Deathtrooper in empire squad

Andy0918
37 posts Member
Hey all, read somewhere that deathtrooper helps with the awful chaze plague. I run a palpatine lead with Vader, shore, TFP, and boba. I often swap in B2 to beat chaze teams and it helps some, but I feel he's like dead weight and would prefer someone who hit harder and helped much more. I am currently at ground zero on deathtrooper. No shards. I don't have the cantina node unlocked. I'm level 79 almost 80, I was wondering if you all thought the deathtrooper pack would help. Gearing him won't be an issue. I'm pretty maxed on my arena teams gear for what I have unlocked. I currently place around 40-20 in my arena, but at 30 and up to 1 there's a wall of teams that have a bad a** chaze duo that I can't seem to get past. Let me know what you all think.

Replies

• Cesium
    230 posts Member
    Options
    Yes deathtrooper is amazing, and the AoE dispel is awesome. But where he really shines is in his double tap on rebels: daze then stun. Works perfectly against chaze since both those debuff go a long way in controlling them. Plus, as long as you can kill one enemy first, deathmake can demolish baze/chirrut, making even your weakest attackers (vader, shore) hit for insane amounts. And if palps hits a deathmarked target with his basic... goodnight. Since his basic does damage multiple times to rebel enemies, it will proc the deathmark multiple times bringing baze critically low where any hit will finish him off. Another bonus is deathmark prevents revive, which helps if they have jyn/boba.

imo deathtrooper is diffidently worth it.
    F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • Options
    Good to hear, I just promoted my death trooper to seven stars and I look forward to trying him out. Unfortunately there aren't many rebels left out there.
    Empire Relic
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    Lol if you are still back in EP lead DT is your number 1 must tag along.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    Options
    I have a 7 star, 85, Gear 9 Death Trooper and was wondering the same thing, but with a zVader lead.

zVader (maxed out)
    Emperor (maxed out)
    TFP (maxed out)
    Shoretrooper (maxed out)
    Boba Fett (maxed out)

So should I max out Deathtrooper and put him in instead of Fett?

I'm on a launch shard and usually battle for low 40s in Arena.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Andy0918
    37 posts Member
    Options
    There's another question. Is he better than boba in my squad? Palpatine lead, boba Vader TFP and shore
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is useful for me since I am also a vader lead.

Vader (L+Z), Palpatine, Tie Fighter Pilot, Shoretrooper, B2 (Also have a maxed Bobba and zeta Sidious I can swap in, but I still find the B2 to be the best choice) Just begun starring up Nihilus, but maybe Deathtrooper would be a better choice?

on a June or July 2016 shard. I rank top 10 or 20 every day with this squad, and it seems to be mostly down to RNG, and speed mods against the maul teams I face. Been avoiding the Baze and Cheirut teams, and Jedi tend to be very easy.

My profile
    https://swgoh.gg/u/mzee/
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think a Krennic (L) with DT, Snowtrooper, ShT and Veers can be viable. AoE ability block team giving a lot of crit. chance to Veers and his troopers (40%) due to Krennic lead and Veers unique. Use CC modules and they will crit everytime.
    DT, Krennic and Veers can also AoE debuff, providing each other additional chance to AoE ability block. Snowtrooper will use his devastating AoE everytime since his cooldown will reduce at each turn. Veers will call 3 toons using his special, Krennic and DT synergies allows multiple attacks, and Imperial troopers bonuses ensure 4 toons to have more Health Stealth, Crit. Damage and Max Health.

EDIT: they will also recover a lot of protection due to Krennic's lead but also Veers' unique (+60% max protection if Veers, DT or Snwotrooper use their AoE).
  • Options
    Debuffs are not relevant really in the top tier of arena. Triple cleanse makes them pointless.

It's not rocket surgery.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Debuffs are not relevant really in the top tier of arena. Triple cleanse makes them pointless.

You cannot triple cleanse if you are ability blocked.
  • Options
    BulYwif wrote: »

Correct, all you need to do then is keep all 3 main characters completely ability blocked... whilst they run two auto-taunting tanks (GK and Baze). Good luck.

It's not rocket surgery.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Correct, all you need to do then is keep all 3 main characters completely ability blocked... whilst they run two auto-taunting tanks (GK and Baze). Good luck.

And this is the purpose of an AoE ability block which can bypass the taunt. Also, you act as you find this triple cleanse at each rank. There is now more variety in arena than just Rex, Chaze, DN and GK. Also, snowtrooper can AoE and easily crit (+55% crit chance using CC mods) at each turn, AB which cannot be resisted.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've seen people try him in arena and they don't go far and end up switching him back out. The triple cleanse/tenacity up teams are just too much for the debuff teams. Sure they can win on offense but defense they don't stand a chance. Debuff teams rely way, way too much on RNG. Hence the flood of Rex/Chaze in the arena. As has been said you have to get lucky for ability block to stick to every cleanser, and even then they'll simply cleanse everything and put tenacity up after it wears off.

The only remedy I can see for this is to make some debuffs unable to be cleansed while the character is alive like Zader's damage over time. Otherwise I see us stuck in this rut for a long time.
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    He's great till you try to put deathmark on baze and it gets dodged or you actually land it and it gets instangly cleansed. I've had a g11 DT basically since he came out. Tried with zader, palp, veers, and rex leads. Also his aoe basically just removes buffs for one turn and procs GK or baze to taunt.

Every once in awhile his basic will be useful but being so slow he needs real fast mods or will never get more than 2 or 3 turns. And it's not easy to do since your fastest mods will be on other toons.

I like his kit a lot but unfortuantly in top of arena he basically just sits there and procs triple cleanse and taunts so he just makes it easier to not win over other toons.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Options
    warmonkey wrote: »
    He's great till you try to put deathmark on baze and it gets dodged or you actually land it and it gets instangly cleansed. I've had a g11 DT basically since he came out. Tried with zader, palp, veers, and rex leads. Also his aoe basically just removes buffs for one turn and procs GK or baze to taunt.

Every once in awhile his basic will be useful but being so slow he needs real fast mods or will never get more than 2 or 3 turns. And it's not easy to do since your fastest mods will be on other toons.

I like his kit a lot but unfortuantly in top of arena he basically just sits there and procs triple cleanse and taunts so he just makes it easier to not win over other toons.

Maybe zetaed under Gar lead with Krennic for the extra attacks he'd be viable. I've yet to see that in action. Then you're sacrificing potentially better toons for those two. And of course no one would purposely hit Krennic while DT is alive so defense wouldn't be so great.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i'm gearing him up at the moment, mainly because i didn't want to waste double drops in cantina so i started farming DT isntead of mods.
    I'm now eagerly awaiting the tarkin rework. Not sure what is going to happen, but farming/gearing DT might pay off later when Tarkin's lead gets a zeta for example. Who knows, DT seems good enough on paper to be an essential part of a tarkin lead empire team.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    I have a 7 star, 85, Gear 9 Death Trooper and was wondering the same thing, but with a zVader lead.

zVader (maxed out)
    Emperor (maxed out)
    TFP (maxed out)
    Shoretrooper (maxed out)
    Boba Fett (maxed out)

So should I max out Deathtrooper and put him in instead of Fett?

I'm on a launch shard and usually battle for low 40s in Arena.

Under Vader DT is much more useful than boba but start working on DN 1st and then either DT or Zid.
  • Haxthar
    156 posts Member
    Options
    I run Zader, EP, TFP, Zylo and Shore in my Arena team. Looking to do the same thing, replace someone with DT, but who should get the Axe. All of them are lvl85 7* G11
  • Lugo
    417 posts Member
    Options
    I think a Krennic (L) with DT, Snowtrooper, ShT and Veers can be viable. AoE ability block team giving a lot of crit. chance to Veers and his troopers (40%) due to Krennic lead and Veers unique. Use CC modules and they will crit everytime.
    DT, Krennic and Veers can also AoE debuff, providing each other additional chance to AoE ability block. Snowtrooper will use his devastating AoE everytime since his cooldown will reduce at each turn. Veers will call 3 toons using his special, Krennic and DT synergies allows multiple attacks, and Imperial troopers bonuses ensure 4 toons to have more Health Stealth, Crit. Damage and Max Health.

EDIT: they will also recover a lot of protection due to Krennic's lead but also Veers' unique (+60% max protection if Veers, DT or Snwotrooper use their AoE).

That is a very good idea and I have one close to it. Try DK, DT, TFP, Veers, SnowT. Make DT fast he does aoe and removes taunt + CD on all others. He crits and all enemy toons go next with Rex lead but none can use Tenacity buff cause all are on CD. Gk will loose his taunt and all will loose their Crit immu. Next TFP does aoe and buff immu all. No crit immu on anyone. Then next out can be DK, Veers, or SnowT all have aoe and high crit. With enemies debuffed and all get crit hit then all get ability blocked. Haven't been able ro try this myself so just an idea. :)
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    @ChooChoobacca I run a standard (but ageing) Vader team (with Palpy, Nihilus, Boba and guest Kenobi) and have very little problem with the triple cleanse teams. Sure, things go really smooth when Boba (250 speed, always goes first) blocks all of them, but if not I can focus damage on Rex or GK while tenacity wears off, then let hell break loose when it has. They don't deal massive instant damage, so I can wait. I have a much harder time against Sith teams (I now have one where Assassin one-shot kills my Vader, it's not going well after that) or Resistance/R2. My team gets kicked back to the 20's every night though (Nov '15 Arena).

So I'm having the same question... Can I milk a little more mileage out of this team with a minor tweak (Death Trooper I guess), or do I have to make a U-turn and focus on something else entirely (or not that entirely, if I go Maul). Death Trooper certainly seems tempting, until, as @warmonkey puts it...
    warmonkey wrote: »
    He's great till you try to put deathmark on baze and it gets dodged or you actually land it and it gets instangly cleansed.

Yes I kind of remember seeing one in my Arena a while ago who was there, got stunned or something, didn't move a finger as I killed the other 4, and then was left standing as a wall protecting nothing at all. I have him 6 stars and G7 or 8, and am still very hesitant to put that last slice of investment in him. Will read this thread with the highest interest.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • jpi5k
    15 posts Member
    Options
    DT hasn't worked well for me so far. I brought him into my zMaul team to use against the Chaze + GK combos. His special ability actually triggers GK's taunt when using it to clear Bazes' auto taunt. I also think Death Trooper is bugged. I've applied daze to Rebels and then not stunned them on the second hit during the double tap. I have also failed to remove buffs when throwing the grenade, I forget the name of that ability but it's supposed to remove buffs.
  • Options
    I used him for awhile last February under Vader just before all the Mauls came out to play. He has an amazing piece of kit but he's too slow. Top 5 material but not #1. I geared up boba and switched them. 250+ boba worked a treat.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    jpi5k wrote: »
    DT hasn't worked well for me so far. I brought him into my zMaul team to use against the Chaze + GK combos. His special ability actually triggers GK's taunt when using it to clear Bazes' auto taunt. I also think Death Trooper is bugged. I've applied daze to Rebels and then not stunned them on the second hit during the double tap. I have also failed to remove buffs when throwing the grenade, I forget the name of that ability but it's supposed to remove buffs.

The stun is applied if Daze is already there and it can be resisted.
  • jpi5k
    15 posts Member
    Options

Hmmm doesn't seem like Death Trooper is as useful as I thought he would be... especially if stun can be resisted even though daze is present. I was hoping DT would be my answer to the Chaze plus GK combos but doesn't seem that way after real world testing.
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    Options

His grenade will clear buffs, but if any buffs are triggered because of the hit, like GK's buffs, those don't get cleared.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hmmm doesn't seem like Death Trooper is as useful as I thought he would be... especially if stun can be resisted even though daze is present. I was hoping DT would be my answer to the Chaze plus GK combos but doesn't seem that way after real world testing.

Like every toon applying debuffs, he needs Potency. DT is a good answer to Chaze imo. EP's lead gives him +32% potency.