Star Wars Rebels show

So it's been on my to-do list ever since it came out but my wife isn't going to watch a Star Wars cartoon with me, so I've been putting it off. Since Phoenix Squadron came out in game it's inspired me to watch it finally, so now I'm watching on my phone when I'm waiting to pick up my kids from school or any other time I can squeeze in a few minutes. I've gotten about 3 episodes into the second season and I must say it's great. I love how they're mixing the clone wars stories with the lead up to "A New Hope". So I guess I just want thank EA/CG and Disney for cross marketing their stuff so well. Has anyone else been inspired to watch the shows or movies because of this game?

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I had already watched it before they added the characters in the game, but i can guarantee you that most people who have actually watched the show enjoy it more than the haters who are too insecure about their age to watch a show directed to kids.

Also, season three is a step above the previous two. There are actual stakes and the empire isnt totally incompetent.
  • LOL. It's definitely not a kids show. Believe me, I've seen kids shows. I don't know how many times I got trapped watching Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, and dragon tales. This show has a coherent storyline with persistent consequences throughout. Sure there are Macguffins but they are important to the world and the lore as a whole. It's great to have a definitive source of canon material once again beyond the movies.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    LOL. It's definitely not a kids show. Believe me, I've seen kids shows. I don't know how many times I got trapped watching Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, and dragon tales. This show has a coherent storyline with persistent consequences throughout. Sure there are Macguffins but they are important to the world and the lore as a whole. It's great to have a definitive source of canon material once again beyond the movies.

By kids i meant 8-14 year olds, not toddlers. And i dont mean "kids show" as a derogatory term. Some of the best shows ever made are directed to kids (avatar is obviously the best example).
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    I went to the Rebels panel at SW Celebration this year. We got to see the 1st episode of season 4. Holy Cow! Gonna be an awesome season.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    LOL. It's definitely not a kids show. Believe me, I've seen kids shows. I don't know how many times I got trapped watching Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, and dragon tales. This show has a coherent storyline with persistent consequences throughout. Sure there are Macguffins but they are important to the world and the lore as a whole. It's great to have a definitive source of canon material once again beyond the movies.

By kids i meant 8-14 year olds, not toddlers. And i dont mean "kids show" as a derogatory term. Some of the best shows ever made are directed to kids (avatar is obviously the best example).

Pretty sure Avatar was what Dave Filoni did before the Clone Wars and Rebels. Seems he's got a knack for this sort of thing.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Klocko wrote: »

Pretty sure Avatar was what Dave Filoni did before the Clone Wars and Rebels. Seems he's got a knack for this sort of thing.

Shoot, i totally forgot that :D thanks for reminding me how much i like him!
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I went to the Rebels panel at SW Celebration this year. We got to see the 1st episode of season 4. Holy Cow! Gonna be an awesome season.

Personally, i think seeing the premier then waiting months for the second episode sounds worse than just waiting for the premier
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member

Personally, i think seeing the premier then waiting months for the second episode sounds worse than just waiting for the premier

Yeah...now I'm chomping at the bit for more and have to wait. What's worse, it's a 2 parter and we only got to see the 1st part. Even my wife was blown away, and she's only watched a small handful of episodes (some only partially). Trying to get her caught up before season 4 premieres.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Sad news is season 4 is going to be the final for Rebels.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Sad news is season 4 is going to be the final for Rebels.
    That bummed me out a lot. I was expecting/hoping the show would end with the battle of jakku. I was thinking it would be neat to see Thrawn lead the empire's last ditch effort against the rebellion after the death star II blew up and maybe have an easter egg to tie in with rey's origins. (The easter egg would work because TLJ will have been released by then).
  • I've only seen the first two seasons so far because I hadn't managed to start watching the show until after the third season had ended and I haven't been able to catch them in order on DXD since. So I have to wait until it comes out on DVD and I hope it will before the new season starts.

Out of all the characters from the show, I kind of desperately want an Agent Kallus toon simply because he's my favorite character.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I've only seen the first two seasons so far because I hadn't managed to start watching the show until after the third season had ended and I haven't been able to catch them in order on DXD since. So I have to wait until it comes out on DVD and I hope it will before the new season starts.

Out of all the characters from the show, I kind of desperately want an Agent Kallus toon simply because he's my favorite character.
    Thats only because you haven't met thrawn yet ;)
  • Carbonari
    676 posts Member
    I got all goosebump tingly watching the trailer for season 4.

While I'm sad that the show is ending, I hope that we see more of the characters in the future, and I'm really excited for whatever Star Wars project Filoni works on next.
    Rebels has been such a good, fun, refreshing piece of entertainment and a perfect example of how to do Star Wars the right way. Just a hint of nostalgia, enough silliness to get kids interested, amazing lightsaber fights, epic starship battles, compassionate characters, and really great design work that draws from McQuarrie as well as everything else that came before.
  • Watched all episodes since the premiere as they first aired (in Canada).

There have been episodes and moments that got me really jazzed up. Some filler eps were good, but overall, it seems to be missing certain things that I was hoping mentioned or seen, in the background or foreground.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Carbonari
    676 posts Member
    Watched all episodes since the premiere as they first aired (in Canada).

There have been episodes and moments that got me really jazzed up. Some filler eps were good, but overall, it seems to be missing certain things that I was hoping mentioned or seen, in the background or foreground.

It certainly lacks the gravitas of Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers. ;) JK. Nice avatar.

Once they introduced Thrawn I threw all the preconceived notions of what I wanted to see right out the airlock. Didn't expect to see him, happy they brought him in.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    I've only seen the first two seasons so far because I hadn't managed to start watching the show until after the third season had ended and I haven't been able to catch them in order on DXD since. So I have to wait until it comes out on DVD and I hope it will before the new season starts.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that Kallus is going to continue to be my favorite. I've got a serious soft spot for bad guys that are secretly softies and/or didn't realize that they were on the wrong side and defected.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Nah, I'm pretty sure that Kallus is going to continue to be my favorite. I've got a serious soft spot for bad guys that are secretly softies and/or didn't realize that they were on the wrong side and defected.

Fair enough
  • DatBoi wrote: »

Fair enough

Although I am curious about Thrawn, so much so that I'm probably going to read his book trilogy after I finish the Aftermath trilogy.
  • I personally think that the show has a widespread appeal. Adults and kids alike can enjoy the show together. It certainly helps explain some unanswered questions leading into a new hope.
  • I personally think that the show has a widespread appeal. Adults and kids alike can enjoy the show together. It certainly helps explain some unanswered questions leading into a new hope.

Which unanswered questions does Rebels explain?
  • So it's been on my to-do list ever since it came out but my wife isn't going to watch a Star Wars cartoon with me, so I've been putting it off. Since Phoenix Squadron came out in game it's inspired me to watch it finally, so now I'm watching on my phone when I'm waiting to pick up my kids from school or any other time I can squeeze in a few minutes. I've gotten about 3 episodes into the second season and I must say it's great. I love how they're mixing the clone wars stories with the lead up to "A New Hope". So I guess I just want thank EA/CG and Disney for cross marketing their stuff so well. Has anyone else been inspired to watch the shows or movies because of this game?

where do you watch em? I watch on Toonova, you?
  • Carbonari wrote: »
    It certainly lacks the gravitas of Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers. ;) JK. Nice avatar.

Once they introduced Thrawn I threw all the preconceived notions of what I wanted to see right out the airlock. Didn't expect to see him, happy they brought him in.
    Thanks. I felt it bests represents me in real life...sorta.

When the series was announced, along with the cancellation of the Clone Wars, I was [beep][beep][beep][beep][beep][beep]. But it was revealed that Filoni was in charge again, and the sting was oh so slightly lightened.

There were moments, I felt that it was not going to feel like a Disney show. But after 3 seasons, it definitely feels like a Disney show. Not taking away from the fact that there has been many moments/scenes that I completely LOVED.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    It's refreshing to see people talk about how much they like Rebels--especially after all the Neck Beards were so adamant about how bad it is because it's "kid s---" which conveniently ignores that ALL Star Wars is "kid s---" :P

I haven't seen it yet. Been busy with other stuff. It was highly recommended by a friend of mine. I'll get to it eventually, though.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Chopper alone is enough to make this show worth the watch. xD He is by far my favorite Droid in all of Star Wars now.
  • Yesac
    362 posts Member
    Just finished Twin Suns. Wow. This series is far from perfect, and not as gritty and "adult" as TCW, but the moments that stand out really stand out. The last scene as credits roll touched a nerve, and any fan who watches that should feel the same pang. Such a bittersweet moment.
  • Yesac wrote: »
    Just finished Twin Suns. Wow. This series is far from perfect, and not as gritty and "adult" as TCW, but the moments that stand out really stand out. The last scene as credits roll touched a nerve, and any fan who watches that should feel the same pang. Such a bittersweet moment.
    Pretty much. From an adult's point of view?

I'm sure young kids love it. With Ezra being their "Luke" if Rebels is their entry point into Star Wars.

Still wished Twin Suns didn't make Maul be a guest appearance in his end arc. I would have shown him to be powerful at the beginning, then as the weather, time, and Tuskens, wear him down, with only his hatred and determination keeping him going. Working the story to make us cheer him on to meet up with Obi-Wan, but knowing full well it's not going to end well for him. Maybe even hinting a couple of times that Obi-Wan saw him coming, and avoiding him. Which leads to Ezra coming and interfering with Obi-Wan's "there are alternatives to fighting" philosophy.

My favorites are still the finales, The Siege of Lothal, The Forgotten Droid, The Last Battle, Trials of the Darksaber, and Homecoming.

• Velocitious
    276 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Star Wars Rebels is the best animated show, even better than TCW. I'm surprised no one uses #hotkallus in this forum.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Star Wars Rebels is the best animated show, even better than TCW. I'm surprised no one uses #hotkallus in this forum.

Im more about #lumberjackkallus