Planetary Shields Destroy Ships

ESB introduced us to Planetary Shields that can deflect artillery bombardment from orbit. Clearly space vessels cannot fly through this shield, as we learned when General Veers had to land his army beyond the shields and proceed by land, underneath the shield's influence. Then in ROTJ, this is reinforced when the Rebel attack is aborted because the DS2 shield from Endor is still operational. And in Rogue One, we see what happens when a starfighter collides with a planetary shield: BOOM.

So we know that these shields exist in Star Wars, we know that "conventional" weapons cannot penetrate them, and we know that spacecraft cannot fly through them.

The Rebels on Hoth had a power generator they used to project their shield. This generator was not really that large. Much smaller than a planet, or even a moon. I would even say it was much smaller than a Star Destroyer.

It's a good thing the Empire never thought to put a shield like that on the Death Star itself. Would have been unstoppable.

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    ESB introduced us to Planetary Shields that can deflect artillery bombardment from orbit. Clearly space vessels cannot fly through this shield, as we learned when General Veers had to land his army beyond the shields and proceed by land, underneath the shield's influence. Then in ROTJ, this is reinforced when the Rebel attack is aborted because the DS2 shield from Endor is still operational. And in Rogue One, we see what happens when a starfighter collides with a planetary shield: BOOM.

So we know that these shields exist in Star Wars, we know that "conventional" weapons cannot penetrate them, and we know that spacecraft cannot fly through them.

The Rebels on Hoth had a power generator they used to project their shield. This generator was not really that large. Much smaller than a planet, or even a moon. I would even say it was much smaller than a Star Destroyer.

It's a good thing the Empire never thought to put a shield like that on the Death Star itself. Would have been unstoppable.
    They had a shield on the second death star. That was the whole point of the mission on the forest moon of endor
  • Gebuttersnaps
    478 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    DatBoi wrote: »

They had a shield on the second death star. That was the whole point of the mission on the forest moon of endor

He means onboard shields like capital ships, heavy fighters and bombers have.
  • My best guess is the Deathstar super laser draws too much power from the main reactors to be able to power a deflector shield that covers the whole battle station simultaneously.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    My best guess is the Deathstar super laser draws too much power from the main reactors to be able to power a deflector shield that covers the whole battle station simultaneously.

Good answer...good answer!
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    My best guess is the Deathstar super laser draws too much power from the main reactors to be able to power a deflector shield that covers the whole battle station simultaneously.

And it would rip a whole in the shield. Or get deflected (lol)
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • DatBoi wrote: »

That shield was on the moon, not on-board the station itself.

Plausible, but they would not have to power them simultaneously. Drop the shield long enough to fire the laser, then raise it up again as needed. Yes, they would be vulnerable while the shield was down, but that would be where the other turbolaser defenses come into play.
    Supercat wrote: »

DS2 had no trouble firing through the deflector shield projected from Endor.
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    Plausible, but they would not have to power them simultaneously. Drop the shield long enough to fire the laser, then raise it up again as needed. Yes, they would be vulnerable while the shield was down, but that would be where the other turbolaser defenses come into play.
    That actually sounds like a really cool space battle premise. Like, the Rebels have to wait for the Death Star to fire and then sneak in under the shield before it recycles. Then, they have to fly between the shield and the surface defenses (turbolasers, etc.) until they get to some point and can blow up the station. Similar to that Clone Wars episode where Anakin used the stealth fighter and tricked Admiral Trench into lowering the shields to fire the seeker missiles.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    J7Luke wrote: »
    That actually sounds like a really cool space battle premise. Like, the Rebels have to wait for the Death Star to fire and then sneak in under the shield before it recycles. Then, they have to fly between the shield and the surface defenses (turbolasers, etc.) until they get to some point and can blow up the station. Similar to that Clone Wars episode where Anakin used the stealth fighter and tricked Admiral Trench into lowering the shields to fire the seeker missiles.

Well Han in TFA had to fly the Falcon at lightspeed between the Starkiller base shield fluctuations.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »

That shield was on the moon, not on-board the station itself.

Supercat wrote: »

DS2 had no trouble firing through the deflector shield projected from Endor.

Uh. That's because it was far away from the Death Star.
    Magnetic pulses and stuff otherwise.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • The shield was between DS2 and the Rebel fleet. That's why they could not engage DS2 directly. They had to wait for the shield to be deactivated. Regardless of the distances involved, the shield was still strong enough to deflect bombardment and to smash ships that tried to go through it. Despite that, DS2 still fired through it with no issues.

SW magic technology, obviously!

Let's just be thankful they never put the shield generator on the DS itself, or it would have been an unbeatable doomsday weapon.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ya that always bothered me how the Death Star could shoot through an impenetrable shield, lol

At the end of the day it is a sci-fi/adventure movie and there has to at least be some level of suspense of disbelief.
  • I'm sure if the 2nd Death Star was finished, there'd be a shield generator within it. Rather than be protected at an outside source.

Isn't there 2 types of shields?

One that protects against solid objects (torpedoes, missiles, ships, etc), and the other was to only protect against energy.

I was sure I read that from somewhere...
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Carbonari
    676 posts Member
    I'm sure if the 2nd Death Star was finished, there'd be a shield generator within it. Rather than be protected at an outside source.

One that protects against solid objects (torpedoes, missiles, ships, etc), and the other was to only protect against energy.

In the KOTOR games you have two kinds of personal energy shields matching that description. Not sure about ships though.
  • I'm sure if the 2nd Death Star was finished, there'd be a shield generator within it. Rather than be protected at an outside source.

Yes. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Deflector_shield
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Well now that certainly explains it.

It would make sense that the DS2 would only have a concussion shield - protecting it from debris/hard objects (torpedoes, ships and asteroids etc) - as no blaster fire could do any real damage to it anyway, which is why it could shoot through its own shields.

As there are energy shields/ray shields that deflect blaster fire (personal shields and those used by ground forces) I am sure it is possible to then also have a 3rd type of shield that utilizes both forms of shield for maximum protection - like on ships etc, like the Wiki article suggests.

Now we can have multiple different shield types at any combination and now every shield type seen in star wars is now explained.