How exactly will R2 end the Maul meta...?!?

Prev13
Antares
686 posts Member
First off, I want to say that I am super happy about the upcoming R2 and his kit. Nevertheless, I think he will not help with the Maul Arena infestation. The Problem is simple:

The entire enemy will go before you regardless of whether you have r2 or not. After that, with all the debuffs, you will be at such a disadvantage that you won't be able to turn the match around. Just as is the case now!

So, how exactly will R2 change that?

I have everything ready to get R2 to G11 instantly, but I had a week to think about it and now I have serious doubts

Replies

• Jizzaouse
    128 posts Member
    There is some idea floating around that his AOE will reduce dodge. I am not sure if this is the case or not.
  • Bt_7274
    357 posts Member
    His dubuff on aoe reduces dodge chance by -50000%
    discord:Darth Woodman#6467,looking for shardmates:Warrior ìN,skirge2000,GlideX,erykgx,harunalp,TDB,Kiwida,dyloot,pm me on discord plz
  • Ummm... Rex lead.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    Ummm... Rex lead.

Well that is working already...and we still have 50% zMaul teams. So what does R2 bring?
  • Wondered the same thing.. But i dont get what r2 offers, which puts zauls siths in any disadvantage.. To me, he seems like a droid with lightside synergy and nothing else. To counter zaul, there are things needed, that r2 do not offer..
    Accuracy, no tm gain -debuff, no stealth gain-debuff, other than that, there is no real counter.. Just semi stuff like dispel, cleansing and other average stuff.
    But i dont know what the 'on fire' debuff does ^^
  • Antares wrote: »
    Ummm... Rex lead.

Well that is working already...and we still have 50% zMaul teams. So what does R2 bring?
    Rex solves the speed bonus that zaul has. R2 solves the evasion bonus. There is basically nothing of zaul's leader left after this. If you crit, they get stealth... pretty poor leader ability if you ask me.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    the burning debuff apparently is just like DoT with the addition, that the enemy can't evade anymore. I think, as long as the opponent can cloak and gain TM like crazy, there is little hope, even with R2
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Depends on the team you're thinking to use him in, personally i think he'll fit perfectly into a zQGJ team... I'm not sure about other teams though...

I too became doubtful about gearing him max (actually i can only g10 him atm), but not because of his use, i have doubts cause there are rumors Jedi Luke will be the next released toon and i'll regret getting R2 maxxed lol

• Antares
    686 posts Member
    The0n3 wrote: »
    ... there are rumors Jedi Luke will be the next released toon and i'll regret getting R2 maxxed lol

Excellent point...a good reason to hold off actually!

• htid1987
    124 posts Member
    Maybe Jedi Luke will be the one to end the zaul meta
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    htid1987 wrote: »

I can already see the outrage here on the forums, when the devs announce that the other fan favourite is...anyone else but Luke :D:D :X
  • At the top of arena I don't see R2 having much impact as it relates to Maul - but R2 in some non-3x cleanse Rex-led or no-GK Jedi teams for players that are in the 20-50+ ranks will have a big impact as it will close the gap between their builds and the other Maul builds. I don't see any impact really for elite Jedi either as they already beat Maul at a high rate. Maybe it just becomes easier / quicker and a bit less annoying with the dodge stomped out.
  • Kriesha
    113 posts Member
    Antares wrote: »

I can already see the outrage here on the forums, when the devs announce that the other fan favourite is...anyone else but Luke :D:D :X

I would think the other fan favorite will be a dark side character, possibly Thrawn. But then again, it might be Luke...
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    Jedi Luke will come with a tm boost similar to Zaul and with R2 it's bye bye Zauls I reckon
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    If you run R2 with Jedi, then Yoda will likely go first and spread tenacity up and foresight to R2. So even if all Sith go first, chances are that R2 will likely resist Nihilus' Force Drain and he will get off his Improvise AoE attack which will burn all the enemies and reduces Evasion for them.

On top of that, R2 has a unique ability that adds 10% accuracy, which helps to prevent some of the Evasion of Sith as well.

Then, R2 can also do a Smokescreen that stealths his teammates for 2 turns.

That's a lot of abilities geared at reducing your opponents' Evasion abilities and also stealthing your own team.

I could easily see R2 being the toon that tips the scale for Jedi against Sith.
  • UltimateZeus
    1221 posts Member
    I only see it useful if burning also prevents stealth... although there is no mention of this. I'm not sure how someone burning can be stealthed :P
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    the burning debuff apparently is just like DoT with the addition, that the enemy can't evade anymore. I think, as long as the opponent can cloak and gain TM like crazy, there is little hope, even with R2

zMaul teams gain turn meter when they evade. R2's AoE inflicts burning, which reduces evasion to zero, which means they can't evade. Therefore, no more zMaul meta.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Wondered the same thing.. But i dont get what r2 offers, which puts zauls siths in any disadvantage.. To me, he seems like a droid with lightside synergy and nothing else. To counter zaul, there are things needed, that r2 do not offer..
    Accuracy, no tm gain -debuff, no stealth gain-debuff, other than that, there is no real counter.. Just semi stuff like dispel, cleansing and other average stuff.

Have you not read his abilities.
    He gives all allies 10% accuracy.
    Burning debuff will nullify Maul evasion bonus
    LS enemies that score a crit hit will cleanse.

Yeah nothing that will help with combat zeta Maul.... Go read again.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »
    Wondered the same thing.. But i dont get what r2 offers, which puts zauls siths in any disadvantage.. To me, he seems like a droid with lightside synergy and nothing else. To counter zaul, there are things needed, that r2 do not offer..

Well, I think none of this will matter much, if you get wiped in the first turn when everyone on the enemy team goes first...

• Antares wrote: »

Well, I think none of this will matter much, if you get wiped in the first turn when everyone on the enemy team goes first...
    I'll say it again... Rex lead. Also... zqgj lead.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

This isn't the rebel meta where the battle ends in 30 seconds. Unless your team comp is garbage, battles aren't necessarily determined by the first round of attacks
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »

This isn't the rebel meta where the battle ends in 30 seconds. Unless your team comp is garbage, battles aren't necessarily determined by the first round of attacks

well, then my team comp is garbage. :D:D I am dead in two turns vs. zMaul.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

I daily face enemy Zaul teams that all get full TM to start before I get to move thanks to a fast Sith Assassin. I start completely covered in debuffs, and end with all 5 of my toons still alive at full health. That thing you mentioned is not a real problem. In fact the Rex lead teams are already squeezing out the Zaul teams in my arena.
  • I'll say it again... Rex lead. Also... zqgj lead.
    If zMaul goes first than Rex's lead is nullified.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    unatratnag wrote: »

What? zMaul always goes first

• JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    unatratnag wrote: »

If he's the only toon then yes. But I generally run a 5 man team in arena.
  • NicolasRage
    1038 posts Member

It will probably be Jar Jar
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »

well, then my team comp is garbage. :D:D I am dead in two turns vs. zMaul.
    If you run rex lead, than the enemies crits should boost your team, if you run zqgj lead, then they should miss most of their attacks, if you also run zmaul, then some of your allies should have dodged. Also, unless you aren't running any tanks, sith dont have the dps to take your team out as quickly as you're saying they do.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    You really don't see how R2's Kit will be lethal against a Zaul lead?

R2 buffs his factions' Offense, Potency, Protection, & Max Health.
    He gives them all accuracy,
    He gives them an auto cleanse.

He tales away the opponents' dodge.
    He has an AoE
    He stuns the opponent.

He's like Zaul's achilles heal. If people can't see that, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Personally, I'll be throwing him in my Droid team ASAP. K2S0's daze for the tm gain, and B2's Buffwipe/buff immunity for no stealth/crit immunity. HK lead works well again and I win. Yay!
  • Kissycat
    410 posts Member
    Woodroward wrote: »
    You really don't see how R2's Kit will be lethal against a Zaul lead?

R2 buffs his factions' Offense, Potency, Protection, & Max Health.
    He gives them all accuracy,
    He gives them an auto cleanse.

He tales away the opponents' dodge.
    He has an AoE
    He stuns the opponent.

He's like Zaul's achilles heal. If people can't see that, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Personally, I'll be throwing him in my Droid team ASAP. K2S0's daze for the tm gain, and B2's Buffwipe/buff immunity for no stealth/crit immunity. HK lead works well again and I win. Yay!

And let's not forget, his AOE can't be evaded.