edited by NotReallyAJedi on

Replies

• evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    I guess SOMEONE had to miss tournaments....

I imagine that they are on the back burner. There were a LOT of issues to fix, and I'm sure that essentially meant they are starting from scratch.
  • Dark_Light
    499 posts Member
    gunff wrote: »
    No other mode of this game has come anywhere close to being able to use my full expansive roster like tournaments were. The rewards were really good when it came to credits and gear, the fighting, however monotonous was a lot of fun to try out the top ranked teams. Cheaters did knock some people down but playing for a couple hours against lots of teams and getting great rewards made up for it.

Is there any update on how the "re-work" or "fix" or blocking cheaters is going? or has the whole tournament idea been completely scrapped, for the rumored guild war?

• Yogi
    907 posts Member
    I don't.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Yogi wrote: »
    I don't.

This. I'd rather have dental work done than participate in a tournament - it won't take as long and at least I'll be better off in the long run as a result. That and I enjoy sleeping.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • LRMoser
    139 posts Member
    I would love them to bring them back but in a different way. I agree there needs to be a way that having a full roster is more valuable than having just 5 maxed characters. I would love to see a tournament style with no refreshes and you can't use the characters you set on defense.
  • Snuffer
    12 posts Member
    Note to dev: ADD CONTENT! The only thing I see lately is a bunch chars that we can't use (or don't want to because there is nothing to do with them). Make the game fun again.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I don't.

This. I'd rather have dental work done than participate in a tournament - it won't take as long and at least I'll be better off in the long run as a result. That and I enjoy sleeping.

Exactly, I did not have time to sit down for 2-3 hours and try and figure out how best to coordinate my squads such that I could use the least amount of ally points and gain the greatest advantage. It was like pulling teeth. Not to mention the whole structure was ridiculous. Some noob who just started could have a higher rank than me just by winning slightly more battles in his category.
  • Yogi wrote: »
    I don't.

That, tournament is too long and with so many failures.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Tried to take the tourney serious, but after 1/2 hour of beating the same power team over and over again, I felt a hatred building up against the game, stopped playing tournaments after that
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Tactyou
    756 posts Member
    Contents, not tournament.
  • Yogi wrote: »
    I don't.
    You beat me to it.
  • dbraba01
    268 posts Member
    I liked the tournaments too. The biggest problem was that it was the only way to get and unlock characters. With the way they release them now tournaments wouldn't need character shards as a prize. All they need to do is remove the shards or randomize them.
    Broncos Forever in the game
    666-716-133
  • Haha.. imagine missing tournaments.
  • I miss broken Teebo
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    According to this thread there weren't any plans to restart them, but that could change
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/93104/why-discontinue-tournaments
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    I liked the tournaments as well. Just when I thought I was going to be able to start doing well in them, they discontinued them.

They operated on the same sort of philosophy as fleet and squad arena. There was really no point to playing for 8-10 hours. Just wait until an hour or two before the tourney ends to join it for the first time so you have a fresh 5000 man tourney shard and spend your ally points.

There was really no advantage to be gained by starting early UNLESS you had boatloads of ally points saved up and only a few decent teams.

So, to summarize my viewpoint: Most people hated tournaments because they weren't competing in them in a style that was conducive to them ranking highly.

Personally I preferred the tournament character release style cadence over this one too. I stopped buying crystals shortly after they switched it over.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    Woodroward wrote: »
    I liked the tournaments as well. Just when I thought I was going to be able to start doing well in them, they discontinued them.

They operated on the same sort of philosophy as fleet and squad arena. There was really no point to playing for 8-10 hours. Just wait until an hour or two before the tourney ends to join it for the first time so you have a fresh 5000 man tourney shard and spend your ally points.

There was really no advantage to be gained by starting early UNLESS you had boatloads of ally points saved up and only a few decent teams.

So, to summarize my viewpoint: Most people hated tournaments because they weren't competing in them in a style that was conducive to them ranking highly.

Personally I preferred the tournament character release style cadence over this one too. I stopped buying crystals shortly after they switched it over.

Most people hated it because it was unfair. people played against players that were their relative strength but were ranked in the same system. People with weak rosters could easily be ranked far above people with whale rosters if they just won more battles. The ranks were based on the amount of points you racked up not your rank in the tournament like Arena. Not to mention the cheaters on 2/3 of the tournaments that occurred.
  • JoseIrimia
    446 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    99 out of 100 doctors recommend...
    There has to be always an outlier.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    I was ok with tournaments, I participated in them a little bit, but didn't mind them that much. If they rework tournaments it would be cool if it was an actual tournament with brackets and they only lasted like 20 minutes.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I don't.

**** right! glad to be rid of them.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Exletion wrote: »

Most people hated it because it was unfair. people played against players that were their relative strength but were ranked in the same system. People with weak rosters could easily be ranked far above people with whale rosters if they just won more battles. The ranks were based on the amount of points you racked up not your rank in the tournament like Arena. Not to mention the cheaters on 2/3 of the tournaments that occurred.

No, I was playing against people that had roughly the same amount of tourney points as me rather than the matches having anything to do with strength. As I gathered more points and climbed higher in rank, I would start to face tougher teams... because they were winning more battles.

Either way, people got confused and looked at it like a marathon when in reality they should have been treating it like a zerg... Same as fleet and Squad arena: You're better off waiting until the last minute to put in all the attempts you can. People that did so had much better luck than the ones who treated it like a marathon.

So, as I was saying, it was people's misperception of the tourney that made them hate it (as you've proven by saying what one of the misperceptions was).
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member

No, I was playing against people that had roughly the same amount of tourney points as me rather than the matches having anything to do with strength. As I gathered more points and climbed higher in rank, I would start to face tougher teams... because they were winning more battles.

Either way, people got confused and looked at it like a marathon when in reality they should have been treating it like a zerg... Same as fleet and Squad arena: You're better off waiting until the last minute to put in all the attempts you can. People that did so had much better luck than the ones who treated it like a marathon.

So, as I was saying, it was people's misperception of the tourney that made them hate it (as you've proven by saying what one of the misperceptions was).

I get your strategy and I'm sure it worked, but how do you think they chose your opponent? Yes, it was taken from players with close to the same amount of points, but it was also dependent on their strength. They would never pair you with a player who had Chewy lead and had only been playing for a month who might have had the same amount of points. They had categories of players separated by strength; in these categories, they would pair players with the same or close to the same amount of points. It was completely possible for a player with a very weak line up to pass you and never have even the possibility to face you as an opponent. When the tournaments were happening, I read many reports that I assumed were official describing this as the set-up. If it was wrong etc., I apologize but unless I see something official that states otherwise, I still hold to this as the set-up.
  • e6ab8636e515ed5ed56843908bf7526d.gif

I definitely think that our initial design around Tournaments was actually really fun, but somewhere along the line, we dun goofed. I, personally, think there's still a lot we could do with the tournament structure and ways we could fix it so that it wasn't... you know... "not fun", and I really would like to revisit the concept in the future.

That said, I don't think there's a universe in which Tournaments comes back to life any time soon. We have quite a bit on our plates at the moment, and our existing content is doing a much, MUCH better job at the whole, "players enjoy it" thing.

So yeah, more content.
    Lead Game Designer (Live), Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    I get your strategy and I'm sure it worked, but how do you think they chose your opponent? Yes, it was taken from players with close to the same amount of points, but it was also dependent on their strength. They would never pair you with a player who had Chewy lead and had only been playing for a month who might have had the same amount of points. They had categories of players separated by strength; in these categories, they would pair players with the same or close to the same amount of points. It was completely possible for a player with a very weak line up to pass you and never have even the possibility to face you as an opponent. When the tournaments were happening, I read many reports that I assumed were official describing this as the set-up. If it was wrong etc., I apologize but unless I see something official that states otherwise, I still hold to this as the set-up.

AHHH. I see what you're saying. No, they were also separated into level brackets, but not by squad/roster strength. If you were 85, so was anyone in your tournament bracket. Now it didn't differentiate if you had been 85 for a year or a day, but it did separate by level, after that it was first come, first served until the bracket filled up, then they'd start a new one.

The opponents were chosen the same way the ones are in squad and fleet arena: Randomly, from a pool of people they deemed to be within range of you attacking based on your accumulated points/rank

• CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    e6ab8636e515ed5ed56843908bf7526d.gif

I definitely think that our initial design around Tournaments was actually really fun, but somewhere along the line, we dun goofed. I, personally, think there's still a lot we could do with the tournament structure and ways we could fix it so that it wasn't... you know... "not fun", and I really would like to revisit the concept in the future.

That said, I don't think there's a universe in which Tournaments comes back to life any time soon. We have quite a bit on our plates at the moment, and our existing content is doing a much, MUCH better job at the whole, "players enjoy it" thing.

So yeah, more content.

Agreed. Tournaments were a great idea, but there were fatal flaws.
    1. Took way too much time
    2. Once you got in the top couple hundred, every team was the same
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited May 2017

So yeah, more content.

I think the only goof you guys made was not letting people know that they could join the tournament late and still be competitive. People thought they had to fight the whole time it was up to be competitive and it made them mad when in reality they didn't have to.

Kudos for responding.
    CaptainRex wrote: »

Take this guy for instance. Thought he had to compete all day when he could have just logged an hour or two at the end and been fine.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    wrote: »

Right, and that inherently is what I didn't like about the tournaments. I know people who had no problems with it, but I certainly didn't enjoy that fact. What I did like was the concept, but as the dev comment above states, I did not like the execution. I'm happy they have moved on to create better content for us all.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

So yeah, more content.

I think the only goof you guys made was not letting people know that they could join the tournament late and still be competitive. People thought they had to fight the whole time it was up to be competitive and it made them mad when in reality they didn't have to.

Kudos for responding.

Take this guy for instance. Thought he had to compete all day when he could have just logged an hour or two at the end and been fine.

What are you talking about? Players were ranked based on total points collected from beating people right? If you start at the end of the event, you have no points and you cant get a good rank.
  • gunff
    287 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »

So yeah, more content.

Kudos for responding.

What are you talking about? Players were ranked based on total points collected from beating people right? If you start at the end of the event, you have no points and you cant get a good rank.

actually that isn't true. You were placed onto a leaderboard when you joined the tournament, so people who joined right at the end were on a leaderboard with other people who had joined late/right at the end. an hour of good hard hitting was usually enough to get good rewards on those shards.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    gunff wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »

So yeah, more content.

Kudos for responding.

actually that isn't true. You were placed onto a leaderboard when you joined the tournament, so people who joined right at the end were on a leaderboard with other people who had joined late/right at the end. an hour of good hard hitting was usually enough to get good rewards on those shards.

From everything that I read around that time, this is true. Yet another problem I had with the execution of the tournaments.