Complaining about Zaul but being OK with Chaze?

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    warmonkey wrote: »
    Whoever designed and/or approved it made history by showing exactly how not to design a game character in a competitve fighting game.

Giving two toons every good ability in game and then NOT realizing how that would effect all character releases afterwards in arena tells me they were designed for the sole purpose to get a quick boost in sales.

I'd say they're doing quite well, regardless of all the complaining. The game is designed to make money, not to be the best competative fighting game. It's a freemium game.
    End of the day, chaze and maul are beatable without having to use chaze or maul.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member

leef wrote: »
    Whoever designed and/or approved it made history by showing exactly how not to design a game character in a competitve fighting game.

Giving two toons every good ability in game and then NOT realizing how that would effect all character releases afterwards in arena tells me they were designed for the sole purpose to get a quick boost in sales.

I'd say they're doing quite well, regardless of all the complaining. The game is designed to make money, not to be the best competative fighting game. It's a freemium game.
    End of the day, chaze and maul are beatable without having to use chaze or maul.

I'm not one of those "good enough" people. Without chaze being OP they would have made soooooo much more money.

Imagine a game where FO, phoenix, resistence, troopers, etc were actually good teams in top of arenas. That would be a whole lot of spending going on in the last 6 months or whatever instead of people getting mad when they pay for a new team and then never use them except as one of many GW or haat/aat teams.

So much awesome potential in teams that I feel is wasted because of a bad decision way back when with chaze. Give people a reason to buy stuff and the spice will flow!
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member

I'm not one of those "good enough" people. Without chaze being OP they would have made soooooo much more money.

Imagine a game where FO, phoenix, resistence, troopers, etc were actually good teams in top of arenas. That would be a whole lot of spending going on in the last 6 months or whatever instead of people getting mad when they pay for a new team and then never use them except as one of many GW or haat/aat teams.

So much awesome potential in teams that I feel is wasted because of a bad decision way back when with chaze. Give people a reason to buy stuff and the spice will flow!
    You would only need to spend on one squad to be good. If they make FO good, then resistance, then the next one etc. They can make more money. It's like a carrot on a stick.

• Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    edited May 2017

But how much money are they going to make when Baze+ Chirrut both are arena viable only from 3*??
    In my arena none of the top 5 have them at 7*
    They are just a viable pain in the **** and nothing else, they need a counter that specific makes them useless in a hybrid team; that is something that makes money.

Also keep in mind I have Chaze myself, total ftp, no money used.

• If I may offer an objective perspective;

I run a pure First Order squad, and have to fight my way through Sith, Rebels and Rex squads in order to rank first or second. The funny thing is all of those factions will use Chaze, and for the most part I enjoy fighting against them, but the only squad that ever really get frustrated with is the top ranking squad.

Zaul, Savage, Nihilus and Chaze, but it isn't Chaze that's frustrating, it's the fact that even with some of the best speed secondaries on my shard, the sith are guaranteed to go first. Maul never dazes less than 4 of my toons, followed by Nihilus' AOE increasing cool downs.

I'm not claiming Maul needs to be nerfed or anything, as I am occasionally able to come back from that, but it seems like his lead would be pretty insane without the starting turn meter bonus.

So it always makes me laugh a bit when I see people complaining about Chaze, they are definitely powerful toons, but as someone with no horse in this particular race, I have to say it's only against Zaul that I ever feel truly frustrated.

I'm not calling for any nerfs, and I don't think anyone would accuse the FO of being OP, so hopefully this can be taken in the objective manner it's intended, but when it comes to Chaze vs Zaul, it's pretty obvious to me which one is more powerful.

I agree that Zaul is more OP than Chaze, and I have acknowledged that in the first post. My point is that to actually shift the meta from rebels there needed to be someone significantly more powerful than them. Chaze being so OP in the first place prompted this level of OP-ness for Zaul, and as long as the root cause is not addressed the problem will persist.

zDM is in no way as close to as strong as Chaze - not even a contest. The best team in Maul's peak, and has been that way for months really, was 3x cleanse and Chaze as its core. Before zDM, Chaze was at the core of elite Rebel teams that went head to head with zDV / Empire comps. Now you have R2 putting Chaze on steroids. Chaze swims through every iteration of the game and every time a strong character is released it makes Chaze better - like R2 is doing and like how DN in 3x cleanse did before that.

Maul is in the beginning stages of dropping off a cliff in terms of usage - his best days are well behind him - he's been backsliding for 6+ weeks. He's likely never to recover either since Sith already had their pass and not sure it will be anytime soon till another Sith character is released. I'd wager a small amount that he's never heard from again in elite arena meta for as long as the game exists. I'd been saying this for months since 3x cleanse started coming around, but zDM was a fake meta. You want something that will have legs in terms of arena, farm / buy Chaze...it's Chaze, because Chaze...all day Chaze baby!!!
  • Olga wrote: »

You would only need to spend on one squad to be good. If they make FO good, then resistance, then the next one etc. They can make more money. It's like a carrot on a stick.

If that was true then firstly Chaze would not have been added to buff rebels since they were already the meta , secondly even if they were added they would have been better than what was at the moment not OP, Krennic and DT would have been slightly better than Chaze, Sith slightly better than Empire (the only one true), Phoenix be slightly better than sith , etc. But since Chaze were OP, like we all know they were, even though some don't admit it, even this business model was affected.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

i doubt that to be honest. I'm f2p so i wouldn't know for certain if i would have bought more characters if more characters were viable at the same time, but my best guess is that i wouldn't have.
    The everlasting power creep makes sure people will continue to buy stuff, having a few teams being released that aren't OP is not such a bad thing. You could argue that powercreep is bad and balance is good, but that most certianly isn't the business model of this game.
  • leef wrote: »

i doubt that to be honest. I'm f2p so i wouldn't know for certain if i would have bought more characters if more characters were viable at the same time, but my best guess is that i wouldn't have.
    The everlasting power creep makes sure people will continue to buy stuff, having a few teams being released that aren't OP is not such a bad thing. You could argue that powercreep is bad and balance is good, but that most certianly isn't the business model of this game.

Some people want to save the game though, not play good for 5 years then game is dead because of poor choices by the heartless devs.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    SpendsAlot wrote: »

Some people want to save the game though, not play good for 5 years then game is dead because of poor choices by the heartless devs.

5 years for a mobile game is an eternity. Have you ever played the same game for more than 3 years? any game, not just mobile games.
    Even the best of the best of the best game gets old sooner or later, regardless of the decisions made by the devs.
  • leef wrote: »

5 years for a mobile game is an eternity. Have you ever played the same game for more than 3 years? any game, not just mobile games.
    Even the best of the best of the best game gets old sooner or later, regardless of the decisions made by the devs.

I have played the same game for even 10 years+ I play until it's final moments, you must not have ever enjoyed a game that much.
  • SpendsAlot
    379 posts Member

I have played the same game for even 10 years+ I play until it's final moments, you must not have ever enjoyed a game that much.

This isn't 2012 anymore, mobile games end up making more every year, you are an oldie in gaming market I see
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Olga wrote: »

If that was true then firstly Chaze would not have been added to buff rebels since they were already the meta , secondly even if they were added they would have been better than what was at the moment not OP, Krennic and DT would have been slightly better than Chaze, Sith slightly better than Empire (the only one true), Phoenix be slightly better than sith , etc. But since Chaze were OP, like we all know they were, even though some don't admit it, even this business model was affected.
    It is true though. Not saying it's their strategy, but it is true.
  • Olga wrote: »

It is true though. Not saying it's their strategy, but it is true.

I didn't express myself well, I know that theoretically that's what they also wanted to do. What I meant is that Chaze being so OP comparared with what was before them meant they couldn't follow this recipe because the power creep would be out of control rapidly. That is why almost all of the new releases were so underwhelming.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    They're underwhelming at first glance, but with a bit more experimentation and future character releases and synergy shifts, they might find a role in the meta. A couple of the phoenix characters have snuck in already.
  • SpendsAlot
    379 posts Member
    They're underwhelming at first glance, but with a bit more experimentation and future character releases and synergy shifts, they might find a role in the meta. A couple of the phoenix characters have snuck in already.

Not enough variety
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member

Not enough variety
    For what?

• SpendsAlot
    379 posts Member
    edited May 2017

Not enough variety
    For what?

To counter meta, some people just don't like light side and won't use light side
  • If I may offer an objective perspective;

I run a pure First Order squad, and have to fight my way through Sith, Rebels and Rex squads in order to rank first or second. The funny thing is all of those factions will use Chaze, and for the most part I enjoy fighting against them, but the only squad that ever really get frustrated with is the top ranking squad.

Zaul, Savage, Nihilus and Chaze, but it isn't Chaze that's frustrating, it's the fact that even with some of the best speed secondaries on my shard, the sith are guaranteed to go first. Maul never dazes less than 4 of my toons, followed by Nihilus' AOE increasing cool downs.

I'm not claiming Maul needs to be nerfed or anything, as I am occasionally able to come back from that, but it seems like his lead would be pretty insane without the starting turn meter bonus.

So it always makes me laugh a bit when I see people complaining about Chaze, they are definitely powerful toons, but as someone with no horse in this particular race, I have to say it's only against Zaul that I ever feel truly frustrated.

I'm not calling for any nerfs, and I don't think anyone would accuse the FO of being OP, so hopefully this can be taken in the objective manner it's intended, but when it comes to Chaze vs Zaul, it's pretty obvious to me which one is more powerful.

I agree that Zaul is more OP than Chaze, and I have acknowledged that in the first post. My point is that to actually shift the meta from rebels there needed to be someone significantly more powerful than them. Chaze being so OP in the first place prompted this level of OP-ness for Zaul, and as long as the root cause is not addressed the problem will persist.

zDM is in no way as close to as strong as Chaze - not even a contest. The best team in Maul's peak, and has been that way for months really, was 3x cleanse and Chaze as its core. Before zDM, Chaze was at the core of elite Rebel teams that went head to head with zDV / Empire comps. Now you have R2 putting Chaze on steroids. Chaze swims through every iteration of the game and every time a strong character is released it makes Chaze better - like R2 is doing and like how DN in 3x cleanse did before that.

Maul is in the beginning stages of dropping off a cliff in terms of usage - his best days are well behind him - he's been backsliding for 6+ weeks. He's likely never to recover either since Sith already had their pass and not sure it will be anytime soon till another Sith character is released. I'd wager a small amount that he's never heard from again in elite arena meta for as long as the game exists. I'd been saying this for months since 3x cleanse started coming around, but zDM was a fake meta. You want something that will have legs in terms of arena, farm / buy Chaze...it's Chaze, because Chaze...all day Chaze baby!!!

This is a fair point. You could say that Zaul was better situationally while Chaze is better on whole. This further proves my point that Zaul is not and never was the problem in this game, it was only a symptom.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    It's reasonable to request a greater pool of viable characters, that would be the ideal approach for a well balanced game. This isn't a balanced game though, it's a business.
  • danflorian1984
    986 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Well I would argue that Chaze being released so OP back then is actually bad for business.

True since I don't know the actual figures I could be wrong :)
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

This isn't 2012 anymore, mobile games end up making more every year, you are an oldie in gaming market I see

Did you just quote and insult yourself?? :D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • SpendsAlot
    379 posts Member
    It's reasonable to request a greater pool of viable characters, that would be the ideal approach for a well balanced game. This isn't a balanced game though, it's a business.

Then it has already set a course for it's death and isn't worth the money lol because in 5 years it's dead with no refund then the majority of whales on this game will never trust EA again.
  • slickdealer
    1801 posts Member
    Chaze had a free to play counter in Boba.

Zaul didn't have a counter until a couple days ago.
  • danflorian1984
    986 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Chaze had a free to play counter in Boba.

Zaul didn't have a counter until a couple days ago.

Before I switched to Zaul I run an EP TFP Vader B2 Boba team, with good mods for my shard. Boba as a counter for Chaze = Way overrated.

Also Rex as a counter for Zaul was from the beginning.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Like i said months ago.

Chaze was the only toon I called OP in this game.

They are literally the Easy mode duo of toons, it was a mistake making them a Swiss Army knife of toons that excel at all their roles they provide.

Still waiting for a dark side duo anywhere close to as good as chaze
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member

Then it has already set a course for it's death and isn't worth the money lol because in 5 years it's dead with no refund then the majority of whales on this game will never trust EA again.
    Oh they will, my apprentice. They will.... Kehehehehe
  • zhtd17
    948 posts Member
    im in a new shard (4 months) and 90% of top 20 are hiding behind chaze, there are wiggs+chaze, DN sith +chaze, Rex+chaze and Jedi+chaze teams so yes chaze are the most OP combo in the game.
  • SpendsAlot
    379 posts Member

Oh they will, my apprentice. They will.... Kehehehehe

I just have more faith in this game lol so I won't believe it until it hits that day, and will try and help out with ideas
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

I think Gollum has a forum account and we just witnessed him battling with Smeagol :)
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

I think Gollum has a forum account and we just witnessed him battling with Smeagol :)

No. It's just the perpetual battle between the light and dark. Poster is a Revan of sorts.