Frustration With The Game *Developer Response*

Replies

• SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    xtp2jt0j514b.png

I'm grossed out knowing it's at least that for me, if not more, and MOST of it is NOT actual "play", but rather mindlessly wandering the game looking for stuff to do, and the Jedi mind tricks trying to get me to spend more money. None of this is fun, not whatsoever.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • js4
    129 posts Member

I'm grossed out knowing it's at least that for me, if not more, and MOST of it is NOT actual "play", but rather mindlessly wandering the game looking for stuff to do, and the Jedi mind tricks trying to get me to spend more money. None of this is fun, not whatsoever.

I know this post will get deleted like everything else I post on here that's even the slightest bit critical- but what do you expect? The game is designed with addiction psychology at the forefront of everyone's mind, the daily rewards systems are a straight from the textbook. The whole idea is to keep players engaged with things that make them happy (like Star Wars memberberries) and then design content around micro transactions that will optimize payment from those who actually can afford/are willing to spend money on the game. Take a look at the whole Deathtrooper and Krennic release and its subsequent fallout: it was the head of a fine tuned experiment aimed at finding the optimal breaking point for extracting money from people. As soon as there was an organized threat they responded almost immediately: dialed the price models back a little bit and stepped up the forum moderation game. They knew it was coming, and they were ready to respond with a half measure. The sad part is there's literally no one there looking at data like "162 minutes a day" thinking "wow, that's a big chunk of time, I wonder if it's adversely affecting the lives of our players?" C.R.E.A.M.
  • js4 wrote: »

I know this post will get deleted like everything else I post on here that's even the slightest bit critical- but what do you expect? The game is designed with addiction psychology at the forefront of everyone's mind, the daily rewards systems are a straight from the textbook. The whole idea is to keep players engaged with things that make them happy (like Star Wars memberberries) and then design content around micro transactions that will optimize payment from those who actually can afford/are willing to spend money on the game. Take a look at the whole Deathtrooper and Krennic release and its subsequent fallout: it was the head of a fine tuned experiment aimed at finding the optimal breaking point for extracting money from people. As soon as there was an organized threat they responded almost immediately: dialed the price models back a little bit and stepped up the forum moderation game. They knew it was coming, and they were ready to respond with a half measure. The sad part is there's literally no one there looking at data like "162 minutes a day" thinking "wow, that's a big chunk of time, I wonder if it's adversely affecting the lives of our players?" C.R.E.A.M.

Not that I disagree, but do you want to get banned?
  • js4
    129 posts Member
    Not that I disagree, but do you want to get banned?
    Is that a threat?

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    js4 wrote: »

Wow, excess playing of video games can have adverse effects on your life? How profound.

Video games are entertainment by definition. If people are entertained by it, then its a good game. Idk about you, but i dont want to play a game i cant play for more than 5 minutes without getting bored.

Its like accusing McDonalds of making kids sick. All they're doing is making an appealing product. Sure its garbage, but nobody is forcing you to consume it.
  • I will agree that the only reason I still play is my guild. The drop rates and credit crunch are too annoying. My guild mates keep me interested.
  • pharp1010
    63 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    As my suggestion a inner guild practice PvP would help a lot. Able to try a lot of squad theory without having your arena spot plummet. Gw isn't that good due to squad pwr imbalance and tm being off.
  • js4
    129 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Wow, excess playing of video games can have adverse effects on your life? How profound.

Video games are entertainment by definition. If people are entertained by it, then its a good game. Idk about you, but i dont want to play a game i cant play for more than 5 minutes without getting bored.

Its like accusing McDonalds of making kids sick. All they're doing is making an appealing product. Sure its garbage, but nobody is forcing you to consume it.

Nobody is really forcing opiate users to continue shooting up either, while it takes two to tango and it's not the explicit fault of a heroin dealer that someone gets hooked they do have a role in it. Some people are able to take things in moderation, others aren't, and only the ultra capitalist will argue that it's ethically responsible to deliberately fuel addiction for profitability. There's an extensive philosophical debate on the topic, I'd put forth that the merchant is at least somewhat responsible for promoting healthy use of their product- it's something we've seen fast food companies, for example, start to do, but it's a virtually non-existent practice in the video game industry. Even lotto tickets have a gambler's anonymous hotline printed on them. Moral responsibility is relative of course, and judgement on the moral implications of promoting addictive behavior for profit is well beyond my pay grade, but it would be nice to see the CREAM culture dialed back a little bit on this game. Hell, even a photo-op charitable donation to a video game addiction group or research would go a long way in regaining some respect from many of us who are cognizant of these issues.

• Valace21
    90 posts Member
    I am addicted. Most certainly but not to the game necessarily. The game has become stale and boring yet I still log in.

I enjoy the social aspect of it most of all. I just connected with my arena shardmates an they are from all over the world, it's pretty cool.

It has been sometime since we heard anything other than there is a new game mode coming.

Ok.

No information or description, no anything on it other than it's coming.

So is Christmas
  • pharp1010 wrote: »
    I will agree that the only reason I still play is my guild. The drop rates and credit crunch are too annoying. My guild mates keep me interested.

Yes^^^
  • js4
    129 posts Member
    pharp1010 wrote: »
    I will agree that the only reason I still play is my guild. The drop rates and credit crunch are too annoying. My guild mates keep me interested.

Yes^^^

isn't this just part of the cycle of addiction though? we all need sober friends....
  • Viserys
    461 posts Member
    xtp2jt0j514b.png

I have the game running on emulator a lot, and it spends hours idling. So I think users like me are skewing these numbers upwards. I play a lot, but I definitely am not actually playing nearly three hours a day
  • HorishBathens
    631 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    My app is constantly running in the background because I hate the loading screens, and I'm done with my daily activities in about 5 minutes, not counting the time between refreshes. That's about the extent of my actual play time. And I will admit I am suffering some addiction, because it would be difficult for me not to log in for even just those 5 minutes to complete those activities.

I feel bad for the people who spend close to 3 hours a day in there.
  • +1 OP!
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    xtp2jt0j514b.png

Same. I must go through all the game nodes at least 5 times a day to make sure I've done it all/bought everything needed in the shops... not fun... I may have a problem.
  • Why would I farm a toon I already have 7-star?

XD what a nice burn we have here.
    SWGOH.gg profile: NicoleJudge
  • An I honestly don't see how that could be considered a response.

Yes we know how you feel?
  • Why would I farm a toon I already have 7-star?

Lol, thanks. #stopFOTPsyndrome
  • Viserys wrote: »
    xtp2jt0j514b.png

I have the game running on emulator a lot, and it spends hours idling. So I think users like me are skewing these numbers upwards. I play a lot, but I definitely am not actually playing nearly three hours a day

If you think that @CG_TopHat isn't analytical enough to differentiate idle play from actual movement in the game, you're sorely naive.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    If you think that @CG_TopHat isn't analytical enough to differentiate idle play from actual movement in the game, you're sorely naive.

Totally agree!
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Why would I farm a toon I already have 7-star?

Lol, thanks. #stopFOTPsyndrome

For me, FOTP is about a 8 month shorter farm then Ewok Scout.

Something about the drops rates doesn't seem right.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member

You can't remember brand new stuff like Jyn Erso, also if I've learned anything about stats it's that they are super hard to read, you could probably do every level 85 activity and look at your phone for no more than five minutes with the auto button. If there is any "addiction psychology" it wasn't good enough to keep people from quitting after the initial release of mods and the tank raid
  • @CG_Kozispoon Thanks for responding to the community. We definitely need a game mode that doesn't require energy. Something like Force Arena's pvp mode. It doesn't even need to have big rewards, just give us something else to do.
  • Bobby777
    614 posts Member

This guy makes some decent points and even if you don't agree with him then most of the stuff makes sense. I will admit that I have been addicted to other games in the past whether they are on mobile phones or on computers. Also the way that krennic and deathtrooper were released (who btw I was excited for the most out of all rogue one characters) was really the breaking point for me and convinced me to not spend any more money. The prices on this game are also what's keeping my addiction in check, so thanks EA.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    The gear grind is what hinders things for me the most. Characters are not useful for anything until they are raid or arena ready, and of course that takes weeks, or even months just to get a single character to that level. 2 regular AAT's and 2 heroic Rancors a week about for my guild. And, when you more often than not get pieces of gear you don't need after putting all that effort in (only one in my guild that solos Rancor as of right now, and top 2 in the AAT raid) you feel pretty shafted, and it is discouraging. More often than not I get more pieces I already have hundreds or over a thousand of. This is almost like a little slap in the face.

Once characters get to t8 or t9 then that is when the gear grind hits a wall, and it loses fun. I end up putting all my energy for a week or more into a single piece of purple or I just save my crystals and buy the gear. Meanwhile, i am spending nothing on upgrading the many other characters I have, not a single piece of energy. The shipments with the gear purchaseable with credits is nice, and I'd like to see some of those pieces taken out that I already have a major surplus of to give more room for pieces of gear I need. Stun cuffs, and mkv stun guns take a very,very long time to farm right now. Meanwhile, I have over 5 or 600 of the mk4 stun guns.

Ships on the other hand is something I enjoy, and I did not like it at first as I was grumpy that I didn't have a single character in my inventory past level 1 besides Jedi Consular that had a ship. The battles were also slow, and would frequently time out (great fix by the way with the 4x speed option). Now I have a good set-up that took a long time to catch up. Been number 1 or 2 for most of the past 7 or so days. I still think it takes far too long to star up some of the ships though like Slave 1, and Schmitar only being able to get them in one spot, and not a common drop. I'd love to see more variety of ships as currently there are only 3 fleet commanders, and every new ship that has been added has been put behind a pay wall and for newer characters that is also behind a paywall. I think Kylo Ren's was the only ship that was added later for characters already in the game. Although needing 3 characters leveled up to use it competitively is not an easy feat. It's behind a pay-wall anyway so I haven't seen anyone in my shard use it. Same goes to any of the other newer ships. I like the extra dynamic though with the need to gear characters to gear the ships.
  • Javik
    246 posts Member
    Okay is it just me but the OP talked about the new game mode using ships, where was this information shared?
  • Mzee wrote: »
    The gear grind is what hinders things for me the most. Characters are not useful for anything until they are raid or arena ready, and of course that takes weeks, or even months just to get a single character to that level. 2 regular AAT's and 2 heroic Rancors a week about for my guild. And, when you more often than not get pieces of gear you don't need after putting all that effort in (only one in my guild that solos Rancor as of right now, and top 2 in the AAT raid) you feel pretty shafted, and it is discouraging. More often than not I get more pieces I already have hundreds or over a thousand of. This is almost like a little slap in the face.

Once characters get to t8 or t9 then that is when the gear grind hits a wall, and it loses fun. I end up putting all my energy for a week or more into a single piece of purple or I just save my crystals and buy the gear. Meanwhile, i am spending nothing on upgrading the many other characters I have, not a single piece of energy. The shipments with the gear purchaseable with credits is nice, and I'd like to see some of those pieces taken out that I already have a major surplus of to give more room for pieces of gear I need. Stun cuffs, and mkv stun guns take a very,very long time to farm right now. Meanwhile, I have over 5 or 600 of the mk4 stun guns.

Ships on the other hand is something I enjoy, and I did not like it at first as I was grumpy that I didn't have a single character in my inventory past level 1 besides Jedi Consular that had a ship. The battles were also slow, and would frequently time out (great fix by the way with the 4x speed option). Now I have a good set-up that took a long time to catch up. Been number 1 or 2 for most of the past 7 or so days. I still think it takes far too long to star up some of the ships though like Slave 1, and Schmitar only being able to get them in one spot, and not a common drop. I'd love to see more variety of ships as currently there are only 3 fleet commanders, and every new ship that has been added has been put behind a pay wall and for newer characters that is also behind a paywall. I think Kylo Ren's was the only ship that was added later for characters already in the game. Although needing 3 characters leveled up to use it competitively is not an easy feat. It's behind a pay-wall anyway so I haven't seen anyone in my shard use it. Same goes to any of the other newer ships. I like the extra dynamic though with the need to gear characters to gear the ships.

This is spot on.
  • JRCPKT99
    292 posts Member

This sums it up quite well.

The new game model, and I don't blame EA and certainly they didn't invent it, is to prey upon human behavior patterns.

As a young adult and father of three, I am deeply concerned about the direction that mobile games have taken and the predatory patterns on which they are based.

When I read posts like this, I am conflicted as I have helped support this behavior, but I also have throughly enjoyed the game that they have made and do want to support the developers and love playing the game daily for over a year.
  • Mzee wrote: »

Very accurate. The best and fastest way to gear up a character is to buy the piece. Save save save purps then wait for them to rotate into shipments. It's discouraging. I feel like many people weren't that pleased with ships when they first came out. Farmed enough to get the zeta challenges and were good. Then we started rolling on the HAAT and started focusing on ships. You can see the difference in arena. I run tarkin and there is almost a good amount of empire ships out there. Tie reaper and the new mandalorian one. But constantly waiting on vader's tie and then boba (I didn't focus on scimitar) and who knows how long for the new one. It's honestly too much. They need to add more ships and make others more farmable. Having gear zetas and blueprints are cool, but space it out a little. Or rotate the rare spawn rate. Vader's tie should ve went into slave 1 and scimitars slot and them two drop like the other ships.

• kaether
    13 posts Member
    JRCPKT99 wrote: »

This sums it up quite well.

The new game model, and I don't blame EA and certainly they didn't invent it, is to prey upon human behavior patterns.

As a young adult and father of three, I am deeply concerned about the direction that mobile games have taken and the predatory patterns on which they are based.

When I read posts like this, I am conflicted as I have helped support this behavior, but I also have throughly enjoyed the game that they have made and do want to support the developers and love playing the game daily for over a year.

Right. You don't have to be a genius to see what mobile games are nowadays. Behind a polished and shiny surface(like in this game), there's an empty space filled with repetitive actions, mindless grind for items or something else, other several minor things, and always aggressive advertisement/propaganda. The only thing that makes me HAPPY is NOT giving them money, the only game I poured some money in was 10 years ago and a server lasted 1 year, prices were cheap. Since then, nothing and it will stay the same forever till I find a game that satisfies me. I'm desperate to find that kind of mobile game, I've ditched so many mobile games I can't even remember, maybe hundreds. If I want a TRUE game, I always play it on PC, buy the Dvd/Blu-ray/whatever and enjoy it, no hidden costs involved whatsoever.