Ships Like Early Arena

Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
First, let me say that when ships first came out, I really enjoyed them. Fun new content, great design, command ships adding another layer of strategy, etc.

For the most part, however, it's simply more of the same every battle. Most fleets are basically the same. Sadly, there has been little to nothing done to make ships any more interesting or diverse. Often it has become a coin flip as to which Biggs goes down first.

Please don't let this really excellent area of game play, rot into boring tedium. :/
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    My Biggs goes down first, I lose.

Their Biggs goes down first, I win.

Unfortunately, it is still less RNG dependent than fighting zMaul in arena.

Most of my fleet arena ships are either maxed or getting close to it along with the pilots, so they perform much more consistently.
  • CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    First, let me say that when ships first came out, I really enjoyed them. Fun new content, great design, command ships adding another layer of strategy, etc.

For the most part, however, it's simply more of the same every battle. Most fleets are basically the same. Sadly, there has been little to nothing done to make ships any more interesting or diverse. Often it has become a coin flip as to which Biggs goes down first.

Please don't let this really excellent area of game play, rot into boring tedium. :/

tumblr_n0lcbd_Yv_D01sl21koo1_500_1.gif
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

Most of my fleet arena ships are either maxed or getting close to it along with the pilots, so they perform much more consistently.

I agree with everything except the comparison to squad agenda and Zaul. At least in regular arena there are mods, different teams, etc. Because ships are so extremely limited, as they all get to max, the entire battle is completely RNG, as the fleets are basically all the same. It reminds me of the old "Poe coin flip" - only its based on target lock Biggs.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • I believe the root of the problem is not having many ships to choose from. Once there are more / all current ones will be farmable, maybe it will get more diverse.
    Also, there is an upcoming hardware addition - noone knows when that comes, but it can be seen in-game, when you click on a ship, you'll see it on the right side of the screen. Maybe that will be something like mods for toons, but that is pure speculation, as it is the music of the future...
    SWGOH.gg profile: NicoleJudge
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited May 2017

I agree with everything except the comparison to squad agenda and Zaul. At least in regular arena there are mods, different teams, etc. Because ships are so extremely limited, as they all get to max, the entire battle is completely RNG, as the fleets are basically all the same. It reminds me of the old "Poe coin flip" - only its based on target lock Biggs.

Fair enough.

In ships, Rex with Biggs is more of an issue for me with Mace led ships as it isn't really difficult to wear down the constant protection generation.

For Ackbar lead, Biggs with Scimitar is a royal pain because Biggs gets retribution and no one can manage to miss him except for Ahsoka when trying to dispel his buffs.

Edit: Is there any way to block protection regeneration with ships? Some sort of healing immunity?
  • CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    I believe the root of the problem is not having many ships to choose from. Once there are more / all current ones will be farmable, maybe it will get more diverse.
    Also, there is an upcoming hardware addition - noone knows when that comes, but it can be seen in-game, when you click on a ship, you'll see it on the right side of the screen. Maybe that will be something like mods for toons, but that is pure speculation, as it is the music of the future...

I think you figured it out pretty well. The lack of options leaves it stale. What's really slowing it down is that they're releasing new ships, but keep them behind a paywall, or make farming them purely rng based.

Characters not only have several more factions and synergies, but they can also be farmed in cantina, ls/ds, guild currency, cantina currency, arena currency, etc.

If they were to release 10 new ships, and give them standard farming possibilities, we'd instantly see far more variety, and a far more entertaining mode as opposed to "just how you get to unlock zetas."
  • Argarath
    197 posts Member
    The biggest issues here are all the new ships that were introduced recently, they all need players to drop serious cash to *, and has 2+pilots that need to g11. Not many in my ship shard are using the new ships. It is not that there is no variety of ships, but rather how much you need to spend to get a new ship that drive people away. Business model vs gameplay, and most players count their purse coins, unless mega whales
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    I believe the root of the problem is not having many ships to choose from. Once there are more / all current ones will be farmable, maybe it will get more diverse.

I agree with the lack of diversity point 100%. The problem/frustration is that ships were released over 4 months ago and there hads been, practically speaking, no additional ships added and no additional way to obtain shards in the last 2-3 months.

Unfarmable, pack-only ships with unfarmable, pack-only crew don't really count as they are virtually non existent - even in high level fleet shards, save for the very rare completionist blue whale.

Basically, they released a bare-bones fleet arena 5 months ago - and are letting it die on the vine.

• Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    I'm in a younger shard, but I take first every day in a full republic fleet that doesn't feature Biggs.

Hit 135,000 fleet power yesterday. Was proud of that.

I still say they should get in the habit of adding things to the shard shop right when they are added and leave them there until they are farmable. I say this for both ships and characters.
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Ships is a bit tedious at this point, but I am glad there has been some time since ships came out since they added new content because its giving me time to build up my fleet for any upcoming raid that will require ships.

I initially used fleet currency to get shards of Rex and Sun Fac and then used it to buy Zetas and now I am working on trying to get my fleet up to 7 stars.
  • KyloRey wrote: »
    Ships is a bit tedious at this point, but I am glad there has been some time since ships came out since they added new content because its giving me time to build up my fleet for any upcoming raid that will require ships.

I initially used fleet currency to get shards of Rex and Sun Fac and then used it to buy Zetas and now I am working on trying to get my fleet up to 7 stars.

To react on your reply, one of my main problems is trying to divide my fleet currency on what to buy. I'm ranked 400+, which means I only get 1000 fc daily. So I can buy a zeta every two days. Or I can decide to build my fleet up (my ships are 4 star + Slave I 6 star), but that means I cannot buy zetas OR GEAR (which is used to buy as well, especially stun cuffs....) OR character shards - because I used to buy Rex there though now I use Clan Store for that, but I still buy Vader shards (I need some to 7 star him).

So really the main problem is you have to decide if you want to buy ship shards or gear / zeta. You can farm *some* ships in GW store, but that isn't sufficient. Just as we've discussed before, adding more farming options would make this situation *just a little bit* better.
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    KyloRey wrote: »

To react on your reply, one of my main problems is trying to divide my fleet currency on what to buy. I'm ranked 400+, which means I only get 1000 fc daily. So I can buy a zeta every two days. Or I can decide to build my fleet up (my ships are 4 star + Slave I 6 star), but that means I cannot buy zetas OR GEAR (which is used to buy as well, especially stun cuffs....) OR character shards - because I used to buy Rex there though now I use Clan Store for that, but I still buy Vader shards (I need some to 7 star him).

So really the main problem is you have to decide if you want to buy ship shards or gear / zeta. You can farm *some* ships in GW store, but that isn't sufficient. Just as we've discussed before, adding more farming options would make this situation *just a little bit* better.

This game is all about prioritizing and resource management. I initially prioritized getting Rex and Sun Fac shards because at the time they were top level toons and I don't regret doing that. Then, I focused on Zetas so I could start getting some Zeta abilities. I Zeta'd Vader, QGJ, Yoda and Barriss and they all have been useful.

After prioritizing those things, I realized I had neglected my fleet and now I'm using fleet currency for blueprints. I have 7 starred most of the ships I use in my active roster (except Slave One and Scimitar) and should be able to finish all of them except those 2 ships within a month.

You do have to decide what to go for first. It's up to you what order you want to prioritize them.
  • KyloRey wrote: »
    KyloRey wrote: »

This game is all about prioritizing and resource management. I initially prioritized getting Rex and Sun Fac shards because at the time they were top level toons and I don't regret doing that. Then, I focused on Zetas so I could start getting some Zeta abilities. I Zeta'd Vader, QGJ, Yoda and Barriss and they all have been useful.

After prioritizing those things, I realized I had neglected my fleet and now I'm using fleet currency for blueprints. I have 7 starred most of the ships I use in my active roster (except Slave One and Scimitar) and should be able to finish all of them except those 2 ships within a month.

You do have to decide what to go for first. It's up to you what order you want to prioritize them.

Yeah, but at least for character shards + gear there are other options. For zeta and ships - not really.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    edited May 2017

Eventually, this happens to every game though, and people still say this about Arena. We can always play with more variety if we're not worried about placement for payout, but if you want to be in the top, you have to play with what's (t)optimal. No real way around it. Then, if you add my addiction to being in 1st at payout, I just made my window for variety even smaller.

I get what you're saying. I just don't see a fix. Even chess (which is 'supposed to be a perfect game') has optimal opening moves.

TL;DR: I can't have a burger unless a cow dies.

EDIT: but I would LOVE more ships....which will always help.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • lamatoe
    131 posts Member

Fair enough.

In ships, Rex with Biggs is more of an issue for me with Mace led ships as it isn't really difficult to wear down the constant protection generation.

For Ackbar lead, Biggs with Scimitar is a royal pain because Biggs gets retribution and no one can manage to miss him except for Ahsoka when trying to dispel his buffs.

Edit: Is there any way to block protection regeneration with ships? Some sort of healing immunity?

Imperial tie applies buff immunity(on TL) so biggs can't gain taunt. My fotp target locks Biggs then imperial buff immunity. Only if the TL sticks.. which is iffy when hitting maxed ships.
    Kylos shuttle can apply healing immunity. .. but err yeah. Ship is pay walled.

Maybe others.. not sure.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

Eventually, this happens to every game though, and people still say this about Arena. We can always play with more variety if we're not worried about placement for payout, but if you want to be in the top, you have to play with what's (t)optimal. No real way around it. Then, if you add my addiction to being in 1st at payout, I just made my window for variety even smaller.

I get what you're saying. I just don't see a fix. Even chess (which is 'supposed to be a perfect game') has optimal opening moves.

TL;DR: I can't have a burger unless a cow dies.

EDIT: but I would LOVE more ships....which will always help.

Your edit is my point. I have no problem with a meta - as long as it changes. That's how squad arena works. But that only happens with the release of new characters and abilities. That model works and continues to be fun precisely because it has variety and changes.

We haven't gotten any new (usable) ships in fleet since ships dropped 5 months ago. We haven't gotten any new content to use ships on in that time either. Nor have they a added any interesting or new ways to farm ship shards.

• ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, the multi-piloting ships is going to slow it down. I'm with you man, MOAR ships!
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Yeah, the multi-piloting ships is going to slow it down. I'm with you man, MOAR ships!

We need more farmable ships in general. They're even more expensive than toons and certain ones - the Falcon - are unobtainable by mortals. A ship update 2.0 would be a good bet.
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Are you guys giving retribution to Biggs? I usually wait for the enemy A.I. to use its specials and dispels and kill my Biggs, then I give retribution to Vader.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Are you guys giving retribution to Biggs? I usually wait for the enemy A.I. to use its specials and dispels and kill my Biggs, then I give retribution to Vader.

I like giving it to Boba, and then when he dies I bring in Fives with advantage and have him do 50k damage to everyone ;)
  • Theophany
    865 posts Member
    I'd rather give retribution to fac or boba
    Some of the brightest ideas are the hardest to see
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Fives isn't a bad choice for retribution either. Gives him extra turns, lets him spam offense and defense down on everybody.

Geonosian Spy is another prime choice. Turns his special into an assist all attack.
  • Vertigo wrote: »

I like giving it to Boba, and then when he dies I bring in Fives with advantage and have him do 50k damage to everyone ;)
    Yeah, my next move is usually to call Fives and then let him and Boba set up us the bomb.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    Theophany wrote: »
    I'd rather give retribution to fac or boba

Same, my Biggs is usually the first to go down. Giving it to fac is amazing, he spreads target lock and opens up the battle
  • What's the difference with the normal arena? All teams are the same :/
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    What's the difference with the normal arena? All teams are the same :/

No they're not - and there are many more options, there are mods, there are many other aspects of the have to use characters in.

• I dont understand what u mean.. Well u are right. Nobody plays with ships, cuz nobody else does.. Im doing 1 fight each day, retreat that one and keep sitting top 150 (took a break from game for the first 3 months, ships were introduced). Well i dont know what u mean by biggs. My shards consists of ahsoka,jc,biggs,wedge,maul,fives ships.. Also sometimes plo, gs, sf, and tfp fotp. But whats biggs matter? He barely taunts at all. Im runnin tarkin,boba,fotp,maul,sf, gs .. With gspy, vader and fives in my backpack. I oneshot enemys ahsoka first with fotp. Maul makes fotp counter and gs always assist. Easy going. A biggs still will be down after 45k hit from fotp followed by gs(30k)+ assist by maybe boba?(2x15-20k) .. Biggs is no problem hes like stormtrooper in arena :D ai is dumb, so u will win everytime on offense, untill enemys power is 20-30k higher then yours

To make ship arena better, giveaway crystals, and top 10 gets zetas.. Also more currency then it is . More for top, lesser for the lower end.. Cuz a #300 gets barely less then 10# which seems weird to me
  • They'll introduce ship parts at some point which will stink worse than collecting mods.

There are ways to get around Biggs. 75% of the time I knock a ship out before their first TL and 5s can also remove the taunt if Biggs is TL.