Rex is out of balance with rest of game and needs a nerf...

Prev13456789
Some of you may know that I am against nerfs of any kind. I don't believe nerfs should ever be considered, primarily because of the amount of investment required in each toon we play, whether it is time, gear, credits, or even crystals. An investor needs certainty in their investment, and avoiding rule changes after an investment is only fair to the gamer. In addition, nerf requests usually originate from a gamers' lack of ability to adapt to evolving game styles, or lack of ability to win against certain toons and squads.

So it may come as a surprise to you, (I know it comes as a surprise to me), I am now convinced that Rex needs a nerf, whether a direct nerf or a new skill to counter his tm manipulation. His tm manipulation is unhealthy for the game. And there you have it - my reason for this nerf request - I'm being altruistic, and want to improve the health of the game for the good of all gamers.

But why should Rex be nerfed?

Look at this.

Impeding shot - 25% tm reduction against target.

Squad Discipline - non clone allies gain 30% tm, and 5% tm for every negative status effect dispelled. (doubled for clones)

Brother in Arms non clone allies gain 7.5% tm on opponents critical hit, (double for clones)

No toon should have this kind of an op kit, a kit which is destroying turn order in a massive way and invalidating the power of mods and speed so that they are irrelevant against Rex. Already the Rex usage as a leader is tops in meta, as gamers have figured out a new way to dominate the boards without investing in mods. Since Rex is now an easy farm, Rex usage will only increase from here, further eroding the game.

But why nerf Rex? Simple, his massively op tm manipulation has no counter. And that's it. Without a direct counter to such an op kit, the game is healthy.

But Rex is beatable... Let's be honest here. Just because Rex is beatable doesn't mean he is not op, all toons, are beatable, which I've proven 1st hand as there isn't a squad out there I can't beat. Nevertheless, rex is clearly out of balance and needs a nerf. 40% of gamers on swgoh.gg using Rex as a lead further illustrates how out of balanced Rex is.
what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?

Replies

• Cry me a river...
  • Waez
    286 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Rex is merely a symptom of a greater flaw in the game: There are characters with amazing kits without particular faction synergy.

GK, Nihilus, R2, Chaze, Boba, Wiggs, Palpatine, B2, Sun Fac...

All these characters share a common trait: they don't rely on anyone to be exceptional. They stand their ground by themselves, which made them meta by sheer existence at one point in the game.

The general tactic is to simply take the best characters individually and smash them in a team with Rex as a leader.

Unfortunately, nerfing Rex won't change much. You'd need to nerf every single member of Rex teams to create more breathing room for other teams.

The cycle of power creep will continue. We'll get a new faction or a faction pass which will overthrow Rex, until new characters are released to counter these new factions.
    Add these counters to a Rex team, and you got your brand new, boring, meta.
  • ishr
    38 posts Member
    Totally agree, Rex is completely broken and has dominated arena for way too long
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    rex is one of the few leaders that counters speed. I'm totally fine with that and don't want to see that changed.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Cry me a river...

River created! Routing to your mom's basement now! Please watch out and dont drown down there!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    rex is one of the few leaders that counters speed. I'm totally fine with that and don't want to see that changed.

While I see the point of the OP (and was surprised there was no mention of tenacity up), this is a good point. Without Rex, arena would be even more "best speed mods win" then it already is.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • You're looking at the wrong problem. The issue chaze/Kenobi. Put those three together with Rex and you have a team that's pretty much immune to rebuffs while still also having 1) two taunters 2) aoe and single target dispel 3) the best non zeta healer in the game 4) capability to land 30-40k single target damage

If it wasn't for those three, Rex wouldn't be anywhere
  • Nihilus lead is the answer to Rex lead. No more nerf threads. It's a silly topic
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    I've actually found GK lead in place of Rex, so I can get zR2 and zDN in the lineup with Chaze is way more effective than Rex lead.

As people go towards Rex lead, you'll see DN lead emerge. At which point, you'll see Zader emerge to counter that trend. That's the beaitiful thing with the direction of the game, no matter what emerges, there will be a counter.
  • Some of you may know that I am against nerfs of any kind. I don't believe nerfs should ever be considered, primarily because of the amount of investment required in each toon we play, whether it is time, gear, credits, or even crystals. An investor needs certainty in their investment, and avoiding rule changes after an investment is only fair to the gamer. In addition, nerf requests usually originate from a gamers' lack of ability to adapt to evolving game styles, or lack of ability to win against certain toons and squads.

So it may come as a surprise to you, (I know it comes as a surprise to me), I am now convinced that Rex needs a nerf, whether a direct nerf or a new skill to counter his tm manipulation. His tm manipulation is unhealthy for the game. And there you have it - my reason for this nerf request - I'm being altruistic, and want to improve the health of the game for the good of all gamers.

Look at this.

Squad Discipline - non clone allies gain 30% tm, and 5% tm for every negative status effect dispelled. (doubled for clones)

Brother in Arms non clone allies gain 7.5% tm on opponents critical hit, (double for clones)

No toon should have this kind of an op kit, a kit which is destroying turn order in a massive way and invalidating the power of mods and speed so that they are irrelevant against Rex. Already the Rex usage as a leader is tops in meta, as gamers have figured out a new way to dominate the boards without investing in mods. Since Rex is now an easy farm, Rex usage will only increase from here, further eroding the game.

But why nerf Rex? Simple, his massively op tm manipulation has no counter. And that's it. Without a direct counter to such an op kit, the game is healthy.

But Rex is beatable... Let's be honest here. Just because Rex is beatable doesn't mean he is not op, all toons, are beatable, which I've proven 1st hand as there isn't a squad out there I can't beat. Nevertheless, rex is clearly out of balance and needs a nerf. 40% of gamers on swgoh.gg using Rex as a lead further illustrates how out of balanced Rex is.

This again?
  • Some of you may know that I am against nerfs of any kind.

Yes, we all know. lol
  • Some of you may know that I am against nerfs of any kind. I don't believe nerfs should ever be considered, primarily because of the amount of investment required in each toon we play, whether it is time, gear, credits, or even crystals. An investor needs certainty in their investment, and avoiding rule changes after an investment is only fair to the gamer. In addition, nerf requests usually originate from a gamers' lack of ability to adapt to evolving game styles, or lack of ability to win against certain toons and squads.

Look at this.

This again?

Can we get the ability to downvote posts like this?

• No toon should be able to solo my entire team but Zylo does it.
    All he needs is some decent tenacity mods so he can resist my shock/heal immunity all the time and from this point on he is on rampage. He has health pool that is off the charts. On top of that he nullifies any %health abilities AND regains his protection every single turn. This my friend is what I call Over F'ing Powered. But you don't exactly see me making threads about it, right? Rex can currently be countered by non crit attacks. Meaning DN with a Sith team will most likely destroy this guy.

You said it yourself "lack of ability to adapt to evolving game styles".
  • I was thinking Rex needed a zeta personally. Maybe when you get your clones zetaed they can wear a helmet. Cool idea
  • OP are you a droid user or a level 70 player?
  • mlb1399 wrote: »
    I've actually found GK lead in place of Rex, so I can get zR2 and zDN in the lineup with Chaze is way more effective than Rex lead.

As people go towards Rex lead, you'll see DN lead emerge. At which point, you'll see Zader emerge to counter that trend. That's the beaitiful thing with the direction of the game, no matter what emerges, there will be a counter.

I don't see that happening. People don't like switching out their teams (partly because it's very difficult to farm up more than one arena worthy team and partly because they just don't like it) not to mention you still have to set a defense team that'll have to hold for 20 hours or so. The triple cleanse set up is still the best for that
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    His cleanse should not be able to give tenacity up if the ally has buff immunity. Any thoughts?
    Rex is a great toon that just has been forced to be overused because of zMaul.

The real deal is the ones behind him.. *Looking towards chaze* >:)
  • Gamorrean wrote: »
    His cleanse should not be able to give tenacity up if the ally has buff immunity. Any thoughts?

The whole point of the cleanse is to clear buff immunity first. Rex is good as-is.

• Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Gamorrean wrote: »

The whole point of the cleanse is to clear buff immunity first. Rex is good as-is.

But it could start a whole new direction of the game by making buff immunity more viable
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    You're looking at the wrong problem. The issue chaze/Kenobi. Put those three together with Rex and you have a team that's pretty much immune to rebuffs while still also having 1) two taunters 2) aoe and single target dispel 3) the best non zeta healer in the game 4) capability to land 30-40k single target damage

This!
  • ctyc123
    328 posts Member
    Tm manipulation as in zaul lead, SA and Zavage? Oh wait...
  • Bt_7274
    357 posts Member
    So ur zaul is not working huh? @Ig88isboss what do you think about this thread
    discord:Darth Woodman#6467,looking for shardmates:Warrior ìN,skirge2000,GlideX,erykgx,harunalp,TDB,Kiwida,dyloot,pm me on discord plz
  • CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    OP are you a droid user or a level 70 player?

Coming from a guy who had to make his own thread about nerfing Nihilus when there already was one, you're coming off more than a little hypocritical.
  • Rex and the Triple cleanse is an easy counter. Fett Lead that needs to be pretty fast backed by a DPS team of single point attackers (Currently I run Wiggs + Chaze -- and there goes my popularity. lol). Rex - AB block the team (pretty reliable with Boba) and focus down on toons with high damage attack. That way you limit the amount of TM gain and quickly create numbers for your team.

I was happy Rex took over, I would much rather face him than Maul and have a much higher win rate.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
  • You're looking at the wrong problem. The issue chaze/Kenobi. Put those three together with Rex and you have a team that's pretty much immune to rebuffs while still also having 1) two taunters 2) aoe and single target dispel 3) the best non zeta healer in the game 4) capability to land 30-40k single target damage

Brillant answer. People tend to look at soley one toon when fighting and losing to a team. Instead look at the entire team. Some work better together as we all know. While Rex is the top leader in Chaze/Gk/nihulis teams...its the team as a whole that causes problems.

Solution: change up your squad and mods. Did i like removing zMaul from my squad? Nope. He is my favorite ever. But if i want to be competetive and beat other people i must do what needs to be done.

I use a few different set up teams in arena now. One cant rely on a single team only to beat everyone ahead of you. Sometimes ill add B2. Sometimes ill remove B2. I do the same with Rex. It all depends on the squad im preparing to battle.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Tenacity up, ability block, shock, daze and CD increase. Then on the other side Nihilus(lead) and other offensive bonus leads and moving mods to decrease crit chance and bring up offense. (that last part would be referred to as strategy).

but yeah you are right no counters for a toon that has been around for a while and pops up as a good all around toon that many people can use to hold off the meta change as it happens.

Brillant answer. People tend to look at soley one toon when fighting and losing to a team. Instead look at the entire team. Some work better together as we all know. While Rex is the top leader in Chaze/Gk/nihulis teams...its the team as a whole that causes problems.

Solution: change up your squad and mods. Did i like removing zMaul from my squad? Nope. He is my favorite ever. But if i want to be competetive and beat other people i must do what needs to be done.

I use a few different set up teams in arena now. One cant rely on a single team only to beat everyone ahead of you. Sometimes ill add B2. Sometimes ill remove B2. I do the same with Rex. It all depends on the squad im preparing to battle.

Yeah on his own Rex Is pretty squishy and doesn't hit hard. Ultimately, I think we're going to start to see Rex get phased out in favor of tankier leaders like zBarris or Kenobi in order to allow R2 a spot in the triple cleanse set up

Yeah on his own Rex Is pretty squishy and doesn't hit hard. Ultimately, I think we're going to start to see Rex get phased out in favor of tankier leaders like zBarris or Kenobi in order to allow R2 a spot in the triple cleanse set up

Probably so. I was in the fence about using a zeta on Baris. I wanted to see how the fix for Chaze ended up. I was thinking zBaris, GK, Chaze and zzR2 or Gk, Chaze, zzR2 and zNihulis.
  • Another counter to it would be nice - really only DN has the direct counter against his TM leader - but since DN only impacts Sith that forces you in to a corner with DS only and Sith vs. all the cleanse that comes with Rex is at a big disadvantage in their kit since debuffs / control is almost totally useless. Seems the disconnect if I'm looking at it from a game perspective is...why does DN only impact Sith while Rex let's everyone join the party? Another design flaw...why doesn't Rex make clones great? He has clearly the greatest arena leadership ever created given longevity as a top leader across numerous phases of the game...yet clones are nowhere to be found.

DN lead should have expanded to all with others only getting a 30% offensive bump and maybe 75% or 100% health steal at max.

Chaze though is the only thing close to an outlier in the game. No matter what comes out since Chaze's release it serves to make that combo better. DN made Chaze better through the fake zDM meta via cleanse teams and R2 is blowing the doors off arena by putting Chaze on steriods. I don't put Rex anywhere near the Chaze level of utility in arena.