Just started KOTOR. Advice?

DatBoi
3615 posts Member
Any tips and tricks to be aware of when playing kotor? I heard dark side has better abilities and stuff, but id like to stick to the light.

Replies

• Mc_Iavell
    240 posts Member
    Maybe you mean SWTOR:
    I would reccomend you to choose basing on the storyline. From my point of view this is order:

1) Sith Inquisitor (you'll recognize him/her as Sith Assassin in SWGOH). Best story
    2) Jedi Guardian
    3) Jedi Consular
    4) Imperial Agent <-- mind blowing

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Mc_Iavell wrote: »
    Maybe you mean SWTOR:
    I would reccomend you to choose basing on the storyline. From my point of view this is order:

1) Sith Inquisitor (you'll recognize him/her as Sith Assassin in SWGOH). Best story
    2) Jedi Guardian
    3) Jedi Consular

No, i mean Knights of the Old Republic (2003). I got it on the app store for my macbook
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Oil HK frequently. Otherwise he gets cranky.

Oh, for SWTOR... Sith Juggernaut. Never enough tanks on, tooooooooo many DPS.
  • Mc_Iavell
    240 posts Member
    Ok for KOTOR again there is no need to pick a side for the abilities you'll use will work too even if you're in the wrong side. Just know that an opposite side skill will cost you double mana.

Follow the storyline here too, it will make your decisions on the way
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Since there is a level cap in KoTOR, my only advise may be not leveling up the main character until you reach Dantooine (level up only after you proceed enough in the story there) , I believe you can survive with level 3 until then, a bit hard, but pays off well further int he game. I did it lots of times.
  • I'm a self proclaimed kotor god. Run one story light, run dark then gray. Get mods, they make that game great, drop them in your override folder and enjoy!! For the end fight *spoiler* use the Electrical Capacitance Shield, it wipes Malak. If your game bugs in the Star forge, just aim your guy in between the droids where you get stuck, you'll get through eventually...
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Are there any stats/feats/whatever that aren't worth investing in? I'm still learning how all that works and its a bit overwhelming
  • Mc_Iavell
    240 posts Member
    Just pick up Force Speed as soon as possible, since sometime you will have to go through huge spaces and it's so boring..
  • ishr
    38 posts Member
    KOTOR was an awesome game... ridiculously good.
  • Glad to hear you're playing. Must have run that game 10+ times. I agree with the post above, go lightside first, then dark, then just do your own thing.

As far as feats:
    Force speed is essential for long walks on Dantooine etc. Flurry is better than Power Attack in most situations. Don't bother with armor unless you're planning on using weapons more than force powers.

Personally, I love using a double sided lightvsaber, that way you can use the same crystal for both blades.

Skills:
    Unless you love rolling solo, pick the path that gives more fears vs skills. Maybe focus on hacking, and medicine, use your companions skills to pick locks and other menial tasks, even using stealth. Thats what your companions are for and Mission Vao can stealth better than you. As the leader, you should focus on feats and force abilities.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you don't need to heat every little detail. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions, this game is like a good friend and it honestly changed my life for the better.

Possible spoiler ****Try and convert Bastila to be your dark lover, she's great when she flips****

• Boreas
    508 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Are there any stats/feats/whatever that aren't worth investing in? I'm still learning how all that works and its a bit overwhelming

If you'll go for light side, do not forget to upgrade "destroy droid" power . It will be necessary.
  • My god that power saved me in the last 2 hours of the game.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Im learning the importance of grenades. The first time i fought the leader of the vulkars i got slaughtered because i was just using basic attacks. The second time i switched between my team members while paused and planned out which grenades to use. I opened with concussion, the poison, then frag. I dont think any of my team lost any health the second time.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Great game, you can even get it for a tablet now.
    • Master Speed is a great power if you're offensively saber-based, whereas the horror/whirlwind is good to mass stun first if you're power-based.
    • Having at least one character with force heal really helps. It'll save your medpacks for the middle of tough fights rather than post-fight healing.
    • Sabers are dexterity based, not strength based, so having a high dexterity is more important. Force powers use both Charisma and Wisdom modifiers, and I'd suggest going Charisma for your main character since you get better dialog options.
    • Dual wielding sabers is a good option for both saber and power user, as you can accumulate more bonuses through saber upgrades.
    Have fun!
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »
    Great game, you can even get it for a tablet now.
    • Master Speed is a great power if you're offensively saber-based, whereas the horror/whirlwind is good to mass stun first if you're power-based.
    • Having at least one character with force heal really helps. It'll save your medpacks for the middle of tough fights rather than post-fight healing.
    • Sabers are dexterity based, not strength based, so having a high dexterity is more important. Force powers use both Charisma and Wisdom modifiers, and I'd suggest going Charisma for your main character since you get better dialog options.
    • Dual wielding sabers is a good option for both saber and power user, as you can accumulate more bonuses through saber upgrades.
    Have fun!

What do you mean by "power based"?
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    What do you mean by "power based"?
    Sorry, Force Power-based - basically a Jedi Consular (Mage) vs. a Jedi Guardian (Fighter). The stun keeps the hordes off you while you finish them off with Force Lighting and such. Force Speed gives you extra attacks and defense if you're a guardian. I find it easier to be a Light Guardian, or a Dark Consular, but have played quite a fun runs with different combos (my last was a Light Sentinel, a Fighter-mage essentially).
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • JynErso42
    197 posts Member

I remember how much I loved that game, and still do.

I don't think there's any one definitive way to play the game. Whenever I shared it with others everybody seemed to have their own preferences. In many ways, KOTOR basically shaped the modern RPG (or at least Western RPGs, J-RPGs are a whole other genre). Later games like Mass Effect, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls all build on the style of KOTOR.

It sounds like you've just started so you will probably need to do some exploring. As far as party members go, you can pretty much take them as they come and focus on the ones you find most interesting. Personally, I really enjoyed Mission, so I often had her in my party and she can be very useful. She's also just a really enjoyable character; one of my favorites in those games.

That's okay. I'll be honest and admit I always had some trouble understanding all the numbers. I'm not aware of any specific feats to avoid, but they do provide useful skills. Most of them either provide a skill useful in combat or some kind of bonus, so the best approach is simply to find the ones that best suit what kind of character you're going for.
  • Force Stasis, Choke, and Wound are the OP force abilities that will carry any KOTOR play through.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Ok, i have a very specific story related issue and i dont know where else to go for help.

On tatooine, how do i leave the tusken raider enclave without getting instantly killed by the turrets? I messed up the light side path of talking to the raiders because i didnt have HK-47 the first time i entered the camp and now they dont give me an opportunity to talk.

I know this isn't a kotor forum, but i couldnt find anything else useful online.
  • You need to be wearing the Tusken Raider outfits and have Bantha Sticks for everyone in your group if I recall correctly.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    You need to be wearing the Tusken Raider outfits and have Bantha Sticks for everyone in your group if I recall correctly.
    The outfits let me walk by the raiders outside the enclave (if i dont get too close) but once inside, they attack immediately.

I can fight them if i have to, the problem is the turrets that attack whenever i try to leave.
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    Just sit back and enjoy!
  • @Gank_Killer

He can't sit back and enjoy, he's being attacked by fcuking Tusken raiders!
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    Watch out for Ur'rr'oiur'rourou!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Mc_Iavell wrote: »
    Maybe you mean SWTOR:

2) Jedi Guardian
    3) Jedi Consular

No, i mean Knights of the Old Republic (2003). I got it on the app store for my macbook

Good for you!!! Awesome game!!! - Oh I envy you, to play that again for the first time, you never forget your first.

As for tips -
    * play as a male (you will see why later in the game)
    * Also talk to your team mates as often as possible - as this will unlock their individual story missions. If you fail to talk to them enough it is possible to complete the game and fail to do their missions.
    * Try to do everything you can - Gladiator Arena on Taris - to help with that there is green Echani armour unlocked by solving an easy riddl;e based puzzle in regard to a Bith band in one of the Taris apartment complex.
    * When you do get to Dantooine for Jedi training, I'd choose Jedi Consular if you like force powers (green blade). A blue bladed hilt can be found on Dantooine any way so you can get both. As for a purple crystal, that can be found at the end of the Tatooine mission in the back of the Krayt Dragon cave.
    * Buy all unique items from the vendor on Dantooine (like Fett armour) sooner rather than later in the game, as you will miss your chance (not being able to return to this planet later on in the game).
    * On Dantooine - do not kill Juhani, who is corrupting the grove, be a jedi instead and make her see the right way.
    * On the water world - underwater science base, unequip everything before you leave to walk the surface of the ocean, unequip ll team mate gear, then leave and return through the door. Your team mates will have the equipment re-equipped as well as you will have the stuff you unequipped in your inventory - essentially this is a little cheat that allows you to duplicate your items - which is really handy.
    Good luck and enjoy!