Color blindness help please

DarthJoeous
9 posts Member
edited May 2017
https://imgur.com/a/ighEt

I haven't said anything, because I know I'm in the tiny minority on this one, but can we PLEASE have four distinctly different colors. The two colors at the top look the same to me, and I always have to check how many secondaries are on it to know for sure. The same for the bottom two mods (please make green darker and gold more yellow). Both pairs look like matching pairs to me, and it drives me crazy. Can we have something along the lines of:
Gray
Primary/dark Red
Primary blue or purple
Orange
Gold

I would be thrilled to answer any questions the devs might have regarding whether the colors look too similar or they can be easily differentiated.

Please. It's intensely maddening.
Post edited by ShaolinPunk on

Replies

• Antares
    686 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    This is something I also constantly think about in my line of work and I try to generate images that also colorblind people can interpret.

+10^10 on this one. It should not have been an issue in the first place. A great resource for color maps can be found here:
    http://colorbrewer2.org
  • Cyrus_Ren
    133 posts Member
    +1

The community is with you. o:)
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Yes, this is immensely important. Please listen to this!
  • ++++++
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Tophar
    111 posts Member
    +1

That's a real life issue that can be fixed.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    edited May 2017
    That's a thought, but not all colorblindness is the same, so some colors that work for one person might be just as hard to differentiate for someone else. Definitely something to brainstorm.

I've moved this to Feedback for the Devs to see. Thank you for sharing this.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Thank you guys for the help! I really do appreciate it. I feel like a louse for even requesting it with as busy as they are with things, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Thank you guys for the help! I really do appreciate it. I feel like a louse for even requesting it with as busy as they are with things, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    @DarthJoeous
    No way man, we're all fans together, no matter what life has dealt you. For most of us, this is a nice break from the 'real' world for some fun. Like I said, not sure what the best fix could be, but this has been forwarded to the design team. ALWAYS share your voice....(just please follow the Forum Guidelines lol)
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Gazza1988
    131 posts Member
    What about having a set of "themes" like colour schemes. The whole community can use if as well.
  • For the issue of multiple kinds of colorblindness, multiple settings for a bunch of them?
  • MasterSeedy
    5036 posts Member
    +1
    We're here for you, @DarthJoeous

Lots of games or apps have an "Accessibility Settings" option when you open the settings.

Just add an option next to Audio and the others that says "Color and Text Settings", and give a couple options for Red/Green colorblindness and other major types.

You could also add a small Icon for quality that lays over the top right corner of the mod:

No icon or a tiny, solid disc = grey = minimum quality
    Horizontal line or a barbell with two tiny discs connected by a line = 2 "points of quality", one above the minimum
    Triangle = 3 "points of quality", two above the minimum
    Square or 4 pointed star = 3 above min
    etc.

This could be in the Accessibility settings, since the level of complexity of visual information is already quite high and we don't want it to be too cluttered for those who are farsighted but can see color just fine: for them the system would actually work better as is and we don't want to mess it up for them. We want the game to be fun for EVERYONE.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    https://imgur.com/a/ighEt

I haven't said anything, because I know I'm in the tiny minority on this one, but can we PLEASE have four distinctly different colors. The two colors at the top look the same to me, and I always have to check how many secondaries are on it to know for sure. The same for the bottom two mods (please make green darker and gold more yellow). Both pairs look like matching pairs to me, and it drives me crazy. Can we have something along the lines of:
    Gray
    Primary/dark Red
    Primary blue or purple
    Orange
    Gold

I would be thrilled to answer any questions the devs might have regarding whether the colors look too similar or they can be easily differentiated.

Please. It's intensely maddening.

Those 4 all look distinctly different to me, but I see your point, and wholeheartedly agree with what you're saying. There should at least be accessibility options in the settings for this. Maybe it could shift them to pastels? Maybe that's worse. I don't know the solution, but there must be something.
  • BobaTeaFett
    16 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Setting > Accessibility > Color Blind settings
    Post edited by BobaTeaFett on