Shoretrooper pack, F2P dilemma and where to use him

Prev1
westenger
138 posts Member
I'm F2P so I don't know a lot about what are good deals and what not but this seems like a good one. 21.99€ for 80 shards (unlock him at 4*) for a toon that I will get 1 shard a day from hard nodes (when I reach there, which is still quite far) so that's an 80 day head start.

So once I convinced myself it was a great deal, I am still dubitative to pull the trigger. I haven't spend a single penny in this game. I take pride in being good (not great) in this game without spending vs other people that spend thousands in the game (without disrespecting "whales", everyone can spend their money the way the want).

My problem is I don't know if I want to do this and stop being F2P. I know there are other terms as "dolphins" for people who don't spend that much but still spend some, so I was wondering, if I bought this pack where would that put me? would I be a dolphin? or just a F2P player who spent once in a good bundle?

Apart from my "dilemma" I have another question, which arena team could I use with him? I'm around 300 in arena and would like to get higher, most people run Wiggs around my positions but the top players run ZMaul and Rex (june 2016 shard) I don't expect to use him in raids because he won't be at 7* for a long time. But I think he could be very helpful for arena and GW (I'm clearing GW quite easily right now but sure in the future it will get hard again)

My roster
https://swgoh.gg/u/westenger/collection/

All comments are welcome,
Thanks

Replies

• Juex777
    968 posts Member
    Options
    He's a game changers a good deal. You can pretty much plug and play him. Glanced at your roster but not thoroughly because he works in so many squads. What are you running in arena now?
  • westenger
    138 posts Member
    Options
    EP(L) boba rg rey and qgj, pretty sure he would be much better than rg
  • Options
    I'd put you in the f2p category. A $20 pack isn't much, it's like going to see a movie one night, I don't feel like that makes you "invested" in the game. I would buy the shards for sure if I wasn't already at 7*. Buy it and save crystals to farm him from shipments after.
  • Options
    Don't worry about spending status. Do what you want and enjoy the game. He is great. I only ever bought crystal subscriptions for my first couple months, but I couldn't resist Shore as I run empire, soon to be Zader. He is not as versatile as Baze, but I doubt we will ever get 80 Baze shards for $20.

With all that being said, if you think it will nag at you after the fact if you purchase, don't. This is a great game and he isn't worth ruining your resolve over(buyer's remorse syndrome). People who are completely F2P and excel are probably very smart and disciplined players. Good for them. Those that spend tons support the game to a great degree. Good for them also. To all those that fall in between, don't sweat your status. As long as you enjoy the game, any money or no money is worth it.
  • Options
    He's better than RG there is no doubt about. If you don't have an Empire team and want a character more versatile you should buy a crystal pack of the equivalent amount and pay yourself a Blaze! You can get Chirrut for free from the ship shop and the two together would give you more bang for your buck and can be inserted in ANY team.

I've seen Sith, Empire and Rex teams using Blaze and Chirrut. They are that good... I love my Shoretrooper and play him in my arena team but nothing beat Chaze
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    rzvvX.gif
  • Options
    He's better than RG there is no doubt about. If you don't have an Empire team and want a character more versatile you should buy a crystal pack of the equivalent amount and pay yourself a Blaze! You can get Chirrut for free from the ship shop and the two together would give you more bang for your buck and can be inserted in ANY team.

I've seen Sith, Empire and Rex teams using Blaze and Chirrut. They are that good... I love my Shoretrooper and play him in my arena team but nothing beat Chaze
    This is good advice. I never thought of that. I will always use Vader tho, so it's Shore for me all the way. I only dropped 5 spots since getting him yesterday instead of the usual 25-30. Plus I'd hate to gear and ability mat 10 abilities(however awesome) those two.
  • Options

This is good advice. I never thought of that. I will always use Vader tho, so it's Shore for me all the way. I only dropped 5 spots since getting him yesterday instead of the usual 25-30. Plus I'd hate to gear and ability mat 10 abilities(however awesome) those two.

I feel you, I'm a big Zader fan and have him as a leader of my Empire team.
  • Khayman
    850 posts Member
    Options
    I am facing somewhat similar situation. Have a nice RG and buying the pack would take my shore to 5 star, he could replace and improve upon my rg or run a double tank. Ive spent a little before but man it is tempting.
  • Darth_Julienus1
    394 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Khayman wrote: »
    I am facing somewhat similar situation. Have a nice RG and buying the pack would take my shore to 5 star, he could replace and improve upon my rg or run a double tank. Ive spent a little before but man it is tempting.

I don't want to influence your choice but I can tell you that shore is more than viable at 5*. From 5 to 7* I think you don't get much more health. At gear X you can get 45k of protection with the protection mods.

https://swgoh.gg/u/darthjulienus/collection/shoretrooper/

Don't run double tank though, this option is no longer viable on defense with the x4 speed option and you would lose to much fire power having two tanks.
  • iAmRyC
    144 posts Member
    Options
    I'm by no means F2P, but the 80 Shore shards are a steal. I didn't (and probably won't) buy any of the other packs but that one was a no brainer and I really have no true team to put him with at the moment.

https://swgoh.gg/u/iamryc/
  • westenger
    138 posts Member
    Options
    hey guys I want to thank you all for coming and sharing your thoughts. I was scared that long **** OP would scare people off and this thread would die. I was wrong. I appreciate all your opinions and after thinking this out I went ahead and bought the pack. No regrets, I'm happy I did it
  • Options
    It's actually a pretty good deal, may grab 1 myself
  • MayAddy622
    298 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I also grabbed him, especially playing in a wiggs meta shard. 20 dollars at four stars, to get him four stars just through shipments would take 6400 crystals. Which is nearly triple the cost of doing it that way. It's a lure by ea, but a very good one. As most people after buying it will purchase the shards in shipments which will still be 640 a pop to keep starring. Although he is still a beast at four stars.
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about status. There is nothing wrong with spending a bit to further your enjoyment. Its a good deal and you wont regret it later. I can think of a lot of things I spent 20 dollars on that I instantly regretted.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    Options
    He's almost plug and play anywhere good. Yes there are counters, but isn't there always? His taunt is so good and he's really beafy.
  • Broulan
    374 posts Member
    Options
    He'd definitely be great under EP. I don't have EP or Shore, but I see 'em enough to know he's a PITA. Doesn't he show up in the crystal store every once in a while? You could save crystals if you can pump out 600 tickets (or if your guild doesn't require it) and unlock him that way. Just an option if you wanna stay F2P and not wait quite as long.
  • Kracken
    81 posts Member
    Options
    westenger wrote: »
    I'm F2P so I don't know a lot about what are good deals and what not but this seems like a good one. 21.99€ for 80 shards (unlock him at 4*) for a toon that I will get 1 shard a day from hard nodes (when I reach there, which is still quite far) so that's an 80 day head start.

So once I convinced myself it was a great deal, I am still dubitative to pull the trigger. I haven't spend a single penny in this game. I take pride in being good (not great) in this game without spending vs other people that spend thousands in the game (without disrespecting "whales", everyone can spend their money the way the want).

My problem is I don't know if I want to do this and stop being F2P. I know there are other terms as "dolphins" for people who don't spend that much but still spend some, so I was wondering, if I bought this pack where would that put me? would I be a dolphin? or just a F2P player who spent once in a good bundle?

Apart from my "dilemma" I have another question, which arena team could I use with him? I'm around 300 in arena and would like to get higher, most people run Wiggs around my positions but the top players run ZMaul and Rex (june 2016 shard) I don't expect to use him in raids because he won't be at 7* for a long time. But I think he could be very helpful for arena and GW (I'm clearing GW quite easily right now but sure in the future it will get hard again)

My roster
    https://swgoh.gg/u/westenger/collection/

All comments are welcome,
    Thanks

This is the best deal I've seen from EA in ages, in any game.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Shore isnt rex, dn, gk, baze/chirrut, barisse. Sunfac was amazing at one point, and now he isnt. I think shore is a similar falling star. I sometimes wonder why i am still hard noding him. Unless u are balls out zader lead, i would rather retain f2p status and not spend on this toon. Even then, half the zader squads on my shard dont use shore. Gk and b2 dont leave room for shore. Best vader squad on my shard dont use him, and hardly any non zader lead use him. He is not a gamechanging toon for me, and crit immunity is a blessing at times.
  • Kracken
    81 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    Shore isnt rex, dn, gk, baze/chirrut, barisse. Sunfac was amazing at one point, and now he isnt. Unless u are balls out zader lead, i would rather retain f2p status and not spend on this toon.

I still think SunFac is a beast.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    In arena?
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    Shore isnt rex, dn, gk, baze/chirrut, barisse. Sunfac was amazing at one point, and now he isnt. I think shore is a similar falling star. I sometimes wonder why i am still hard noding him. Unless u are balls out zader lead, i would rather retain f2p status and not spend on this toon. Even then, half the zader squads on my shard dont use shore. Gk and b2 dont leave room for shore. Best vader squad on my shard dont use him, and hardly any non zader lead use him. He is not a gamechanging toon for me, and crit immunity is a blessing at times.

Shoretrooper is supposedly essential to Veers squad.
  • Theophany
    865 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I see shore as being somewhat useless with so many arena squads that have somebody that can dispel. Examples being Nihilus on basic, baze AoE
    Some of the brightest ideas are the hardest to see
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    I'm buying that pack myself soon. It's cheager than a night at the bar or buying a new console game, if that helps.

As far as what you're "status" is, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Probably "minnow", but that feels like an insult (I don't mean it to be). I know plenty of players who consider themselves f2p, but keep a crystal subscription (also a great deal) and may have bought one or 2 of these type packs in the past.

Fwiw, I consider a dolphin to be in the $200-$1000 range. I'm at the lower half of dolphin myself.
  • WompWompRat
    1833 posts Member
    Options
    I think it's a great deal for a great toon.
  • Options
    Want to spend? Spend...
    But be aware of the term "gateway drug"
  • Gavstar
    214 posts Member
    Options
    From a $0 spend FTP point of view, Shoretrooper is only a stop gap hero. I have since stopped using my 4* ShoreTrooper the moment I got General Kenobi (GK). GK is better in every way, and his is free. The catch is you needed to be a member of a HAAT guild for a long time to build.

Its still your choice, I do the $0 spend thing as a added challenge. There is no reward for being FTP, only hardship. Its only the enjoyment of being challenged, getting beaten (by dolphins and whales alike) and bouncing back to the top after awhile.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    Options
    Broulan wrote: »
    He'd definitely be great under EP. I don't have EP or Shore, but I see 'em enough to know he's a PITA. Doesn't he show up in the crystal store every once in a while? You could save crystals if you can pump out 600 tickets (or if your guild doesn't require it) and unlock him that way. Just an option if you wanna stay F2P and not wait quite as long.

My guild mate! :)
  • EkoDroid
    152 posts Member
    Options
    With events that need 7* toons, if you don't have a place for him I would skip it, which I am. Tempted, yes very, but like I said, when I get down to it, I am investing in a toon I could never get to 7*. Nihilus taught me that if you don't have a spot for the toon, you end up wasting a lot of resources for a toon you can't use in raids, etc. If I had a Zaul, I would be in love with my Nihilus, but I don't, and now regret the millions and gear I put into him. Just my humble opinion.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Theophany wrote: »
    I see shore as being somewhat useless with so many arena squads that have somebody that can dispel. Examples being Nihilus on basic, baze AoE

The thing about shore is once he is debuffed, his cooldown decreases. Put a little speed on him and not only does he taunt again very quickly, but heals again and puts on critical immunity again. I think he's actually better than just Baze without Chirrut.

Just because not everyone is using him in high end arena doesn't mean he isn't still awesome. Now that he heals himself and gives himself crit immunity he is even more annoying. BAZE DOESN'T TAUNT ON COMMAND.