Frustration With The Game *Developer Response*

13Next

Replies

• +1

I've been trying to farm a single triangle Tenacity mod for so long now... Just 1 would be great, but nothing... Maybe half the time I don't get any mod at all. I get drop rates can never be 100%. Certainly, I'm not asking for that. But just one triangle, please!

I could also go on about gear and zeta farming... So slow.
  • lot of things in the game are frustrating. i really hope CG and EA keep fixing them up.
    and i feel you man, i also find myself bored a bit, checking out teams in raid just to waste my time in the game.
    tbh if not the guild, i dunno if i'd keep play.
    and while the QoL update was great, the toons that coming out are untouchable for me, and also uninteresting.
    i love the SW movies and i have no idea what the hell is that phoenix squad or gar saxon. maybe im not alone and this is why i dont even see them...
    i really hope the next update give us new content, being able to farm more toons, and a REAL fan favorite toon (Jedi Luke, Jabba, normal chewy that synergize with han...) and not thrawn or someone else i dont even know.
  • Viserys wrote: »
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    xtp2jt0j514b.png

I'm grossed out knowing it's at least that for me, if not more, and MOST of it is NOT actual "play", but rather mindlessly wandering the game looking for stuff to do, and the Jedi mind tricks trying to get me to spend more money. None of this is fun, not whatsoever.

I have the game running on emulator a lot, and it spends hours idling. So I think users like me are skewing these numbers upwards. I play a lot, but I definitely am not actually playing nearly three hours a day

If you think that @CG_TopHat isn't analytical enough to differentiate idle play from actual movement in the game, you're sorely naive.

Any published/openly provided stat is the most favorable possible which meets the absolute loosest definition. To be think otherwise is sorely naive, unless you think they are incompetent at their job.
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again. What we need in more varied PVP. As it stand you make one team and grats, you now care about 5 of your toons and will use them for months and months, how fun...

There should be another PVP that would have various restrictions(attackers only, separatist only, no rebels, etc...) and yet another PVP mode without consequences.

They have to means to make the game more fun but EA is not about making fun games, it's about make profitable games, huge difference.
  • js4 wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Wow, excess playing of video games can have adverse effects on your life? How profound.

Video games are entertainment by definition. If people are entertained by it, then its a good game. Idk about you, but i dont want to play a game i cant play for more than 5 minutes without getting bored.

Its like accusing McDonalds of making kids sick. All they're doing is making an appealing product. Sure its garbage, but nobody is forcing you to consume it.

Nobody is really forcing opiate users to continue shooting up either, while it takes two to tango and it's not the explicit fault of a heroin dealer that someone gets hooked they do have a role in it. Some people are able to take things in moderation, others aren't, and only the ultra capitalist will argue that it's ethically responsible to deliberately fuel addiction for profitability. There's an extensive philosophical debate on the topic, I'd put forth that the merchant is at least somewhat responsible for promoting healthy use of their product- it's something we've seen fast food companies, for example, start to do, but it's a virtually non-existent practice in the video game industry. Even lotto tickets have a gambler's anonymous hotline printed on them. Moral responsibility is relative of course, and judgement on the moral implications of promoting addictive behavior for profit is well beyond my pay grade, but it would be nice to see the CREAM culture dialed back a little bit on this game. Hell, even a photo-op charitable donation to a video game addiction group or research would go a long way in regaining some respect from many of us who are cognizant of these issues.

I believe, in the spirit of "promoting responsible use..." that drop rates would be a nice step in the right direction. Like, as mentioned, fast food companies showing the calories and fat content of their food. If you knew there was only a 1% chance that something would drop, maybe users would make a better decision regarding use of time and in-game resources (energy, crystals, etc... )
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    I've been playing this game and approaching my first year mark next week. I never loved a game, a mobile game especially this much and until a month and half ago, I wasn't ever bored with it. Now it's getting kinda stale, and the cookie cutter teams makes the staleness somewhat worse.

I personally am not bored because of the meta or am I complaining about it, I do feel that's somewhat of a contributing factor but I don't think that's why I'm bored.

I think one of the reasons is the fact that there's no gamemode you can play eternally. GW is no longer enough to keep me entertained. I remember when I was a new player I'd always wait for the daily reset so I can play around with a toon I just got to 7* or unlocked in GW. I'm still like that today, anytime I G10 a toon, I'm always eager to play around with them in GW.

I do, however, feel like the credit crunch is the least of my problems, and no, I'm not one of those guys with 10m+ credits. The gear crunch is a bit frustrating though, but I kinda learned to embrace the crummy drop rates. I think it makes gearing a toon feel more rewarding. The least talked about "crunch" - crystal crunch isn't a problem for me either as I think premium currency shouldn't be handed out and CG is good at doing so.

Raids have gotten redundant to the point i just usually log a 0. I find it boring to repeat the same process over and over and over. In fact, I've actually gotten better rewards logging a 0 as of now. <--- True story

I don't want to come across as one of those players who are too contemptuous, but I am getting pretty frustrated. I know a new gamemode is coming out, but the fact it's using ships just make me no longer interested in whatever it is, but I won't say anything more as I don't want to judge something we have little details on.

My point is, I feel as if I'm playing because of addiction, not for pleasure. I've seen some people here suggest a sort of practice mode where you get no rewards but can play it infinitely, which sounds great. Here's to hoping the new gamemode will keep me and other players interested longer than ships.
    +1

Plus i don't understand why there isn't a "free arena" where u can try diferent strategies on battles without expending energy/crystals. And above all, have fun without the feeling u are playing because u need to!

Rewards at raids must be improved, why not give a garantee full gear for the top spots? By the way we need improvements on rewards on every place on this game, farm gear seems endless.
  • Everybody agrees. Gear is the worst. It's by design. When I first started playing and reading the forums I had no idea what the "precraft" was all about. And now I do- the reverberations are still felt a year later. The complaint about gear has been echoing on the forums for the same amount of time. Devs read it. Every interview with Jesse or anyone else the gear question comes up. I am a hopeful in general but not with this. There is a special game mode that is suppose to come out that will help the gear bottleneck. To me it's smoke and mirrors. No word of what the event is, if it stays or if it's just a flash in the plan. There has been little bumps to gear- ship shipments, daily reward box but it hasn't helped. Pretty sure a portion of profits are from the gear. Companies need to make money and I don't see it changing.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    +1

I've been trying to farm a single triangle Tenacity mod for so long now... Just 1 would be great, but nothing... Maybe half the time I don't get any mod at all. I get drop rates can never be 100%. Certainly, I'm not asking for that. But just one triangle, please!

I have tons of Transmitters, Processors, Data Buses, and few Holo-Arrays. I'm pretty certain that the drop rate is not the same for the different mods. The mods that only have 1 or 2 possible primaries are the ones that I stockpile, and then holo-arrays in particular can have a few different primaries so it makes it even harder to get one that I want to use.
  • I wouldn't mind if I was able to pit my Toons against one another, even hypothetical Toons that belong to no one. Without a fee to play, anytime of the day, and as many times as I want.

Is that sadistic of me?
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Viserys wrote: »
    xtp2jt0j514b.png

I'm grossed out knowing it's at least that for me, if not more, and MOST of it is NOT actual "play", but rather mindlessly wandering the game looking for stuff to do, and the Jedi mind tricks trying to get me to spend more money. None of this is fun, not whatsoever.

I have the game running on emulator a lot, and it spends hours idling. So I think users like me are skewing these numbers upwards. I play a lot, but I definitely am not actually playing nearly three hours a day

If you think that @CG_TopHat isn't analytical enough to differentiate idle play from actual movement in the game, you're sorely naive.

Any published/openly provided stat is the most favorable possible which meets the absolute loosest definition. To be think otherwise is sorely naive, unless you think they are incompetent at their job.

Roasted
  • Does this count time, where your game could be open, but your phone/tablet screen is locked. I rarely force close my game. At any rate, there is a fair amount to do, but it is usually done in bursts. eg raid time. logins for energy, dailies etc.

Something amazing would be a mode where you can theory craft with your characters. EG set up battles to test out different strategies, or in guild duels, or guild vs guild battles. Otherwise guilds are a collection of people fighting for higher raid rewards. (terrible summary) This would make so many people happy.
  • This happened with Battlefront - Ea and co released it and people were so excited to get a new title to a GREAT game - but it was all a repetitive multiplayer grenade fest.

The game needs variation within... not DS node 8G sometimes has 5 people to fight some times 4.... but like, something that looks like an actual level. Multiplayer is important, no doubt, but Battlefront showed that without solo content, even a big ticket game and a big ticket name can't stand.

It's been hit upon again and again -- the gear frustration is real and is intended to provoke buying. It works, is the problem. And you can't get people to 'just stop'.

If I'm going to stop playing, and I've considered it, it'll be because I'm simply sick of how long you need to wait just to get one piece of gear for one toon's slot.

I forsee a gear event where we'll be getting random rewards... seeing how beneficial random has been so far....

We REALLY need to be able to turn in old gear and, whether it's a shard shop type thing that transfer's excess gear into a currency... but that you can use that currency to get the exact gear you need. Even if the transfer amount was poor -- that any excess you get could be helping you to gear the toons you need/want would be huge.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • I forsee a gear event where we'll be getting random rewards... seeing how beneficial random has been so far....

We REALLY need to be able to turn in old gear and, whether it's a shard shop type thing that transfer's excess gear into a currency... but that you can use that currency to get the exact gear you need. Even if the transfer amount was poor -- that any excess you get could be helping you to gear the toons you need/want would be huge.

+1
    That would be awesome. I'm fed up with getting the exact same two gears as reward from HPit, and challenge gear from freaking HAAT.......
    SWGOH.gg profile: NicoleJudge
  • Speaking of HAAT rewards just came in... can't use any.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Speaking of HAAT rewards just came in... can't use any.

EBUp7eWUum5Ow.gif
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber

Uh I don't get what you mean by that @Vinny_Vader_Vedi would you elaborate please? :disappointed:

Uh I don't get what you mean by that @Vinny_Vader_Vedi would you elaborate please? :disappointed:

Lol - just same ole gear same ole gear. Granted maybe some will be used in the future. Things are built on hope I hear.

Lol - just same ole gear same ole gear. Granted maybe some will be used in the future. Things are built on hope I hear.

Ah thanks :smiley:
    And """maybe"""
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    One possible fix I could see being a good idea is getting the option between 3 pieces of gear, which one you want. Do this for every piece you are guaranteed in the raid in your rewards. Maintains some randomness,but will alleviate a lot of the complaints on raid rewards.
  • Vampire_X wrote: »
    @IdraRage

There is alot to do in the game! Also so many things to explore, infact i would say people want a ton of content to keep up with the amount they play

Did you know? 162min a day avg!! Check it out

xtp2jt0j514b.png

I feel like I play a little less than that, but I hope I'm wrong.

Good grief, if that number is correct, that's both scary and sad.
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Viserys wrote: »
    xtp2jt0j514b.png

To the contrary. Regardless of the idle versus movement, the majority aren't idling with their device just sitting there. There's movement.

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Pahnub
    32 posts Member
    Viserys wrote: »
    xtp2jt0j514b.png

To the contrary. Regardless of the idle versus movement, the majority aren't idling with their device just sitting there. There's movement.

Q4 as far as I can tell was Jan 2017- Mar 2017, during this time we had... tournaments, you know, the things EVERYONE hated because of the amount of time people spent in game grinding them. Its funny because the earning report says people were spending 162 hours playing the game and customer satisfaction was at an all time high. Pretty sure the majority of the player base was not happy during the tournament era, in fact it was so bad tournaments came to crashing halt.

Now if that play time number remains that high during the next quarter, then I'm wrong.
  • I remember when the game was fun. When I was playing rag-tag teams against the "meta" and keeping high ranks in the arena while collecting and "maxing" the characters I enjoyed.

Problem is, while this game has well over 100 characters, only 6 I haven't unlocked, I have no attachment to about 90% of them. They are either no good in the game or nothing to me as far as my fandom of Star Wars goes. If collecting is the main point, then they are doing it wrong. They should have multiple versions of the main characters (I mean there are 6 to now 8 movies that some of these characters are in not to mention Clone Wars and Rebels.) Instead we have a max of 2 versions of some mains with tons of generics. I'm not on a quest to collect Star Wars generics, I'm a fan of the movies and I want to use those characters. Think about this honestly, if CUP was simply named and had the likeness of one of the mains, same kit and all, don't you think more people would have invested in that character? These new nobodys that keep getting released (ie. Non-mainstream cinema characters) are killing a lot of us. Give us a Luke that has special interactions that make him good in pve, another for GW, and keep your Arena Luke on the shelf. Give us movie mains to collect for goodness' sake!

Arena is going to be "unbalanced" always, we just have to keep it from going too far. If the point is to use arena to drive crystal sales, again, it seems they are off. Sure, keep people seeking new teams is part of it, but keeping people interested in general is another part. So many people I've interacted with through the game and many on the forum hold the arena in low regard. The consensus is that guilds and social aspects keep people playing. It wasn't always that way. They went too far and broke it, which was easy to do given its always fragile state. It is boring to win in the arena. Wrap your mind around that. I used to spend $1.99 on crystals to fight for fun. Now I don't even do all 5 fights. I went from arena warrior to who cares....when I was winning!!

Ships stink. Too long of a farm, too long of fights, the extra animation is taxing on lower quality phones, like mine. Nothing good but the rewards structure. Kudos for that. Perhaps you can take that positive to other areas of the game.

So much potential, but raids are now boring, arena is broken, ships never really happened, pve is too limited. Make story modes, make more movie mains, fix arena again (as in keep multiple teams both viable and accessible.) Example: zMaul is an easy team to farm; Triple cleanse not so much. First Order seems fun and competitive, hard farm...but Wiggs is easy to get. Rogue One would be so fun, but hard to farm. Jedi aren't though. So the arena is mostly zMaul like Droids before it, but it raised the bar so high that only specific teams survived. Hard to farm teams, and of limited variety. Hence the boring 3 team fights from about 30ish and higher. Make more competitive teams easier to farm. Let ships die and make the next content better than that. Please give us a real type of pve of some sort. Not simply stages to hold gear. The multiple mains idea will sell, you gotta see that, and having different versions for different game mode exploits is gold.

@CG_CapGaSP @CG_Kozispoon @CG_JohnSalera @EA_Jesse
  • I remember when the game was fun. When I was playing rag-tag teams against the "meta" and keeping high ranks in the arena while collecting and "maxing" the characters I enjoyed.

Problem is, while this game has well over 100 characters, only 6 I haven't unlocked, I have no attachment to about 90% of them. They are either no good in the game or nothing to me as far as my fandom of Star Wars goes. If collecting is the main point, then they are doing it wrong. They should have multiple versions of the main characters (I mean there are 6 to now 8 movies that some of these characters are in not to mention Clone Wars and Rebels.) Instead we have a max of 2 versions of some mains with tons of generics. I'm not on a quest to collect Star Wars generics, I'm a fan of the movies and I want to use those characters. Think about this honestly, if CUP was simply named and had the likeness of one of the mains, same kit and all, don't you think more people would have invested in that character? These new nobodys that keep getting released (ie. Non-mainstream cinema characters) are killing a lot of us. Give us a Luke that has special interactions that make him good in pve, another for GW, and keep your Arena Luke on the shelf. Give us movie mains to collect for goodness' sake!

Arena is going to be "unbalanced" always, we just have to keep it from going too far. If the point is to use arena to drive crystal sales, again, it seems they are off. Sure, keep people seeking new teams is part of it, but keeping people interested in general is another part. So many people I've interacted with through the game and many on the forum hold the arena in low regard. The consensus is that guilds and social aspects keep people playing. It wasn't always that way. They went too far and broke it, which was easy to do given its always fragile state. It is boring to win in the arena. Wrap your mind around that. I used to spend $1.99 on crystals to fight for fun. Now I don't even do all 5 fights. I went from arena warrior to who cares....when I was winning!!

Ships stink. Too long of a farm, too long of fights, the extra animation is taxing on lower quality phones, like mine. Nothing good but the rewards structure. Kudos for that. Perhaps you can take that positive to other areas of the game.

So much potential, but raids are now boring, arena is broken, ships never really happened, pve is too limited. Make story modes, make more movie mains, fix arena again (as in keep multiple teams both viable and accessible.) Example: zMaul is an easy team to farm; Triple cleanse not so much. First Order seems fun and competitive, hard farm...but Wiggs is easy to get. Rogue One would be so fun, but hard to farm. Jedi aren't though. So the arena is mostly zMaul like Droids before it, but it raised the bar so high that only specific teams survived. Hard to farm teams, and of limited variety. Hence the boring 3 team fights from about 30ish and higher. Make more competitive teams easier to farm. Let ships die and make the next content better than that. Please give us a real type of pve of some sort. Not simply stages to hold gear. The multiple mains idea will sell, you gotta see that, and having different versions for different game mode exploits is gold.

@CG_CapGaSP @CG_Kozispoon @CG_JohnSalera @EA_Jesse

Couldn't agree more, bud/former Republic member :cry:
  • @StormTro0p3R_H

I agree. Also the ship animations bug my device out as well. I use ipad2, played since Decmeber of 2015 had no problems. A year later ships are released and I can't even play a single battle without my iPad crashing. I had to resort to playing on an iPhone 6 just to do ships. I'm sure a lot of people are happy about this new update...but when I heard it will involve ships I just died a little bit inside cause I know exactly what I can expect with my 5 year old iPad 2 device:(

Im sure the day is coming when we will have Gw and Raids that only use ships to complete. I just hope to have the newest model iPads by then:(
  • Mzee wrote: »
    +1

I have tons of Transmitters, Processors, Data Buses, and few Holo-Arrays. I'm pretty certain that the drop rate is not the same for the different mods. The mods that only have 1 or 2 possible primaries are the ones that I stockpile, and then holo-arrays in particular can have a few different primaries so it makes it even harder to get one that I want to use.

Oh, they absolutely have different drop rates. Triangle is the rarest by far, it seems. I think someone calculated drop rates for each mod, circle and square are the most common. Basically, the left side of mods is easy, right is hard.
  • Ratman46
    29 posts Member
    Agree with a lot of these posts. The time taken to play is too long now even with the 4x speed increase, adding more game modes will increase time and grind further unless they reduce how much time is spent now elsewhere.

I'll support with a payment every so often but will never spend the vast sums they seem to think are acceptable to unlock a toon to 7*.

With gear you don't even need to bother unlocking some of the new ones to 7*. Gear level should be linked to * level, can only get to gear level 9 if toon is 5*, 10 if 6* and 11 if 7*. Can't implement now tho which as it will cause havoc.

Biggest beef at the moment is the disparity between zeta drops, others are moving faster due to pure luck on the drop rate. The guild member I've already mentioned in another thread is near his 5th, gets drops pretty much guaranteed on 1 of his 2 daily challenges, he's also f2p.

I get 1 a week if I'm lucky, the guild is seeing this and are getting just as frustrated. Poor game design to let this happen.
  • I really like this game, except for ships. I did enough with ships to get access to the zeta challenge, but was hoping that I could ignore them beyond that..I just do a single ship battle & then retreat for the daily. Now that a new game mode has been announced to involve your character & ship roster, I'm worried that the enjoyment I get from playing will be outweighed by my frustration over being forced to play modes I don't like, in order to stay competitive in the one that I started playing the game for.

I'm sure plenty of people like ships & the game will do fine with their addition. Hell, maybe they'll grow on me, we will see. I just wish they had spent their development time on anything but ships.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    I really like this game, except for ships. I did enough with ships to get access to the zeta challenge, but was hoping that I could ignore them beyond that..I just do a single ship battle & then retreat for the daily. Now that a new game mode has been announced to involve your character & ship roster, I'm worried that the enjoyment I get from playing will be outweighed by my frustration over being forced to play modes I don't like, in order to stay competitive in the one that I started playing the game for.

I'm sure plenty of people like ships & the game will do fine with their addition. Hell, maybe they'll grow on me, we will see. I just wish they had spent their development time on anything but ships.

Totally agree. I feel like I'm forced to play ships for Zeta materials so I can be competitive in the primary portion of the game. I think the ship battles were well done in terms of animation and game play, but there's no content or anything that makes it compelling to play. Ship battles for me are really "Zeta Currency Battles."