Arena is No Fun Anymore

Prev1
Keep on getting beat by teams that have no more speed or power than me. I seem to be able to hold my position okay, but get killed 90% of the time I try to advance. The 10% is when I encounter a Jedi team. If it weren't for the fact it generated needed crystals and arena currency, I wouldn't bother with it at all anymore. It does not seem to matter whether I try a maxed Sith team or maxed Rebel team.

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I run zMaul, SA, Nihilus, zSavage, and EP. Even though my team has less than 40k power, i can beat most other zMaul teams who's team powers can get up to almost 50k. Right now i rank 26 (highest ive ever been) and dont drop below 60s. Speed and power mean less and less nowadays and everything is about team composition and zetas.
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    I run zMaul, SA, Nihilus, zSavage, and EP. Even though my team has less than 40k power, i can beat most other zMaul teams who's team powers can get up to almost 50k. Right now i rank 26 (highest ive ever been) and dont drop below 60s. Speed and power mean less and less nowadays and everything is about team composition and zetas.

Running the same squad :) it's amazing lol. Especially when your sith assassin is faster then your opponent their sith assassin xD

I fear R2D2 will make things a lot harder in 2 days from now
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].
  • Robbathehutt
    1048 posts Member
    Options
    Arena hasn't been fun since they added mods and made it so people that had the fastest mods are always guaranteed to be the best regardless of what the character meta is. Speed has been the real meta since the release of mods and there are no signs of that changing.
  • Options
    Arena has always been boring and always will be because the game is based around having a meta team - meaing most players run the same team. Everyone knows it, apart from those weird "no, because Rex" guys who pop up now and again because they beat a sith team once.

Just see it as a means to an end - I do my battles and if I get some crystals, then great. I enjoy it when I get to fight droids or a resistance team, or anything I'm not already overly familiar with. I don't enjoy 5 fights against Maul teams.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Arena has always been boring and always will be because the game is based around having a meta team - meaing most players run the same team. Everyone knows it, apart from those weird "no, because Rex" guys who pop up now and again because they beat a sith team once.

Just see it as a means to an end - I do my battles and if I get some crystals, then great. I enjoy it when I get to fight droids or a resistance team, or anything I'm not already overly familiar with. I don't enjoy 5 fights against Maul teams.

Yeah, there are pretty much only two viable leaders in the top spots, but theres still a wide variety of team compositions
  • holyjoe35
    249 posts Member
    Options
    i've hated arena for a long time. i try to keep in the top 100 but beyond that i don't give it much thought. it's the same team among every player.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    if you're losing on offence vs worse teams there's definetely something wrong.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »

Yeah, there are pretty much only two viable leaders in the top spots, but theres still a wide variety of team compositions

There are more than 2 viable leaders for top 5 in arena. I'm assuming you reference Zaul and Rex. But Jyn Erso, Vader, Nihilus, and even Phasma can all hold top spots.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Jedi_Reach_
    1337 posts Member
    Options
    Rank 1 everyday is fun though... :(
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    Arena hasn't been fun since they added mods and made it so people that had the fastest mods are always guaranteed to be the best regardless of what the character meta is. Speed has been the real meta since the release of mods and there are no signs of that changing.
    It was the same before Mods already ... the fastest Poe (based on gear equiped) wins, the fastest Dooku wins, blah ... now, its just a bit harder, because getting the right gear (even with the thousands and more thousands of stun cuffs needed for every char) is still easier then having the major luck to find that ultimate mod having the speed secondary which goes up 4 times.
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Mishkin
    22 posts Member
    Options
    There are more than 2 viable leaders and speed is meaning less and less as toons get tankier. On my shard i have seen qgj, maul, phasma, Rex, nihilus and Vader all in the top spot lately.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    Mishkin wrote: »
    There are more than 2 viable leaders and speed is meaning less and less as toons get tankier. On my shard i have seen qgj, maul, phasma, Rex, nihilus and Vader all in the top spot lately.
    Check every Rex team and tell me, how many of them have Rex below 210 speed! ;)
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Options
    Meh, arena has never really been all that fun. I play the minimum to meet my dailies, but that's it.
  • Options
    Achilles wrote: »
    It was the same before Mods already ... the fastest Poe (based on gear equiped) wins, the fastest Dooku wins, blah ... now, its just a bit harder, because getting the right gear (even with the thousands and more thousands of stun cuffs needed for every char) is still easier then having the major luck to find that ultimate mod having the speed secondary which goes up 4 times.

But why should speed above all other stats always be the deciding factor? Why even have other stats? Just give everyone speed that's all that matters.
  • Any
    428 posts Member
    Options
    IMO, it is boring cause of lack of team variety, only Maul,Rex lead in all arena.

New toons release but may take 6 month-12months to be viable as we can not farm it to use soon.

• Mishkin
    22 posts Member
    Options

In the top 20 on my shard 3 out of 4 Rex leads are below 210 speed. Rex doesn't need speed to beat the fast teams aka zaul.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options

In the top 20 on my shard 3 out of 4 Rex leads are below 210 speed. Rex doesn't need speed to beat the fast teams aka zaul.
    Holy, please someone can transfer my account to that shard! :naughty:
    Left by design.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

But why should speed above all other stats always be the deciding factor? Why even have other stats? Just give everyone speed that's all that matters.

If you go first but don't hit hard enough, you're still toast. Speed is the most important stat but not the only important stat. Don't get that confused. I'll trade out mods with say +3 speed with crapppy other stats for another god mod that doesn't have any speed.
  • LRMoser
    139 posts Member
    Options
    @Robbathehutt I agree that Mods took away from Arena for the F2P. Really I think Mods would have been a successful idea if they did not have secondary stats. If they would have boosted the effect of the Mod type and took gave each Mod shape 3 or 4 different primary stats they could have. It would have been nice for the primary stats to have a yin yang feel to them so like the square would have Offense, Critical chance, Defense, and critical avoidance. I would also have liked if they took away speed as a primary stat and made the speed Mod type use 6 mod slots. So, if you want to make your character faster you are going to sacrifice the other mod type bonuses.

I know the idea of Mods was to allow people to customize their favorite characters to make them more usable in the way the player wants but all it did is drive people to find speed thus making arena all about who has the fastest meta instead of strategy.
  • WenHandel
    165 posts Member
    Options
    A lot of good points in this thread, though I'm not sure if there is a solution other than what happens already, which is for CG to change things every few months.

I admit that I am starting to grow tired having the same fight over and over again with my Maul team against everyone else's Rex team. It was good for a while but we probably need some kind of change soon.

As for speed, I actually thought that was one of the good things about Chaze, Sith and Rex/GK teams, because they can still survive and win against faster squads. With Wiggs it was just about who went first.

I never liked mods but too late now to change it.
  • Options
    Any wrote: »
    ... only Maul,Rex lead in all arena...

Trolling lately?
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • sneeekypants
    1914 posts Member
    Options
    Zaul+SA+RNG made anyone regardless of mods or gear top 10 viable. Great for them, bad for people who invested a lot of time and money in their toons.
  • Options

Yes and no....

If speed were the real meta, you would see more diversity other than mainly Maul and Rex teams at #1. You would see any team that got the best speed mods whether it be jedi, sith, rebel, empire, clones, etc. The meta report clearly shows that team composition and synergy are most important
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    Options

Yes and no....

If speed were the real meta, you would see more diversity other than mainly Maul and Rex teams at #1. You would see any team that got the best speed mods whether it be jedi, sith, rebel, empire, clones, etc. The meta report clearly shows that team composition and synergy are most important

Missing the point though. The way the mods are constructed atm, speed stat on the mods make the most difference. In the realm of mods, speed is the most useful by FAR. Yes synergy and team composition are hugely important, but equally so is the speed stat. For example, in my shard there are two jedi teams that have equal synergy and team composition, but one has yoda at slightly higher speed then another. I destroy the prior team because yoda doesn't get his tenacity up before my EP gets his shock out; however, the later team I never win to merely because my EP can't gets his mass shock out before yoda can trigger that tenacity up buff. This is just one example, so yes, in a way, speed mods are the deciding gods of the arena.
  • Options
    I agree speed is important but is not what determines the meta or we would see a bigger range of characters at the top based just off who has better speed mods.

This would eventually lead to only seeing characters with the best speed before mods being the most dominant.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    Options
    I agree speed is important but is not what determines the meta or we would see a bigger range of characters at the top based just off who has better speed mods.

This would eventually lead to only seeing characters with the best speed before mods being the most dominant.

It's not what determines the meta, but it is what makes the meta viable. Take that speed away from any of those meta teams and any other team with decent team composition with god speed mods will be able to beat it.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options
    Speed helps but certainly isn't the biggest deal. I never farmed speed mods so there's 3 or 4 Sith teams on my shard with faster SAs than me. I never lose to them on offense because the rest of my team is set up well and I've even seen them lose to me on offense. When Wiggs wars was about who one shot who first, yes speed mattered, but now, it's merely one of several modded stats that can influence an arena teams effectiveness.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    Exletion wrote: »
    Speed is the most important stat but not the only important stat. Don't get that confused. I'll trade out mods with say +3 speed with crapppy other stats for another god mod that doesn't have any speed.

Who is talking about +3 speed other than you in your silly example?

When your top opponents have on top of their natural speeds in average 90-100 and you only have 70 would you not wish you had doubled, tripled or quadrupled that raise on the speed stat instead of getting +prot%, +defense or something equally useless?

• Options
    Exletion wrote: »

It's not what determines the meta, but it is what makes the meta viable. Take that speed away from any of those meta teams and any other team with decent team composition with god speed mods will be able to beat it.

It doesn't quite work like that, speed can help some match ups but character selection is more important.

I used Rebels for a long time and they need the speed to do well. I now use an Empire team and have not even moved my speed mods off my Rebels as I use them in other parts of the game. My Empire team does a lot better than my Rebels ever could as most of the team don't require going first to do their thing.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I get the feeling people blame mods and speed out of ignorance. Without those the game would have been way worse.
    Save water, drink champagne!