Ships crashing

Carth_Onassi1973
1704 posts Member
edited May 2017
For the fourth time, my fleet arena, during battle, gets choppy, then crashes. The entire game closes. Subsequently, I lose battles (meaning the number of battles available to me) because of this.

Any idea what's causing this? Can it be fixed? WILL it be fixed?
I waiting until the update and it's still doing it.

Replies

• crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    If your ships were crashing before, it'll probably be worse after update, because they needlessly added animations of pilots in the ships.
  • JediMindTricks
    1077 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Welcome to the ships crashing club...except mine has been crashing since day one. Now they added more animations and you can see the pilot in the top right corner of the screen dying. As if people like myself need more reason for ships crashing they went ahead and added this.

Don't expect it to fixed anytime soon if ever at all. You might get some rinky **** answer from the mods telling you to do this or that..but I'll save you the trouble and tell you now..it's not gonna help.

All you can do is buy a new device it seems. It's quite obvious that all the people complaining about ships crashing for the past 6 months have fallen on deaf ears. If they were gonna fix it, it would have been fixed by now..instead they added more animations which means even ship crashing problems.

Really sad...ignore people that spend money. Pretend not to read their ship crashing complaints. Let's work on adding more content to make more money is what this game is now all about.

OP I'm not sure if your ships crashed in the past but if it didn't then this is a perfect example of how my game runs. Back in 2015 the game worked like a well oiled machine on my ipad2. Zero crashes. New updates come out and now I crash all the time. Perfect example of how new updates ruin the game for people like myself.

Now I understand technology constantly changes and I'm cool with that. But a game that worked fine on day 1 should also work fine on day number 365 too. My device hasn't changed..the game has. Why should I have to buy a new device to play the same game I've been playing since 2015. It's like yeah ok I'll buy a iPhone 6...but what about in 5 years? I need to buy a new device just because the content demands more from my device? I understand buying a new PC to play new mmorpg games that are being released..but I shouldn't have to buy a new PC just to play the same game I've been playing on for a year and a half and worked fine with no problems.

What's even more aggravating is the zero responses from the higher ups.

Literally the silence is deafening.
  • Carth_Onassi1973
    1704 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    @JediMindTricks

Yep, it crashed before the update. In jan 2016, I never had problems like this. As they added more content, it seems like it bogs everythig down, and I have a brand new iPad mini and iPhone as well.

It only happens with the ships. Never in any other section of the game. And it sucks because usually, it's my last battle and I dont typically refresh, so it's a bummer.
  • @JediMindTricks

Yep, it crashed before the update. In jan 2016, I never had problems like this. As they added more content, it seems like it bogs everythig down, and I have a brand new iPad mini and iPhone as well.

It only happens with the ships. Never in any other section of the game. And it sucks because usually, it's my last battle and I dont typically refresh, so it's a bummer.

i don't refresh ships either. Because of the crashing issues, I actually hate ships. It slowed my zeta progress down so much. I literally have to play on an iPhone 6 just to do ship battles. I wish they would have released ships the day swgoh went live. Had I known it would have crashed like this in the beginning I wouldn't have invested time and money on this game. I seriously would have deleted it soon as I noticed problems.

We aren't the only ones complaining about ships either, with so many other people saying they have the same problems I really can't understand why it keeps getting ignored. The swgoh app description says it supports iPad,iPhone and iPod..as of the ship update..this simply isn't true anymore.
  • @JediMindTricks

i don't refresh ships either. Because of the crashing issues, I actually hate ships. It slowed my zeta progress down so much. I literally have to play on an iPhone 6 just to do ship battles. I wish they would have released ships the day swgoh went live. Had I known it would have crashed like this in the beginning I wouldn't have invested time and money on this game. I seriously would have deleted it soon as I noticed problems.

We aren't the only ones complaining about ships either, with so many other people saying they have the same problems I really can't understand why it keeps getting ignored. The swgoh app description says it supports iPad,iPhone and iPod..as of the ship update..this simply isn't true anymore.

Lol! Yes, sir!

I have enough frustration with trying to figure out how im falling to 56 from top 10 in arena, and even more frustration noting that 90% of arena - both ships and regular - come down to RNG. Regardless of the toon level or mods.

Now this? Just stab me in the face with a dull lead pencil.

• Sarryen
    474 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    @JediMindTricks @Carth_Onassi1973 I am convinced that this is a memory leak issue and it happens to me. Basically if I do 'anything' in the game (open a bronzium, sim a battle, play a battle, etc) and then run a fleet battle it will crash. However, if i reset the client and do literally nothing in game except go straight to the fleet battle it is usually stable enough to complete the battle. This is a pain but the only workaround that has been successful for me (and means I can at least hold rank in fleet arena, if not climb up).

I very rarely get the same crash happening in the tank raid as well if I haven't reset the client. It definitely seems to be linked to the animations taking up the memory.
  • @Sarryen great info and thank you for the suggestion!

If it continues to happen to me, I'll give that a try.
  • Sarryen has a point, i did it exactly like him befor R2 patch and i was able to finish space battles.... But now, it don't work. Everytime almost at the end of the battle i have crash. From the newest update i wasn't able to finish one space battle. So my rank will be dropping down and down and rewards will be aweful...
  • Sarryen wrote: »
    @JediMindTricks @Carth_Onassi1973 I am convinced that this is a memory leak issue and it happens to me. Basically if I do 'anything' in the game (open a bronzium, sim a battle, play a battle, etc) and then run a fleet battle it will crash. However, if i reset the client and do literally nothing in game except go straight to the fleet battle it is usually stable enough to complete the battle. This is a pain but the only workaround that has been successful for me (and means I can at least hold rank in fleet arena, if not climb up).

I very rarely get the same crash happening in the tank raid as well if I haven't reset the client. It definitely seems to be linked to the animations taking up the memory.

This is a good tip. I had to do this exact same thing before going into arena battles. This use to work months back when ships were first released. Out of my 5 ship tries I'd maybe finish 1 or 2. Now I'm literally stuck playing on a iPhone just to do ship battles.

I do believe it is a combination of iPad memory issues combined with the game coding on the servers side. The reason why I think the games coding has something to do with it is because my iPad never crashed until ships were released. The devs created the ship content without thinking about how it will affect people using older iPad devices.

The swgoh app description plainly states iPads, iPhones and iPods support this game yet ships continue to crash on IOS devices for a large amount of people. A few mods have responding saying they were going to report the bug and 6 months later...people still experience ships crashing..plus the devs decided to turn up the ship animations(which will actually make us crash even more). What's sad is that not a single person asked for those recently added ship animations. The people like us that continue to complain about the issue keep getting ignored while more and more while the devs continue to keep creating more and more purchasable content only.

• 5th time! Last battle!!! What the ****!!!!!
  • This is BEYOND frustrating
  • Vice_torn
    599 posts Member
    Crashed 4 of 5 battles today...

I guess I am in the same boat as others, before the update I had to restart the app before and after a ship battle, I still had lag, but most battles would finish. Now with the extra needless graphics, the game crashed in 4 of my 5 battles... only reason the 5th one did not crash is that it was short.

I might have bought some of the May 4th packs but won't now.... Why bother if the whole game might be unplayable in a month.

This really is Bad coding... there is nothing in the ship battles that should require this much memory.
  • Vice_torn
    599 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    I have found a solution to make ships "doable" again. Keep the reinforcements to a minimum... Do not kill any ememy ships, instead take them all to low health. Then kill them all quick. Using Tie Advanced and Tank ships you can get all enemies Target Locked, then you can kill all 5 one shot with 5's ship. (or wait for master plan so you can double tap them with 5's special.)

Also if you do need to reinforce yourself, avoid calling in a different ship. I.E. if your opponent already used Boba Fett's ship, you can call it as a reinforcement with less memory issues.

My theory is that for each pilot the game loads images of the pilot and ship. So keeping ship count down helps. So limit reinforcements, and try to pick targets using same ships as you. I find my device is stable if myself and target have at least 3 ships in common.

Also every attack type you use loads graphics... So you can reduce the memory load by not using special abilities. Especially Capital ship abilities.
    Post edited by Vice_torn on
  • Interesting. Thanks @Vice_torn

No further problems yet. But if they happen again, I'll try that.
  • I've keep trying to do the Ability Ship Challenge Tier III ( Zeta Tier ) but whenever it shows loading symbol it crash back to home screen and then sometime it let me play but then shoots back to home making me infuriating me .